Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

UPDATED ' EOIN DOYLE SET TO JOIN '

Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:38 pm

Updated :bluescarf:

EOIN DOYLE is in line to make a shock move to Preston for £850,000.

Doyle, 27, joined Cardiff City from Chesterfield for the same fee in February after netting 25 times for the Spireites in 33 games last term.

He had previously moved on free transfers four times, from Shamrock Rovers to Sligo Rovers and onto Hibernian and Chesterfield.

The Tallaght man scored a respectable five goals in 11 starts and five substitute appearances for the Bluebirds to end the season with 30 goals.

But he has not featured in any of their five league games to date with his only outings coming in the League Cup.

And the Welsh outfit are now expected to recoup their money by selling him to Championship rivals Preston.

Newly-promoted Preston have scored just twice in the league with boss Simon Grayson believing Doyle can give them more of a cutting edge.

UPDATED
Preston North End are lining up a bid to sign Cardiff City striker Eoin Doyle on a season-long loan.

Should City sign the striker they are in talks with, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Eoin Doyle sent out on loan.

With Mason, Jones and even Revell getting the nod ahead of him and another striker coming in, I don't see many opportunities for Doyle coming anytime soon.

He had a chance at MK Dons and didn't impress.

I very well could be wrong but wouldn't be surprised if he moved on.

Re: ' EOIN DOYLE '

Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:46 pm

Shame, I thought he had something about him towards the back end if last season. Bit sensible decision by City if it happens, no point paying a wage on someone who will be sitting on the bench. Use his wage for the new striker. :ayatollah: :sladein:

Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:56 pm

Was surprised when we signed him as I never believed that he would be good enough at this level. We have had good strikers ourselves in the bottom two divisions, players like Phil Stant, Carl Dale and Fortune-West spring to mind, but it's a big step up to playing at this level. I have always considered Doyle to be similar to these players, more than useful in the lower leagues, but probably not quite good enough to be a regular scorer at this level.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:10 pm

Shame with this I really thought he'd be the player to get us 20 goals this season

Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:06 pm

Apparently Doyle has already stated he is not happy to Slade.

I said from day one bad signing by Slade,not good enough.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:12 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Apparently Doyle has already stated he is not happy to Slade.

He's hard working and can finish but he lacks the pace and the skill to link with the other players. He's one of those players that will flourish in league 1 but not quite good enough for championship.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:39 pm

Sell him, not good enough I'm afraid

Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:45 pm

I thought there was something about him but I maybe he is just about not good enough.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:46 pm

Don't think we seen enough of him and I think he would do as good a job if not better than Mason, he's not going to be happy but that's football and while city are winning and our strikers netting maybe we should move him on :thumbup:

Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:09 pm

I still think he has something to offer, his record in League One last season says it all. Mason, Jones and unfortunately Revell will always be in front of him though.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:16 pm

Portsmouth would be interested in signing Doyle, as he has played for their manager Paul Cook twice.

But I would be surprised if Doyle did leave that he would go to League Two.

I am sure if he was allowed to leave then there would be a few Championship clubs interested plus a host of League One sides.

I don't see Doyle staying though but can't see him going to Pompey.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:17 pm

There is one certainty. Doyle is miles better than Macheda or Ravell. They both make him look like Messi.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:19 pm

carlccfc wrote:Portsmouth would be interested in signing Doyle, as he has played for their manager Paul Cook twice.

I am sure if he was allowed to leave then there would be a few Championship clubs interested plus a host of League One sides.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompe ... -1-6932638?

Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:31 pm

A very similar style of player to Mason but not as good. Jones, Mason,Revell and Macheda in front of him as well as the new guy Saadi, and Ameobi can play there too. Worth signing but now the others are staying it's time for him to move on.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:34 pm

jon1959 wrote:
carlccfc wrote:Portsmouth would be interested in signing Doyle, as he has played for their manager Paul Cook twice.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompe ... -1-6932638?

Cheers Jon, confirms what I am saying, Pompey would like him but don't expect to get him.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:39 pm

Pompeys money problems are over. Can see them going for him on season long loan.

I know they are league 2 but what would you rather do if you were a player-play in front of 16000 at frat ton park in league 2 or play at burton Albion or fleet wood in front of 2500.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:58 pm

He started to get a run if form going at the back end of last season then suddenly got dropped at the start of this one.

Prefer him to Mason personally and I'll be a bit disappointed if he does leave, we have far stronger candidates for leaving than him in our striking surplus.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:37 pm

I don't think he's been treated the best deserved some league time he shouldn't be written off just like that he's a decent player we haven't really seen enough of him to label him "not good enough"

Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:56 pm

I'd play him over Mason personally, if we are to let him go I hope it's a loan. We'd regret selling him.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:01 pm

I agree with most of the posts here.

Doyle better than macheda and possibly revell. Needs to play.
He needs nurturing like they have done to Mason.

That's why I was so gutted about losing to MK Dons.
A little run would have been good.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:27 pm

I hope the club don't sell, that is if he does leave, a loan would be the best option at this stage of his career and where the club are at this time.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:40 pm

I don't think Eoin Doyle has ever done anything to prove he's better than Macheda.

Macheda scored a good amount of goals last season considering his limited game time/substitution appearances, and is fantastic for a Championship club as a 4th/5th option.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:04 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Apparently Doyle has already stated he is not happy to Slade.

He's better than Ravell Annis :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:13 pm

Preston North End are lining up a bid to sign Cardiff City striker Eoin Doyle on a season-long loan.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:14 pm

Santa Ponsa Blue wrote:Preston North End are lining up a bid to sign Cardiff City striker Eoin Doyle on a season-long loan.

Hmm

Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:15 pm

CHRIS PIKE wrote:

He's better than Ravell Annis :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

I dont rate either one :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:17 pm

Santa Ponsa Blue wrote:Preston North End are lining up a bid to sign Cardiff City striker Eoin Doyle on a season-long loan.

Be a good move for him and us could see if he is good enough for the championship

Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:19 pm

wez1927 wrote:

Be a good move for him and us could see if he is good enough for the championship

I agree :ayatollah:

Re: UPDATED ' EOIN DOYLE '

Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:19 pm

EOIN DOYLE is in line to make a shock move to Preston for £850,000.

Doyle, 27, joined Cardiff City from Chesterfield for the same fee in February after netting 25 times for the Spireites in 33 games last term.

He had previously moved on free transfers four times, from Shamrock Rovers to Sligo Rovers and onto Hibernian and Chesterfield.

The Tallaght man scored a respectable five goals in 11 starts and five substitute appearances for the Bluebirds to end the season with 30 goals.

But he has not featured in any of their five league games to date with his only outings coming in the League Cup.

And the Welsh outfit are now expected to recoup their money by selling him to Championship rivals Preston.

Newly-promoted Preston have scored just twice in the league with boss Simon Grayson believing Doyle can give them more of a cutting edge.

Re: UPDATED ' EOIN DOYLE SET TO JOIN '

Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:24 pm

I would have liked to see City loan him out and not sell to another Championship club.