Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Mathews going to UTD ,I can t believe it

Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:41 am

We are still a selling club ,Mathews is going to man utd what chance have we got for promotion
when players of Mathews calibre are being sold .

Re: Mathews going to UTD ,I can t believe it

Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:42 am

Dont start me off pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee

Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:51 am

Ridsdale said we will definitely strengthen in Jan.

And it looks like we'll sell Matthews and (I personally think Ross).

Ridsdale: selling two Premiership quality players IS NOT strengthening.

Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:54 am

splott bluebird wrote:We are still a selling club ,Mathews is going to man utd what chance have we got for promotion

It must be true it was in The Sun :lol:

Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:00 am

I'm not in the slightest bit surprised about Matthews going and to be honest dont blame the club either, a player we paid nowt for going for 5 mill plus hopefully, makes sense surely.

Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:09 am

Paper talk. chill out its in the SUN

Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:14 am

Don't mind players moving on (if we are holding them back by either not playing them or when we do we play them out of position) especially if it's to a top four club. But by going to utd Adam will never play any first team football and his development will grind to a halt fergie has those young Brazilian twins there never mind o'shea, brown and Gary Nev (passed it I know). I would rather him go to Arsenal where he will progress more and be with Ramsey or spurs in a swap for Bale LOL

Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:21 am

To be fair I would gladly take the 5 million if I thought it could be invested back into strenghtening the team.At the end of the day we are talking about a youngster who cost us nothing and has only played 12 games for us.5 million spent wisely can go a long way at this level.

However as this never happens at our club then its a massive blow to us.

Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:31 pm

Strange how your Chairman always wants his players to go to Manchester United. Adamant that Ramsey went there and agreed a price before listening to other Clubs such as Arsenal. Gave the indication I recall the reason being that Manchester would loan him back? Poppycock.

Where was the sell on as well? A player now valued at 20-25 million and a future worldbeater and no sell on?

Think this one through .

Ridsdale agreed a price of 5 million with Manchester United without listening to other parties although other parties were interested. Arsenal placed heavy investment shall we say in Base Ltd to the tune of the same figure as Cardiff City's unpaid taxes, plus expenses to ensure that Ramsey went to Arsenal. A private plane was chartered for the player to meet personally with Mr Wenger in Switzerland. At this point the player decided he wanted to be an Arsenal player when Mr Wenger promised him 20 games at least the next season , and not follow the deal Ridsdale had set up with Manchester United.

This ironically cost Cardiff City football Club in excess of another million pounds in transfer fee and with no sell on contracted in either which in turn could again turn out to be a very expensive error.

Regards Matthews, he has already been up to the Emirates for a look around and was a guest in Ramsey's private box on a couple of occasions. ( The box part of the contract). Base Ltd have large links with Arsenal.

So what would Manchester United do to ensure that Matthews went North? Why was Ridsdale so upset that Ramsey didn't go to his prefered Club? Why did he agree a price so early? many unanswered questions.

And now I read he went to Old Trafford midweek.

Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:44 pm

There is another way of looking at the whol e Matthews, Ramsey, etc moving to big 4 clubs. It vindicates our youth policy and shows that our academy is the place to come for young players who have ambitions of moving on to fame and fortune. Can only be a good thing, surely?

PS I hope that this post isn't upstaged by TNT's once more excellent writing

Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:57 pm

splott bluebird wrote:We are still a selling club ,Mathews is going to man utd what chance have we got for promotion

We will ALWAYS be a selling club.

Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:59 pm

i think we all need to accept he's going somewhere , destination defo top four. something we'll have to get used to :cry:

Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:17 pm

Talent of the likes of Ramsey/ Matthews of course does belong in the Premiership for sure and when Championship Clubs have that talent then they need to sell on in the best profitable way possible. Now that's the point I'm trying to make here where Mr Ridsdale is clearly flawed. It's always " short term fix" rather than long term profitability, for that reason he's never in a position to command the transfers especially in a way that benefits Cardiff City long term ie with sell on clauses. He has to sell quickly as he needs the funding and no doubt the buyer knows this and uses that to his advantage. The reasons he gets himself into these positions is probably a debate on it's own. Arsenal are probably mighty glad that when/if they feel the need to take a large bid say from Real Madrid for Ramsey they wont have to recompensate Cardiff City for all the hard work , time and investment that went into developing the lad from a young tender age.

That's the tragdey in this scenerio , a quick buck 4.8 million ( 200,000 deduction for cash settlement- clearly showing urgently needed) and no long term profitability for the Club that nutured the talent till age 17.

I would address that as bad Chairmanship, but again it raises another question , no doubt " no sell ons" were part of the deal struck with Manchester United , why would that be? , what sort of incentive and to who was put in place to prevent these sell on clauses. Ironic that lesser players such as Jerome when transfered had clauses for further payments etc.

Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:15 pm

Do you take everything published in The Sun as fact?

If so, you're an idiot.

Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:33 am

Cardiff-Cal wrote:Do you take everything published in The Sun as fact?

If so, you're an idiot.

I always query the date printed on the front cover of The Sun

Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:42 am

This was only in the Sun. And absolutley baseless. Untill it happens chill guys

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:39 pm

:lol: :lol:

Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:08 pm

im glad i checked the date of this post first :lol: