Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: THE LATEST NEWS - BELLAMY, LEDLEY AND VINCENT TAN

Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:54 pm

come on you bluebirds :ayatollah:[/quote]

That for me is the important piec, Nips :ayatollah:[/quote]

Great news, Carl. Hate to be pedantic but couldn't the same have been said when Hammam first came in? We didn't have to sell until Earnshaw was sold to West Brom[/quote]

I do believe with Sam though, everything was "loaded with interest" to us?
Things seem (I'll say again) seem different this time though. Hope I'm right!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:24 pm

Uncle Fester wrote:come on you bluebirds :ayatollah:

That for me is the important piec, Nips :ayatollah:[/quote]

Great news, Carl. Hate to be pedantic but couldn't the same have been said when Hammam first came in? We didn't have to sell until Earnshaw was sold to West Brom[/quote]

I do believe with Sam though, everything was "loaded with interest" to us?
Things seem (I'll say again) seem different this time though. Hope I'm right!! :shock: :shock: :shock:[/quote]

Indeed but I think the same point still remains. I have the same hopes as yourself but we have been here before with the signings of Kavanagh and Thorne. I just hope we aren't making the same mistakes again. How would we be able to afford Ledley's and Bellamy's wages with our current revenue? I certainly can't see it come from VT's personal pocket.

So we are either gambling on future revenues from Premiership football

or

Loans with interest

As a fan I wwould love to see Ledley and Bellamy in a City shirt next season. It's great to have ambition but I get the sense having both is excessive. I don't think their meglomaniacs or charlatans like Hammam or Ridsdale, respectively, but there is a sense of deja vu here.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:45 pm

fantastic news, but I agree with the guy above me, having both players could be extremely costly if we don't get promoted (which is unlikely without Premiership level teams in Championship). If we get Bellamy this season he's probably joining us permanently, losing Ledley wouldn't be that big of disaster, Ross can play in left wing, even though I don't think he played any games there last season (he did in Motherwell). Even if we lose Ledley and Bellamy, I still think that we have serious chance of getting auto promotion. Last season we missed our biggest chance, but this season is going to be even better in my opinion.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:10 am

Great news once again, but my only downfall is reading what Steve Davies has said as he is generally in the KNOW as well, why is he so downbeat about the news that is only my concern, but yet again Carl cheers for the info provided. :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:15 am

nobby wrote:Great news once again, but my only downfall is reading what Steve Davies has said as he is generally in the KNOW as well, why is he so downbeat about the news that is only my concern, but yet again Carl cheers for the info provided. :ayatollah:

Nobby, If I am correct in what I believe Steve is much much more cautious due to knowing that the debts left are very serious and The Malaysians are picking up the tab as well.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:34 am

if this all comes off what your saying with a few more quality players
to strenghen the bench were going up as fooking champions best news
for a long time cheers me up no end roll on the k,off can,t wait :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:18 am

steve davies wrote:time to take a break from here until silly season comes to an end i think
im all for keeping the interest alive but some of this is utter bollocks.

I don't know who your contact is at the club, but i'm sure that he means well. But I think it's a case of "tell them what they want to hear." Steve is right, we have only just paid big tax bill, are still in debt (dont know how much by, but varies depending on who you believe), and all of a sudden we talking about shelling out massive wages on a top premiership player. It all seems a bit of a pipe dream. What happened to the running a tight ship and getting the wage bill down, or have we learned nothing form Ridsdales time in charge?

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:23 am

Forever Blue wrote:
nobby wrote:Great news once again, but my only downfall is reading what Steve Davies has said as he is generally in the KNOW as well, why is he so downbeat about the news that is only my concern, but yet again Carl cheers for the info provided. :ayatollah:

Nobby, If I am correct in what I believe Steve is much much more cautious due to knowing that the debts left are very serious and The Malaysians are picking up the tab as well.

to clarify my quote last night it was purely about the bellamy situation and not joe ledley who i think would be better of at cardiff than celtic or stoke.
with regards bellamy he is currently on 120k per week and there has been an offer made to man city in the region of 7 million from two clubs.
do you honestly believe that man city would opt to send bellamy on loan to us for a season and pay some 80k a week of his wages when they could offload his whole 120k a week and bring 7 million into the coffers.

if i turned around and told you that we had turned down a 4 million pound bid for chopra but were loaning him to newcastle for a year because he wanted to play for his home town club and we were paying 75% of his wages you would all go nuts but that is in reality what we are all hoping man city would do for us with bellamy.

my post was not a criticism of carl whom i expect i will now have to have telephone sex with to make things up to but was trying to put a brake on the out of control optomism that was raging about bellamy.

please be aware there are massive debts still at the club with skeletons falling out of cupboards on a daily basis.
i personally would prefer 3 to 4 good squad members giving us strength in depth as oppossed to just a year of craig bellamy on loan

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:33 am

steve davies wrote:
with regards bellamy he is currently on 120k per week and there has been an offer made to man city in the region of 7 million from two clubs. Do you honestly believe that man city would opt to send bellamy on loan to us for a season and pay some 80k a week of his wages when they could offload his whole 120k a week and bring 7 million into the coffers.

I don't think it's a case of OPTING to send him on loan to Cardiff, it's what they can get past a very obnoxious Craig Bellamy. Clubs can accept offers of £100million, if the player says no, they cannot make him go.

He'd still be made to turn down Spurs, but he is a different player to anyone else and who knows what's on his mind.

Are you sure he is on £120million?
Last edited by Wayne S on Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:34 am

steve davies wrote:i personally would prefer 3 to 4 good squad members giving us strength in depth as oppossed to just a year of craig bellamy on loan

Me too Steve. :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:56 am

I spoke to someone very close to Bellamy a couple of weeks ago and they said he was happy at man city so i cant see it happening

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:59 am

birchblue wrote:I spoke to someone very close to Bellamy a couple of weeks ago and they said he was happy at man city so i cant see it happening

Jason,
He also said out side the School by me that he wanted to come down here.

But If I am Honest I cant see us paying the money, even though we have now made 2 attempts.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:00 am

Dreamlike or Chic wrote:
steve davies wrote:i personally would prefer 3 to 4 good squad members giving us strength in depth as oppossed to just a year of craig bellamy on loan

Me too Steve. :ayatollah:

This is a difficult one. If we are going to keep our squad plus add a bit of back-up (CM and for Jay) plus add Bellamy than I think it's worth the gamble because I really think that a player of his talent could be the difference between auto promotion and the lottery of the play-offs.

However, if it's Bellamy at the cost of no other back-up then I would have to say no :cry:

I think one other factor for us is that interest and excitement would go through the roof if we signed Bellamy. Season tickets would sell-out and income from shirts, tv, etc. would increase hugely.

Gambler in me says let's go for it if VT is stumping up, the cynical City fan in me says no let's use the money to strengthen :lol:

Oh bollox ............... let's just go for it and enjoy the next chapter of this rollercoaster ride :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :lol:

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:06 am

If we got promoted through Bellamy, No one would then say we wasted money.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:12 am

Forever Blue wrote:If we got promoted through Bellamy, No one would then say we wasted money.

but then look at it the other way annis if bellamy got injured and missed half the season people would say why did we blow all our transfer monies on one loan player when we could have had back up in a number of positions for the same money

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:15 am

steve davies wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:If we got promoted through Bellamy, No one would then say we wasted money.

but then look at it the other way annis if bellamy got injured and missed half the season people would say why did we blow all our transfer monies on one loan player when we could have had back up in a number of positions for the same money

I see that side to it as well Steve and our fans would go mental and say what a WASTE of money, like they did with Fowler.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:21 am

Forever Blue wrote:
steve davies wrote:

I see that side to it as well Steve and our fans would go mental and say what a WASTE of money, like they did with Fowler.

I was just thinking the same Annis.

I think in the end it all depends on how deep the malaysians are goign to get in.

Are they going to take up the balance of the allocated shares, which would put several million more in ?
is there major sponsorship lined up ?
Are the club going to take up the deals with isaacs and pMG to write off another £4m of debt for equity ?
Are we planning on paying Sam off by Christmas ? Is there another deal on the cards ?

Without these I don't think we'll have the funds for both and in fact may struggle to get in 4-5 of the qaulity desired.

Also after the question to this is answered, the future's of ledley, Chopra and Whittingham have to be taken into account. If there isn't new funds coming in (and i don't mean more borrowing - as we really shouldnt be doing that), then we may NEED to sell 1 or 2 to fund it - and even then we dont know if we'll get a penny for Ledley yet.

Finally there are still debts to be settled and wages to be paid between now and Christmas (when STs will prob go on sale again).

Too many doubts on the financial side to speculate as to whats the best course of action at the moment.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:25 am

Steve, Being pedantic Bellamy is on £90k a week, and Spurs have offered £6.5m for him, but he has said no, as for us and Chopra, Man City have loads of strikers and they are after more, we on the other hand have not, so the situation does not compare, also why would Man City pay him £90k a week to perhaps not even sit on the bench?, You know what a pain he is to everyone :thumbup:

to clarify my quote last night it was purely about the bellamy situation and not joe ledley who i think would be better of at cardiff than celtic or stoke.
with regards bellamy he is currently on 120k per week and there has been an offer made to man city in the region of 7 million from two clubs.
do you honestly believe that man city would opt to send bellamy on loan to us for a season and pay some 80k a week of his wages when they could offload his whole 120k a week and bring 7 million into the coffers.

if i turned around and told you that we had turned down a 4 million pound bid for chopra but were loaning him to newcastle for a year because he wanted to play for his home town club and we were paying 75% of his wages you would all go nuts but that is in reality what we are all hoping man city would do for us with bellamy.

my post was not a criticism of carl whom i expect i will now have to have telephone sex with to make things up to but was trying to put a brake on the out of control optomism that was raging about bellamy.

please be aware there are massive debts still at the club with skeletons falling out of cupboards on a daily basis.
i personally would prefer 3 to 4 good squad members giving us strength in depth as oppossed to just a year of craig bellamy on loan[/quote]

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:32 am

steve davies wrote:but then look at it the other way annis if bellamy got injured and missed half the season people would say why did we blow all our transfer monies on one loan player when we could have had back up in a number of positions for the same money

No one should want Bellamy at the expense of all other signings and I include DJ in this. He must be looking at Bellamy as an addition to all his other signings and NOT instead of.

I'd want DJ out now if his plan was just to gring in Bellamy. I just assumed that he had a budget and a plan to lose players, buy players and extend contracts. The Bellamy thing is an addition and as such he went to VT in hope of getting it funded seperately.

If the Bellamy deal was a one off and not at the expense of squad strengthening we have to WANT it.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:05 pm

steve davies wrote:

Surely that would be covered under the loan agreement that if he got injured he would return back to MCFC for the treatment..?

Its never going to be a win situation unless we did get auto place with him leading us, time will tell I suppose.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:24 pm

RichardBluebird wrote:Its never going to be a win situation unless we did get auto place with him leading us, time will tell I suppose.

Oh c'mon, do you really think that Bellamy isn't top class Premiership player? It's ALWAYS win situation, I really doubt that his wages won't represent his ability

Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:25 pm

["RichardBluebird"][="steve davies"][="Forever Blue"]If we got promoted through Bellamy, No one would then say we wasted money.[
but then look at it the other way annis if bellamy got injured and missed half the season people would say why did we blow all our transfer monies on one loan player when we could have had back up in a number of positions for the same money[

Surely that would be covered under the loan agreement that if he got injured he would return back to MCFC for the treatment..?

Its never going to be a win situation unless we did get auto place with him leading us, time will tell I suppose.[/quote]

yes richard he would of course return to man city as did etuhu but we would still be picking up his wages.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:38 pm

bellamy or not, this new regime has to make a 'statement' of its intent to the fans, mainly by keeping the current squad together (well the ones we want to keep) add a back up for jay,central defender, midfielder, full back, has to show ambition within these signings...if we cld do all this and maybe around xmas if bellamy still at man city and not happy then sign him on loan for rest of season, wld be a great second half of season buzz.
but we mustnt sign Bellamy at the expense of the rest..

but if we cld do all that plus add Bellamy...well then that wld drive season ticket sales through the roof !

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:49 pm

langley wrote:bellamy or not, this new regime has to make a 'statement' of its intent to the fans, mainly by keeping the current squad together (well the ones we want to keep) add a back up for jay,central defender, midfielder, full back, has to show ambition within these signings...if we cld do all this and maybe around xmas if bellamy still at man city and not happy then sign him on loan for rest of season, wld be a great second half of season buzz.
but we mustnt sign Bellamy at the expense of the rest..

but if we cld do all that plus add Bellamy...well then that wld drive season ticket sales through the roof !

Good post Langley, At least everything is More Positive now and not running up Debts. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:48 pm

carlccfc wrote:I have spoken today with somebody from inside the club and what I have been told is fantastic news.

Firstly, when I said that DJ was in Malaysia trying to convince Vincent Tan to put more money in, it would seem that DJ done us proud. Vincent Tan has agreed to back DJ's bid to sign Bellamy and my source has said ' the deal is not dead, Tan is backing the bid but there is still a lot to work out, City upped their offer last week but are still to come to an agreed figure with Man City and also there is still work to be done with Bellamy too '.

Will we sign Bellamy ? I truly hope so but it is not a normal situation, as I have said many times, so we will wait and see, but we are talking about signing him still and are still negotiating with Man City, go back to January and this situation would have been a distant dream and years away, not anymore, it is happening :ayatollah:

Secondly, Cardiff have upped their offer to Ledley and I have been told that the club believes it to be ' an incredible deal ', the club wont be offering any more money and the ball is firmly in Ledley's court, it is down to Joe now. The club is talking to all the players who have little time remaining on their contracts and they are doing their best to keep those players happy.

Thirdly, the Malaysians do not want and will not sell any of the players they wish to keep, your Bothroyd's, Chopra's and Whittingham's will not be sold unless it is silly money. They believe that the club has a squad, which with some additions can mount a serious challenge. For the first time in 40 years Cardiff City FC do not have to sell a player to fund our season. We now have owners and backers who want to take the club forward and will give the manager the backing to do so. Unlike every other season, where DJ has had to sell to be able to bring in he can now keep his squad together and add to it.

This is really positive news and which we should be delighted with. These are good times for us and I believe we are on our way up and the way we are going it is WHEN AND NOT IF.

The club is going in the direction we have all wanted for so long, it won't happen overnight and there is still a call for patience for the Malaysians to have time to settle in but everything is on the up and Vincent Tan, from what I am being told, has got the bug to have a crack at it.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS

Fantastic news mate...........how do you do it???...............This is not the topsy turvy club I have supported all my life anymore,seems like our owners are up for it!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:27 am

Wolf wrote:
carlccfc wrote:I have spoken today with somebody from inside the club and what I have been told is fantastic news.

Firstly, when I said that DJ was in Malaysia trying to convince Vincent Tan to put more money in, it would seem that DJ done us proud. Vincent Tan has agreed to back DJ's bid to sign Bellamy and my source has said ' the deal is not dead, Tan is backing the bid but there is still a lot to work out, City upped their offer last week but are still to come to an agreed figure with Man City and also there is still work to be done with Bellamy too '.

Will we sign Bellamy ? I truly hope so but it is not a normal situation, as I have said many times, so we will wait and see, but we are talking about signing him still and are still negotiating with Man City, go back to January and this situation would have been a distant dream and years away, not anymore, it is happening :ayatollah:

Secondly, Cardiff have upped their offer to Ledley and I have been told that the club believes it to be ' an incredible deal ', the club wont be offering any more money and the ball is firmly in Ledley's court, it is down to Joe now. The club is talking to all the players who have little time remaining on their contracts and they are doing their best to keep those players happy.

Thirdly, the Malaysians do not want and will not sell any of the players they wish to keep, your Bothroyd's, Chopra's and Whittingham's will not be sold unless it is silly money. They believe that the club has a squad, which with some additions can mount a serious challenge. For the first time in 40 years Cardiff City FC do not have to sell a player to fund our season. We now have owners and backers who want to take the club forward and will give the manager the backing to do so. Unlike every other season, where DJ has had to sell to be able to bring in he can now keep his squad together and add to it.

This is really positive news and which we should be delighted with. These are good times for us and I believe we are on our way up and the way we are going it is WHEN AND NOT IF.

The club is going in the direction we have all wanted for so long, it won't happen overnight and there is still a call for patience for the Malaysians to have time to settle in but everything is on the up and Vincent Tan, from what I am being told, has got the bug to have a crack at it.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS

Fantastic news mate...........how do you do it???...............This is not the topsy turvy club I have supported all my life anymore,seems like our owners are up for it!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

if it's true :roll:

Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:44 pm

Regarding the Bellamy 'deal' being similar to the Fowler debacle!

Robbie Fowler had long lost his pace, his goals had dried up and nobody
else wanted him. It was a deal forced on the manager of the team by the
Chairman of the club.

Craig Bellamy, however, was one of the best players in the Premier League last
season. He is a nightmare to mark because of his pace. But he is also totally
unselfish and reads the game as well as anyone.

Every single supporter of a club in the Championship would be gutted if we can
sort out terms for Craig Bellamy, defenders will shit themselves. When we signed
Fowler a lot of people were pissing themselves laughing.

Marketing Cardiff City with a top Welsh striker who is arguably still one of the best
forwards in the Premier League wont be difficult.

I'm not saying it will happen, but Bellamy and Fowler are a million mile apart in terms
of similarity

Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:33 am

Great debates :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:06 am

Man City have done the exact same deal with Robinio.

They could have taken a transfer fee for him, but he would only go to Brazil.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:07 am

taffyapple wrote:Robbie Fowler had long lost his pace, his goals had dried up and nobody
else wanted him. It was a deal forced on the manager of the team by the
Chairman of the club.

No, Fowler was a DJ signing - from memory, DJ bumped into Fowler whilst on holiday.