Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City considering loan move for £3m striker

Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:46 pm

The 24-year-old former Malmo forward scored Bournemouth’s first goal and made life difficult for the Bluebirds with his sheer pace in Friday's pre-season friendly

Sunday 2nd August 2015

South African international pace ace Tokelo Rantie is a target for Cardiff City and they are weighing up a loan move for the Bournemouth striker.

Bluebirds manager Russell Slade is close friends with Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe, who agreed to play Rantie in the Premier League club’s starting line-up against Cardiff on Friday.

The 24-year-old former Malmo forward scored Bournemouth’s first goal and made life difficult for the Bluebirds with his sheer pace.

Rantie is unlikely to figure in Bournemouth’s starting line-up and Howe is likely to allow him out on loan to a Championship club.

Cardiff are favourites if they decide to go for Rantie, but Slade has not yet make a formal approach and has several other options as he decides which players will add to his Bluebirds’ squad.

The Bluebirds expect to see Adam Le Fondre leave the club this week, with a loan move to Blackburn the most likely destination.

Bournemouth paid a then club record £3m transfer fee for Malmo striker Rantie two years ago. He had previously played for South African club Orlando Pirates.

Rantie has scored five goals in 14 starts and 27 substitute appearances for Bournemouth over the last two seasons and did not start a league match as the Cherries earned the Championship title and promotion last season. He went on 12 times from the bench, scoring two goals.

There is no doubt Rantie has attracted strong attention from the Bluebirds and they do lack the pace he would bring, but it seems likely they will be more tempted to go for a big, powerful and agile centre-forward to pep up their attack.

Re: Cardiff City considering loan move for £3m striker

Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:47 pm

He caused us some problems and looked pacy. :thumbright: :sladein: :ayatollah:

Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:52 pm

Please please lord make it happen! :ayatollah: :sladein:

Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:05 pm

I'd go for a big agile striker as well as Rantie. It looks like ALF is going and Kenwyne will probably go too. I'd let Macheda go too. Three out and two in plus saving big time on Kenwyne's wages. Win-win. :bluescarf:

Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:49 pm

There's no doubt that we could do with a bit of pace up front :ayatollah:

Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:41 pm

Only good enough to be a substitute 12 times last season for a promotion winning team.

Therefore if we are genuine about mounting a promotion challenge next season( :laughing6: ) he won't be good enough to be anything other than a substitute for us.

If however our aim is simply to survive in the league, even if it's in 21st place, then he would probably be able to do enough to help us acheive that.

Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:50 pm

Got to agree ..... his stats are not very impressive ... even though.I'm optimistic for the season ahead ,this doesn't inspire confidence

Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:10 pm

So to paraphrase the WOL story:

'Cardiff City may be interested in signing Rantie from Bounemouth on loan, but probably not'

It has been a very slow summer.... and all those pages to fill....

Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:59 pm

Rydogsccfc wrote:He caused us some problems and looked pacy. :thumbright: :sladein: :ayatollah:

Yes maybe, but surely you don't want him to sign as he might cause an inbalance in the squad you already have. You know, the squad you've already tipped for a top two finish! :lol:

Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:05 pm

64JACK wrote:
Rydogsccfc wrote:He caused us some problems and looked pacy. :thumbright: :sladein: :ayatollah:

Yes maybe, but surely you don't want him to sign as he might cause an inbalance in the squad you already have. You know, the squad you've already tipped for a top two finish! :lol:

I would rather us not signing players but I don't mind if we do as long they add something to the team. :thumbright: :sladein: :ayatollah:

Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:23 pm

Just cause he only featured 12 times for Bournemouth doesn't mean that he is not good enough for us. It's not as though he had much of a chance to play, especially when they had only one striker playing up top on his own. which turned out to be their top goalscorer Callum Wilson. Who was brilliant for them. They also had another striker playing but he was playing much more deeper than he usually played last season and that was Yann Kermorgant who was more of s midfielder last season, he also got a lot of goals for them too. What I'm trying to say is that it was hardly Ranties fault that he couldn't get a game because of the both of their form last season. Yes, he could of done a bit better when coming on as a sub, but even then it's hard to get going in a game when you are only getting 5-10 minutes subs appearances, now and again. I think Rantie could be the exact type of striker that we are looking for and who would compliment Joe Mason, I think they could both form a potent strike force, as both are quick thinkers, intelligent and have great movement with and without the ball. Rantie has got pace, strength, he can hold the ball up well, while bringing other players into the game. Another thing which is good about the possibility of us signing him, is that if he isn't good enough, then cause he is just on loan we can send him back at any time, rather than fork out a million or whatever they want for him. They bough him for 3 million, but they won't get anything like that if they wanna sell him. I even think that we could get him for around half a million, which would not be that much of a gamble. Anyway, if Rantie does join us, I think he will turn out to be a very shrewd signing and he would be a hit here. He would then get the chance to prove his doubters wrong. Which I think he would do.

Sign him up Russ!!!

Bloooooobirds.

Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:32 am

moonboots wrote:I'd go for a big agile striker as well as Rantie. It looks like ALF is going and Kenwyne will probably go too. I'd let Macheda go too. Three out and two in plus saving big time on Kenwyne's wages. Win-win. :bluescarf:

Who on earth would want Macheda ?