Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Was Cardiff really in England

Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:52 pm

A good friend of mine, swears that the border used to encroach Cardiff and half of Cardiff was in England, sure he said the Rhymney river was the divide, he's a Whitchurch boy and knows his history, can anyone confirm?

Re: Was Cardiff really in England

Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:03 pm

whiterock wrote:A good friend of mine, swears that the border used to encroach Cardiff and half of Cardiff was in England, sure he said the Rhymney river was the divide, he's a Whitchurch boy and knows his history, can anyone confirm?

Yes, certain parts of what is now Rumney and Marshfield and out towards Newport and Monmouth were indeed classed as 'England' as the history books will show

I am pretty sure (long time since I did a history class!) that it was 'English' during the Civil War, as was Monmouth and its surrounding areas, inc. Newport

Monmouthshire itself was, I believe, only classified as being in Wales as recently as 1974; hence the nickname 'No Man's Land' :thumbup: ;) :lol: :lol:

Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:28 pm

Well I lived in Trowbridge and across rd was in Monmouth different bin days ect and pub opened
30mins longer than on the estate :laughing6:

Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:14 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Well I lived in Trowbridge and across rd was in Monmouth different bin days ect and pub opened

Closing at 10:30pm was always a specifically Cardiff thing, Allan, and surrounding area tended to be 11pm :thumbup:

I can remember people leaving the Cardiff pubs to catch the Travellers Rest at the top of Thornhill for an extra beer and I guess it was the same out Trowbridge way too! :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:03 pm

All of the land was ours, celtic, and they took it from us.

Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:13 pm

Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Well I lived in Trowbridge and across rd was in Monmouth different bin days ect and pub opened

Closing at 10:30pm was always a specifically Cardiff thing, Allan, and surrounding area tended to be 11pm :thumbup:

I can remember people leaving the Cardiff pubs to catch the Travellers Rest at the top of Thornhill for an extra beer and I guess it was the same out Trowbridge way too! :ayatollah:

Yes new bridge closed but bluebell on top rd near Newport rd later! :thumbup:

Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:03 pm

Monmouth was actually welsh and was in what was called the Welsh Marches, a name given to it by Edward 1V for ease of governing England & Wales, so therefore cardiff has always been welsh. the changes in the 1960s was to define the borders of Wales [ie Monmouthshire was the border county of Wales to England.

Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:01 pm

I remember reading somewhere that Monmouth was never technically Welsh or English and that in law it was referred to as Wales and Monmouthshire up until the 70s when they had the vote to be either a Welsh or English. Before that it was an anomaly. Can't remember where I read that so can claim how right it is though.

Cardiff was never in England though.

Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:22 pm

cardiff has never been english but has the city has developed the city expanded out in the east and has the original poster mentioned the other side of the river rhymney was indeed in england many moons ago which these days house the areas of rumney , trowbridge , llanrumney and st mellons areas of cardiff

On the other side of the fence part of worcester was in Wales many moons ago

Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:48 pm

The original Celtic tribes of South East Wales are called the 'Silurian' and much like there latter day Descendants were known for their determination in battle. It took the Romans well over 25 years to defeat the Silurian's whilst those wasters down west the Demetae (the Jacks of the day) couldn't surrender fast enough and openly sucked up to the invaders.

Just goes to show that some things NEVER change :bluescarf:

Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:49 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:The original Celtic tribes of South East Wales are called the 'Silurian' and much like there latter day Descendants were known for their determination in battle. It took the Romans well over 25 years to defeat the Silurian's whilst those wasters down west the Demetae (the Jacks of the day) couldn't surrender fast enough and openly sucked up to the invaders.

Just goes to show that some things NEVER change :bluescarf:

As I understand it, the Silurians were concentrated East and north of Cardiff. Nearer Newport at the coast. They were Celtic but maybe not necessarily "Welsh" entirely. They had the look of Spaniards, dark skin and black curly hair. Britain was very tribal then and nearly the whole of the west of the British mainland was Celtic all the way up to Scotland.

The Demetae were concentrated in Pembs and as far as Carmarthen, up around Dyfed. Not really Jacks tbh. It is strange to think that the very Silurians who were the feisty tribe, allowed the language to die, whereas the further West areas remain strong in spoken Welsh (although the far west is more English speaking).

Either way, I don't think Cardiff has ever been English. Imagine losing Bale because of ancient land borders!! Lol.

Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:37 am

whiterock wrote:A good friend of mine, swears that the border used to encroach Cardiff and half of Cardiff was in England, sure he said the Rhymney river was the divide, he's a Whitchurch boy and knows his history, can anyone confirm?

The River Rhymney used to divide Glamorganshire on the west from Monmouthshire on the east. Monmouth was later sub divided and Gwent was formed to the east of the Rhymney river, as already mentioned stop tap in Glamorgan was 11pm and in Gwent it was 10:30pm.

Monmouthshire used to be a very big county which also included parts of Herefordshire and Gloucestershire. That's why there are many Welsh named villages in both areas. In New South Wales in Australia there is a region called Gloucestershire.

Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:19 pm

There is a story that monmouthshire had to sign the declaration of war in 1914 but when the treaty of versailles was signed to end hostility monmouthshire didn't sign it so technically still at war with the Germans. Not sure of the relevance or truth but just thought is a good story

Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:58 pm

carldale mlord wrote:There is a story that monmouthshire had to sign the declaration of war in 1914 but when the treaty of versailles was signed to end hostility monmouthshire didn't sign it so technically still at war with the Germans. Not sure of the relevance or truth but just thought is a good story

I think there's some truth in this. I seem to remember an episode of QI where it was explained. Strange but true history!!