Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

2 die up pen y fan

Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:00 pm

From a lightening strike.

Always thought for such a popular attraction there is a shambolic level of stewarding. As there is literally none.

If the weather changes drastically, you're on your own. Yes, personal responsibility comes into it but not always.

How hard would it be to stick people at the bottom and close it if terrible weather is due? Not very.

I went up with family recently and the weather was fine at the bottom. The clouds moved and at the top we were falling all over the place, the wind was the worst I've been in. Quite scary.

Re: 2 die up pen y fan

Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:36 pm

Very sad , RIP :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:31 pm

Stewards can't do f**k all about a lightening strike and any adult deciding to climb a mountain should be aware of the dangers regarding weather changing etc. (not referring to the lightening as that's a freak thing)

Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:42 pm

Very tragic but how can you marshall for natural events in such a big area where there's no income for using these areas. I think the national trust can only do so much with notice boards and website warnings.
Very sad that a day out as led to these events

Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:20 am

Hang on, wheres personal responsibility in this..? Lighting was forecasted yesterday for days so why go up there..?

Every summer we hear of people not respecting the peaks in Wales and go climbing up Snowdonia in their summer clothes and so on and its about time people got charged their putting the life's of rescue volunteers at risk with their stupid actions

Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:36 am

Military Junta wrote:Hang on, wheres personal responsibility in this..? Lighting was forecasted yesterday for days so why go up there..?

Every summer we hear of people not respecting the peaks in Wales and go climbing up Snowdonia in their summer clothes and so on and its about time people got charged their putting the life's of rescue volunteers at risk with their stupid actions

Totally agree with this :bluescarf:

About time they made people take out Insurance to cover any eventualities when walking on Mountains.

If my memory serves me right certain Europeans have to have Insurance to walk mountains in this country!

Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:36 am

Military Junta wrote:Hang on, wheres personal responsibility in this..? Lighting was forecasted yesterday for days so why go up there..?

Lightening was not forecast days in advance. And we had experienced blazing sunshine before it. Most people would not have expected it.

Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:41 am

I walk up those hills regularly, but gave it a miss this weekend after spending 30 seconds on line checking the forecast. I do exactly the same if misty conditions are forecast, and steer well clear. It would be impossible to patrol all the areas of the Brecon Beacons where you could potentially have an accident. I don't ever recall anyone being struck by lightning there in the past, and you can't expect to have people on duty to warn of an event that will probably happen once in a hundred years. You will never make hill climbing risk free, and this was just an unfortunate tragic accident where a few people were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:43 am

Depressed Blue wrote:

Lightening was not forecast days in advance. And we had experienced blazing sunshine before it. Most people would not have expected it.

Yes it was. Ive been keeping an eye on the forecast for the past week because I went to Silverstone yesterday and lighting has been forecast in the South Wales area at least 3 days prior going on the weather channel app on my iPhone. So if they are forecasted it then I'm sure the other weather outlets did too.

Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:44 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:I walk up those hills regularly, but gave it a miss this weekend after spending 30 seconds on line checking the forecast. I do exactly the same if misty conditions are forecast, and steer well clear. It would be impossible to patrol all the areas of the Brecon Beacons where you could potentially have an accident. I don't ever recall anyone being struck by lightning there in the past, and you can't expect to have people on duty to warn of an event that will probably happen once in a hundred years. You will never make hill climbing risk free, and this was just an unfortunate tragic accident where a few people were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Of course not all the Beacons. Just the pathway that thousands go up and down every single week.

Personal responsibility does come into it but the weather forecast is not always correct is it. They have a cafe up there if I am correct?. So who funds that?. They are capable of flogging some sandwiches but not sticking a sign at the bottom saying "Weather warning".

Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:49 am

Military Junta wrote:
Depressed Blue wrote:

Yes it was. Ive been keeping an eye on the forecast for the past week because I went to Silverstone yesterday and lighting has been forecast in the South Wales area at least 3 days prior going on the weather channel app on my iPhone. So if they are forecasted it then I'm sure the other weather outlets did too.

The weather forecast was a clear and precise " lightening will be around after the afternoon of humidity"

Those who would like to should stand under the nearest tree holding up a 6' metal pole :bluebird:

Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:53 am

Depressed Blue wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:I walk up those hills regularly, but gave it a miss this weekend after spending 30 seconds on line checking the forecast. I do exactly the same if misty conditions are forecast, and steer well clear. It would be impossible to patrol all the areas of the Brecon Beacons where you could potentially have an accident. I don't ever recall anyone being struck by lightning there in the past, and you can't expect to have people on duty to warn of an event that will probably happen once in a hundred years. You will never make hill climbing risk free, and this was just an unfortunate tragic accident where a few people were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Of course not all the Beacons. Just the pathway that thousands go up and down every single week.

Personal responsibility does come into it but the weather forecast is not always correct is it. They have a cafe up there if I am correct?. So who funds that?. They are capable of flogging some sandwiches but not sticking a sign at the bottom saying "Weather warning".

The café is at the top of Snowdon, there is nothing at the top of Pen-Y-Fan. Whenever you walk up these hills, there is always an element of risk, the weather at the top can change very quickly. Having said that, this was a freak accident. How many times has anyone ever heard of people being struck by lightning on this mountain. Never I suspect, and probably won't happen again in my lifetime.

Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:53 am

Depressed Blue wrote:

Hang on, so you are saying that weather forecasts aren't always right yet you want a sign saying weather warning!!! well surely the same people would be looking at the same weather forecasts anyway so what would be the point in that..?

Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:03 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Depressed Blue wrote:

The café is at the top of Snowdon, there is nothing at the top of Pen-Y-Fan. Whenever you walk up these hills, there is always an element of risk, the weather at the top can change very quickly. Having said that, this was a freak accident. How many times has anyone ever heard of people being struck by lightning on this mountain. Never I suspect, and probably won't happen again in my lifetime.

:laughing6: ah but Steve he went up there with family recently yet the Café is up Snowdonia..?

Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:23 am

Military Junta wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Depressed Blue wrote:

:laughing6: ah but Steve he went up there with family recently yet the Café is up Snowdonia..?

I think a lot of people see the beauty of this national park, but don't always realise the hidden dangers that are there. There are signs warning you against swimming in the reservoirs and rivers, but people continue to do it. Unfortunately, there will always be accidents in these sort of areas, some avoidable and some which are just freak acts of nature. Extremely fit and well trained soldiers have lost their lives on the Beacons, and it will never be risk free. All you can do is take all possible precautions, and reduce those risks as much as possible. Ultimately, the responsibility is on the people such as myself who choose to walk the hills and riverbanks, and we have to accept the risks that go with it.

Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:10 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Military Junta wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Depressed Blue wrote:

I think a lot of people see the beauty of this national park, but don't always realise the hidden dangers that are there. There are signs warning you against swimming in the reservoirs and rivers, but people continue to do it. Unfortunately, there will always be accidents in these sort of areas, some avoidable and some which are just freak acts of nature. Extremely fit and well trained soldiers have lost their lives on the Beacons, and it will never be risk free. All you can do is take all possible precautions, and reduce those risks as much as possible. Ultimately, the responsibility is on the people such as myself who choose to walk the hills and riverbanks, and we have to accept the risks that go with it.

Grew up in Dowlais so we had great times during the summers in the National Park as a kid but even jumping in the reservoirs and rivers you understood where you could and couldn't mess around.

The lightening this weekend up there was so well known that I would put a sizeable wager on it that they went up there because of it

Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:17 pm

Military Junta wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Depressed Blue wrote:

As you could quite clearly tell, I wasn't sure if there was a cafe up there. My friend spoke of one recently, but I realised he was talking about snowdonia after I posted this and I went on my break.

I've been up Pen Y fan twice. Once with my family about a month ago and then about a year ago. So no, I am not an experienced mountain walker.

Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:30 pm

Depressed Blue wrote:
Military Junta wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Depressed Blue wrote:

As you could quite clearly tell, I wasn't sure if there was a cafe up there. My friend spoke of one recently, but I realised he was talking about snowdonia after I posted this and I went on my break.

I've been up Pen Y fan twice. Once with my family about a month ago and then about a year ago. So no, I am not an experienced mountain walker.

What a load of bollox, you even asked about their funding and accused them of taking more attention of flogging sandwiches instead of putting a warning sign out!!! Your rant has been completely flawed :laughing6:

Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:32 pm

Military Junta wrote:
Depressed Blue wrote:
Military Junta wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Depressed Blue wrote:

What a load of bollox, you even asked about their funding and accused them of taking more attention of flogging sandwiches instead of putting a warning sign out!!! Your rant has been completely flawed :laughing6:

I'll admit I don't have much of a clue about what I'm talking about. It was more of a suggestion!.

Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:34 pm

Depressed Blue wrote:
Military Junta wrote:
Depressed Blue wrote:
Military Junta wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
Depressed Blue wrote:

I'll admit I don't have much of a clue about what I'm talking about. It was more of a suggestion!.

Heres a better suggestion 'follow the advice of the weather reports before mountain walking' :thumbup:

Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:53 pm

With regard to the people involved this weekend, my heart goes out to them after what can only described as "an act of nature" that can occur at any time in such exposed environments :cry:

In response to the OP, I have to say (for once) I agree with you 110% Adam and refer to the OP to the term "personal responsibility" for anyone carrying out such activities at any time of year and at any location! :thumbup: ;)