Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Earnie or Chops?

Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:09 pm

With Chops recent comments on returning and following in Earnies footsteps, just got me thinking. Both great goal scorers for city over the years which we have not been blessed with. These two in their prime, who's your favourite?

Re: Earnie or Chops?

Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:39 pm

Earnie all day long for me. Loved chops and wouldn't be against giving him a trial but Earnie probably goes down as my favourite ever City player, I loved the way he just used enjoy playing football, always had a smile on his face and his celebrations were always something special. His relationship and strike partnership with Thornie was 1st class, technically Jay and Chops might've been better but Earnie and Thorne knew each others games inside out.

:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:09 pm

Argument for both for different reasons, but how you described earnie was bang on. Only thing you missed was in front of goal he was absolutely lethal! Certain parts of his game weren't perfect but finishing and being in the position to finish were superb!

Then Chopra, he was arrogant but I thibk had more to his overall game than earnshaw. One of my fav moments was the boots off to hot against our friends from over the bridge. :bluebird:

Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:55 pm

Chops for me. Did it for us at a higher level than Earnie did and had the ability to turn a game on his own. He even nearly rescued the Blackpool game when he hit the bar.

Earnie was selfish and play often broke down because he was offside. He was also often phased by the big games, e.g. QPR at the Millennium, whereas Chops always delivered in the big ones, Blackpool, Jacks, etc.

If Chops has Earnies off the field discipline he would have played in the Prem much more successfully than he did.

Chops is up there with Alston & Evans, the Bennett brothers and Dale and Stant for players who had me on the edge of my seat.

Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:51 pm

Earnie for his out and out finishing but Chops for his all round game. Two of our best in the modern era.

Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:05 pm

Chops done it at a higher level and if he had the professionalism that earnie had he prob could have made it at prem level.

Earnie was blistering back in the day and his finishing was sublime, being a local boy too he was always my favourite player along with kav.

Good question,I think with earnie in his prime playing in the team with boothroyd etc he could quite have done as well as chops did, without the off field disruption.. So f**k it earnie for me!

It's a shame earnie didn't get more of a shot in our title winning year!

Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:04 am

Chops

Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:45 am

Robert earnshaw for me by a country mile :bluescarf:

Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:34 am

Earnie by a mile my Favorite ever city player (closely followed by SuperKev)! :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:40 pm

Chops

Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:21 pm

Higher level stats would be interesting !
Earnshaw scored a few championship goals and PL goals, I would go out on a limb and say he probably scored more international goals than Chopra too !
For me only one winner !

Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:58 pm

Without a shadow of a doubt, Earnie. He was a much better finisher than Chopra ever was. Chopra would score something like 10 goals in 4/5 games but then wouldn't score in his next 10 games. There was even a season or two where Chopra scored around 17-19 goals before Christmas, yet by the end of the seasons he had only scored around 23-25 goals. The amount of chances that Chopra missed should have meant that he should have scored at least 30 goals every season for us. I think Earnie was much more consistent as he would score nearly every single game that he played in. Whereas Chopra would score 5 goals in 3 games, then not score in 5 games and then he would score 6 goals in 3 games and not score in 7 games. Earnie was a more prolific and fox in the box, whereas Chopra made a lot of his own goals and he would take the advantage of any mistakes. Clearly they are both Cardiff City legends but for me, Earnie was the better goalscorer and Chopra was the better all round striker.

Bloooooobirds.

Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:46 pm

The Trooper wrote:Higher level stats would be interesting !
Earnshaw scored a few championship goals and PL goals, I would go out on a limb and say he probably scored more international goals than Chopra too !
For me only one winner !

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:47 pm

Earnie. :thumbright:

Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:59 pm

Two really good strikers but earnie for me done it at every level for cardiff and when we couldn't offer him the highest level he done it briefly for west brom.

Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:10 pm

Earnie just,,,, for me both will be known as great strikers for us

Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:19 am

geggs_ccfc wrote:Without a shadow of a doubt, Earnie. He was a much better finisher than Chopra ever was. Chopra would score something like 10 goals in 4/5 games but then wouldn't score in his next 10 games. There was even a season or two where Chopra scored around 17-19 goals before Christmas, yet by the end of the seasons he had only scored around 23-25 goals. The amount of chances that Chopra missed should have meant that he should have scored at least 30 goals every season for us. I think Earnie was much more consistent as he would score nearly every single game that he played in. Whereas Chopra would score 5 goals in 3 games, then not score in 5 games and then he would score 6 goals in 3 games and not score in 7 games. Earnie was a more prolific and fox in the box, whereas Chopra made a lot of his own goals and he would take the advantage of any mistakes. Clearly they are both Cardiff City legends but for me, Earnie was the better goalscorer and Chopra was the better all round striker.

Bloooooobirds.

Good point! He always used to start the season with a ridiculous flurry of goals then go quiet for a while

Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:30 pm

Earnie, he really loved playing for Cardiff. I don't get the impression Chopra ever gave a duck so long as he was paid / his bookie was paid.

Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:15 pm

Chops :thumbup:

Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:11 pm

Chops I thought was the better all round player but off the field a mess.

Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:38 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Chops I thought was the better all round player but off the field a mess.

This ^