Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' CITY STRIKER REVEALS GRUELLING PRE SEASON '

Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:53 am

Cardiff City striker Alex Revell reveals the gruelling details of Bluebirds' pre-season regime

4 July 2015

By Terry Phillips

At 31 Alex Revell has experienced plenty of pre-season camps in his career but none tougher than the one he's just embarked upon at Cardiff City

Alex Revell has lifted the lid on Russell Slade’s gruelling pre-season training regime and says: “We’ll be among the fittest teams around.”

Cardiff City are only a week into their pre-season training and have been hit by double sessions at the Vale of Glamorgan Resort. Slade has promised to turn doubles into trebles when they go to Champneys Spa resort in Leicester on Monday for a week.

The Bluebirds were rated number one in Championship football when it came to fitness when Malky Mackay manager, but Slade complained those levels had dipped by the time he became manager last October.

He set about putting that right, set each of his players personal training programmes over the summer and welcomed his squad back with training morning and afternoon every day.

“We’ll be right up there with the fittest teams around if we keep this up,” said striker Revell. “I’ve done a lot of pre-seasons in my career and the first week has been tough, really tough.

“If we are fitter than teams we play against then we will often have more quality on the ball and those factors will give us an edge.”

Slade welcomed his players back 10 days ago and after a series of one-to-one fitness tests to check they were returning in good condition he ordered doubles.

He has already told his players that will be stepped up again next week when Slade takes his squad to Champneys Spa Resort in Leicestershire when there will be three sessions each day.

“All the lads reported back in brilliant shape and that made it easier to get on with what has been a genuinely tough training schedule,” says Revell. “The gaffer wanted us fitter and you can tell we are a lot fitter already.

“There has been a lot of ball work already, mixed in with the fitness work, and it’s been enjoyable.

“Fitness was an issue last season, but that has been well and truly addressed.”

Revell was talking during the launch of Cardiff’s new blue Adidas home kit for 2015-16 and said: “Everybody has enjoyed seeing the blue back and it’s great to have Adidas kit.

“Fans were happy as they bought their kit and now we need to give them something to smile about during the season.

“Their support towards the end of last season was phenomenal. We earned some good results and the backing of away fans at places like Brentford was amazing. They are a massive part of what we are doing.”

Revell also believes the chemistry between Slade and first team coach Paul Trollope is going to be crucial during Cardiff’s preparation for that opening league clash with Fulham at home on Saturday, August 8.

“The gaffer has had his critics, but there is no question we players are with him all the way,” said Revell. “He took over at a difficult period and when he got his points across we earned solid results.

“Players had to go and he got on with that, while new players came in during January and we had to bed in.

“Now this is his first pre-season and it is his squad. All the lads really enjoy him.

“We have a laugh at the right times, but there is a respect there as well.

“He works well with all the other coaches. Trolls is out there every day on the ball and they are not relaxed sessions. He makes it clear we are there to work.

“The fans will see a different Cardiff City in the new season. There may be one or two new players, while we will be fitter and sharper.

“Don’t judge us on performances in pre-season matches.

“All our efforts are focused on that opening Championship match - and that’s the time for us to be at our best and the fans to help us start the season in style.”

Re: ' CITY STRIKER REVEALS GRUELLING PRE SEASON '

Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:59 am

Very encouraging. :thumbright: :sladein: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:09 am

The fans may not have taken a shine to him, including myself, but that's not the first time the players have said they like working with Slade. I know they can't come out and say they don't, but they could not say nothing at all about working with him.

Seems Trollope has made a huge impact, hence th pick up in results last season and his Wales job. If we can nail down some decent quality players with experience and maybe a few promising youngsters, it could be a decent season.

Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:15 am

CalShepCCFC wrote:The fans may not have taken a shine to him, including myself, but that's not the first time the players have said they like working with Slade. I know they can't come out and say they don't, but they could say nothing at all about working with him.

Seems Trollope has made a huge impact, hence th pick up in results last season and his Wales job. If we can nail down some decent quality players with experience and maybe a few promising youngsters, it could be a decent season.

I agree I really have got a feeling that Slade will turn it around. :thumbright: :sladein:

Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:27 am

We were a shambles in some of our pre season games last year and all these 45 minute run outs didn't help.

Payers looked tired even though they'd only played half a game.

The squad was to big and there were splits and fitness issues.

We also had a handful of key players injured for long spells.

Sounds like Slade is slowly putting things right on the playing side with Trollopes help and Choo is sorting the non playing side.

Bit by bit this club is recovering from 18 months of poor decisions and bad management .

Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:36 am

Rydogsccfc wrote:Very encouraging. :thumbright: :sladein: :ayatollah:

Indeed it is and (for the very first time) I'm actually starting to think that Russell Slade might just be starting to get things together enough to give us a pretty good season! :thumbup:

(Did I really just say that?!?!?) :shock: :o :laughing6: :laughing6:

Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:51 am

Sven wrote:
Rydogsccfc wrote:Very encouraging. :thumbright: :sladein: :ayatollah:

Indeed it is and (for the very first time) I'm actually starting to think that Russell Slade might just be starting to get things together enough to give us a pretty good season! :thumbup:

(Did I really just say that?!?!?) :shock: :o :laughing6: :laughing6:

Yes you did. :laughing6: :thumbup: :sladein: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:17 pm

This is sounding very encouraging, fitness will be key for us this season, last season we couldn't play for a full 90 minutes.

Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:53 pm

Lawnmower wrote:We were a shambles in some of our pre season games last year and all these 45 minute run outs didn't help.

Sounds like Slade is slowly putting things right on the playing side with Trollopes help and Choo is sorting the non playing side.

Bit by bit this club is recovering from 18 months of poor decisions and bad management .

Totally from 12 months ago we are in a much better shape, got my new top this morning and am genuinely excited about the season ahead

Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:55 pm

Be interesting to hear what macheda and kenwynne has to say about double and treble sessions :lol:

Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:37 pm

Slade is a far better manager than he is given credit for on here. He is a good man manager, wily in the market and knows how to train and set up a team. Has brought lots of overachievement at low funded clubs. Not saying he will take us up but I think we will challenge for play-offs regularly under his watch.

Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:28 pm

[quote="Lawnmower"]We were a shambles in some of our pre season games last year and all these 45 minute run outs didn't help.

Bit by bit this club is recovering from 18 months of poor decisions and bad management .[/quot

Good post mate I agree slowly but surely :thumbup:

Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:58 am

Lawnmower wrote:We were a shambles in some of our pre season games last year and all these 45 minute run outs didn't help.

Good post, and completely agree. I think we are going to start the season well, and hopefully come January we will be challenging for play offs and Tan may loosen the purse strings a little.

I'm glad we are no longer splashing cash, while last summer was exciting and we seemed to be signing a new player every day, it really has set us back.

Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:36 pm

given that we chase every game we are involved in as we have on average 35-40% possession, its vital the players are fit. glad to see slade sees this too :laughing6: