Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Wales -10th

Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:56 pm

Ranked 10th in the world when the official rankings come out this is assuming chile do not win the copa america if they do we move down one

just 2 points behind england so close of taking them

http://www.football-rankings.info/2015/ ... eview.html

Re: Wales -10th

Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:22 pm

Could be 11th if Chile beat Argentina in the final of the Copa America. Wins against Cyprus and Israel could put us into the top 5 though.

Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:45 pm

As happy as I am we are doing well and we are doing fantastically we are not in the top 5 teams in the world.

FIFA rankings are crazy. A few bad results at the same point in the cycle on the next cycle and we will drop like a stone.

Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:48 pm

Incredible achievement when you consider we were in the hundreds only a few years ago. Has to go down as one of the biggest achievements in british sport. We've produced some of the best players in European football history, the list is massive...at last, we've finally produced a "team" of players. That play for the Jersey. Average age of that team who beat Belgium was 26. Plenty of years left in this current crop, the future looks bright :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:18 pm

maccydee wrote:As happy as I am we are doing well and we are doing fantastically we are not in the top 5 teams in the world.

FIFA rankings are crazy. A few bad results at the same point in the cycle on the next cycle and we will drop like a stone.

A staggering comparison is Israel. When we beat them in March they were higher than us in the ranking. They'll be in the 4th pot for the world cup draw.

Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:30 pm

Be honest. We're 10th when Bale & Ramsey play and 40th when they don't. :laughing6:

Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:49 pm

salopiancity wrote:Be honest. We're 10th when Bale & Ramsey play and 40th when they don't. :laughing6:

Lol. True mate. Good job they're welsh then....England would kill for players like them 2 :laughing6:

Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:06 pm

mr'mogreenz wrote:
salopiancity wrote:Be honest. We're 10th when Bale & Ramsey play and 40th when they don't. :laughing6:

Lol. True mate. Good job they're welsh then....England would kill for players like them 2 :laughing6:

That's overstating it, but they certainly would for a team spirit like it seems we have at the moment. It is something they wil NEVER have, as they have to much of a superior mentallity.

Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:10 pm

64JACK wrote:
mr'mogreenz wrote:

That's overstating it, but they certainly would for a team spirit like it seems we have at the moment. It is something they wil NEVER have, as they have to much of a superior mentallity.

Agree with that mate :thumbup:

Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:49 pm

Faroe Islands top 100 :shock:

Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:11 am

T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY wrote:Faroe Islands top 100 :shock:

Beat Greece home and away.

Got their own superstar Balemusson who is on fire. Practically winning games on his own.

Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:43 am

maccydee wrote:As happy as I am we are doing well and we are doing fantastically we are not in the top 5 teams in the world.

Really the rankings are just so can have some sort of order to qualifying groups for world cup! Or same teams will be aways be in pot one? so having unfair advantage over everyone else! Reason Euro's expanded was to give small nations like Wales better chance to qualify! :thumbup:

Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:46 am

T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY wrote:Faroe Islands top 100 :shock:

Faroe Islands are now pot 4 for the World Cup let's hope we can draw them :)

Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:50 pm

What we have to remember is that yes its great to be in pot 1. But what about the good teams who has dropped to pot 2 or 3 etc. We can still drae them in groups . :o

Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:19 pm

gwentbluebirds wrote:What we have to remember is that yes its great to be in pot 1. But what about the good teams who has dropped to pot 2 or 3 etc. We can still drae them in groups . :o

Spot on even though I think we would beat them I would like to draw Turkey Russia Poland or Ukraine

All now ranked lower seeds but hard to play and defiantly hard places to go

Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:43 pm

I don't think either FIFA or UEFA have got their rankings system spot on really. As said before, FIFA's changes too much with a few good results. However I think this what they want, allowing smaller teams to progress.

UEFA's rankings don't change enough from what I can see. It doesn't really reward teams much for having a decent tournament.

In my opinion, a middle ground should be found, where a few good games doesn't shoot you up the table, but a good tournament lifts the smaller teams up a pot

Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:00 pm

Where would Wales finish if chile drew with Argentina afrer 90 mins do Wales still be 10th whatever happened to extra time result with chile

Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:09 am

Chile won so we move down to 11th with England moving down to 10th

Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:37 am

CardiffCityBlue wrote:Chile won so we move down to 11th with England moving down to 10th

Not sure about that. A straight win would have been factored at 3 and moved them a little above us. A win on penalties is only factored at 2 so will hopefully keep them below us. It will be great to be top 10 if for only the once and only briefly. All that said we'll be very high with wins in Cyprus and Israel.

Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:44 am

epping blue wrote:
CardiffCityBlue wrote:Chile won so we move down to 11th with England moving down to 10th

Not sure about that. A straight win would have been factored at 3 and moved them a little above us. A win on penalties is only factored at 2 so will hopefully keep them below us. It will be great to be top 10 if for only the once and only briefly. All that said we'll be very high with wins in Cyprus and Israel.

Would we really gain that much points beating Israel and Cyprus as both are lower ranked now?

Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:19 am

CardiffCityBlue wrote:
epping blue wrote:

Would we really gain that much points beating Israel and Cyprus as both are lower ranked now?

Based on the current rankings Wales would get more cumulative ranking points beating Cyprus and Israel than say England for winning their fixtures against San Marino and Switzerland. That will adjust of course when the new rankings are out. But its mainly about our history of particularly poor results in our August friendlies and Sept qualifiers. We'll be losing considerably fewer points than the others.

The August rankings could see us above Holland and closer to Germany than you might think. Both have very lucrative World cup victory games reducing in value by then.

By the time the Nov rankings are out we will have lost those points we amassed in Gary Speed's final few run of winning games, although their now only worth 20% that run is the difference between pot 1 and pot 2 for the world cup draw.

Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:26 pm

epping blue wrote:

Not sure about that. A straight win would have been factored at 3 and moved them a little above us. A win on penalties is only factored at 2 so will hopefully keep them below us. It will be great to be top 10 if for only the once and only briefly. All that we'll be very high with wins in Cyprus and Israel.

A win within 90 minutes would have put them on 1166 points (11 ahead of us). Hopefully the drop in points because they won on penalties, will keep them below us