Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' PETER WHITTINGHAM ? '

Tue May 26, 2015 7:50 am

' PETER WHITTINGHAM '

Peter Whittingham signed for Cardiff City from Aston Villa in 2007 and has made 339 appearances under four different permanent managers, Dave Jones, Malky Mackay, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Russell Slade, scoring 72 goals in the process.

Under each of these managers, Whittingham has been criticised by fans for his lethargic approach and an appearance that seems to be uncaring out on the pitch.

Some former players have accused Whittingham's head of dropping and not being up for the fight but each manager has always made Whittingham a mainstay of their team and despite what fans opinions are he is usually a sure starter in Cardiff City's eleven.

Set pieces have been a forte of Whittingham's and he has scored some vital and spectacular goals for the Bluebirds.

For just a £350k outlay it is hard to dismiss what Whittingham has brought to the team but with speculation that Wolves are preparing a bid for him, is it time to wave goodbye and say thanks to Whitts and allow youngsters like Tom Adeyemi and Joe Ralls to stake their claims as regulars and hand the batten to the up and coming midfielders we have in our squad?

Re: ' PETER WHITTINGHAM ? '

Tue May 26, 2015 7:54 am

We must keep him. During a period of transition there needs to be the odd player that bridges the old and the new. Somebody that ensures stability is maintained in the changing room. We made that mistake by letting Hudson go. He's only 30 years old. There is a role he can still play. There are not many players with his technical ability around. Even during a poor season last year he still contributed to roughly 10 goals. How will we replace that with the new budget constraints?

Yes, he had a poor season last campaign but how many players did? We all know what Whittingham can do and we all know what happens whenever he's written off. He fires right back.

Tue May 26, 2015 8:34 am

Bloke is an idol, greatest of my generation.

When he leaves our idiotic fanbase will wonder why they gave our most technically gifted player, who regularly gets ten and more goals a season such a hard time.

But it's ok because he doesn't win headers. Wow, we have some clowns following the city

Tue May 26, 2015 8:38 am

Whitts for me is to laid back,goes missing on the big games, can be quality,but does not show it enough.

Tue May 26, 2015 8:40 am

cecilccfc wrote:Bloke is an idol, greatest of my generation.

When he leaves our idiotic fanbase will wonder why they gave our most technically gifted player, who regularly gets ten and more goals a season such a hard time.

But it's ok because he doesn't win headers. Wow, we have some clowns following the city

I agree, it reminds me of when we had Kavanagh and fans turned on him. I remember standing on the Grange End arguing with fans who were abusing him for sideways passing.

Strangely enough, McPhail ended up receiving similar abuse.

Tue May 26, 2015 9:17 am

carlccfc wrote:

I agree, it reminds me of when we had Kavanagh and fans turned on him. I remember standing on the Grange End arguing with fans who were abusing him for sideways passing.

Kavanagh was a victim of poor movement from his team mates and being played out of position. Richard Langley was also a victim of that to a certain extent. The season before we signed him he'd been superb for QPR behind the front man as an AM. We sign him and shift him out wide then the fans wonder why he wasn't effective.

McPhail was frustrating. You could guarantee there was a period in each season where we'd need to bring him in to keep things ticking over. However, he got worked out very quickly by the opposition and within 5 games of returning would become ineffective.

Tue May 26, 2015 9:18 am

carlccfc wrote:

The same people boo when turner lumps a long aimless ball forward.

Whitts must stay and play centrally in a 4-2-3-1 IMO, as part of the 2 with his job being to pick the ball up from defenders and keep the ball moving, the occasional long pass if it's on and always be available for the ball from midfielders and then someone alongside him to win the ball back.

Will get us playing decent football again

Tue May 26, 2015 9:21 am

Keep him I say. Not played well last year but neither did loads. We should fit him in a formation we he is best used. 442 is not that

Tue May 26, 2015 9:57 am

he probably only has a year left at this level anyway imo

Tue May 26, 2015 10:10 am

Zabier wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

Kavanagh was a victim of poor movement from his team mates and being played out of position. Richard Langley was also a victim of that to a certain extent. The season before we signed him he'd been superb for QPR behind the front man as an AM. We sign him and shift him out wide then the fans wonder why he wasn't effective.

McPhail was frustrating. You could guarantee there was a period in each season where we'd need to bring him in to keep things ticking over. However, he got worked out very quickly by the opposition and within 5 games of returning would become ineffective.

Good post that

Tue May 26, 2015 10:13 am

He had a poor season but so did all of the squad apart from perhaps Jones, who, despite being our best player, gets most criticism! I think though it is unfair on the majority of players to criticise them too much based on the last 18 months. While I certainly wasn't a Malky fan at least the players knew then system and expectations. Subsequent managers and the staff turnaround has left players bemused. confused and lacking in confidence.

I would hold onto Whitts for one more season and see if the system we play and football will bring out the best in him. If we are doing poorly we will change managers and hopefully Whitts will respond, if we are doing well Whitts will thrive.

Tue May 26, 2015 10:55 am

The best footballer at the club. :ayatollah:

Tue May 26, 2015 11:23 am

Sell him. Fact we won most our games last season when he wasnt in the side speaks volumes for me and confirms what my opinion of whitts is playing in this system under slade. Sell him and replace him with a new signing.

Tue May 26, 2015 11:36 am

To me the answer seems to be in the question,a team above us wants to buy our player :roll: Keep him I say :ayatollah:

Tue May 26, 2015 2:08 pm

Let him go!

Tue May 26, 2015 3:24 pm

No. In my opinion we should keep Whitts. A great servant to the club and played in the correct role by a decent manager he will do well for us again.

Tue May 26, 2015 3:50 pm

Must be one of the highest earners in the club?

I notice that all the other threads about players have mentioned their salaries but not this one.

How much is Whitts on?

If he is one of the highest earners at the club then surely Tan will want him off the books asap?

Tue May 26, 2015 4:26 pm

either he is done here or not happy ...maybe best to let him go... :ayatollah:

Tue May 26, 2015 4:33 pm

I think the problem is - you're only as good as your team mates. When he had bothroyd, chopra, Bellamy Burke making runs, he could pick up the ball and pass it first time. Now, he doesn't have the same runs, he'll take another touch, one more and then he'll get closed down. Same if your playing with someone you don't overly trust, you can't focus on your own game when your worried about what they'll do.

All I say is, we all sprout about loyalty, condemned Bothroyd for leaving for the prem - so let's respect and appreciate the loyalty shown to us and get behind Whittingham....

Tue May 26, 2015 6:32 pm

BlueMagic wrote:Sell him. Fact we won most our games last season when he wasnt in the side speaks volumes for me and confirms what my opinion of whitts is playing in this system under slade. Sell him and replace him with a new signing.

Change your name to "Clueless Magic" ..... there are no facts in your statement , your hatred of Whitts is clouding your judgement
In total we won 16 league games this season
We have won 13 games with Whittingham in the side ...... and 3 when he was out of the side

Tue May 26, 2015 6:38 pm

Great player for us but he doesn't fit into a slade 442 so time to move him on.

Tue May 26, 2015 6:42 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Great player for us but he doesn't fit into a slade 442 so time to move him on.

Agree.

Tue May 26, 2015 6:45 pm

7777 glt wrote:
BlueMagic wrote:Sell him. Fact we won most our games last season when he wasnt in the side speaks volumes for me and confirms what my opinion of whitts is playing in this system under slade. Sell him and replace him with a new signing.

Change your name to "Clueless Magic" ..... there are no facts in your statement , your hatred of Whitts is clouding your judgement
In total we won 16 league games this season
We have won 13 games with Whittingham in the side ...... and 3 when he was out of the side

This ^^^ :thumbup:

Tue May 26, 2015 6:46 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Great player for us but he doesn't fit into a slade 442 so time to move him on.

Luke, or is it time to move Slade on and get a manager that knows how to play anything other than 4-4-2 :sladeout:

Tue May 26, 2015 6:47 pm

Bobbank59 wrote:No. In my opinion we should keep Whitts. A great servant to the club and played in the correct role by a decent manager he will do well for us again.

spot on :thumbup:

Tue May 26, 2015 6:47 pm

spot on yet again :thumbup:

Tue May 26, 2015 6:48 pm

tenerife_blu wrote:

Luke, or is it time to move Slade on and get a manager that knows how to play anything other than 4-4-2 :sladeout:

Without a doubt but doesn't seem that's going to happen.

Tue May 26, 2015 6:48 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Whitts for me is to laid back,goes missing on the big games, can be quality,but does not show it enough.

Annis that goes for the majority of our players

Tue May 26, 2015 6:49 pm

boyo1927 wrote:Keep him I say. Not played well last year but neither did loads. We should fit him in a formation we he is best used. 442 is not that

:thumbup:

Tue May 26, 2015 6:49 pm

mugsy wrote:The best footballer at the club. :ayatollah:

:ayatollah: :thumbup: