Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' TAN IS THE NEW ABRAMOVICH ? '

Mon May 25, 2015 3:06 pm

Vincent Tan's continues to expand his football empire, with Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan's latest venture seeing him take a stake in Belgian outfit KV Kortrijk.

Monday 25th My 2015

by Alex Bywater

The Malaysian businessman, who already boasts an interest in the Bluebirds as well as Bosnian side FK Sarajevo and Major League Soccer franchise Los Angeles, announced his investment into a fourth club this week.

It's clear that Tan, who has had a tense relationship with Cardiff fans, hasn't lost his interest in the beautiful game.

Vincent Tan is described as a “cool” man, posing for selfies with KVK fans.

“My friend will be very – er – jealous,” one fan says to Tan, after posing for a photo with the Malaysian.

With a smile, Tan responds: “It's okay, my friend.”

One article continues to describe how Tan ate chips with Belgian fans and posed for photo after photo with supporters. “Nothing was too much for Tan,” they report.

Tan also watched on from the stands, wearing a replica shirt and with a scarf around his neck, as KVK drew 2-2 with Champions League side Anderlecht.

It was a superb result for KVK, with Tan saying afterwards: “We played against a team with a budget four times bigger than ours.

“The bookies did not believe in us, but anything is possible in football.

“A draw is a fantastic result. I enjoyed the experience and the atmosphere."

A very moderate man... not at all eccentric

KVK chief executive Patrick Turcq, who confirmed Tan has asked him to stay on in his current role with the club, was full of praise for his new boss.

He told one Belgian media outlet the perception of Tan as an eccentric owner was wrong from what he had seen.

"He has confirmed me in my role as CEO,” said Mr Turcq.

“I find that a form of appreciation and I appreciate that. It was all very cordial and constructive.”

Mr Turcq continued: “Contrary to what one might expect from his reputation, he comes across as a very moderated man. Not at all eccentric. He was calm and modest – an ordinary man. He played no games."

Tan also confirmed he'd like to see the four teams he has invested in – Cardiff City, Sarajevo, KVK and Los Angeles – all play in a tournament together, possibly in Malaysia.

Tan is compared in one report to Chelsea's Russian owner Abramovich after taking over the club.

Contrary to what Abramovich did at Stamford Bridge, ploughing millions into a star-studded squad for boss Jose Mourinho, Tan's continued emphasis on financial stability is well received.

In general, the Belgian media defend the right for foreign owners to takeover their clubs with one outlet describing him as a “thoroughbred businessman” who left a good impression on everyone he met.

Re: ' TAN IS THE NEW ABRAMOVICH ? '

Mon May 25, 2015 3:14 pm

Does anyone else think that it feels wrong, or is it just me?

I feel betrayed by the man due to the rebrand and the squashing of the soul of a club that could have gotten big.

I'm on holiday now, seen 2 jack tops and haven't even got a kit or a badge that I can wear with pride!

I'm not sure who I hate more, jacks or Tan?! :bluebird:

Mon May 25, 2015 3:16 pm

eddiep wrote:Does anyone else think that it feels wrong, or is it just me?

I feel betrayed by the man due to the rebrand and the squashing of the soul of a club that could have gotten big.

I'm on holiday now, seen 2 jack tops and haven't even got a kit or a badge that I can wear with pride!

Eddie, I feel the same way, I have NO Respect at all for him.

Mon May 25, 2015 3:20 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
eddiep wrote:Does anyone else think that it feels wrong, or is it just me?

Eddie, I feel the same way, I have NO Respect at all for him.

Our time will come big fella :bluescarf:

Mon May 25, 2015 3:25 pm

All reports are suggesting that he has learnt from his mistakes at Cardiff.

If that is the case there is potential for us to benefit, just as much as all Tan's other clubs, FROM THIS POINT FORWARD.

The problem now being do we trust and forgive him? From what I know of City fans the answer to that is a resounding no.

Mon May 25, 2015 3:48 pm

Wayne S wrote:All reports are suggesting that he has learnt from his mistakes at Cardiff.

If that is the case there is potential for us to benefit, just as much as all Tan's other clubs, FROM THIS POINT FORWARD.

The problem now being do we trust and forgive him? From what I know of City fans the answer to that is a resounding no.

Wayne, City fans can only look forward now and move on in hope rather than continued bitterness! :thumbup:

We don't know what Tan or the next owner(s) will do and if truth be know, there is little we fans can do about the 'behind the scenes' stuff (as fans of other clubs have found out, too)

Time to move forward and support what we have in the hope that the people at the top have indeed learned from their mistakes. We don't have to 'respect' the man at the top, but we do have to appreciate that he is finally starting to put long-term sustainability at the top of his 'to do' list! :ayatollah:

Mon May 25, 2015 4:02 pm

Wayne S wrote:All reports are suggesting that he has learnt from his mistakes at Cardiff.

City fans always want the bigger better deal, have we ever been happy?

Do I trust Tan? No but do I trust any football owner? No.
I dislike Tans because of the rebrand but I'm happy to look forward now it's been reversed.

Mon May 25, 2015 5:24 pm

At the moment Tan is more like the new Mike Ashley.

About as popular with fans as Ashley is.

Mon May 25, 2015 6:35 pm

I just love the way he doesn't disrespect any of these other clubs fans by changing badges or colours that are 100 years old, then he says they are great fans who respect him. You honestly couldn't make it up.

Tue May 26, 2015 2:10 am

Sven wrote:

Wayne, City fans can only look forward now and move on in hope rather than continued bitterness! :thumbup:

We don't know what Tan or the next owner(s) will do and if truth be know, there is little we fans can do about the 'behind the scenes' stuff (as fans of other clubs have found out, too)

Time to move forward and support what we have in the hope that the people at the top have indeed learned from their mistakes. We don't have to 'respect' the man at the top, but we do have to appreciate that he is finally starting to put long-term sustainability at the top of his 'to do' list! :ayatollah:

Totally agree Ave. That looking forward is the only way to go. The colour and badge have been resolved and surely won't be meddled with again. Tan is learning from his mistakes and his attitude with these new investments is reflecting this.

His portfolio is expanding so he must see potential. He's not dull when it comes to money.

The more successful these other clubs are, the more likely he is to have another go at the PL with Cardiff. Just my opinion, but he isn't going to let the club wither on the vine. :bluescarf:

Tue May 26, 2015 8:08 am

I'm just against owners having interests in more than one club. I'm amazed FIFA or UEFA hasn't stepped in. Imagine if in the future Cardiff played this Belgian side in European competition (very theoretical I know!). The potential risks of vested interests in both sides by the owner could allow for so much manipulation of results. It's bizarre and I don't like it at all.

Tue May 26, 2015 9:25 am

Zabier wrote:I'm just against owners having interests in more than one club. I'm amazed FIFA or UEFA hasn't stepped in. Imagine if in the future Cardiff played this Belgian side in European competition (very theoretical I know!). The potential risks of vested interests in both sides by the owner could allow for so much manipulation of results. It's bizarre and I don't like it at all.

Tan is looking to by-pass negotiations for players at other clubs as much as possible, it is his ambition to see players move to his primary income stream (Cardiff in PL) from his feeder clubs, saving money & is risk-free business as they can be transferred back.

100% agree it should be stopped, in 10 years, it will be normal for owners having > 1 club

Tue May 26, 2015 9:43 am

Zabier wrote:I'm just against owners having interests in more than one club. I'm amazed FIFA or UEFA hasn't stepped in. Imagine if in the future Cardiff played this Belgian side in European competition (very theoretical I know!). The potential risks of vested interests in both sides by the owner could allow for so much manipulation of results. It's bizarre and I don't like it at all.

This is a brilliant point which I have wondered about since VT bought the Bosnian club. Apparently the rules are its not a problem unless both clubs are drawn against each other in a European competition. So if we take the unlikely scenario that Cardiff are drawn against either, or on the other hand the Belgian and Bosnian teams play each other in say the Europa League, what would happen then?

Would VT have to ditch one of the clubs before the tie was played?

Tue May 26, 2015 9:57 am

Big difference is Tan hasn't continued to plough money onto CCFC and tried to get the best players and manager in place - massive difference between the two styles

Tue May 26, 2015 10:04 am

Ninian Knight wrote:

This is a brilliant point which I have wondered about since VT bought the Bosnian club. Apparently the rules are its not a problem unless both clubs are drawn against each other in a European competition. So if we take the unlikely scenario that Cardiff are drawn against either, or on the other hand the Belgian and Bosnian teams play each other in say the Europa League, what would happen then?

Would VT have to ditch one of the clubs before the tie was played?

calls into question another conundrum, does an owner give an order to purposely drop points in order to NOT participate in Europe if there is an outside chance he could be paired against his other club in the same competition?