Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Preston v Swindon

Sun May 24, 2015 11:00 pm

League 1 Play off Final

Preston North End v Swindon Town

Wembley Stadium

Att: 48,236

The Last time I was on Wembley Way, I had just seen the mighty Bluebirds lose out on taking Englands second cup out of the country, as disappointed as I was that day, it was no where near the Blackpool Play off Final disappointment.

So today I made the journey as a (semi) neutral to watch my local team take on Preston for a place in the championship.

All of my previous visits to wembley, I have had seats behind the goal but today i had the top end £80 :shock: tickets.
Lovely padded seats with a padded back, arm rests either side and also a beverage holder in front of me (was i in the cinema or a football stadium??) all was a little bit too upmarket for my standards, but still, all part of the experience.

As the teams came onto the pitch the crowd erupted and both sets of supporters noisily welcoming their respective teams, The Swindon town end lifting Red and White cards to spell out STFC, while the Preston end waved white flags, a great reception for both teams.

I have seen Swindon play a few times this season, so I know how well they can play but also how poorly they defend, I also know how much a massive influence their Captain Nathan Thompson is. So it was devastating for the team to lose him so early on and also to concede that early too. I've heard Swindon fans rave on about how great a keeper Fodderingham is, i have yet to be convinced in the 10 + games i've seen him play (or maybe i've been spoilt with Marshall, Heaton and More for the last few years) he just doesnt seem that good.

Swindon never picked themselves up after that, aside from a few flashes of brilliance from Byrne, Luongo wasn't at the races and Kasim was no where near his usual standard. Prestons Hoof ball tactics were tearing Swindon apart, I said at the time, that I believe Preston to have one outlet being Beckford. The Swindon defence gave him too much time and space to do what he does best, and he did it. 20/1 for a Beckford hatrick!! Wish I'd taken that one.

Only when Beckford went off, did Swindon start playing, but unfortunately it was way too little, way too late.

Preston 4 Swindon 0

So what do we have to look forward to next season with Preston?
I believe nothing new. On loan Beckford will possibly return to his parent club Bolton and preston will carry on where they left off, hoof and run. I feel Swindon still play better football, and have a better setup but it wasn't to be.

Swindon came to Wembley to play football, Preston came to Win.

As for the future of the Swindon team, Next year will be very different.

Swindon have no money, their team is built up from on loan youngsters, non league gems and premier league rejects on a second chance. They are trying desperately to reduce the wage bill left over from the DiCanio era, and so are not renewing contracts of some of the players signed back then as the wages are too high.

Of the team on the field today,
Fodderingham and Sub Williams are not renewing their contracts as the club cannot afford their wages and i assume that the players will not take a pay cut.
On loan Stephens,Turnbull, Toffolo, And subs Rickets and L Thompson will return to their parent club
Luongo want out and has said so to the press
Kasim, Gladwin and Byrne are being looked at by championship clubs.
So that leaves 3 of the 14 players that played today, still at Swindon next season. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sad times for Swindon and unfortunately, another away game up north for Cardiff next season.

On a Personal note, I really hope that the Bluebirds are one of the teams that are looking at Byrne, he is 22, oozes skill and excitement going forward, and is pretty damn solid at Right back, Come on Slade, Here is the League 1 Gem we need.

Re: Preston v Swindon

Sun May 24, 2015 11:11 pm

20150524_172333_resized.jpg

20150524_172243_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Preston v Swindon

Mon May 25, 2015 9:20 am

Sorry..but I watched the first half and Byrne 's crossing was awful and he was giving the ball away..not my cup of tea....