Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' DAVID MARSHALL? '

Sun May 24, 2015 11:47 am

David Marshall is one of our most consistent performers and the player who has attracted the most amount of speculation and apparent interest in previous transfer windows, Arsenal were ready to pay £6m for Marshall last summer.

At 30 years old is it time to cash in on Marshall and give Simon Moore, 25 years old, the opportunity as the replacement.

Moore proved last season he is good enough as a number one Championship goalkeeper.

Marshall is on approximately £25,000 per week.

Sell Marshall and cash in, or stick with him ?

At what age will his value drop, how long should City hold on to him ?

Opinions :ayatollah:

Re: ' DAVID MARSHALL? '

Sun May 24, 2015 11:52 am

If Moore was as good as Marshall when the Scot came here first of all I would say yes cash in on Marshall.

I don't think Moore is that good yet but could be if given a full season at 1st choice. It would be a gamble though.

Sun May 24, 2015 11:53 am

I would stick with him, & even at 30 he still has many more years left in him yet. I would only consider a move if a serious amount was on the cards,,,more than the £6 million quoted.

Sun May 24, 2015 12:29 pm

I would keep him. If we're honest he was the most important player in our promotion year and in the Prem we would have been relegated by the end of Feb without him :bluescarf:

Moore looks like a good back up but Marshall is one of those rare keepers that can make numerous saves that, quite simply, he shouldn't. Moore looks pretty safe but I'm not sure he'll ever get to the level Marshall is at.

However, if Marshall said that he wanted one last go at the Prem I think we owe him that chance and should let him go with our thanks :bluebird:

Sun May 24, 2015 12:33 pm

Bit of a toughie for me. While I believe he is our best ever keeper and saved us many points over the years we need to sell when at highest value so if £6 million is still about then yes otherwise no keep him for another 5 years :ayatollah:

Sun May 24, 2015 1:27 pm

Time to sell Marshall if we get offered £Millions?

Really enjoyed having him as our goalie,but wages far to high.

Should not be the Captain either.

Simon Moore will do the job :thumbright:

Sun May 24, 2015 1:34 pm

We should have kept Tom Heaton, look where he is now.

Sun May 24, 2015 1:45 pm

We need to get things sorted quickly, this seems to be a tricky 1
Decent money for Marshall ... Yes take it and also Moore will have a good run, think we would need another back up.
As you said Marshall is 30....some keepers are still good enough at 35-40, so I think he still has a few years in him. If we do sell its got to go towards the team...... NOT Tans pocket :sladeout: :sladeout: :bluebird: :bluebird: :wave: 8-) :thumbup:

Sun May 24, 2015 1:45 pm

It's tough cos I don't think Moore is ready myself to prone to a error at the moment imo but if someone puts in a offer around 7-8m I'd take it and put trust in the kid Moore

Sun May 24, 2015 1:56 pm

Cardiffcitymad wrote:We should have kept Tom Heaton, look where he is now.

If we'd kept him he would probably have gone by now anyway ;)

Sun May 24, 2015 1:58 pm

Reza wrote:It's tough cos I don't think Moore is ready myself to prone to a error at the moment imo but if someone puts in a offer around 7-8m I'd take it and put trust in the kid Moore

Agree with you on that ... It's what would we get!

Sun May 24, 2015 2:12 pm

I doubt we'd get much more than £3m for him, but I'd sell him - I don't think we can afford to be shelling out £25k a week for players

Sun May 24, 2015 3:15 pm

I said he should have been sold last summer and fully stand by that. His value will have already massively dropped from last season.

Probably get around 2 to 3m for him now and I'd still cash in. We ain't tour anywhere under slade so make the cut backs needed.

Sun May 24, 2015 5:59 pm

8m plus and sell
otherwise keep

Sun May 24, 2015 7:08 pm

Cardiffcitymad wrote:We should have kept Tom Heaton, look where he is now.

The same place as Marshall, preparing for a season in the championship?

Sun May 24, 2015 7:51 pm

bigb wrote:8m plus and sell
otherwise keep

This is the figure I had in my head too. I think Marshall is our most important player, especially at a time when we're tightening our belts so if we lose a couple of players from spine positions then we need him to stay.

That said, I can see us accepting anything over £6m. If he left I'd be gutted but I do think Simon Moore is of a high enough quality to step in. Could he remain as number one if we went up? I doubt it but that's not something we need to worry about right now.

Sun May 24, 2015 7:56 pm

As long as price is right why not sell him, same with whitts, I believe that he has been fantastic for us but everyone has their price

Sun May 24, 2015 9:00 pm

Arsenal, Liverpool and possibly Manchester United (if de Gea leaves) could do with a goalkeeper, and I'm sure Marshall could perform at that level.

Ask yourselves this:

If Moore replaces Marshall, how many more goals would we concede over a season?

For £25,000 a week, could we buy the players who would score more goals than the extra ones we concede by letting Marshall go? I think we probably could.

I hope this makes sense.

:sladein:

Mon May 25, 2015 6:42 am

bluebird58 wrote:Arsenal, Liverpool and possibly Manchester United (if de Gea leaves) could do with a goalkeeper, and I'm sure Marshall could perform at that level.

Ask yourselves this:

For £25,000 a week, could we buy the players who would score more goals than the extra ones we concede by letting Marshall go? I think we probably could.

I hope this makes sense.

If clubs like Utd wanted him, he'd be there already, we have to be a bit more realistic than rating him as highly as a credible replacement for De Gea, you believe Marshall is at the same level as Victor Valdes?

Mon May 25, 2015 9:51 am

Keep him he wants to be here. A quality keeper and the one player on high earnings we should keep. Rest can go. Unless they fancy a pay cut

Mon May 25, 2015 11:43 am

Forever Blue wrote:Time to sell Marshall if we get offered £Millions?

Really enjoyed having him as our goalie,but wages far to high.

Should not be the Captain either.

Simon Moore will do the job :thumbright:

what £25k a week?

he has saved us countless points. there is dross like dikagoi, le fondre, macheda and so on who are on more than that.

i agree sell if the price is right, but it needs to be £6m plus. 30 is young for a goalkeeper.

Mon May 25, 2015 1:06 pm

ThomasC wrote:
bluebird58 wrote:Arsenal, Liverpool and possibly Manchester United (if de Gea leaves) could do with a goalkeeper, and I'm sure Marshall could perform at that level.

Ask yourselves this:

I hope this makes sense.

If clubs like Utd wanted him, he'd be there already, we have to be a bit more realistic than rating him as highly as a credible replacement for De Gea, you believe Marshall is at the same level as Victor Valdes?

Marshall is nowhere near Champions League standard. His weaknesses for me are his command of the box in set pieces, his speed coming off the line, his poor footwork, and his poor distribution (particularly with the throw). His undoubted strength is in one on ones, or in pulling off amazing shot stopping saves, but there are too many deficiencies to perform at the highest level. Sorry.