Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: GET RID OF THE WAG LEECHES

Wed May 27, 2015 2:18 pm

rumpo kid wrote:Its shoved down our throats now - grow up in Cardiff all my life, and be told what to do by a bunch of outsiders speaking a different language - sod off.

Outsiders?! Speaking a different language?! It's the native language of this country, so if you don't like it, cer i grafu!

Wed May 27, 2015 3:36 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
rumpo kid wrote:Its shoved down our throats now - grow up in Cardiff all my life, and be told what to do by a bunch of outsiders speaking a different language - sod off.

Outsiders?! Speaking a different language?! It's the native language of this country, so if you don't like it, cer i grafu!

I don't speak Welsh and don't know much about it. My understanding is that Welsh is a far older language than English, and was once spoken not only in Wales, but further South in counties like Cornwall as well. I think it should be a matter of choice as to whether or not someone learns the language, but agree that there have been times when it has appeared that the language has been forced on people who have no interest in it. It was certainly pushed on me quite forcefully when I was in my early teens, but I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Fri May 29, 2015 9:04 am

The native tongue in South Wales is english, and youve just proved my point about welsh extremists.

Fri May 29, 2015 10:58 am

Typical hypocrisy from Welsh Nationalists. On one hand they want to welcome every Tom, Dick or Abdul into the country then on the other hand they want people to use a language which no-one else uses apart from a couple of cowboys in Patagonia ffs!!!

Fri May 29, 2015 12:11 pm

rumpo kid wrote:75% of people not voting for the Assembley.

We should pay them what their worth, which is not alot judging by their performance, and giving more powers to these incompetetents is disastrous.

We need another referendum, because if the quality of our leaders doesnt improve, they can never be taken seriously.

If we lose the Welsh Assembly the English government would crush us.It may not be perfect.But it is the only thing keeping the fromTories pushing us into the 3rd world.And because it is elected under a more democratic system it is better than that shower of shit in Westminster.

Fri May 29, 2015 12:52 pm

Pant_yr_awel bluebird wrote:

We should pay them what their worth, which is not alot judging by their performance, and giving more powers to these incompetetents is disastrous.

We need another referendum, because if the quality of our leaders doesnt improve, they can never be taken seriously.

If we lose the Welsh Assembly the English government would crush us.It may not be perfect.But it is the only thing keeping the fromTories pushing us into the 3rd world.And because it is elected under a more democratic system it is better than that shower of shit in Westminster.

I've been around for just under 60 years now, and up until I took early retirement I worked all my adult life. I have never noticed any big differences in my living standards whoever has been in power. Petrol went up and down in price as did our weekly shopping bill, but that happened under both labour and conservative. I don't think any of the parties will push us into the 3rd world, and the average working person won't see any huge difference in their living standards whoever is in power unless there is another world recession which won't be caused by either of our main parties. They all have their good and bad points, and all make promises that they never keep.

Fri May 29, 2015 1:01 pm

rumpo kid wrote:The native tongue in South Wales is english, and youve just proved my point about welsh extremists.

What amuses me about people that complain about the Welsh language is that they don't bother to learn the reasons for its demise.When the English government in the 19th century debated what the problem with Welsh and the Welsh people was' one member of the Government stated that the only way to finally subdue Welsh nationalism'was to eradicate the British language.Welsh then was known at the top as the British language. So they outlawed Welsh in all schools.Beating children for speaking their native language.So when people bleat on about ethnic cleansing' many people like you are active supporters of it.I don't speak Welsh myself.My family originate from Yorkshire.But i do support the language.And the people that speak it.And i am trying to learn it.Age though is not on my side.

Fri May 29, 2015 1:09 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:

I've been around for just under 60 years now, and up until I took early retirement I worked all my adult life. I have never noticed any big differences in my living standards whoever has been in power. Petrol went up and down in price as did our weekly shopping bill, but that happened under both labour and conservative. I don't think any of the parties will push us into the 3rd world, and the average working person won't see any huge difference in their living standards whoever is in power unless there is another world recession which won't be caused by either of our main parties. They all have their good and bad points, and all make promises that they never keep.

Except that it was the Tories that destroyed Welsh industry and countless communities. Their leader was a Meglomaniac at the time though.Before you say that the pit's were uneconomical' i will say some were.But many were viable.Thatcher and one of her poodles' Peter Walker fought tooth and nail to stop miners taking over Tower colliery.They said it could not make a profit.It has made a profit ever since.

Fri May 29, 2015 1:42 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:

Except that it was the Tories that destroyed Welsh industry and countless communities. Their leader was a Meglomaniac at the time though.Before you say that the pit's were uneconomical' i will say some were.But many were viable.Thatcher and one of her poodles' Peter Walker fought tooth and nail to stop miners taking over Tower colliery.They said it could not make a profit.It has made a profit ever since.

Scargill was equally a Meglomaniac

Fri May 29, 2015 2:12 pm

Nothing against the welsh language, or any who speak it, just fed up with it being foisted on many people who don't. Wales hasnt changed for most since the WAG started, so the cost cant be justified. The quality of AM's is also second-rate.

The point on the mines, it was actually Labour in the 60's who closed more pits than the tories in the 80's, but its not talked about, and Kinnock refused to support the miners in 84/85, over the ballot he says.

Tower(deep) closed in 2008, and was bailed out by Blairs government to the tune of £3.5 millions after the buy-out so it could survive.

If you consider whats happened at Pergwm and Unity, the geology makes it a risky investment indeed. Its not the same when the price was set in the Coal Exchange when we had the monopoly, the welsh pits would have to compete at the global price, and thus cant make it work.

Fri May 29, 2015 2:17 pm

As previously mentioned, from the Queen's speech on Wednesday:

'Permanence of the Assembly and the Welsh government to be enshrined in law'.

The Welsh language (Welsh Langauge Act) and Assembly (to be renamed a Parliament after the 2016 elections) are enshrined in British law.

Signed and sealed by the Queen herself (I know you Brit nats love her)

They are here am byth.

Don't like it? Leave, there is nothing you can do. Even UKIP are for devolution these days. Even Nathan Gill's kids speak Welsh.

You have lost. :ayatollah: :old:

Fri May 29, 2015 2:26 pm

tcblue wrote:As previously mentioned, from the Queen's speech on Wednesday:

'Permanence of the Assembly and the Welsh government to be enshrined in law'.

The Welsh language (Welsh Langauge Act) and Assembly (to be renamed a Parliament after the 2016 elections) are enshrined in British law.

Signed and sealed by the Queen herself (I know you Brit nats love her)

They are here am byth.

Don't like it? Leave, there is nothing you can do. Even UKIP are for devolution these days. Even Nathan Gill's kids speak Welsh.

You have lost. :ayatollah: :old:

Do you support giving AMs who constituency is around an hour away from Cardiff Bay to be given second homes in Penarth and Cardiff Bay at a cost to the taxpayer..? They claim its too far to travel to work yet easily forgot that thousands of their constituents do a similar journey each and every day.

Fri May 29, 2015 2:45 pm

Under these fools, if you want a decent schooling or don't fancy dying in the ambulance, leaving is the better option...

The only losers are the peole of Wales, 75% of whom did not vote for a welsh government am byth.

Fri May 29, 2015 2:58 pm

Military Junta wrote:Typical hypocrisy from Welsh Nationalists. On one hand they want to welcome every Tom, Dick or Abdul into the country then on the other hand they want people to use a language which no-one else uses apart from a couple of cowboys in Patagonia ffs!!!

You've obviously got a big problem with all things Welsh my friend. Shame. You note in your post that nobody uses the language, allow me enlighten you on the history of the language. It was once spoken across mainland Britain from Ystrad Clud or Strathclyde in Scotland to Dwfr or Dover in the South of England (both place names come from the original Welsh). The language established itself in the western territories as the Saxon (English) invaders pushed for more land.
More recently in Victorian times following a report by English school inspectors, monoglot children who spoke Welsh in schools had to wear a wooden block (Welsh Not) around their necks and were caned for doing so. Families turned against speaking Welsh in their hundreds
Even so in 1800s almost 90% of the population spoke Welsh.
With King Coal bringing in migrant workers from all over Britain and Ireland the miners were 'asked' not to speak in their native language underground (health and safety) this obviously continued on the surface and the language disappeared from the valleys in almost a generation.
Even though it is estimated that of all Welsh casualties in WW1 as many as 25% were monoglot Welsh speakers!
So, it's really a case of how the hell did the language survive all this and is now making a huge revival in Cardiff. In the 80 there was one Welsh primary school, there are now 15! Most of the children in these schools come from English speaking homes. These parents must see something important in the original language of the British Isles it's a pity you can't see it.

Fri May 29, 2015 3:15 pm

BlueGog wrote:
Military Junta wrote:Typical hypocrisy from Welsh Nationalists. On one hand they want to welcome every Tom, Dick or Abdul into the country then on the other hand they want people to use a language which no-one else uses apart from a couple of cowboys in Patagonia ffs!!!

You've obviously got a big problem with all things Welsh my friend. Shame. You note in your post that nobody uses the language, allow me enlighten you on the history of the language. It was once spoken across mainland Britain from Ystrad Clud or Strathclyde in Scotland to Dwfr or Dover in the South of England (both place names come from the original Welsh). The language established itself in the western territories as the Saxon (English) invaders pushed for more land.
More recently in Victorian times following a report by English school inspectors, monoglot children who spoke Welsh in schools had to wear a wooden block (Welsh Not) around their necks and were caned for doing so. Families turned against speaking Welsh in their hundreds
With King Coal bringing in migrant workers from all over Britain and Ireland the miners were 'asked' not to speak in their native language underground (health and safety) this obviously continued on the surface and the language disappeared from the valleys in almost a generation.
Even though it is estimated that of all Welsh casualties in WW1 as many as 25% were monoglot Welsh speakers!
So, it's really a case of how the hell did the language survive all this and is now making a huge revival in Cardiff. In the 80 there was one Welsh primary school, there are now 15! Most of the children in these schools come from English speaking homes. These parents must see something important in the original language of the British Isles it's a pity you can't see it.

I don't want a patronising history lesson thank you very much but theres only a increase in Welsh schools because the WAG is pushing for a increase. People seem to think that the welsh language attracts visitors and tourists but that's absolute bollox!!! Do people visit Thailand because they want to hear someone speak Thai..? or do people visit France to hear someone speak French..? Absolute f*cking nonsence

Fri May 29, 2015 3:26 pm

Military Junta wrote:
BlueGog wrote:

I don't want a patronising history lesson thank you very much but theres only a increase in Welsh schools because the WAG is pushing for a increase. People seem to think that the welsh language attracts visitors and tourists but that's absolute bollox!!! Do people visit Thailand because they want to hear someone speak Thai..? or do people visit France to hear someone speak French..? Absolute f*cking nonsence

Not too sure what your problem is with Welsh but you are very miss informed. The increase in Welsh language education had started way before the WAG became a reality. It's really more about a better standard of education. It's a proven fact by educationalist the world over that learning more than one language is a huge benefit and children who speak more than one language succeed to a higher degree.
As for cultural tourism, you'd better check with the Welsh Tourism because cultural tourism is the big market the world over. Another language opens another window on the world opening up a new culture and traditions. It's such a shame you've shut that window on your own traditions and culture for whatever reason, you just don't know what you're missing.
Go on, dare you to open it, just a little...

Fri May 29, 2015 3:31 pm

Sorry but are you not aware that the last census proved that there has been a fall in the Welsh Language ?

Totally agree that learning a second language is hugely beneficial to a child but I would prefer then to learn a language which would be far more valuable to them in the future because far more people around the world speak them like Spanish, Chinese, etc

Fri May 29, 2015 3:51 pm

Military Junta wrote:Sorry but are you not aware that the last census proved that there has been a fall in the Welsh Language ?

Totally agree that learning a second language is hugely beneficial to a child but I would prefer then to learn a language which would be far more valuable to them in the future because far more people around the world speak them like Spanish, Chinese, etc

You are correct with the census figures, but that fall has happened in the western and northern 'heartlands'. You will also be aware I'm sure you know that areas like Canton now have 30% welsh speakers.
Can you imagine a Frenchman choosing to ignore his own native tongue? This is what you preach, let's ignore the language own country and embrace the language of our conquerers and that of any other colonial country. So sad!

Fri May 29, 2015 4:10 pm

BlueGog wrote:
Military Junta wrote:Sorry but are you not aware that the last census proved that there has been a fall in the Welsh Language ?

You are correct with the census figures, but that fall has happened in the western and northern 'heartlands'. You will also be aware I'm sure you know that areas like Canton now have 30% welsh speakers.
Can you imagine a Frenchman choosing to ignore his own native tongue? This is what you preach, let's ignore the language own country and embrace the language of our conquerers and that of any other colonial country. So sad!

I think in a way you are both right. The language gives us a separate identity and gives us something that is unique in the British Isles. It is also a very old language, and I think it's worth keeping alive. However, I suppose it doesn't serve much use outside of Wales, and probably French or Spanish would be more useful as a second language than Welsh. I think Welsh is still the first language for many people in Wales, and I have worked with someone who was more comfortable speaking and writing in Welsh than English.

Fri May 29, 2015 9:03 pm

If I'd travelled round the world just to hear welsh, i'd be more than mildly dissapointed.

Sat May 30, 2015 6:58 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:

this.

Sat May 30, 2015 10:04 am

A few responses

(1) Military Junta- Do they not do this type of thing in Westminster? Do you not remember the expenses scandal? Have you not seen the stories about AM’s giving their pay rises to local charities?

Westminster has failed Wales for a century, should we also scrap that? Where Westminster fails the people of Wales, should powers be transferred to the EU? It’s the same logic as taking powers away from the Assembly.

(2) Rumpo Kid- Health and education struggles in Wales, partly through underfunding, mostly because of shite Labour Government.

Too many people make statements that they cannot back up. I will post a few facts/links below so everyone can at least see objective facts:

Firstly, health- Please read the below link (It is an independent report into the running of each nation’s NHS. Here is the most salient quote:

“Despite hotly contested policy differences in structure, targets, competition, patient choice and the use of non-NHS providers, no one country is emerging as a consistent front-runner on health system performance” Andy McKeon, Senior Policy Fellow at the Nuffield Trust, 2014

http://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/media-c ... -across-uk

I do implore you to read it for yourself though!

I’m not burying my head in the sand, the Welsh NHS is struggling, but do you really think that having it controlled by the English will improve it? Where is Mid Staffs? Do the Northern Irish Government have a drugs cancer fund?

Secondly, in the 2011 referendum, the people of Wales democratically chose to give the Welsh Assembly full legislative powers. They did so by a 2:1 margin on a 35% turnout.

As seen by other recent referendums (Scotland, AV etc) it is much easier to stick with the status quo and secure a ‘No’ vote. In Wales, there wasn’t even a ‘No’ campaign. All momentum was with the ‘Yes’, it was a foregone conclusion. Despite this, 65% of Wales stayed at home. (This basically proves that nobody cares), giving consent to the ‘yes’ side.

I now ask you two a question: If you despise Welsh democracy and the Welsh language/ want to live under Westminster in English only; why not move? :digging2:

It genuinely baffles me

Sun May 31, 2015 6:51 pm

When confronted with facts, the silence is f*cking deafening. :oops:

Sun May 31, 2015 7:02 pm

tcblue wrote:A few responses

(1) Military Junta- Do they not do this type of thing in Westminster? Do you not remember the expenses scandal? Have you not seen the stories about AM’s giving their pay rises to local charities?

Westminster has failed Wales for a century, should we also scrap that? Where Westminster fails the people of Wales, should powers be transferred to the EU? It’s the same logic as taking powers away from the Assembly.

(2) Rumpo Kid- Health and education struggles in Wales, partly through underfunding, mostly because of shite Labour Government.

Too many people make statements that they cannot back up. I will post a few facts/links below so everyone can at least see objective facts:

Firstly, health- Please read the below link (It is an independent report into the running of each nation’s NHS. Here is the most salient quote:

“Despite hotly contested policy differences in structure, targets, competition, patient choice and the use of non-NHS providers, no one country is emerging as a consistent front-runner on health system performance” Andy McKeon, Senior Policy Fellow at the Nuffield Trust, 2014

http://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/media-c ... -across-uk

I do implore you to read it for yourself though!

I’m not burying my head in the sand, the Welsh NHS is struggling, but do you really think that having it controlled by the English will improve it? Where is Mid Staffs? Do the Northern Irish Government have a drugs cancer fund?

Secondly, in the 2011 referendum, the people of Wales democratically chose to give the Welsh Assembly full legislative powers. They did so by a 2:1 margin on a 35% turnout.

As seen by other recent referendums (Scotland, AV etc) it is much easier to stick with the status quo and secure a ‘No’ vote. In Wales, there wasn’t even a ‘No’ campaign. All momentum was with the ‘Yes’, it was a foregone conclusion. Despite this, 65% of Wales stayed at home. (This basically proves that nobody cares), giving consent to the ‘yes’ side.

I now ask you two a question: If you despise Welsh democracy and the Welsh language/ want to live under Westminster in English only; why not move? :digging2:

It genuinely baffles me

Sorry but you are wrong. With Westminister their constituency must be over two hours drive for them to qualify for a second home in London

Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:18 pm

I left twenty years ago & still speak fluent Welsh & brought my kids up in Welsh & we ain't from Patagonia.

It despairs me to see so many of my fellow countrymen so against there language & culture of Wales.

Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:45 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
BlueGog wrote:

I think in a way you are both right. The language gives us a separate identity and gives us something that is unique in the British Isles. It is also a very old language, and I think it's worth keeping alive. However, I suppose it doesn't serve much use outside of Wales, and probably French or Spanish would be more useful as a second language than Welsh. I think Welsh is still the first language for many people in Wales, and I have worked with someone who was more comfortable speaking and writing in Welsh than English.

its fallen according to a census that is only as accurate as what is put on form!! (is the right question asked) why is it that welsh is more and more popular in cardiff with waiting lists in all welsh nurseries and more and more welsh medium schools being opened accross wales!! a bit of a contradiction if believe sensus :thumbup:

Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:16 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
BlueGog wrote:

its fallen according to a census that is only as accurate as what is put on form!! (is the right question asked) why is it that welsh is more and more popular in cardiff with waiting lists in all welsh nurseries and more and more welsh medium schools being opened accross wales!! a bit of a contradiction if believe sensus :thumbup:

I agree, you probably don't get an accurate number but it's some measure. The numbers have increased greatly in Cardiff, Gwent and the valleys. The drop has been in the traditional Welsh speaking areas. Carmarthen and Ceredigion now both below 50%.
It's possible that the numbers haven't dropped but the percentage has due to people moving in to these areas from England. Remember that now, almost 25% of the Welsh population was born outside Wales. Thats not true of Cardiff, Gwent and the Valleys but it probably is of most areas west and north.

Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:19 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
BlueGog wrote:

Or is it just that a certain section of the population see Welsh speaking as an increasingly important qualification for the job market under WAG?

Seems to be a prerequisite (or 'desirable' at least) for most 'public' jobs nowadays, even where it isn't a particularly necessary skill to have to do the job!

It also beggars the question, "How do people not born in Wales apply for these jobs, if the criteria is pretty unachievable for them?"

A bit of a minefield, TBH