" FAREWELL TO A CARDIFF CITY PLAYER RELEASED TODAY "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Tue May 05, 2015 4:32 pm

Farewell Super Kev and thanks for the memories... We remember one of Cardiff City's ultimate servants

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foot ... es-9186839 :thumbright:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=158029 :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tuesday 5 May 2015

By Terry Phillips

Link/Photos http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foot ... es-9186839? :thumbright:

Bluebirds fans have sung his name for nine years, and while Kevin McNaughton may be leaving the club he will not be forgotten.

The Scottish defender was loved by the Cardiff City faithful and a good few of them may well be humming the ‘Super Kev McNaughton’ theme tune in their heads as they contemplate his final departure after being shown the door by Russell Slade.

Of course, McNaughton has been on loan at Bolton this season and so has subsequently been out of sight. It will take longer than one season for him to disappear from the minds of those supporters from south Wales who have watched him for nigh on a decade.

He won a place in the hearts of City fans from the start.

Fans of all clubs value intensity and commitment from players, but those who follow Cardiff have always loved a scrapper, a terrier, a fighter. McNaughton was all those, in fact he fell into that priceless bracket of being a player who almost never had a poor game.

Win, lose or draw, McNaughton was so often the player talked about after games as having stood out for all the right reasons.

:ayatollah: " A tribute to Super Kevin McNaughton " :ayatollah:

Like Graham Kavanagh before him, McNaughton sported unusually grey hair for a young man, earning the nickname Gramps among some of his team mates.

The irony was that he was among the fittest players Cardiff City have employed in modern times.

McNaughton’s energy and industry up and down the right or left flank so often gave City an outlet and his pace so often got them out of stick situations or provided an insurance policy when the opposition boasted a striker with some serious gas.

It was perhaps a bit of an injustice that when the Bluebirds eventually reached the top flight, McNaughton’s contribution was fleeting.

Here was a fellow who had always said his dream was to play Premier League football for Cardiff City.

Here was a fellow who did so much over so many years to make that happen.

But by the time it did, he was in the twilight of his time at the club and not really in a position to be at the fulcrum of on-pitch operations as he so often had been in the past.

And yet he did get his moment in the sun during City’s solitary season in the big time, appearing in some of the most glamorous matches of the campaign.

Huw Evans, CardiffKevin McNaughton, Peter Whittingham and Joe Ledley celebrate with Cardiff's Michael Chopra
McNaughton deserved that, and you could see what it meant to him at the time.

I recall the joy on his face when Cardiff made it to football’s Promised Land. It was a picture and it showed his passion and love for the club.

I was with McNaughton on the open top bus tour around the city when promotion and the Championship title had been secured. He adored every moment of what was an unforgettable time.

Former manager Malky Mackay once described McNaughton as ‘one of Cardiff’s heroes’.

It was an apt way to sum him up because McNaughton wasn’t just a terrific player, he was down to earth, never aloof, the sort of character who would always stop for a chat with supporters.

He was also, inevitably it seemed at times, the go-to player after a poor team performance for the media. Now matter how bad it had been for Cardiff, no matter how frustrating, he would always be willing to face the questions from journalists when others didn’t fancy it.

Kevin McNaughton Cardiff City record
Appearances

Goals

Only a week or so ago I sent a text to McNaughton asking if he was able to chat and he replied quickly, saying: “No worries. I’m free now.”

While it was fitting McNaughton did play in the Premier League for the club he loved, it was also fitting that his final appearance turned out to be a 1-0 win at Southampton that threatened, albeit briefly, to be a turning point in the quest for survival under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

But we doff our hats to McNaughton because of his longevity too, which is an increasingly rare commodity in the modern game.

His nine years might have been even longer as well, with Lennie Lawrence having made inquiries about McNaughton three years before he made the move from Aberdeen in 2006.

Aberdeen, though, wanted a £1m fee and Cardiff had to bide their time, eventually signing the versatile defender when he was out of contract.

Good business that, but with hindsight McNaughton would have been worth the money.

McNaughton will play on, there is no doubt about that – and so he should. Where? We’ll have to wait and see but whichever club gets his services will be onto a winner.

He leaves with the best wishes of everyone connected to Cardiff City Football Club – and fully deserving of the nickname bestowed on him by its fans, one that just about sums him up.

Super Kev on . . . . .
Playing for Cardiff in the 2008 FA Cup final
“Growing up I used to watch the final. I was savouring those memories as we prepared to play Portsmouth and walked out at Wembley Stadium.

“I had scored an own goal in our first tie of that season, against Chasetown away. Then I scored against Hereford in the next round.

“I had never been to Wembley before our semi-final against Barnsley. I remembered my first time playing at Parkhead in front of 60,000 and I was all over the place for the first five minutes then.

“That experienced helped me against Barnsley and then Portsmouth in the final.”

During his second season playing for Cardiff McNaughton played in all six matches in their run to the 2008 FA Cup final, including scoring his first goal for the club with a volley from 20 yards in a 2–1 victory over Hereford United.”

Being overwhelmed by the reaction of City fans when he ran out at Arsenal, saying: “It seems that couldn’t forget this grey haired old man. City fans have supported me throughout my time with the club.

“I will always be grateful to them.”

His tattoos
“When we got our son christened there was a big mural of The Last Supper in the church. I was originally going to get my son’s name tattooed on my arm, but opted for a representation of that instead.

I became hooked on it then and had another couple of Da Vinci style ones.”

Playing right-back or left-back
“I played a lot of my early football at Aberdeen and in my first season with Cardiff on the left. But I’m comfortable playing either side.

“I’ve always been able to adjust to different positions and it’s been that way since I was a teenager. I started my playing career as a centre-half.”

Ninian Park memories
“I loved the place. I preferred playing at Ninian Park because of the atmosphere. It was a special stadium and we had some great matches there.”

Playing under Dave Jones
“He brought me to Cardiff. I had a couple of options including playing in Norway or Holland plus a couple of England clubs. Cardiff are an ambitious club and I thought it would be great to have a crack at the Championship.

“The club pushed on under Jones and I played just about every match under him and that suited me fine.”

Under Malky Mackay
"There were no egos in the squad, fitness levels were high and we dug in for each other. This team has more team spirit than I’ve known before.”

Under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
“The new gaffer had us playing with freedom and confidence and we were all eager to succeed. He was a great character to come in.”

Being given the nod, ahead of John Brayford
He made his Premier League debut at Arsenal on New Year’s Day 2014.

He also played against Manchester City, Manchester United, Swansea and Southampton in the top flight: “My main goal when I first signed for Cardiff in 2006 was to play Premier League football for Cardiff City.

“I achieved that. It was brilliant to start at the Emirates and felt fantastic to be given a chance after it had looked as though I had one foot out of the door.”
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: " FAREWELL TO A CARDIFF CITY PLAYER RELEASED TODAY "

Postby worcester_ccfc » Tue May 05, 2015 4:40 pm

Great servant for the club, but he had to go.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby tylorstown18891 » Tue May 05, 2015 4:48 pm

Proper city legend good luck with the future super kev :bluescarf: :ayatollah:
tylorstown18891

Postby sloper_road_legend » Tue May 05, 2015 4:51 pm

Sad news.
sloper_road_legend

Postby bob dylan » Tue May 05, 2015 4:54 pm

Legend :notworthy: :ayatollah: :bluebird:
the times they are a changing -Neath Bluebirds
bob dylan

Postby 1922 » Tue May 05, 2015 4:56 pm

Oh Kev McNaighton you are the love of my life... :bluebird:

Postby mr'mogreenz » Tue May 05, 2015 4:58 pm

kevin-mcnaughton-cardiff-city-championship-promotion-celebration-football_2930877.jpg
kevin-mcnaughton-cardiff-city-championship-promotion-celebration-football_2930877.jpg (82.86 KiB) Viewed 4867 times
City legend
mr'mogreenz

Postby Bridgend_bluebird » Tue May 05, 2015 5:05 pm

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Win or lose I'll Be there with my ticket and a pint!
Bridgend_bluebird

Postby nubbsy » Tue May 05, 2015 5:06 pm

mr'mogreenz wrote:
kevin-mcnaughton-cardiff-city-championship-promotion-celebration-football_2930877.jpg
City legend

This is a quality pic
nubbsy

Postby ccfc_4_life » Tue May 05, 2015 5:09 pm

Gutted to see him go ccfc legend and he had the best song in football :lol: #iwantsilverhairto :bluescarf:
ccfc_4_life

Postby Pant_yr_awel bluebird » Tue May 05, 2015 5:15 pm

Testimonial anyone. :sladeout: :sladeout: :old:
Pant_yr_awel bluebird

Postby pezza4646 » Tue May 05, 2015 5:17 pm

Super super Kev, Super super Kev, Super super Kev Super Kevin Mcnaughton GOOD LUCK to the SiLVER FOX :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :thumbup: :thumbup:
pezza4646

Postby charlieduke » Tue May 05, 2015 5:28 pm

Where does it say that he is leaving ??
charlieduke

Postby charlieduke » Tue May 05, 2015 5:33 pm

Cancel the above. Saw the other post.
charlieduke

Postby Zabier » Tue May 05, 2015 6:11 pm

What an absolute legend! Going to bloody miss that guy. Hope he comes back and manages us or coaches with us some day.
Zabier

Postby GLASCOEDBLUE » Tue May 05, 2015 6:25 pm

Thank you super Kev, a true city legend :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
LIFE'S NEVER DULL FOLLOWING THE BLUEBIRDS
GLASCOEDBLUE

Postby Matt D » Tue May 05, 2015 7:11 pm

A cast in stone, dyed in the wool, blue blooded Cardiff City f*cking legend.

I think he'd fit our current squad perfectly - he's a battler and would be great for the cause. Not to be though, alas.

Glad he had his moment to shine in the Prem - he thoroughly deserved it after helping us get there.

Cheers Kev.

:ayatollah:
Matt D

Postby Mr Shed » Tue May 05, 2015 7:29 pm

My lad was 3 years old when we signed super kev, I told him that just now and tried to think who was our main right back before him. I then realised it was Rhys Weston!!!!
Amazing 9 years with super kev and loved seeing him back at arsenal on new years day.
:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:
:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah:
:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

*Insert Name here* BARMY ARMY!!!!!
Mr Shed

Postby GotMeSingingTheBlues » Tue May 05, 2015 7:44 pm

All the best Super Kev, gutted he's leaving, will always be a bluebird and a City legend in my book.

:bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluebird:
GotMeSingingTheBlues

Postby mugsy » Tue May 05, 2015 7:55 pm

Pant_yr_awel bluebird wrote:Testimonial anyone. :sladeout: :sladeout: :old:

Would be deserved - I would travel up from Taunton to see that. :bluescarf: :ayatollah:
mugsy

Postby VincentTanOut » Tue May 05, 2015 8:09 pm

mr'mogreenz wrote:
City legend

That's my screensaver
VincentTanOut

Postby Valley Lad » Tue May 05, 2015 8:34 pm

Not many like super Kev anymore, a huge fans favourite who always gave his all for the club, a true :bluebird:
Remember one of his goals in the cup, Chasetown I think?
Thank you & best wishes Super Kevin Mcnaughton! :bluescarf: :ayatollah:
Valley Lad

Postby welshcitydragon » Tue May 05, 2015 8:43 pm

You will always be remembered as one of our most loyalist players and a player that always give 100%. Good luck Kev :notworthy:
COFIWCH DRYWERYN FE GODWN NI ETO
NOTHING IN LIFE IS MORE CERTAIN, THAN LIFE IS COMPLETLY UNCERTAIN !
KEEP WALES CLEAN , DUMP YOUR SHIT IN eNGLAND
welshcitydragon

Postby LutonBluebird » Tue May 05, 2015 8:48 pm

So much love for him on Twitter tonight :bluebird: :bluebird:

Absolute Legend
WARNOCKS WARRIORS.
LutonBluebird

Postby balkanblue » Tue May 05, 2015 9:02 pm

VincentTanOut wrote:
mr'mogreenz wrote:
City legend

That's my screensaver

This is mine. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

balkanblue

Postby LutonBluebird » Tue May 05, 2015 9:08 pm

blueminati wrote:
VincentTanOut wrote:
mr'mogreenz wrote:
City legend

That's my screensaver

This is mine. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
WARNOCKS WARRIORS.
LutonBluebird

Postby TopCat CCFC » Tue May 05, 2015 10:23 pm

Good Luck to him :bluescarf:
TopCat CCFC

Postby McNaughtyButNice » Tue May 05, 2015 10:33 pm

City Legend and in his honour I will not be changing my user name! :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
McNaughtyButNice

Postby TopCat CCFC » Tue May 05, 2015 10:40 pm

Cardiff will allow their longest-serving player Kevin McNaughton to leave this summer along with Danny Gabbidon and Nicky Maynard.
All three players are out of contract at the end of the season and manager Russell Slade has deemed them surplus to requirements as he attempts to rebuild his squad for an assault on the Championship next season.
A statement on the Cardiff City website read: 'All of us at Cardiff City would like to express our sincere thanks and respect to Kevin for his immense contribution to our football club.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z3ZJ4Lqehp
TopCat CCFC

Postby Brianclark5 » Tue May 05, 2015 10:41 pm

Super Kevin,I wanted hair like him now I've got it.Will always be one of my top ten city players and number one at taking the Lino out.Where are players like super Kevin going to come from! Ps I don't blame you for not shagxxxx my wife, although the offer was there , !!
Brianclark5

Next

Return to General Chat