Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Kévin Théophile-Catherine? "

Mon May 04, 2015 6:06 pm

Saint Etienne will buy Kévin Théophile-Catherine from Cardiff City, paving way for Swansea City target to leave - reports

04-05-15

The French team - still an outside bet for Champions League qualification this season - are looking at a €2m deal for Théophile-Catherine

Saint Etienne have reportedly made turning Kévin Théophile-Catherine's loan from Cardiff City into a permanent transfer this summer a priority - meaning Swansea City could benefit.

The French team - still an outside bet for Champions League qualification this season - are looking at a €2m deal for Théophile-Catherine, who has made 35 appearances for them this season, according to reports in France.

To raise funds for his deal and other transfer activity, though, they are looking at offloading former Leicester and Leeds midfielder Max Gradel and long-time Swansea City left-back target Franck Tabanou, say L'Equipe.

The sport daily said: "In the fight for Champions League qualification next year, Saint Etienne should be very active in the transfer market.

"Reportedly, Ivorian Max-Alain Gradel and Franck Tabanou could leave. The French left-back is always followed by Swansea.

"Free in June, the Rennes midfielder Vincent Pajot and defender Ludovic Baal lensois could go to the Greens. The option to buy Kevin Theophile Catherine (owned by Cardiff) should be taken up."

Kevin Theophile Catherine
Boss Garry Monk was strongly linked with a move for former France Under-21 international Tabanou in January, with a fee of around £3m seen as enough for the player to make a move.

Tabanou's agent Philippe Lamboley said at the time: “The two clubs are in discussions, but I cannot confirm a bid has been made."

Recent reports said Monk maintained his interest with some even suggesting a move by the Swans was imminent.

The Swansea manager has long been after competition for Neil Taylor on the left side of his defence and that position as well as bolstering his options up front are two areas he is expected to target this summer.

Re: " Kévin Théophile-Catherine? "

Mon May 04, 2015 6:29 pm

Santa Ponsa Blue wrote:Saint Etienne will buy Kévin Théophile-Catherine from Cardiff City, paving way for Swansea City target to leave - reports

04-05-15

The French team - still an outside bet for Champions League qualification this season - are looking at a €2m deal for Théophile-Catherine

Saint Etienne have reportedly made turning Kévin Théophile-Catherine's loan from Cardiff City into a permanent transfer this summer a priority - meaning Swansea City could benefit.

The French team - still an outside bet for Champions League qualification this season - are looking at a €2m deal for Théophile-Catherine, who has made 35 appearances for them this season, according to reports in France.

To raise funds for his deal and other transfer activity, though, they are looking at offloading former Leicester and Leeds midfielder Max Gradel and long-time Swansea City left-back target Franck Tabanou, say L'Equipe.

The sport daily said: "In the fight for Champions League qualification next year, Saint Etienne should be very active in the transfer market.

"Reportedly, Ivorian Max-Alain Gradel and Franck Tabanou could leave. The French left-back is always followed by Swansea.

"Free in June, the Rennes midfielder Vincent Pajot and defender Ludovic Baal lensois could go to the Greens. The option to buy Kevin Theophile Catherine (owned by Cardiff) should be taken up."

Kevin Theophile Catherine
Boss Garry Monk was strongly linked with a move for former France Under-21 international Tabanou in January, with a fee of around £3m seen as enough for the player to make a move.

Tabanou's agent Philippe Lamboley said at the time: “The two clubs are in discussions, but I cannot confirm a bid has been made."

Recent reports said Monk maintained his interest with some even suggesting a move by the Swans was imminent.

The Swansea manager has long been after competition for Neil Taylor on the left side of his defence and that position as well as bolstering his options up front are two areas he is expected to target this summer.
hope the money will be reinvested on the team

Mon May 04, 2015 7:51 pm

They're only offering 2 million Euros? I would ask for double that, or at least ask for bonuses on top. He's worth more than 2 million Euros.

Tue May 05, 2015 8:11 am

I actually thought that that Theophile-Catherine might be better suited to Championship football and its physicality. I also think he's a better centre back than full back. Certainly worth more than 2 million euros, equivalent to less than £1.5m. I am guessing the club just want him off the books and are willing to accept a cut price.

I suppose at least we are getting something for him and not mutually agreeing to terminate his contract!

Tue May 05, 2015 9:14 am

Zabier wrote:I actually thought that that Theophile-Catherine might be better suited to Championship football and its physicality. I also think he's a better centre back than full back. Certainly worth more than 2 million euros, equivalent to less than £1.5m. I am guessing the club just want him off the books and are willing to accept a cut price.

I suppose at least we are getting something for him and not mutually agreeing to terminate his contract!

With you on this, he played a lot of games out there and SE are 5th in the league only conceding 28 goals which is the 2nd least conceded.

He played CB v Everton away in a formation which had a 5 at the back, we caused Everton a lot of problems despite some class saves from Marshall keeping us in the game.

Would like to see him back here and given a pre season with Slade.

Tue May 05, 2015 9:15 am

He would be one of the best defenders in this league.

Tue May 05, 2015 9:20 am

One bad clearance which yes it did cost us 3 points v Sunderland and a fair portion of supporters just slated him for anything, Every club has moronic and fickle supporters but we are up there with the worst.

Tue May 05, 2015 1:19 pm

2 mil is decent he won't be missed.