Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" CARDIFF CITY FANS HAVE THEIR SAY ON RUSSELL SLADE "

Mon May 04, 2015 6:03 pm

Cardiff City fans have their say on Russell Slade: Is it time for change or should the manager be given a chance?

04-05-15

" FOR & AGAINST RUSSELL SLADE "

Annis Abraham has a Cardiff City season ticket for a 44th consecutive year and will again be supporting the Bluebirds next campaign.
“Russell Slade has earned the right to be manager at the start of next season.

“City have finished 11th in the Championship and that’s a decent position when you consider everything that has gone on this season and the situation when he took over.

“Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a Slade fan, but he is far from Cardiff’s worst manager at this stage and the work he has done means he deserves to take out club into the next campaign.

“I want to see positive work in the transfer market over the summer and an improvement in terms of the football being played when the season starts. But he should remain as City manager.

“When he first took the job our club was a time bomb.

“I’m not sure he realised how big a job he faced at the time, but I’m more than happy with a mid-table finish.”

By Terry Phillips

The argument for change... :sladeout:

Cardiff man Lee Beames, who first watched the Bluebirds in 1970 and has renewed his season ticket.
“Slade must go now.

“There is no other way. If he is given 10 games at the start of next season and it goes wrong, then City will be faced with bringing in another manager and that will put our club back to square one.

“Slade is totally out of his depth at Championship level.

“He brought in players he didn’t need like Scott Malone and Alex Revell.

“Matty Kennedy and Conor McAleny came in from Everton, but McAleny scarcely played.

“City desperately needs central midfield players because Aron Gunnarsson and Peter Whittingham just haven’t done it this season.

“City have journeymen up front. Eoin Doyle is okay and has good movement, but, at the age of 27, he’s no youngster.

“Cardiff need a manager with Championship experience.

“I think Vincent Tan will stick with Slade, but in my view he should be replaced.”

Ian Allaway, from Caerphilly, says he hadn’t missed a game, unless in exceptional circumstances, for more than a decade.
“It’s been disappointing and this is one of the rare seasons I’m not upset it’s coming to an end.

“It’s like being at work and wanting Friday to come round.

“I am just hoping something positive happens over the summer in terms of a new manager or new players who can help our club go forward.

“If little changes, Cardiff will be hovering around a mid-table position again and we need to be back in top half and at least challenging for the play-offs.

“I feel sorry for Slade in some ways, but if we are going to push on we need a change at the top.

“I want to see somebody different in charge. :sladeout:

“I don’t know who that should be, but, personally, I would choose a different manager.”

Kelvin Keane, from Merthyr Tydfil, first watched Cardiff City in 1963 and he watched every fixture, home and away, through 2014-15.
“I don’t think Russell Slade is the right man. :sladeout:

“Some of the team performances have been shocking.

“He’s a nice guy, but is he the right guy? I get a feeling he’s too nice.

“There are times when managers have to be a nasty person and I question whether he can be nasty enough when it’s needed.

“This is a transitional period for the club and there is no doubt we’ve had worse seasons than this.

“City have had to get rid of high-earners when it became apparent they would miss out on promotion.

“Fans will find reasons to knock Slade.

“A lot depends on whether Vincent Tan invests during the summer.

“If he does, we could make the play-offs because a lot of the players already here are good enough.

“If Slade has the chance to add to the squad and keep those who should stay that would be a positive, but I would have to question whether he is the right man.”

The case for Slade to stay :sladein:

Cardiff man Vince Alm, from Cardiff City Supporters Club, has been supporting the Bluebirds since 1968 and has missed only one match this season. That was the trip to Leeds United when fans boycotted the fixture at Elland Road.
“Whether he is the right man for the job I’m not sure, but he should be given the chance to lead Cardiff into next season given the results since January. The style of football has improved. :sladein:

“There is hope, there is ambition within the club. Owner Vincent Tan still wants Cardiff City to be back in the Premier League and if that doesn’t work out next season I’m sure he will make the necessary changes to ensure his investment works.

“I don’t think Ole Gunnar Solskjaer left us with a good squad for our Championship season.

“People can blame Vincent Tan or Russell Slade, but I think poor acquisitions by Solskjaer over the summer caused problems.

“Players came in who were not really equipped for the rigours of Championship football.

“They were quality players, but not workers who could produce over three games a week. Cardiff have not had enough of those.

“It’s too early to tell on Slade, but the situation has improved since January when he was able to bring in his own players.

“Results have been better and there have been games where the football has improved.

“City are still inconsistent as a team, but that often happens at this stage of a season.

“Our club is finding it’s feet again.”

Gwylim Rees, from Cardiff, first watched the Bluebirds almost 50 years ago. He has attended every home game this season and travelled to watch two-thirds of away fixtures.
“Russell Slade deserves the chance to take City into the new season. :sladein:

“He came in, had to cut the wages and try to improve the team at the same time. At times the football has been shocking, but he’s doing a bit better than we were under Solskjaer.

“That’s not to say I’m a happy fan, but I think that bearing in mind what he has had to work on he has done an okay job.

Cardiff are mid-table. Where would they have been with Solskjaer in charge?

“If the club were to sack Slade now who would they get in? The club would have to go through a whole new rebuilding process.

“My view is let him start next season, but things have to improve immediately.

“I spoke to Slade when he first became manager and he was appalled that fitness levels were low. He has improved fitness levels already and I understand he is bringing the players back a week earlier than usual for pre-season training.

“If he has identified the problems and can do something about them it’s reasonable to assume we can move forward.

“Give him a chance. If we start badly he wouldn’t be here for long.”

Re: " CARDIFF CITY FANS HAVE THEIR SAY ON RUSSELL SLADE "

Mon May 04, 2015 6:49 pm

I was on the coach with Terry Phillips. Great bloke. :thumbup:

Re: " CARDIFF CITY FANS HAVE THEIR SAY ON RUSSELL SLADE "

Mon May 04, 2015 7:21 pm

May be Vincent tan should of travelled with the fans and had real advise given to HIM from them - Slade in fairness as been in lower leagues for may years and not won one promotion has been given the ultimate opportunity to prove himself in the championship and IMO has had plenty of time but has failed to shine todate - Wait till next season and give him a chance and settle to stay in the championship or lower when it don't work out ??? bring in new face and be in the same predicament ????? or go all out proven track Manager that with medium size budget can produce exciting football and finish in the top 6 or above in the championship !!!!!!!

ONLY TIME WILL TELL !

:sladeout: :digging2: :sladein: :bluescarf: :bluebird: