" Disappointed, Frustrated and Exasperated. "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby castleblue » Mon May 04, 2015 3:42 pm

That’s the best way I can describe how I will remember the 2014/15 season in years to come.

Disappointed because at the start of the season few if any of us would have believed that we would struggle to make any real impact on the Championship, that despite having one of the largest and most expensive squads in the division, but one thing we have come to understand over the last few seasons is spending money means nothing if you spend it unwisely, and in my opinion that’s exactly what we did last summer.

We will never know if OGS would have achieved more that we ultimately managed, but one thing we do know is that he wanted each and every player in the squad he had assembled, however he decided not to hang around once VT decided that the squad had to be dramatically cut only a few weeks after spending £m’s on 2 new players (Manga & Morrison) late in the summer transfer window.

Despite nearly £30m being received in transfer fees, £23m on it’s way in the form of PL parachute payments and over 16,000 season tickets holders VT decided the time was right to introduce austerity at the Cardiff City Stadium.

In my opinion that decision derailed our season and with VT deciding to appoint “His Own Man” to replace OGS few would have been surprised that he chose a man with zero experience at Championship level. But it appears the only qualification required for the role of manager at Cardiff City was the ability to say “Yes Vincent”.

On his appointment RS said that our squad was “To Big” and immediately set about cutting the squad in half by isolating approaching 20 players, cutting them adrift and making them train with the academy players. Was this his decision or was he following orders? Whatever the answer to that question I believe it had a massively negative affect on the squad and that resulted in us taking only 5 of the 27 points on offer through December and January. That period ended any hope of a promotion push.

In his first 18 games in charge we lost 9 of those games but at the end of that period a decision was taken by someone to send Le Fondre on loan to Bolton, a player who had played almost every minute since RS took over. To this day I cannot understand why that happened but I have no doubt that RS was instructed to offload him and he replied “Yes Vincent”.

As strange as that decision was it was later on to be completely overshadowed by the “Business” decisions to send our top goalscorer and one of our most experienced defenders out on loan. RS said shortly after his appointment that VT has said to him that he was “Looking for value for money from transfer dealings”. So despite £23m in PL parachute payments the new era of austerity meant that money was more important than maintaining the playing squad, UNBELIEVEABLE.

Well I think VT has received a clear message from the fanbase about the quality of his “Business decisions” and his “Value for Money” transfer policy with the loss of approx 12,000 season ticket holders.

At the end of January we were in real danger of being dragged into a relegation battle but thankfully in February the club appointed a Head Coach with the experience and pedigree so lacking in RS. When I say experience I mean of coaching players at PL and Championship level and I have no doubt that Paul Trollope made a huge contribution to changing the course of our season, indeed in our final 18 games of the season we only lost 4 games, winning 7 and giving us our best run of results of the season.

We had become difficult to beat and that was what was badly needed but the football on offer was boring, uninspiring and plain insipid. It needed to be done to maintain our Championship status but it did little to lift spirits and the feelings of disappointment, frustration and exasperation just, in my case, intensified and I don’t believe I’m alone in feeling that way.

After the season ended on Saturday it confirmed we were a “Top Half” team and as the League table shows exactly where we deserved to be and ALL the statistical evidence supports that. But the season is now over and we can look forward to a summer break from the mediocrity that has been on offer from the team during the last season.

There were positives during the season, returning to “Blue” being the biggest, but we also had a decent end to the season and surely last Saturday was our best “Team” performance of the season and offers hope of better things to come next season.

I have no doubt that 10 or more of our better players will leave during the summer to be replaced by “Everyday Special Value” players selected by RS to meet the demands of VT

But when Season Tickets went on sale I got mine straight away because despite the disappointing season I have seen far worse and by August hope will spring eternal within in me that next season will be better and that’s the problem we get sucked into and as fans we don’t like disappointments.

I’m not sure who said “Disappointment is a sort of bankruptcy – the bankruptcy of the soul that expends too much in hope and expectations. So for the other 4,000 hardy souls who have purchased a season ticket for next season my advice would be to have the following strategy – Why expect anything, if you don't expect anything, you don’t get disappointed.

I just wish I had used that strategy this season.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

:sladeout: :sladeout: :sladeout:
castleblue

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: " Disappointed, Frustrated and Exasperated. "

Postby James the bluebird boy » Mon May 04, 2015 3:54 pm

Agree with parts of this post but I still struggle to see how people can just put improved results down to Troloppe. He certainly helped but people will do anything to not give credit to Slade. :bluescarf: :sladein:
James the bluebird boy

Postby Forever Blue » Mon May 04, 2015 3:57 pm

Gary, As usual one of the most honest posts,with facts included :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

You were always one of the most positive posters on here,Slades football seems to have really changed your feelings.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby castleblue » Mon May 04, 2015 4:10 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Gary, As usual one of the most honest posts,with facts included :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

You were always one of the most positive posters on here,Slades football seems to have really changed your feelings.

Annis I have absolutely no time for Russell Slade whatsoever because, in my opinion, he has failed at almost every level to have a positive effect on the team. The only thing that he has achieved is doing VT bidding by forcing through the cuts in the playing squad.

In November he talked about getting into the playoff positions by Christmas, he failed, then through January and February he still maintained that a playoff position was still possible, he failed to get us there. Then finally he claimed we would finish in the top 10, he failed. In fact he failed to galvanise a squad of talented players into achieving their potential in short he FAILED.

The sooner he goes the better but we both know turkeys don't vote for Christmas and this turkey will continue to say " Yes Vincent" to whatever VT wants.

And that's his biggest failure of ALL.

castleblue

Postby Forever Blue » Mon May 04, 2015 4:15 pm

castleblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Gary, As usual one of the most honest posts,with facts included :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Annis I have absolutely no time for Russell Slade whatsoever because, in my opinion, he has failed at almost every level to have a positive effect on the team. The only thing that he has achieved is doing VT bidding by forcing through the cuts in the playing squad.

In November he talked about getting into the playoff positions by Christmas, he failed, then through January and February he still maintained that a playoff position was still possible, he failed to get us there. Then finally he claimed we would finish in the top 10, he failed. In fact he failed to galvanise a squad of talented players into achieving their potential in short he FAILED.

The sooner he goes the better but we both know turkeys don't vote for Christmas and this turkey will continue to say " Yes Vincent" to whatever VT wants.

Your spot on as usual Gary :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Also why I have no faith in him is because after 700 League games as being a manager he has never won promotion.
If he was any good he would of managed at our level by now.
99% of his games are dire and negative.
Most of what he spouts has been utter crap.
And as you say Slade is mostly here to do Tans dirty work.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby ThomasC » Mon May 04, 2015 4:29 pm

Quality post, summed up this season how I seen it :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

You are right about supporting the team and not having expectations. That is how I started as a teenager and they were the best of times
ThomasC

Postby Sneggyblubird » Mon May 04, 2015 5:09 pm

I prefer to listen to Ben Turner,at least he knows what he's on about and doesn't make it up.If he says Slade is good enough then theres no-one on here qualified to say different.
Sneggyblubird

Postby ThomasC » Mon May 04, 2015 5:20 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:I prefer to listen to Ben Turner,at least he knows what he's on about and doesn't make it up.If he says Slade is good enough then theres no-one on here qualified to say different.

Ben Turner never paid a £30 admission fee to watch that garbage being served up did he?
ThomasC

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Mon May 04, 2015 5:23 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:I prefer to listen to Ben Turner,at least he knows what he's on about and doesn't make it up.If he says Slade is good enough then theres no-one on here qualified to say different.

So, if asked what is Turner going to say? That he thinks Slade hasn't got a clue & he'll never get us promotion?
Of course he's going to say positive things about his manager whilst employed & working under him. Doesn't mean he really believes it.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby castleblue » Mon May 04, 2015 5:25 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

So, if asked what is Turner going to say? That he thinks Slade hasn't got a clue & he'll never get us promotion?
Of course he's going to say positive things about his manager whilst employed & working under him. Doesn't mean he really believes it.

Exactly as I see it. Like Ben all the same and hope he is captain next season.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
castleblue

Postby Steve Zodiak » Mon May 04, 2015 5:27 pm

Pretty naïve to think he'd say anything else. I would praise my boss in public whatever I thought of him, unless I wanted to be looking for a new job.
Steve Zodiak

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Mon May 04, 2015 5:27 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
castleblue wrote:

Also why I have no faith in him is because after 700 League games as being a manager he has never won promotion.

Spot on & I pretty much agree with these two posts.
But as we know we're stuck with him for the foreseeable future so we have just have to get on with it, support the team next season & hope for the best!
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby pembroke allan » Mon May 04, 2015 5:37 pm

Funny how people on here slag slade off for speaking about things that you would expect him to say? or does he say i am crap we wont get promotion instead of being positive? double standards seem to apply as far as slade is concerned! :old:
pembroke allan

Postby castleblue » Mon May 04, 2015 5:39 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
castleblue wrote:

Spot on & I pretty much agree with these two posts.
But as we know we're stuck with him for the foreseeable future so we have just have to get on with it, support the team next season & hope for the best!

That's how I see it expect nothing and anything else is a bonus. Do what we do best and support the team as fans that's our job.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

castleblue

Postby carlccfc » Mon May 04, 2015 6:50 pm

As far as quality of posts on here goes, Gary I always enjoy reading yours.

You are incredibly educated on the history of Cardiff City FC, you are the man with the stats and have regularly helped me out for my writings.

Keep up the good work Gary :thumbup:
NEATH BLUES

My Daughter was the first ever mascot at Cardiff City Stadium --->
carlccfc

Postby llan bluebird » Mon May 04, 2015 7:24 pm

The problem is our hands are tied.

They were tied during the rebrand - take it or leave it, we'll replace you with a newbie.

Now the less devout can leave it, giving their big leaving speech.

The devout are still voiceless, disappointed,frustrated and exasperated- They won't leave !
llan bluebird

Postby Forever Blue » Mon May 04, 2015 7:53 pm

ThomasC wrote:

Ben Turner never paid a £30 admission fee to watch that garbage being served up did he?

Correct he never Thomas and this is a fans forum and our opinions. :thumbright: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

To be fair Gary as a fan knows his football and facts and I respect his posts :thumbright:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Brianclark5 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:30 pm

I have paid for my season ticket next season, I think that gives me the right to voice my opinion and it is just that,my opinion :sladeout: :sladeout: :sladeout:
Brianclark5

Postby Ninian Knight » Tue May 05, 2015 12:49 pm

A very good opening post I have sympathy with great parts of it.

However, stats usually only tell part of the story and the stats chosen reflect the agenda of the author, in this case an anti-Russell Slade post.

If we were to look at alternative stats we could point to the need for the club to conform to Financial Fair Play rules hence the £12m cost cutting exercise. What appear to be bazaar player loans to other Championship teams have netted the club valuable income in loan fees/wage savings. I don’t know how much exactly but the Kenwyne Jones loan earned CCFC around £700,000 so when you add in the other loans in it must be upwards of a £1m.

We all look at things differently but from my perspective I call that dam good business, especially when you factor in the fines/transfer embargos this club could have faced for breaching FFP.

Slade was appointed as a Red Adair with a specific job to put out the fire well left behind from the rebrand/premier league relegation/OGS. I agree the style of football is awful and he (Slade) over promised and under-delivered with regard to our possible promotion back to the PL.

However, I have great sympathy for him and all things considered I think he has done well to cut the budget and get belated results, especially away from home, which allowed us to finish in 11th position.
Ninian Knight

Postby worcester_ccfc » Wed May 06, 2015 2:19 am

Outstanding post :thumbright:

Finding it difficult to disagree with any of the content.

I'm another who has renewed.

We will all go into August with hope and expectation but will that expectation be proven right? I doubt it.

I can see a similar repeat of this season. Slade stays until mid-season, then another yes man comes in and we fight for a top half finish - and that's being optimistic I believe.

Like I say though, great post and I really enjoyed reading that :thumbright:
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby Forever Blue » Wed May 06, 2015 1:09 pm

Forever Blue
Admin

Return to General Chat