Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Parachute payments used to pay off players?

Mon May 04, 2015 12:00 pm

Anyone think this has been done? There has been much talk about where the parachute payments have gone with many saying Tan has pocketed it. This is of course something Tan has not done throughout his tenure so is not based on history at all.

Tan is trying to make us self sufficient. An excellent idea everyone must surely agree.

If they have been used for this I welcome it. Short term the money has gone but long term it saves us a lot of money. Hopefully he gets shot of a few more high earners.

Re: Parachute payments used to pay off players?

Mon May 04, 2015 1:27 pm

maccydee wrote:Anyone think this has been done? There has been much talk about where the parachute payments have gone with many saying Tan has pocketed it. This is of course something Tan has not done throughout his tenure so is not based on history at all.

Tan is trying to make us self sufficient. An excellent idea everyone must surely agree.

If they have been used for this I welcome it. Short term the money has gone but long term it saves us a lot of money. Hopefully he gets shot of a few more high earners.

Agree with this and any fees we get in will also be used to pay off unwanted players

Mon May 04, 2015 2:41 pm

No idea on most of the deals, but I think you might be surprised with a few.
Cala for instance claimed he had to pay the club to allow him to leave.

Mon May 04, 2015 2:43 pm

Lawnmower wrote:No idea on most of the deals, but I think you might be surprised with a few.

Wonder if he means pay back bonus or take hit on wages?

Mon May 04, 2015 3:08 pm

maccydee wrote:
Lawnmower wrote:No idea on most of the deals, but I think you might be surprised with a few.

Wonder if he means pay back bonus or take hit on wages?

No idea, but the wage bill was far too high with or without these alleged pay offs.
Berg stalker and Cala won't have got much as they both wanted to leave to play.
Delhi netted us a few, so that one was OK.
Most of the others I can think of were loans and will still need sorting.
And a huge amount of work still to do.

Mon May 04, 2015 3:11 pm

People on here always assume that we have to pay up a contract but a mutual agreement doesn't always mean that ,a player gets a signing on fee if out of contract with his new club

Mon May 04, 2015 3:17 pm

wez1927 wrote:

People on here always assume that we have to pay up a contract but a mutual agreement doesn't always mean that ,a player gets a signing on fee if out of contract with his new club

I love it when people say we could have got fees for players so why let them go for free? I don't think we could even let Velikonja go for free to another club.

Mon May 04, 2015 3:28 pm

Parachute payments are to help the club with a drop in income when getting relegated. So could be used towards any of the clubs expenses.

These of course will include any pay offs given to players leaving and if the club has repaid any of the loan made by Tan, then yes he would have received some it.

Mon May 04, 2015 3:30 pm

maccydee wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

I love it when people say we could have got fees for players so why let them go for free? I don't think we could even let Velikonja go for free to another club.

Spot on, the only player tht had a real sell on value was Matts due to the age and hype. All the others we were lucky to get off the books.
Velikonja is here for the duration unless the club and his advisors come to some sort of deal. Getting a fee and finishing up his contract would be highly improbable. I guess we will have to pay up half his remaining contact for him to agree to rip it up. He'll be free (and rich) to go back to Slovakia and play.

Tue May 05, 2015 9:22 am

maccydee wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Bergstaller - Austrian international
Kim - Korean international and part of promotion winning team
Daehli- Norwegian international and lots of hype/potential

Just three examples of players we could have easily got fees for if our joke of a club had any sort of business plan coming into the season I.e not over buying and then panic selling

Let's be honest these players being released were down to a sheer lack of competency not because they were worthless

Tue May 05, 2015 9:45 am

nubbsy wrote:
maccydee wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Just three examples of players we could have easily got fees for if our joke of a club had any sort of business plan coming into the season I.e not over buying and then panic selling

but question is could we sell them? or would it have taken until summer to do so but then thats not garaunteed! be interesting to see if club gained by letting them go early so saving wages against possible fee if sold them? in reality could have been good buisness sense

Tue May 05, 2015 9:57 am

nubbsy wrote:
maccydee wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Let's be honest these players being released were down to a sheer lack of competency not because they were worthless

Good shout that one. Got a fee for Daelhi so didn't bother reading the rest. However the wages we were paying for Kim and Bergstaller would have made it difficult for us to get fees for them.

Tue May 05, 2015 8:28 pm

maccydee wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
maccydee wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Good shout that one. Got a fee for Daelhi so didn't bother reading the rest. However the wages we were paying for Kim and Bergstaller would have made it difficult for us to get fees for them.

What wages did we pay Kim and Burgstaller? Or any other player for that matter. Would love a link or reference to theses daily wage claims!

Tue May 05, 2015 8:48 pm

Scandinavianbluebird wrote:
maccydee wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
maccydee wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

What wages did we pay Kim and Burgstaller? Or any other player for that matter. Would love a link or reference to theses daily wage claims!

Kim was 20k a week apparently and Burgstaller 15k as was a free transfer.

Tue May 05, 2015 9:15 pm

I don't understand the ins and outs of the financial fair play but it seems to make sense to pay people off now while we can.

Tue May 05, 2015 9:26 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
maccydee wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

but question is could we sell them? or would it have taken until summer to do so but then thats not garaunteed! be interesting to see if club gained by letting them go early so saving wages against possible fee if sold them? in reality could have been good buisness sense

They have bought too many players on wages too high and then realised they can't afford them, I can't see any good business in that allan.

Ok they cut them off before they cost us even more than they already needless have, that's just trying to recoup on your errors you can't call it good business it's the exact opposite

Tue May 05, 2015 9:53 pm

nubbsy wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
maccydee wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

They have bought too many players on wages too high and then realised they can't afford them, I can't see any good business in that allan.

Ok they cut them off before they cost us even more than they already needless have, that's just trying to recoup on your errors you can't call it good business it's the exact opposite

No way is it good business but after Cornelius costing us 8 million to ship out Tan probably thinks what the f**k. I think it shows he's in it for the long haul as he is helping the long term future with cutting the wage bill.

Wed May 06, 2015 2:36 pm

maccydee wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
maccydee wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

No way is it good business but after Cornelius costing us 8 million to ship out Tan probably thinks what the f**k. I think it shows he's in it for the long haul as he is helping the long term future with cutting the wage bill.

This panic selling happened well after Cornelius, we still spent a fortune in the summer it happened conveniently around the time of the rebrand reversal. But it was because of financial fair play apparently that they clearly wernt aware of 6 months prior... Doesn't add up

Wed May 06, 2015 5:26 pm

nubbsy wrote:
maccydee wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
maccydee wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

This panic selling happened well after Cornelius, we still spent a fortune in the summer it happened conveniently around the time of the rebrand reversal. But it was because of financial fair play apparently that they clearly wernt aware of 6 months prior... Doesn't add up

Started before rebrand reversal however as he has reversed the rebrand there's no reason why Tan should keep any part of the deal he made with regards investment.

Wed May 06, 2015 5:34 pm

maccydee wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
maccydee wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
maccydee wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Started before rebrand reversal however as he has reversed the rebrand there's no reason why Tan should keep any part of the deal he made with regards investment.

Yeah which is fair enough, I'm happy were cost cutting just not so happy how we've gone about things. Hopefully we can just see a small tight knit squad of players that play for the shirt going into next year and kick on.

Wed May 06, 2015 8:38 pm

How else would we instigated cost cutting from the position we were in?

Thu May 07, 2015 9:20 am

maccydee wrote:How else would we instigated cost cutting from the position we were in?

Your not getting what I'm saying, it's getting in the position in the first place I'm pissed off about. Like talking to a peice of pork

Thu May 07, 2015 10:07 am

nubbsy wrote:
maccydee wrote:How else would we instigated cost cutting from the position we were in?

Your not getting what I'm saying, it's getting in the position in the first place I'm pissed off about. Like talking to a peice of pork

Well Tan not alone in the blame. Malky, Riddler even Sam are to blame also.

Thu May 07, 2015 12:12 pm

maccydee wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

Managers don't sign checks or manage accounts. Malky asked for players and the board said yes, if they were too expensive then the cheif executive should have stopped it.

Thu May 07, 2015 4:18 pm

nubbsy wrote:
maccydee wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

Managers don't sign checks or manage accounts. Malky asked for players and the board said yes, if they were too expensive then the cheif executive should have stopped it.

Moody sorted out contracts in his role. Tan has said that hasn't in the past?