Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Kevin McNaughton speaks out about his future "

Mon May 04, 2015 8:44 am

Kevin McNaughton is unsure where he will be playing his football next season, after branding his campaign at Bolton as a 'nightmare'.

04-05-15

After a successful spell on loan at Bolton in 2013/14, McNaughton returned to the club on a season-long deal from Cardiff City last July but was restricted to just nine appearances due to a combination of poor form and injury, which prompted criticism from Wanderers boss Neil Lennon.

The 32-year-old missed the last two months of the campaign with a broken leg and with his Bluebirds contract set to expire later in the summer, McNaughton admits playing regular first-team football is his main priority when making his next move.

"I have some great memories of my time with Cardiff City and love the rapport I have had with the fans," McNaughton told Wales Online.

"I am open-minded about next season, but it's important I play regularly.

"It's been a bit of a nightmare season for me, finishing with a broken leg. It's nobody's fault, but things didn't work out for me.

"I suffered a fractured fibula at the beginning of March, but my recovery is going really well.

"I'll be working on my fitness over the summer and will be ready to go, wherever I am, when pre-season starts.

"I badly want to keep playing, though, and I'll see what comes up.

"It was a kick, not a massive challenge.

"My weight was on that leg and I knew something wasn't right, but at that stage I didn't think it was serious.

"The x-rays showed a fracture and I had an operation pretty quickly. That was six or seven weeks ago now and I am well on the mend.

"Cardiff's medical department will check me over when I go to see the manager and then I will be able to start looking to the future."

Re: " Kevin McNaughton speaks out about his future "

Mon May 04, 2015 9:00 am

Mason,I would give him a chance as a squad player for one last season in the Championship :thumbright:

Mon May 04, 2015 9:09 am

City have to give him a 12 month contract, he can play left back right back, and even center half, will always give 100%, still great at defending, not so good going forward, but that's what the wingers and midfield are for.
See the difference between him and Lefondre, when Lefondre signed for us his family stayed up north, Mcnaughton took his family up to Bolton with him, we would not be let down giving him that 12 months :thumbup:

Mon May 04, 2015 9:11 am

Igovernor wrote:City have to give him a 12 month contract, he can play left back right back, and even center half, will always give 100%, still great at defending, not so good going forward, but that's what the wingers and midfield are for.
See the difference between him and Lefondre, when Lefondre signed for us his family stayed up north, Mcnaughton took his family up to Bolton with him, we would not be let down giving him that 12 months :thumbup:

:thumbright: :thumbright:

Mon May 04, 2015 9:19 am

Tell the Bournemouth fullbacks that going forward is for wingers and midfielders!

Mon May 04, 2015 9:19 am

I think he a defend first full back that slade would like.

Make him club Captain......We need someone who we identify with

Mon May 04, 2015 9:21 am

Forever Blue wrote:Mason,I would give him a chance as a squad player for one last season in the Championship :thumbright:

Super Kev should be given a final year playing then he should be part of Cardiff City's back room staff! He has been brilliant for us since the day he arrived and has a great attitude! What a difference between him and some of the players we now have!!

Mon May 04, 2015 11:27 am

Lanwood wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Mason,I would give him a chance as a squad player for one last season in the Championship :thumbright:

Super Kev should be given a final year playing then he should be part of Cardiff City's back room staff! He has been brilliant for us since the day he arrived and has a great attitude! What a difference between him and some of the players we now have!!

Definitely. Also get him doing his badges so he can work at the club when retires. If he puts the same attitude into coaching as on the pitch he will make one hell of a coach. Start him with the kids and see how he goes.

Mon May 04, 2015 11:44 am

Keep him and as others have said, get him doing his coaching badges and start him off in the academy or somewhere like that.

I'd like to see McNaughton and Bellamy take over the academy. Both players attitudes to work hard will surely rub off and give the players a chance of progressing to the first team

Mon May 04, 2015 12:21 pm

Totally agree, give him an extension. He would be superb back up to have in the squad. I'm sure he'd accept a contract within the new wage structure. As the departure of Hudson showed, if you lack leaders in the dressing room then you're screwed.

Mon May 04, 2015 12:54 pm

Igovernor wrote:City have to give him a 12 month contract, he can play left back right back, and even center half, will always give 100%, still great at defending, not so good going forward, but that's what the wingers and midfield are for.

I think Kev is great at going forward, it's just his final ball that's always been his problem. Having said that I would love him to be given a new contract, his attitude and work-rate is faultless. Apparently he is also a great personality in the squad. The question is whether he would be able to get regular games with us, as he says there, at this stage of his career he wants to be playing.

Mon May 04, 2015 1:26 pm

Get rid and give a chance to Barnum-Bobb or Thomas James

Mon May 04, 2015 3:11 pm

Never understood why Le Fondre's family being up north became a problem when we signed him. Didn't seem to be a problem when he was at Reading all those years.

Mon May 04, 2015 3:19 pm

Actually Lefondres family were living with him in Reading, and when he moved to Cardiff I think they either stayed there or moved back up North, to be with his wife's Family, either way they were not down in cardiff :thumbup: