Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Ben Turners views “That is the time to judge him and I hope

Mon May 04, 2015 6:46 am

I make no secret that I like Turner.
Whole hearted player who never hides.
This is a very interesting piece and
I pretty much agree with his sentiments completely

Cardiff City promotion under Russell Slade 'is do-able' insists Ben Turner as he backs under-fire manager

“That is the time to judge him and I hope everybody gets behind him.”

Monday 4th May 2015

By Terry Phillips

Big Ben accepts Cardiff have not been good enough, but maintains Slade has given a platform for next season

Ben Turner has spoken passionately in defence of under-fire Cardiff City manager Russell Slade, insisting: “He has given us a platform for next season.”

The big centre-back accepts the Bluebirds have not been good enough this season, but claims Slade is still the man to guide the team to promotion in 2015-16.

Slade saw his side round off a campaign of woe with a 2-1 win at Nottingham Forest, Turner returning to Championship action for the first time in over three months to help the team win.

Many fans have openly stated they want to see the back of Slade and a new manager brought in by Vincent Tan.

But Turner said of Slade: “First and foremost he is a highly professional guy, an extremely good manager. He deserved his chance to manage in our division more than any other manager in the Championship. He has paid his dues, more than 700 games as a manager.

“He has big enough shoulders to take criticism, but I don’t really understand at times where that comes from. You can criticise a performance or a certain run of results, but I simply don’t understand some of the stuff generally saying the whole thing isn’t right having Russell as our manager.

“Our away form is fantastic and one thing he hasn’t done is take our club backwards. Russell has given us a platform for next season.

“That is the time to judge him and I hope everybody gets behind him.”

Asked if the criticism of the Slade regime had fired up players, Turner replied: “It’s certainly fired me up. Ask any of the players and every one of us want to play for him and help Cardiff City progress.

“You don’t go on the away run we finished the season with if everybody isn’t playing for the manager.

“It’s been frustrating for me because when you are out injured there is a need to be patient. Because I’ve been out since January I get to see him personally day in, day out and watch closely what he is trying to do.

“Sometimes it seems he is being criticised for the sake of it. We can win six away games, lose one at home and it’s panic stations.

“There is a lot of work to be done, everybody in our dressing room knows that. We haven’t been good enough this season.

“There is a need for another six or seven wins next season to be in the Championship play-offs or higher. We believe that target is well within our reach. That really is possible.

“Our away form has been great during the closing stages of this season and we need to put that next to consistent home form.”

Asked if it were possible for Cardiff to be promoted next season with Slade in charge, Turner said: “Yes. Look at the tiny margins between every single position. Another five wins and a draw would have put us in the play-offs this season.

“That’s not a lot to extra when you consider some of results we had at start of season, before this manager came in.

“There is no doubt in my mind that promotion is do-able. That’s not me saying we are going to do it because that’s not how football works, but we will be in there with as much chance as anybody else next season.

“There was a lot of upheaval this season. More stability is needed. Everybody must be pulling in the same direction.

“Last time we were promoted we worked together - players, staff, the manager at the time and club owner. The fans were on board, home games were rocking and we would grind out away results.

“If we haven’t got that togetherness we don’t have a chance. If we do have that there is every chance for Cardiff City.”

Turner said of the fans at the City Ground: “If we could get that group sitting together in the same block at home games singing their heads off it would make a huge difference.

“At home I understand it’s a chance to voice concerns for your club and voice what you want to happen.

“Away matches are more like a mini holiday for fans who want to party and create a great atmosphere.

“If we could transfer that sheer passion and support to home games as well it would make a massive difference.

“Why shouldn’t that happen? We have finished in the top half of the table after an absolutely disastrous season when you consider some of the things that have gone on with changes and a wage bill that was ridiculous. There is no secret about that.

“Certain players were here and I don’t mind asking whether they cared about our club like the ones here at the moment do. Who knows?”

Of his own return to the side, Turner said: “It was a matter of concentrating, helping the team earn a positive result and do some positive things myself.”

Re: Ben Turners views “That is the time to judge him and I h

Mon May 04, 2015 7:33 am

Turner raises some very good points, our away form was indeed good towards the end of the season.

Also questioning whether players who have been moved on really had their heart in our club.

He would love to put the fans at Forest away in one block at home to create an atmosphere.

Claims that players who are here are fighting for Slade.

A lot of food for thought in that quite frank interview.

Mon May 04, 2015 7:41 am

carlccfc wrote:Turner raises some very good points, our away form was indeed good towards the end of the season.

Also questioning whether players who have been moved on really had their heart in our club.

He would love to put the fans at Forest away in one block at home to create an atmosphere.

Claims that players who are here are fighting for Slade.

A lot of food for thought in that quite frank interview.

this
carl do you think turner might be ITK if he is sign him up to our message board
the summer info could be really interesting then :sladein: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Mon May 04, 2015 8:22 am

I'd have him as captain.

If manga and morrison are the high earners then a CB pairing if Turner and connolly would be more than enough. Only problem with Turner is injuries.

Mon May 04, 2015 8:26 am

2blue2handle wrote:I'd have him as captain.

If manga and morrison are the high earners then a CB pairing if Turner and connolly would be more than enough. Only problem with Turner is injuries.

Off the pitch he makes an excellent representative for the club.
However I'm a bit concerned he might be too quiet as captain.

He's a top man though.
One of the few over to throw his shirt into the fans on Saturday and always one of the first to the scene when there's an on- field scuffle.

Never forget that goal at Wembley.
No one was going to stop him !!

Mon May 04, 2015 8:36 am

I like Turner and if he stays fit he is a good replacement of manga

Mon May 04, 2015 10:20 am

That is captain comments there. Slade needs to do this regardless if Marshall stays.

Mon May 04, 2015 11:18 am

Lawnmower wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:I'd have him as captain.

Off the pitch he makes an excellent representative for the club.
However I'm a bit concerned he might be too quiet as captain.

He's a top man though.
One of the few over to throw his shirt into the fans on Saturday and always one of the first to the scene when there's an on- field scuffle.

Never forget that goal at Wembley.
No one was going to stop him !!

Great article and at least shows that the players are behind slade which is half the battle. Also reading between the lines shows what a god awful mess ole made of the club.

I rate turner as a defender, not a fancy dan or pleasing on the eye but a pure defender. Everyone raves about manga and I agree he is an excellent player but he makes just as many if not more mistakes than turner who is always solid and gives 100% which is all you can ask. I agree he should probably be captain with preferably connelly along side him if manga goes. Don't see him working with Morrison long term but suppose it was good Saturday so you never know.

Mon May 04, 2015 4:43 pm

Perhaps that might give some people the chance to say Slade isn't all that bad and clearly players want him at the club

Maybe the fans should get off the guys back and give him a chance next season

He is going to have a tough summer by the sounds of it with another major clear out something I expected to be honest and I've said previously it could take 3 seasons to get back challenging at the top with the ongoing changes

Mon May 04, 2015 4:49 pm

Well done Ben Turner."Next season is the time to judge him"Amen to that and not before. :sladein:

Mon May 04, 2015 4:56 pm

Should be next seasons Captain without doubt :bluebird:

Mon May 04, 2015 5:04 pm

Can Slade bring entertainment next season? Bournemouth & Watford fans have been spoiled this season, Middlesborough, Brentford were fantastic attack minded teams.

I see nothing wrong with wanting some of that!

I feel the best Slade will ever get to is a pale imitation of a MM team. That is not blaming him either, players like Frazier Campbell are over the wage threshold!

Mon May 04, 2015 7:58 pm

A great, honest interview which will hopefully make the Slade bashers sit up and realise they should lay off him as we could do a lot worse. :sladein:

Mon May 04, 2015 8:38 pm

boyo1927 wrote:That is captain comments there. Slade needs to do this regardless if Marshall stays.

Couldn't agree more, for me it's gunners but Big Ben has nailed his claim to the mast. Good to see :thumbup:

Mon May 04, 2015 10:25 pm

slade needs to go now, I don't hate him, just his football, turner doesn't pay to watch it. :sladeout:

Mon May 04, 2015 10:53 pm

Ben Turner is pretty much a Cardiff City stalwart and has always been a whole-hearted player. It's not the first time that he's spoken out and given us a clear idea of his loyalty and passion for our Club. I don't suppose he's on a big wage and it must have pissed him off to see all of Solskjaer's overpaid, under-committed mercenaries arrive in their droves. Well said Ben Turner :thumbup: :bluescarf:

Tue May 05, 2015 9:17 am

Just watch city role out the players one by one to back Slade...the bloke with 700 games behind him in Div One...well if he was any good he would have been in the Champioship years ago....Nice Bloke but not good enough...fed up watching dire football...the only time we started getting away results was after Trollope came in...Slade and Young out of their depth :sladeout:

Tue May 05, 2015 9:51 am

kimble wrote:Just watch city role out the players one by one to back Slade...the bloke with 700 games behind him in Div One...well if he was any good he would have been in the Champioship years ago....Nice Bloke but not good enough...fed up watching dire football...the only time we started getting away results was after Trollope came in...Slade and Young out of their depth :sladeout:

Well done Trollope for away wins
Slade out for home loses

They work as a team and should take credit as a team.

A lot of people say Burton was the main reason behind Dave Jones doing well with us but most would be happy with Dave Jones returning