Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" A NEW LAW AGAINST ALL FOOTBALL FANS NEXT SEASON"

Sun May 03, 2015 7:49 am

" ARE THE POLICE GOING TO FAR WITH FOOTBALL FANS? "

YET THEY SELL BEER IN A FOOTBALL GROUND? ? ?

Football fans to be breathalysed before matches

Cambridge United will become the first club in the country to breathalyse fans entering the ground as part of a bid to reduce anti-social behaviour

The Daily Telegraph

May 2015

The Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) is backing a new scheme which will see members of the public have to take a breath test before entering night-time venues in Loughborough if they appear to be intoxicated.

By Martin Evans

Football fans across the country could soon be breathalysed before entering grounds in a bid to stamp out anti-social behaviour and drunkenness at matches.

The first initiative of its kind will be trialled at Saturday's game between League Two sides, Cambridge United and Burton Albion.
Stewards at Cambridge’s Abbey Stadium will be presented with breathalyser devices called AlcoBlows, which will be used to measure whether fans are too drunk to be allowed entry.

While the breathalysers will not be used on every supporter attending the match, anyone who appears to be intoxicated will be asked to blow into the device.
If they are found to give a sample of 70 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath, which is twice the legal drink drive limit, they will be refused admission.
The scheme is an extension of a system operating in a number of towns and cities across the country where pub and club doormen use breathalysers to bar entry to revellers who are too drunk.
But it is hoped if the scheme works well at Cambridge United it could become a regular feature at some of the bigger grounds including Premier League stadiums.
• Pitch side breathalyser to test for concussion
Sergeant Ian Wood of Cambridgeshire Police said there were a number of alcohol-related laws around sporting events and these included the offence of trying to enter a sports ground while drunk.
He said: “My concern is that fans will be unaware of these offences and I hope that the introduction of the devices will help stewards make empowered decisions about who should enter the ground and educate fans about the ramifications of being drunk at sporting events.
“We accept that a responsible fan may consume a moderate amount of alcohol before a game, however, we are focusing on the overly-intoxicated people who are most likely to become problematic during or after the game.
“The breathalysers will detect anything above twice the legal drink-drive limit.”
But supporters’ groups said the scheme was unnecessary as football arrests were at their lowest point ever and stewards already had the power to bar fans if they thought they were too drunk.
Amanda Jacks of the Football Supporters' Federation, said: “This unnecessarily demonises football fans for what is, largely, a scheme aimed at pubgoers and clubbers.
“For years stewards have had the discretion to ascertain “drunkenness” and refuse entry to supporters. We’re not entirely sure what is achieved by introducing this new system.
“Last season there were only eight arrests at Cambridge United home games, and a further eight at away games.
“Of those 16 arrests, only three were for offences relating to alcohol. By the Home Office’s own stats, football arrests are at their lowest point ever, and we think that’s a definitely a story worth reporting.”

A spokesman for The Football Association said the scheme was an independently run initiative and therefore not something it would comment on.

Re: " A NEW LAW AGAINST ALL FOOTBALL FANS NEXT SEASON"

Sun May 03, 2015 8:47 am

Forever Blue wrote:" ARE THE POLICE GOING TO FAR WITH FOOTBALL FANS? "

Cambridge United will become the first club in the country to breathalyse fans entering the ground as part of a bid to reduce anti-social behaviour

The Daily Telegraph

May 2015

The Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) is backing a new scheme which will see members of the public have to take a breath test before entering night-time venues in Loughborough if they appear to be intoxicated.

By Martin Evans

Football fans across the country could soon be breathalysed before entering grounds in a bid to stamp out anti-social behaviour and drunkenness at matches.

The first initiative of its kind will be trialled at Saturday's game between League Two sides, Cambridge United and Burton Albion.
Stewards at Cambridge’s Abbey Stadium will be presented with breathalyser devices called AlcoBlows, which will be used to measure whether fans are too drunk to be allowed entry.

While the breathalysers will not be used on every supporter attending the match, anyone who appears to be intoxicated will be asked to blow into the device.
If they are found to give a sample of 70 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath, which is twice the legal drink drive limit, they will be refused admission.
The scheme is an extension of a system operating in a number of towns and cities across the country where pub and club doormen use breathalysers to bar entry to revellers who are too drunk.
But it is hoped if the scheme works well at Cambridge United it could become a regular feature at some of the bigger grounds including Premier League stadiums.
Sergeant Ian Wood of Cambridgeshire Police said there were a number of alcohol-related laws around sporting events and these included the offence of trying to enter a sports ground while drunk.
He said: “My concern is that fans will be unaware of these offences and I hope that the introduction of the devices will help stewards make empowered decisions about who should enter the ground and educate fans about the ramifications of being drunk at sporting events.
“We accept that a responsible fan may consume a moderate amount of alcohol before a game, however, we are focusing on the overly-intoxicated people who are most likely to become problematic during or after the game.
“The breathalysers will detect anything above twice the legal drink-drive limit.”
But supporters’ groups said the scheme was unnecessary as football arrests were at their lowest point ever and stewards already had the power to bar fans if they thought they were too drunk.
Amanda Jacks of the Football Supporters' Federation, said: “This unnecessarily demonises football fans for what is, largely, a scheme aimed at pubgoers and clubbers.
“For years stewards have had the discretion to ascertain “drunkenness” and refuse entry to supporters. We’re not entirely sure what is achieved by introducing this new system.
“Last season there were only eight arrests at Cambridge United home games, and a further eight at away games.
“Of those 16 arrests, only three were for offences relating to alcohol. By the Home Office’s own stats, football arrests are at their lowest point ever, and we think that’s a definitely a story worth reporting.”

A spokesman for The Football Association said the scheme was an independently run initiative and therefore not something it would comment on.

I would have liked to see them try do that with City fans in the past, like the Valley Ram days, they would have needed thousands of stewards and machines, they wouldn't have had a chance :lol:

Sun May 03, 2015 8:55 am

thats modern football for you annis....sterile .... :ayatollah:

Sun May 03, 2015 9:03 am

Well its just nanny state expanding its tentacles further! Love to see them do it at millennium stadium? Now that would be interesting! :lol: :roll:

Sun May 03, 2015 9:15 am

So you can go straight to the ground without a drink and whilst in there drink 12 pints(if u can afford their prices :lol: ) Don't make a lot of sense :roll:

Sun May 03, 2015 9:18 am

Nobody minds who has a drink before a game, I usually have a couple myself.

On the other hand, me and lots of others have had our match experience ruined by drunken idiots in the crowd around us.

I'd be all for someone making a decision between drinking and getting so drunk that you can potentially spoil someone's day.

If you can't hold it properly without becoming totally stupid then don't drink it.

Sun May 03, 2015 10:02 am

This is such a tough balance to maintain. I'm a steward down the City & having done the occasional game down the away compound we routinely deny entry to anyone who demonstrates they're too drunk to enter the ground - more often than not they're given the chance to sober up before re-assessing if they're fit to enter. I've also had regular complaints whilst working Ninian & Canton whereby a parent has brough their kid to the game & kid has been in tears due to some drunken lout shouting his head off. All I'd say is I've been going to games since I was a kid with my old man & anything said was like water off a duck's back but football should be moving forward - you can't stop someone drinking (I'll have a drink before & during a game if I'm not working) but those doing so need to be accountable to the image they give off to the next generation of fan coming here.

Sun May 03, 2015 10:22 am

Middle-class takeover of football must be opposed. If this becomes the norm, I will gladly emigrate to my wife's country and watch football over there, drink as much beer as I like before, and during games. (yes, having a beer watching football :o )

Sun May 03, 2015 10:38 am

I have heard it all now, will the last working class person to leave any ground please put the lights out!Perhaps we should start selling Pims and clotted cream scones at half time, we could also have three day eventing at half time on the pitch...sound good?
It will certainly keep us oiks at home.
:evil: :evil:

Sun May 03, 2015 10:57 am

so that's the real reason why no of us are renewing! :laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6:

Think I'll have the test next year before purchasing a ticket on the day - I ain't going in to watch without the regimental slosh first before the game - just not football otherwise!

and if over the limit, I can save myself another £30 and go back to the pub! :old:

Sun May 03, 2015 11:11 am

theclaw wrote:So you can go straight to the ground without a drink and whilst in there drink 12 pints(if u can afford their prices :lol: ) Don't make a lot of sense :roll:

Spot On - And how long are the ques going to be to get in at clubs who have over 20,000 going to watch the game before KO.

Sun May 03, 2015 11:51 am

I get that people instinctively don't like being told what to do, but this measure clearly isn't designed to reduce people's freedom to drink, but to eradicate the effects of drunkenness & anti social behaviour. freedom comes with responsibility and if someone isn't responsible for their behaviour and it has a detrimental effect on others, they should lose that freedom.

Sun May 03, 2015 12:33 pm

It will be used in extreme circumstances. They have already said that only those that look overly intoxicated will be checked.

Having a drink and attending football will always go together and that is not what this is trying to stop.

Sun May 03, 2015 12:52 pm

You need a few pints to watch the current shit on offer,if they stopped selling alcohol can you imagine it,they are shocking drunk,how bad will they be sober :lol:

Sun May 03, 2015 1:23 pm

oh well, we all have a chance to change these laws next Thursday. Throughout history, under a capitalist society, a police state becomes the norm, because as we know, they suppress the working classes to a point that when our backs are against the wall, we fight back, they then, obviously, they have the weight of the state behind them as protection. :bluebird:

Sun May 03, 2015 2:17 pm

From what I understand you can still have 3,4 or 5 pints before a game if that's what you want as long as your fairly sensible entering the ground. If your mouthy, chopsy & aggressive you may be checked out with a breathalyser.
Sounds ok to me.

Sun May 03, 2015 2:37 pm

Forever Blue wrote:" ARE THE POLICE GOING TO FAR WITH FOOTBALL FANS? "

The Daily Telegraph

May 2015

By Martin Evans

So someone with a disability like Dyspraxya or Parkinsons for instance could be leagaly humiliated in front of the public.Just beacause a police officer thinks they look ungainly.Me think's this could cost clubs and police millions in law suits under the disability discrimination act.I hope it does.You have just turned me from a labour voter into a supporter of the only party to be anti dogooder.

Sun May 03, 2015 2:43 pm

Nottingham vs Cardiff city 1-2 Highlights Championship 2015
http://sportyhighlights.com/nottingham- ... ship-2015/

Sun May 03, 2015 6:12 pm

From what I can make of it, it more about reducing the amount of overly intoxicated people at matches who cant control themselves when drunk. This will probably only be used in extreme circumstances.
For the majority, Enjoy the match with a pint :mrgreen:

Sun May 03, 2015 10:05 pm

BluebirdFoz wrote:From what I can make of it, it more about reducing the amount of overly intoxicated people at matches who cant control themselves when drunk. This will probably only be used in extreme circumstances.

There are a lot of police out there who are not the best of judge's.There will be many mistakes made.

Mon May 04, 2015 12:01 am

The trouble with this is that stewards are notoriously inconsistent in their dealings with fans. The stewards at CCS have come in for heavy criticism as they appear to be under strict instructions to stamp out exuberant behaviour. This is not anti-social, but passionate behaviour. I worry that the breathalyser may be used to weed out fans who express feelings the management want to stifle.

Twice the legal drink drive limit is very low for some fans who can handle a drink before the match.

I hope the measures are only ever used properly.

Mon May 04, 2015 12:35 am

Football violence is at an all time low in the country, This just seems bizarre.

Mon May 04, 2015 6:34 am

When you go to the rugby internationals they take beer into the ground most rugby fans are pissed before they even get into the ground they then spend most of the time back and fore the toilet getting more beer in jumping up and down because they see themselves on the big screen before they know it they annoy everyone and the games is over and most of them know nothing about rugby

Mon May 04, 2015 10:31 am

cardiff 74 wrote:When you go to the rugby internationals they take beer into the ground most rugby fans are pissed before they even get into the ground they then spend most of the time back and fore the toilet getting more beer in jumping up and down because they see themselves on the big screen before they know it they annoy everyone and the games is over and most of them know nothing about rugby

.... and they say football fans are louts!!! :lol:

You are spot on.

Mon May 04, 2015 10:51 am

Pant_yr_awel bluebird wrote:
BluebirdFoz wrote:From what I can make of it, it more about reducing the amount of overly intoxicated people at matches who cant control themselves when drunk. This will probably only be used in extreme circumstances.

There are a lot of police out there who are not the best of judge's.There will be many mistakes made.

I see it from the opposite perspective. The breathalyser removes any human judgement, or 'jobsworthness' from that particular steward. It wouldn't be pleasant to be challenged when you have Parkinsonian symptoms, but this way you can prove you're not over the limit. It's a good idea IMO

Mon May 04, 2015 2:45 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:From what I understand you can still have 3,4 or 5 pints before a game if that's what you want as long as your fairly sensible entering the ground. If your mouthy, chopsy & aggressive you may be checked out with a breathalyser.
Sounds ok to me.

It says twice the legal limit which, to the best of my knowledge, is 4 pints of average strength lager. I don't keep count but I think I had that before Spurs yesterday. It was 4pm kick off which gave me an extra hour drinking time.

We had a sniffer dog outside the away turnstiles too. I presume it was looking out for drugs. Thankfully he didn't take a shine to my fruit pastilles.