Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Latest on Berget/ Wolff Eikrem "

Sat May 02, 2015 5:11 pm

A little update on two former Cardiff players that were released from their contracts.

Both signed for Malmø which is the best club in Sweden and seeded in the second round of the Champions League qual.

After being huge flops in Cardiff they were given a new chance in Sweden and manager Åge Hareide told media that both players suffered for not being used for their strenghts while in Cardiff. He was sure they would be big assets for a Club who is known for producing players for the European top leagues.

Berget has been moved up as Striker instead of floating around on the wing and Eikrem has been moved up in the pitch so he can use his qualities to open defences. This has resulted in a new start for both players.

Berget is now top scorer in the league with 5 goals and 1 assist in the first 6 matches.
Eikrem has been brilliant up in the pitch and top the assist ranking with 6 assists in 6 matches.

Malmø fans love the contribution from both players and see a potential for getting huge profits on sales from both if their form continues as they were both signed for free.

This makes me wonder: Why did we release them both instead of giving them away for free with a sell on clause of f.ex 25%?

Re: Berget/ Wolff Eikrem

Sat May 02, 2015 5:31 pm

Because the people in charge of transfers are complete idiots!!

Not even trying to recoup a penny from any of these is very, ver poor business.

Re: Berget/ Wolff Eikrem

Sun May 03, 2015 10:09 am

I thought Eikrem could have done a job here, but he just wasn't given a fair chance by Ole or Slade. He would have, in my opinion, been a good replacement for Whitts, but I guess after Ole departed, the Norwegians were always going to follow him out of the door.

Re: " Latest on Berget/ Wolff Eikrem "

Sun May 03, 2015 5:38 pm

And they keep going. Two goals by Eikrem today, and another one by Berget.

Sun May 03, 2015 7:08 pm

One of Eikrem's goals today:
http://www.fotbollskanalen.se/video/3177780/wolff-eikrem-med-sitt-andra-mal/

Even if he was not right for Cardiff, it's hard to see that he has no resale value to another league.

Sun May 03, 2015 7:24 pm

Should've kept eikremm thought he had potentiol

Sun May 03, 2015 8:40 pm

Just shows how important it is to use players in the position they have their qualities in.

I cannot believe we did not secure a sell on fee to give them away instead of terminating the contracts.

Sun May 03, 2015 9:42 pm

Wow. Nice goal. Berget had that sweet heel kick to set it up. Cardiff rejects top scorer and top assist in the team that played CL football a few months ago...

Mon May 04, 2015 8:20 am

I think eikrem looked like he could have been a decent player from what I seen of him, but either tans orders or his heart wasn't in it.

Mon May 04, 2015 8:24 am

We just didn't need them. Eikrem I thought would do well in the championship in a team that needed him.

Mon May 04, 2015 9:47 am

2blue2handle wrote:We just didn't need them. Eikrem I thought would do well in the championship in a team that needed him.

You are probably right on the basis, and in my opinion wrong conception that he is a similar player to Whitts and Ralls. For me he is more like Jordon Mutch with a quick and accurate pass. In retrospect and the lack of goals from open play this year, I would say he is one of the missing pieces. Having watched 5 matches with Malmö, it strikes me that the Swedish league is just as physical as the championship. They don't hold back one bit. But with 22k crowds and game time, I think he is happy where he is right now, and most people at Cardiff is happy he is gone.

Mon May 04, 2015 11:21 am

Both shit.

Burgstaller is the one that we messed up. He was good.

Mon May 11, 2015 8:18 pm

Depressed Blue wrote:Both shit.

Burgstaller is the one that we messed up. He was good.

Maybe. But he scored two again today. Thats 4 goals in two matches. Not bad for a shit midfielder :thumbright:

Tue May 12, 2015 7:55 am

Never saw enough of them to form an opinion on them. Strange that Ole hardly ever played them in the team having brought them here. Obviously Slade was trying a different system which he felt didn't suit them.

Tue May 12, 2015 9:52 pm

Scandinavianbluebird wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:We just didn't need them. Eikrem I thought would do well in the championship in a team that needed him.

You are probably right on the basis, and in my opinion wrong conception that he is a similar player to Whitts and Ralls. For me he is more like Jordon Mutch with a quick and accurate pass. In retrospect and the lack of goals from open play this year, I would say he is one of the missing pieces. Having watched 5 matches with Malmö, it strikes me that the Swedish league is just as physical as the championship. They don't hold back one bit. But with 22k crowds and game time, I think he is happy where he is right now, and most people at Cardiff is happy he is gone.

Maybe, didn't see enough of him to make a decision. Slade might have liked him

Sat May 23, 2015 5:13 pm

http://www.expressen.se/sport/kronikorer/mathias-luhr/luhr-hans-flytt-till-sverige-ar-en-jackpot/

The Swedish journalist said he was hesitant when Markus Rosenberg (former Ajax, Werder Bremen, West Brom) said that two of the biggest stars in Swedish football was Eikrem and Berget before even a match was played.
Now Eikrem has 4 goals 6 assists in 9 matches and is seen as the best player in Sweden.

Eikrem himself says he aint satisfied but that the form is getting there after a long time of not playing regularly.

In a ranking of Top 50 in the Swedish league Eikrem tops the list and berget is at 5th place. This team is also gonna play in Champions League this year and the see potential of huge transfer fees for Eikrem if he can deliver in CL also.

Sat May 23, 2015 6:01 pm

Its amazing what can be achieved when you drop down in league quality.

Sat May 23, 2015 6:04 pm

e="CardiffN"]http://www.expressen.se/sport/kronikorer/mathias-luhr/luhr-hans-flytt-till-sverige-ar-en-jackpot/

The Swedish journalist said he was hesitant when Markus Rosenberg (former Ajax, Werder Bremen, West Brom) said that two of the biggest stars in Swedish football was Eikrem and Berget before even a match was played.
Now Eikrem has 4 goals 6 assists in 9 matches and is seen as the best player in Sweden.

Eikrem himself says he aint satisfied but that the form is getting there after a long time of not playing regularly.

In a ranking of Top 50 in the Swedish league Eikrem tops the list and berget is at 5th place. This team is also gonna play in Champions League this year and the see potential of huge transfer fees for Eikrem if he can deliver in CL also.[/quote]

People complain about us getting rid of them! But malmo are already looking to profit from them in future? If that good why not keep them? :shock:

Sat May 23, 2015 7:02 pm

Wayne S wrote:Its amazing what can be achieved when you drop down in league quality.

Spot on! :thumbup:

Sat May 23, 2015 8:55 pm

mugsy wrote:
Wayne S wrote:Its amazing what can be achieved when you drop down in league quality.

Spot on! :thumbup:

Having watched 6 of their games I can promise you they havent dropped down anything. They even have bigger crowds supporting them.