Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

My View/Opinion ' WHY DID IT TAKE THE WHOLE SEASON ? '

Sat May 02, 2015 1:42 pm

My View/Opinion ' WHY DID IT TAKE THE WHOLE SEASON ? '

' WE KEPT THE BEST UNTIL LAST '

For me this was by far the best performance of the season and most of the game we even dominated.

Why did it take the whole season to play like we did today with attacking football, passing and domination for 90 minutes?

Nottingham Forest 1 Cardiff City 2 :bluescarf:

Crowd 21988 including 1,200 Cardiff :bluescarf:

Cardiff City: Marshall, Peltier, Morrison, Turner, Fabio, O'Keefe, Gunnarsson, Ralls, Kennedy, Mason, Doyle.

Subs: Moore, Ajayi, Adeyemi, Pilkington, Harris, Noone, Revell.

Over 1,200 Cardiff fans made this trip and many in fancy dress.

To be honest I am really glad this season is over and hopefully our club can bring a smile to City fans faces this summer,because there certainly has been nothing to smile about on the pitch.

City were today facing a Forest team who had not won for 8 League games, when they beat lowly Rotherham, so today was a chance for City to go out on a high?

The first ten minutes both teams were lively including both sets of fans and both were going for the win.

Joe Ralls in the 13th minute started the run and finished it with a goal 1-0 City :bluescarf: :bluebird: :thumbright:

This was attacking football that I had not seen by Slade's men before.

In the 24th minute a shot by O'Keefe and the rebound fell to Doyle and it was 2-0 :bluescarf: :bluebird: :thumbright:

Forest came straight on the attack and Marshall made a good save.

The rest of the first half was dominated by Cardiff which included a Joe Mason free kick that went narrowly wide.

2-0 City half time :thumbright:

Bright start to the second half by City and from an inswinging corner by Ralls the Forest keeper had to make a one handed save.

As the game went on City took total control, dominated and continually passed well.

Revell came on for Doyle and Pilkington replaced Kenneddy in a double substitution.

Then in the 77th minute, Marshall was sent off after being elbowed in the face and he retaliated, Moore was brought on and Joe Mason was taken off, leaving City short up front.

So it was backs to the wall, Moore had to produce save after save and City had to clear one off the line.

In injury time Forest got a goal back but to be fair to City they got what they deserved, the three points. :bluescarf: :thumbright:

My man of the match Joe Ralls :thumbright:

Loved today, great football but why leave it to the final game of the season ?

Re: My View/Opinion ' WHY DID IT TAKE THE WHOLE SEASON ? '

Sat May 02, 2015 1:45 pm

Think we play better without whitts in the team looked a solid midfield and defence on paper

Sat May 02, 2015 1:45 pm

Well done Slade and Ralls has got a great future and to finish top half while stripping the squad is not easy so well done to Slade and the boys and roll on next season. :thumbright: :sladein: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Sat May 02, 2015 1:46 pm

Annis, I've stated previously that Cardiff's season was effectively over some time ago and I don't think we should be hoodwinked into believing this result was so significant! ;)

Having said that, a great result to finish (Marshall's well-provoked Red Card apart) and great for you loyal fans who took time out to go up there to support the team! :thumbup:

100% respect for that! :ayatollah: :notworthy:

Sat May 02, 2015 1:48 pm

Wez, There maybe a point to that :thumbright:

Sat May 02, 2015 1:48 pm

Brilliant Result, safe journey home loyal City fans :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Sat May 02, 2015 1:49 pm

Rydogsccfc wrote:Well done Slade and Ralls has got a great future and to finish top half while stripping the squad is not easy so well done to Slade and the boys and roll on next season. :thumbright: :sladein: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Rydo, today was good football :thumbright:

Sat May 02, 2015 1:49 pm

Ralls and Gunnarsson partnership goes a long, long way to explaining it. I think if we had chucked in Adeyemi too it would have been even better :bluescarf:

Sat May 02, 2015 1:50 pm

I like Whitts but everytime he doesnt play we seem to do well in midfield. Why Slade hasnt tried more things out in the middle the last few weeks is baffling. I suppose the pressure if also off now so it always seems to be easier then.

Sat May 02, 2015 1:51 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Rydogsccfc wrote:Well done Slade and Ralls has got a great future and to finish top half while stripping the squad is not easy so well done to Slade and the boys and roll on next season. :thumbright: :sladein: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Roll on next season. :thumbright:

Sat May 02, 2015 1:54 pm

May be our best as we were just more interested in the game, Forest players already on holidays etc, we just wanted it more

Sat May 02, 2015 1:55 pm

Sven wrote:Annis, I've stated previously that Cardiff's season was effectively over some time ago and I don't think we should be hoodwinked into believing this result was so significant! ;)

Having said that, a great result to finish (Marshall's well-provoked Red Card apart) and great for you loyal fans who took time out to go up there to support the team! :thumbup:

Chris, I'm def not,but it was good to finally see City play good football for 90 mins.

But the real test is in August :thumbright:

Nice to finish on a high. :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Sat May 02, 2015 1:57 pm

City Slicker wrote:Ralls and Gunnarsson partnership goes a long, long way to explaining it. I think if we had chucked in Adeyemi too it would have been even better :bluescarf:

It certainly does, I hope Gunnarson is here next season as they want him off the wage bill.

Thankfully We can afford Ralss :thumbright:

Let's hope there is no bid for Ralls though?

Sat May 02, 2015 1:59 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
City Slicker wrote:Ralls and Gunnarsson partnership goes a long, long way to explaining it. I think if we had chucked in Adeyemi too it would have been even better :bluescarf:

It certainly does, I hope Gunnarson is here next season as they want him off the wage bill.

Annis do you know what type of Wage Gunnar is on?

Sat May 02, 2015 2:07 pm

Santa Ponsa Blue wrote:Brilliant Result, safe journey home loyal City fans :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Cheers Mason, finally good football. We are on our way home now :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Sat May 02, 2015 2:09 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I like Whitts but everytime he doesnt play we seem to do well in midfield. Why Slade hasnt tried more things out in the middle the last few weeks is baffling. I suppose the pressure if also off now so it always seems to be easier then.

Luke, I honestly feel his time is up at City,but he will prob be here next season.

As to Slade today, there was no pressure and that probably helped as well as Forest on a terrible run.

Sat May 02, 2015 2:10 pm

Rydogsccfc wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Roll on next season. :thumbright:

Yes but a good break first please :lol:

Sat May 02, 2015 2:16 pm

BlueSince1908 wrote:May be our best as we were just more interested in the game, Forest players already on holidays etc, we just wanted it more

Fair point :ayatollah:

Sat May 02, 2015 2:16 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Luke,Gunners is on about £22,000 plus bonuses.

Sat May 02, 2015 2:18 pm

Really impressive performance today.

Ralls, Doyle and Mason are a good trio it seems. Also thought Peltier did well today.

Obviously the likes of Marshall, Manga, Jones, Le Fondre etc are all going to leave in the summer, so we just have to wait and see who Slade replaces them with.

I'm not a Slade fan, so I can't see us doing much next season either but hopefully I'm proved wrong.

But a good performance today, and as has been said, it's always good to finish with a win.

Something to take into next season?

Sat May 02, 2015 2:20 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Really impressive performance today.

Ralls, Doyle and Mason are a good trio it seems. Also thought Peltier did well today.

Obviously the likes of Marshall, Manga, Jones, Le Fondre etc are all going to leave in the summer, so we just have to wait and see who Slade replaces them with.

I'm not a Slade fan, so I can't see us doing much next season either but hopefully I'm proved wrong.

But a good performance today, and as has been said, it's always good to finish with a win.

First as usual good to see you again :thumbright:

Yes today we looked lively and wanted it,we have a base of a good squad,lets strengthen this Summer and go for it :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Sat May 02, 2015 2:21 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I do like Gunnar but that's a lot for the player he is.

Sat May 02, 2015 2:28 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Yes today we looked lively and wanted it,we have a base of a good squad,lets strengthen this Summer and go for it :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Yes, good to see you all again as well :thumbright:

Hopefully a full summer transfer window will do Slade some good.

See you in August, if not June for the Wales match :thumbright: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Sat May 02, 2015 2:32 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Sven wrote:Annis, I've stated previously that Cardiff's season was effectively over some time ago and I don't think we should be hoodwinked into believing this result was so significant! ;)

Chris, I'm def not,but it was good to finally see City play good football for 90 mins.

But the real test is in August :thumbright:

Nice to finish on a high. :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Indeed! :thumbup: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sat May 02, 2015 2:40 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I do like Gunnar but that's a lot for the player he is.

It is Luke,but we need a leader and we need some quality players next season to go with the lower division players if we want to go up and also convince fans to pay £30 plus a game.

Sat May 02, 2015 2:43 pm

I think you will find that the midfield partnership was Gunnarsson and O'Keefe and not Ralls, he was playing left midfield :thumbup:
Anything to have a go at Whitts I suppose.

Sat May 02, 2015 2:50 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Was it the Birmingham game when Gunnar went off before half time and Ralls moved into central midfield to replace him? I thought that was the turning point of the game and we played better afterwards. We need a good midfield captain and organiser, and I think there may be midfielders out there who cost less in wages than Gunnar who could better fulfill that role. He has not been very effective this season and I think perhaps now is the right time to move him on.

Sat May 02, 2015 2:53 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Yes, good to see you all again as well :thumbright:

Hopefully a full summer transfer window will do Slade some good.

See you in August, if not June for the Wales match :thumbright: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Ned yes June for Wales and see you in August for City :thumbright:

We need a good summer

Sat May 02, 2015 2:54 pm

bluebird58 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Was it the Birmingham game when Gunnar went off before half time and Ralls moved into central midfield to replace him? I thought that was the turning point of the game and we played better afterwards. We need a good midfield captain and organiser, and I think there may be midfielders out there who cost less in wages than Gunnar who could better fulfill that role. He has not been very effective this season and I think perhaps now is the right time to move him on.

Not sure?

But I rate Gunnarsand Ralls :thumbright: :thumbright:

Sat May 02, 2015 2:55 pm

A good performance by City today and credit when it's due to the players and management. It makes all the difference when we use our wide players properly. I thought Gunnar and o'keefe did well and dare I say it, Morrison and Turner did well too. Ralls and Kennedy were brilliant and forest couldn't deal with them and our fullbacks once again were solid. We won today because we wanted it more and for the first time this season all our players were singing from the same hymn sheet and it was great to finish the season on a high. :bluebird: