Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" CARDIFF CITY FANS SPEAK OUT ABOUT NEXT SEASON "

Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:34 pm

" The Cardiff City season ticket dilemma: Two ardent fans explain their different decisions on renewing next season "

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foot ... ma-9083315? :thumbup:

By Terry Phillips

Monday 20th April 2015

Terry Phillips speaks to two fans with opposing views on committing their cash to the club again next season

image.jpg

" Why I have Renewed my season ticket '

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foot ... ma-9083315 :thumbright: :thumbright:

Annis Abraham has renewed his Cardiff City season ticket for 44 consecutive seasons and says: “If we lost the next 50 matches in a row I would still turn up at the next game.”

Many disillusioned Bluebirds fans have said they won’t be renewing for next season and Abraham believes sales have dipped to their lowest point for a decade.

City have had around 18,000 season ticket holders this season and sales are certainly dramatically down with club officials saying current sales are more than 4,000.

Abraham won’t desert the Bluebirds, but admits his passion for the club has faded over recent years, saying: “I’ve lost that feeling of wanting and loving your club, wanting to go to the stadium.

“I don’t even feel sad now when they lose. That’s terrible. I have had love for so long.

“It feels like a chore to watch my own team and that’s sad. It’s not just because of the football being played, the whole feeling has gone.

“There is a divide between supporters and their club.

“But, personally, if we lost the next 50 matches in a row I would still turn up at the next game.”

Abraham, 49, started supporting Cardiff City during the early 1970s when two players visited his school and handed out free tickets to the next match.

“I persuaded my grandfather to take me, Gil Reece scored for City and I’ve been going ever since,” he says.

Abraham was against the club rebrand to red kit, welcomed the return to blue and says: “I am hurt by fans who said they would return to the stadium when their team returned to blue, but many haven’t.

“It seems a long way back to a point where fans believe in their football club and I don’t think the journey has even started.

“My fear is that the split is still growing wider.”

Cardiff are a mid-table Championship club and manager Russell Slade believes he can build a squad to challenge for a top six finish next season, but Abraham says a change is needed.

“Slade does the best, he is giving his all and is a passionate man. But I don’t feel sorry for him because he knew what he was coming into.

“He would have to repeat what Malky Mackay achieved and take Cardiff back to the Premier League next season to win fans over.”

Abraham believes Cardiff must act now to attract young fans to matches, saying: “There are plans for next season in terms of looking after fans and increasing the singing around the stadium, but that’s only good for those who attend. How do you tempt those who are missing back to matches?

“I should not be paying £260 for my nine-year-old daughter to sit in the Ninian Stand next to me. It should be £50 around the whole stadium for anybody under 16 as along as they are with an adult. I don’t like talking about Swansea City, but I certainly don’t hate them for what they have achieved. Their success is helping them pick up fans in Bridgend, Neath and more areas which were strongholds for the Bluebirds.

“The longer Swansea stay in the Premier League, and we are struggling, the worse it will get.

“Kids will support Swansea. We have always been on the doorstep of Swansea, but now they are on ours.

“We all wanted to see Cardiff City in the Premier League, playing the likes of Manchester United and Liverpool. But it was so bad in that season the dream turned sour.

“Now it’s gone and sometimes I sit there and wonder why I am there. Nobody wants to cheer or sing. Things have to change in a number of ways, but it’s my club and I will stand by them until the good times return.”

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foot ... ma-9083315? :ayatollah:

image.jpg

" Why I won't be renewing my season ticket "

While Abraham will be back at the stadium next season, Cardiff-born Tony Iacobucci, 51, is among those who have decided not to renew.

He has been supporting the Bluebirds since the mid 1970s, has been a season ticket holder since the days when Dave Jones was manager and says: “I would always organise my work rota to ensure I would be able to attend matches, but now I’m finding excuses not to go.

“It’s got to a point where I would rather be working or go shopping with my girlfriend than go to a match.

“I feel disillusioned and that’s more to do with the owner, Vincent Tan, than Russell Slade.

“I held Malky Mackay in high esteem and since the day he was sacked, I started to lose interest.

“After his departure almost everything seems to be a disappointment. My interest has gone, my passion for the club has gone.

“But it’s not so much the football being played, but what’s happening off the pitch. Club debts have risen sharply and are still rising.

“They were at a level of £30m or £40m for a long time, but that has gone up sharply.

“There is so much uncertainty around the club. I won’t be going to watch Cardiff City next season.”

Iacobucci’s first match was Cardiff City v Hereford United at Ninian Park in 1975-76 when 36,000 were in the ground, they won 2-0 and were promoted from Division Three.

“I loved watching Cardiff, even though I didn’t have a season ticket in those days,” he says.

“I decided to take the plunge when Dave Jones was manager and didn’t miss a game at home. I arranged other commitments around football.

“Right now I don’t feel I want to go back. A lot of people want to point the finger of blame at Slade because of the football being played, but I don’t think that’s entirely fair.

“There is a need to look at how the club is being run, from top to bottom.

“There was a time not so long ago when it was difficult to buy a season ticket at Cardiff City Stadium and at one stage I thought I would miss out. Now it seems a lot of people are not going to renew and I am certainly one of those.

“It’s nothing specific as such, but I don’t feel the affiliation with the football club I had before. It’s difficult to see brighter times ahead and I won’t be going to watch Cardiff City until things start to improve.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " CARDIFF CITY FANS SPEAK OUT ABOUT NEXT SEASON "

Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:53 pm

I agree with annis that children should be able in most parts of the ground but wouldn't let them in the canton

Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:42 pm

Annis makes a good point about fans who said that they would return when we played in blue at home, but have not done so.

Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:54 pm

Ffs holds a sign saying slade out
And says some want to blame slade but I don't think that's fair

Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:56 pm

Pointing at Tan as the reason is a smoking mirror imo, we are t successful at the mo and we're basically a "football" generation away (like 2-3 years minimum) from that being on the table (minimum) pointing at that, or Slade makes you look weak sauce when you point at tan you can still try and take some pride.

Obviously it's not one size fits all but that's the facade a fair few are putting up.

Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:57 pm

troobloo3339 wrote:Ffs holds a sign saying slade out

:lol: :lol:

You always get the wrong end of the stick Steve :lol:

Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:19 pm

One key word used in this "split".

Personally, I'd love to go back to watching games. It actually frustrates me when people say they're not renewing simply because they're not enjoying it. Whilst I respect everyone's decisions, I'd love to go down but I can't afford a season ticket with my second child on the way and with my wife working the hours she does a Saturday is one of the few days we get to see each other. Funnily enough, her work hours changed when I stopped going due to the rebrand so that has had a butterfly effect. I'm sure that's the same for many that stopped going because of the rebrand.

I am planning on attending the games I can next season and, fingers crossed, when finances have settled after this second baby then I will be able to commit to a season ticket. For me, yes, the club could be doing more on the supporter relations front but I don't have an overwhelming issue with anything else. If I had the time and money I'd be back down there every home game.

There is never an easy ride with Cardiff City. We all knew that when we first started going. Whether it was the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, or 10s. We all know what we signed up for. I'm confident things will settle soon. The club just needs to realise that if you're going to cut costs you need to be a bit more innovative to get the fans through the stalls.

Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:26 pm

You can sift through a million posts on this but the reality is if city suddenly became decent on the pitch fans would be back in their droves red blue pink with tan or whoever in charge! :bluescarf:

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:14 pm

Tony laboccuci has had a season ticket, what 6 years :lol: Basically since we have had year in year out success :lol: and now we are struggling he's jacking it in. He is just like 80% of Cardiff supporters. We have never built a large loyal season ticket holding fan base, because we have never had any sustained success. Deliver, success and winning team and the supporters will turn up, simples :thumbup:

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:15 pm

carlccfc wrote:
troobloo3339 wrote:Ffs holds a sign saying slade out

:lol: :lol:

You always get the wrong end of the stick Steve :lol:

Thanks for clearing that up Carl ;) - i have not gone completely grey yet :!:

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:48 pm

Zabier wrote:One key word used in this "split".

Personally, I'd love to go back to watching games. It actually frustrates me when people say they're not renewing simply because they're not enjoying it. Whilst I respect everyone's decisions, I'd love to go down but I can't afford a season ticket with my second child on the way and with my wife working the hours she does a Saturday is one of the few days we get to see each other. Funnily enough, her work hours changed when I stopped going due to the rebrand so that has had a butterfly effect. I'm sure that's the same for many that stopped going because of the rebrand.

I am planning on attending the games I can next season and, fingers crossed, when finances have settled after this second baby then I will be able to commit to a season ticket. For me, yes, the club could be doing more on the supporter relations front but I don't have an overwhelming issue with anything else. If I had the time and money I'd be back down there every home game.

There is never an easy ride with Cardiff City. We all knew that when we first started going. Whether it was the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, or 10s. We all know what we signed up for. I'm confident things will settle soon. The club just needs to realise that if you're going to cut costs you need to be a bit more innovative to get the fans through the stalls.

Great post! That's what supporting a club is all about, going to games when you can. The ground is big enough now, so nobody really needs to buy a ST in advance. Hope that all goes well with the second child, and that you can get a few games in next season. I bet that you'll enjoy it, especially after a time away.

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:51 pm

I have been a season ticket holder since 1992. I have yet to renew for me and my 8 year old lad. To be honest my boy has many times this season not wanted to go to games. He does not enjoy it like he used too.

For me I will always support city but right not it is not the same. The atmosphere is dreadful. Myself included I no longer have the passion I used too. The match day experience is no longer the same. Will I renew before August. Right now it's a no. But ask me again in august and who knows I might get sucked in again.

Bluebirds

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:07 pm

Leytonstoneblue wrote:Tony laboccuci has had a season ticket, what 6 years :lol: Basically since we have had year in year out success :lol: and now we are struggling he's jacking it in. He is just like 80% of Cardiff supporters. We have never built a large loyal season ticket holding fan base, because we have never had any sustained success. Deliver, success and winning team and the supporters will turn up, simples :thumbup:

This is the nail on the head really. I renewed and it would have to be something major for me not too but so many are now deserting and for reasons that prove they were never that arsed in the first place.

It's a catch 22 really in that for the fans to come back we need success and without any money from fans through gate we may struggle to strengthen as we would like.

As far as I am concerned this season has been a success of sorts in that we are back in blue which at the start of the year was vital for Me. Next year I want progress and haven't given Up on whether we can achieve this as you never know in football. We have had difficulties in our recent past with transfer embargoes and milky having no squad etc and have managed. Once this season is over its onwards and upwards.

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:08 pm

Good words Annis and mad to think your first game was the game my uncle gil scored.

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:27 pm

I've renewed regardless...

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:28 pm

I've sat next to Annis the last 2 seasons and Carl this one,Nukes just in front ( when he has not fallen asleep ).
Before that sat with other members on this forum - had a drink before and after the match.
We started off with RED or BLUE - Followed by MM or OLE ( to blame ) for our troubles add Slade to the mix.

Where the problem lies with me is as i been quoted above - the club is in a worst mess from the day Tan took over.
The debt is a worry which some people can't see - Over paid wages : Fees : Bonuses : Large squad : Contracts etc...

Tan is a man who will not admit he has made a mistake - It took his mum to go back to BLUE.
Slade was his choice - So as i have said many times before will not get sacked - he will have to resign ( or made to ) ;)

MM - Was the best manager we have had for some time - who else would have taken us up with the players who were up for the job.
His faults were the Dane when he should have got Jordan Rhodes ;) :oops: :oops: :oops: & the texts :(

As for OLE - He and Tan are the reasons we are in this mess ( add Dalman ) The wages and deals done with some players.

Why would you want to buy a season ticket when there are going to be lots of spare seats next year - Or you can buy a half season ticket come DEC ???
I Wish the club well - Will miss the friends i have made on match day - My time is important to Me :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:58 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:I've sat next to Annis the last 2 seasons and Carl this one,Nukes just in front ( when he has not fallen asleep ).
Before that sat with other members on this forum - had a drink before and after the match.
We started off with RED or BLUE - Followed by MM or OLE ( to blame ) for our troubles add Slade to the mix.

Where the problem lies with me is as i been quoted above - the club is in a worst mess from the day Tan took over.
The debt is a worry which some people can't see - Over paid wages : Fees : Bonuses : Large squad : Contracts etc...

Tan is a man who will not admit he has made a mistake - It took his mum to go back to BLUE.
Slade was his choice - So as i have said many times before will not get sacked - he will have to resign ( or made to ) ;)

MM - Was the best manager we have had for some time - who else would have taken us up with the players who were up for the job.
His faults were the Dane when he should have got Jordan Rhodes ;) :oops: :oops: :oops: & the texts :(

As for OLE - He and Tan are the reasons we are in this mess ( add Dalman ) The wages and deals done with some players.

Why would you want to buy a season ticket when there are going to be lots of spare seats next year - Or you can buy a half season ticket come DEC ???
I Wish the club well - Will miss the friends i have made on match day - My time is important to Me :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Are you not going any more?

Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:06 pm

Will pick and choose what games to go to - my issues are are more with what is going on off the pitch than on it.

I Was asked the question about would i be renewing my season ticket - which is No.

Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:10 pm

After reading a lot of posts on here, seems to me that a lot of glory hunters won't be renewing

Lots of excuses but it all boils down to 'I'll only go when we are winning'

That's my opinion :bluescarf:

Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:12 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:Will pick and choose what games to go to - my issues are are more with what is going on off the pitch than on it.

I Was asked the question about would i be renewing my season ticket - which is No.

Good that you'll still be going to games. You make a good point about Jordan Rhodes. :bluescarf:

Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:29 pm

trueblue wrote:After reading a lot of posts on here, seems to me that a lot of glory hunters won't be renewing

Lots of excuses but it all boils down to 'I'll only go when we are winning'

That's my opinion :bluescarf:

I've known guys who have been going for years that will not be renewing.

Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:52 am

Wolfpac wrote:Good words Annis and mad to think your first game was the game my uncle gil scored.

I enjoyed watching Gil and playing against him many times mate.
RIP

Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:04 am

Wolfpac wrote:Good words Annis and mad to think your first game was the game my uncle gil scored.

Well I can blame Gil for getting me hooked on Cardiff City :lol: :thumbright: Boy do I miss those great days :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:16 am

From FB

Glenn Villis,
Annis, I've renewed , however, even with the return to blue it hasn't brought back the love I had. Even if the badge went back to the one we all want it'll never be the same. Tan has killed the club so badly that I don't think we'll ever have the love we had for it. It was a massive part of my life and I loved the club but he's stamped on that and it

Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:36 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:I've sat next to Annis the last 2 seasons and Carl this one,Nukes just in front ( when he has not fallen asleep ).

At this present time, the club has its problems, but none as bad as in years gone by, with debts that could not be serviced, transfer embargoes, decrepit stadiums, admin constantly threatened, the owner forced to sell all our best players, rather than deciding to through sound financial sense. The fact is that if this owner and board, just made a couple of wiser decisions and appointments then everything is in place to have another genuine shot at promotion. We have built up an artificial season tickets base over the last 5 years, witnessed by the fact that 18000 renewed even when our club had its colours and badge changed! Which tells you, that for most winning and success were more important. Now the football is shit, supporters like you are just bailing out and that's your perogative but don't fool yourselves that it's anything more than that. :thumbup:

Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:37 am

wez1927 wrote:I agree with annis that children should be able in most parts of the ground but wouldn't let them in the canton

Wez, We honestly need our kids to keep this club alive and City are not doing anything about it.

Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:51 am

Forever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:I agree with annis that children should be able in most parts of the ground but wouldn't let them in the canton

Wez, We honestly need our kids to keep this club alive and City are not doing anything about it.

Annis, you and the fans who back this fan initiative are totally correct :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Nobody can take them seriously when they are talking up next seasons aspirations as it is just wishful thinking (Play-offs) It is dishonest to expect a play-off place with Slade in charge and the likelihood of buying cheap players.

Not empty words but actions that are going to make fans feel part of the club :bluescarf:

Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:13 am

I don't think there is a split as such,I believe the vast majority of fans want Slade out,and replaced with either an experienced championship manager or a younger manager from the lower divisions with exciting potential

Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:47 am

From FB

Lee Winters You either support City or you don't. Turning your back because of an owner is pathetic IMHO We've been through dark days far worse than is a long time ago. New age fans are spoilt with the success.
Like · Reply · 5 · 11 hrs
1 Reply

Peter Jeremy Heal Only true fans will buy their season tickets regardless of how good or bad city are, Some so called fans only buy into the prestige of supporting a PL side, These are the people city don't want, But sadly a return to the PL Is a very distant dream given that the existing set up is wholely inadequate,Very worrying times ahead,BUT I WOULD LOVE TO BE PROVED WRONG.
Like · Reply · 3 hrs

Liz Williams I'm not renewing. I've just bought a house and I was one of the price freeze lot. I've paid 400 for the last 5 years and it's been great football...I ain paying more to watch what might be a relegation battle. It's not about us losing games, it's about...See More
Like · Reply · 3 · 5 hrs

Ian Williams No season ticket no opinion !!!!!
Like · Reply · 13 hrs
4 Replies · 12 hrs

Rod Young In my view, whilst Tan has made some very poor decisions starting with Malky's sacking, Slade has been by far his worst. Appointing a man who has never before managed at this level and never achieved promotion with any club at any level, spelt doom and...See More
Like · Reply · 4 · 13 hrs

Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:01 pm

Leytonstoneblue wrote:

At this present time, the club has its problems, but none as bad as in years gone by, with debts that could not be serviced, transfer embargoes, decrepit stadiums, admin constantly threatened, the owner forced to sell all our best players, rather than deciding to through sound financial sense. The fact is that if this owner and board, just made a couple of wiser decisions and appointments then everything is in place to have another genuine shot at promotion. We have built up an artificial season tickets base over the last 5 years, witnessed by the fact that 18000 renewed even when our club had its colours and badge changed! Which tells you, that for most winning and success were more important. Now the football is shit, supporters like you are just bailing out and that's your perogative but don't fool yourselves that it's anything more than that. :thumbup:

Your DELUDED - How do you know where i would rather spend my time on match day ???
If you spent some time and had a good read of the OP - MY quotes are about what i see and what i would rather do.
As for the debt - You are NO business man as it has treble if not got worse from the dark days you go on about :o
Please don't let me stop you giving Mr Tan more of your money - which he is charging the club 7 or 8 % interest ;)