Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City Fans/Ashley Williams ?

Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:23 am

CARDIFF fans opinions of him?

And even though he is a Jack,do you Respect him for Wales?

Some sections of City fans have given him stick,so should all the divide of clubs be put aside once and for all when Wales play?

Re: Cardiff City Fans/Ashley Williams ?

Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:27 am

Maybe I've missed something but he has never done anything I can think of for me to dislike him.

When we've played them he has only ever been competitive. Has he ever taken the mick out of us?. He always plays when possible, he never pulls out a week before games. Wihtout him our defence would be a shambles at times.

I like him. Same as I like Neil Taylor.

Quite a sad state that both our teams combined only have a handful of welsh players.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:00 am

remember him booting the ball into our crowd once. think it was when Emnes scored that goal against us. he understandably got a little over excited i believe.
at the end of the day hes our rival at club level but colleague at international level, but hes also English. i respect Ben Turner more for turning down Wales than i do for Williams winning caps cos he wouldnt get in his own countrys team

Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:04 am

Great defender, good captain and spoke honestly in his interview before his 50th cap.

very happy to back him as our national team captain as he's leading the team well.

Will always give him awful stick every time he plays against us because I'm a bluebird!

Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:24 am

I'll never chant his name but ill give him his due respect.

He's no Alan Tate is he?

Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:36 am

Mr Shed wrote:Great defender, good captain and spoke honestly in his interview before his 50th cap.

very happy to back him as our national team captain as he's leading the team well.

Will always give him awful stick every time he plays against us because I'm a bluebird!

This is how I see it. Part of a solid looking defence

Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:36 am

I respect him most for taking a group of Swansea players to the funeral of a swansea fan. Is a great leader and a very good defender. Glad he is doing both for Wales.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:54 am

In a welsh shirt it doesnt matter to me - the people that go a little crazy with Gippos in welsh side Ill never understand.

If he had his campsite top on then of course Id give him sh*t, but when in Welsh shirt he has my total respect.

Lets face it, we arent exactly blessed with players

Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:56 am

He might be English, but strangely he seems to raise his game when he plays for Wales. Actually looks better at International level than he does at club level.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:11 am

At risk of sounding like Pembroke Allan :) we're not the only small country to poach players not born within our borders. And like similar countries we don't have the resources to be choosy. Williams and Coleman have been great for Wales,but not everyone can find it within themselves to be fair to people with jack connections.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:34 am

Who ever puts on a Welsh shirt whether they are a Jack, English, Scottish or non European if they give 100% for our country I will always give them 110% in return when they play for Wales.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:46 am

Universally disliked (mainly just for being a pesky 'JacK') like many before him! ;) :lol:

Seems an ok kind of guy, but I don't see why Wales FC starting to perform at last should catapult him into some kind of Cardiff City FC fan hero? When playing for Wales FC, he needs support like everyone else in the team, but if ever he comes down here with his 'other' team he's fair game, just like the other 10 (and manager) around him! :thumbup: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:00 pm

My only problem with him was when he seemed to make mistakes every other game costing us a goal.

Seems solid at the moment but in my opinion he should not be captain but I blame Coleman for that.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:45 pm

It certainly is a tough one and will never get everyone agreeing!

From my view:

1) He actually knows and sings the Welsh national anthem when some of our players don't!
2) He's a very good defender and without him our defence would be shambolick.
3) Yes, he's a Jack. But for Wales, my country, he gives 100%. I can't ask for more. Do Rangers fans hate Scott Brown when he plays for Scotland?

Ashley Williams has not done anything too outrageous for me to hate him. Completely different situation in the South Wales derby as he is the captain of the enemy.

For Wales however, I respect him.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:38 pm

2blue2handle wrote:My only problem with him was when he seemed to make mistakes every other game costing us a goal.

Seems solid at the moment but in my opinion he should not be captain but I blame Coleman for that.

Mistakes every other game? Go on, list them. I can't remember that many mistakes from him.

As for the issue of him being captain, I think you're in a small minority.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:40 pm

lathamgaffney wrote:It certainly is a tough one and will never get everyone agreeing!

From my view:

1) He actually knows and sings the Welsh national anthem when some of our players don't!
2) He's a very good defender and without him our defence would be shambolick.
3) Yes, he's a Jack. But for Wales, my country, he gives 100%. I can't ask for more. Do Rangers fans hate Scott Brown when he plays for Scotland?

Ashley Williams has not done anything too outrageous for me to hate him. Completely different situation in the South Wales derby as he is the captain of the enemy.

For Wales however, I respect him.

To be fair, I think we can put that to bed now. I believe every player sang the anthem on Saturday, or at least gave it a go! Even Hal Robson-Kanu sang.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:56 pm

KBK-13 wrote:
Mr Shed wrote:Great defender, good captain and spoke honestly in his interview before his 50th cap.

This is how I see it. Part of a solid looking defence

Agree 100% :thumbup:

Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:57 pm

At the end of the day, he wants to play for Wales and you can see that in his performances. He's a brilliant character and we're lucky to have a player like him in our squad. #TogetherStronger

Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:09 pm

I like him.

All stick given is just to wind him up on derby day. Like with every jack player it's nothing personal.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:19 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:My only problem with him was when he seemed to make mistakes every other game costing us a goal.

Mistakes every other game? Go on, list them. I can't remember that many mistakes from him.

I'm not that bothered that I'm going to go through all the Welsh games. He probably didn't make mistakes every other games but he seemed to make a lot of mistakes that cost us goal.
Can't remember him making any this campaign though which is good and as I said he has been solid.

Yes I would say I'm in the minority regarding the captaincy but that's my opinion, and I don't think it should be allowed.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:28 pm

At club level he gets the same stick from me as any other player that plays for the jacks but when he plays for my country then I will always support him and any other Swansea player, he has done nothing to warrant abuse from us when he is in the red of Wales :thumbup:

Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:36 pm

I'm not a fan of the grandparent rule and think it should be abolished however seeing as the rule is in place we may as well exploit it like the Irish did under Jackie Charlton.

Williams is one of the best central defenders in the premier league and alongside Ramsey and Bale is the main reason why Wales have started the group so well.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:00 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:

I'm not that bothered that I'm going to go through all the Welsh games. He probably didn't make mistakes every other games but he seemed to make a lot of mistakes that cost us goal.
Can't remember him making any this campaign though which is good and as I said he has been solid.

Yes I would say I'm in the minority regarding the captaincy but that's my opinion, and I don't think it should be allowed.

If your son was born in bristol and his son was born in Edinburgh while on holiday there, who would you like your grandson to play for England, Scotland or Wales?

Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:52 pm

Forever Blue wrote:CARDIFF fans opinions of him?

And even though he is a Jack,do you Respect him for Wales?

Some sections of City fans have given him stick,so should all the divide of clubs be put aside once and for all when Wales play?

Totally Annis. :thumbup:

I hated it when Bellers used to get stick playing for Wales too. It's the same thing. It's like calling Joey Allen a scouse git just because he plays for LFC. Next thing Bale will be subject to racist chants as a Spanish player. Where does it end??? Actually, it ends the moment they put OUR shirt on.

Williams is probably the best captain at the moment. He can see the game unfolding in front of him. Bale needs to have his eyes on the prize although he and Williams seem to enjoy some joint leadership which is fine.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:53 pm

rontom wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:

If your son was born in bristol and his son was born in Edinburgh while on holiday there, who would you like your grandson to play for England, Scotland or Wales?

I'd let him decide but my child would never ever be born in England :laughing6:

Is this even the same scenario as williams? What is his connection? Was he born here? did he grow up here?

Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:11 pm

This thread has restored my faith in City fans. V sensible posts.

For what it's worth, I think he's been great for Wales for some time now and I'm glad he's playing for us.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:50 pm

Cardiff dyskinesia wrote:At risk of sounding like Pembroke Allan :) we're not the only small country to poach players not born within our borders. And like similar countries we don't have the resources to be choosy. Williams and Coleman have been great for Wales,but not everyone can find it within themselves to be fair to people with jack connections.

???????? havnt a fcking clue what you are on about? :roll:

your not another groupy who trolls my posts are you? think you had better put up link to whatever you are talking about, if not shut up! :thumbup:

Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:44 am

I have no problem with Ashley Williams or the other swansea players in the team they are good players.when I watch Wales I support whoever is in the team no matter what club they come from its all about Wales for me when I watch our national team

Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:37 am

Fair play to Ashley Williams he has done well this campaign.

All the players representing Wales at all levels from the schoolboy upwards including the anglos are taught the Welsh national anthem.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:13 am

He is not the first "foreigner" and certainly not the last to don the Welsh shirt.

He has always done his best and yes he has made mistakes and cost us one or two goals but so have other players like Ramsey and Bale and Collins.

Any player who wears the RED deserves for 90mins our 100% backing irrespective of club colours, we are Wales!!! we are not blessed with the riches of talent of the english or Scots

But we can still stick it up them :thumbup: