Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' CHRIS COLEMAN HAS HIS SAY '

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:49 pm

Saturday 28th March 2015

By Chris Wathan

' The Chris Coleman Wales Q&A: Israel win was special but I believe our biggest result is still to come '

Was that as good as it gets?

It has to get better if we are going to qualify. But yes, it's a great result, a wonderful performance. I think the pleasing thing for me is that you see the team implementing the style of play that they've worked on all week. We needed to concentrate on the performance and we did that. The three points was what it was all about but it was a great performance.

What did you make of Gareth Bale's contribution bearing in mind what had gone on during the build-up?

I think what's a plus with international football is when you come away from your clubs, then you are concentrating on something different and your mind is on something else.

It's been wildly publicised about what's going on with Madrid, there's a bit of criticism flying at Gareth, but he did tonight what he's been doing for some time now with Wales. He's got the jersey on, he's got his sleeves rolled up and he's mucking in like everyone else. When you've got the ability that boy has got, then anything possible of course. But he's doing the hard work as well and that was another good performance from him.

Did the maturity of the side impress in the way they went about getting such a significant result away from home?

We needed to show that. It's a difficult place to come, a big crowd, they're very passionate about the national team. We needed to keep them quiet as much as we could.

As a team our pitch geography was fantastic, we were always in the right positions and apart from the end of the first half, before we scored there was one chance but when I thought the first half where there could have been a bit of fire, we stood up to anything they had, we controlled the tempo of the game, we dictated how it was going. We won 3-0 but I don't think anyone could have complained if it was more than that.

But I guess you have to keep calm because as good as a result this is, there is a lot of work to do?

Our biggest result is yet to happen. I believe it will happen and I believe it will be in this campaign, but it is still to come. Whilst the next game is another challenge, it's another chance for us to show people that we're a good team and that we command respect.

That's five games, we've conceded two goals, one was a penalty and one was a free-kick. We're not an easy 90 minutes for anybody anymore. I think that's probably one defeat in 18 months. We're on the right road but we're not at the end of it yet.

Does it give you some breathing space in the campaign?

You start the group and you look around the 20-point mark, you've got to be really unlucky if you get to 20 and you don't get to the first top two. Our objective was after five games to be in the top three and we're there. But we're halfway through it. We've done some good work and we're on the right road. But there's some distance left. We're improving as well to be fair and that's a good sign for us.

Did you expect more from Israel?

I don't think Israel expected us to play like we did, with the formation which we played, they didn't expect us to be so aggressive offensively, I think maybe they expected us to come here and defend for 90 minutes. So maybe that surprised them. I wouldn't criticise Israel. Sometimes you've got to give the opposition credit. The players were magnificent.

You said it was your biggest game. Where does the result rank?

Every time I manage Wales and you win the feeling is better than I've ever had as a club manager. Equally when you lose, the feeling is amplified and I had plenty of that a the start. Looking back, I think that stood me in good stead. We're on the move, but we've still got a lot of distance to cover. Looking at it, to come away from home, to beat a team that's top of the league 3-0, a team that beat one of the favourites, Bosnia, here 3-0, that's definitely one of the best results, for sure.”

All we can do is take care of our business when we walk on the pitch. The fans have come hell of a long way to watch us play and they were magnificent. They come if they are watching a group who are prepared to do anything for that red shirt.

Whatever the result is as long as they see a committed group of players they will be behind us – and they are. We have to build on that. The next game won't get a better atmosphere with that stadium full and a partisan Welsh crowd. We've been striving towards it. Now we've got it so let's build on it.

Can't wait for Belgium now?

I can't to be honest. It's nice to be sat here and watch Israel now play them and we have them in June and we have the time to see how we do it, to again to bring the players in and make sure we prepare as well as we have done in every game and we will get another performance from them, I'm sure.

Ever thought Israel would be as poor and does night give you a jump towards France?

I've been in football a long time and one thing you don't do is when things are going well you don't get carried away. And when they don't you stay positive. It's a great night, a great performance but it doesn't mean we're going to France. There are many more points to play for and what will be will be. It's one game, we move on because nothing's decided.

Is this the best team since 1958?

We've got the chance to prove we are. I played in welsh teams in 1994, 2004 where we nearly did it. So what do we want to do – and we have the opportunity to do it – is to go a step further. People say it's a golden generation but we need to earn it. We're doing it but we've not done it yet. We've got the chance to do something special. We want the chance to prove since 1958 this team is as good as anything that's gone before.

Re: ' CHRIS COLEMAN '

Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:46 am

Interesting comments.

When we have all our players we can compete.

Feeling good about this campaign as long as Bale and Ramsey stay fit

Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:17 am

NIBluebird wrote:Interesting comments.

If Bale, Ramsey and Williams stay fit we should qualify. If they get injured Coleman will have to prove his worth as a manager. I suspect if bale and Rambo get injured Coleman will be shown up for what he is.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:15 am

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

If Bale, Ramsey and Williams stay fit we should qualify. If they get injured Coleman will have to prove his worth as a manager. I suspect if bale and Rambo get injured Coleman will be shown up for what he is.

The players are showing great belief and togetherness, I credit Coleman for this well done him

Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:29 am

ThomasC wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

The players are showing great belief and togetherness, I credit Coleman for this well done him

Agree.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:44 am

Coleman has and is showing his worth to the welsh cause. Hodgeson isn't only judged when the likes of Rooney aren't available, Ferguson wasn't only judged when Giggs and Beckham weren't available.... And neither was Gary Speed.

We are currently looking a better side than we have been in decades with a togetherness rarely seen on the international stage. The players have put this down to Coleman. He also sets the team up and made them adaptable. We were a defensive unit in Belgium and against Bosnia and ground out two excellent 0-0 draws and made us surprisingly offensive yesterday against a team that hasn't lost at home in almost 3 years.

Coleman will go down as one of Wales greatest ever managers, and fully deserving of the accolade. We can be proud of our national side again.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:51 am

I really didn't rate Coleman - but he has proved me wrong in this campaign

It's easy to say that he's got bale and Ramsey to work with - but it seems his man management has been absolutely superb, the players realise that they are the match winners, but he's made sure they feel like a team rather than a group carried by individuals which is a great acheivment

I credit the success to Coleman - good job

Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:21 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

Show Coleman for what he is? Who else would get Wales to win without bale and ramsey? Noone ! Same as any other small country who struggle without stars. No bale or ramsey bring in church and Vaughan Massive difference

Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:24 pm

Joe Allen is also turning into a world class player. He has been a revelation this year and yesterdays win was also majorly down to him. He snuffed out so many attacks and played some lovely incisive passes. He goes unnoticed and the glory goes to the two that grab the goals. Its quite an uneducated mind to think that the team is down to Bale and Ramsey. They obviously contribute massively, but we really are a team. Look at our 0-0 against Belgium and Bosnia... That wasn't down to Bale or Ramsey, it was the team unit.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:52 pm

I was firmly in the Coleman out camp and am pleased to have egg on my face

Happy to admit I was wrong he started badly and I had concerns over his ability at national level but coming into what he did it was always going to be the hardest job ever for anyone

Lookin back I was too harsh on him especially when players like bellamy even admitted how much of a struggle it wasa for that side after speeds passing and no one helped them from the FAW which I find appalling in itself

Fair play to Coleman and the lads that was probably the best performance I have seen in my time watching WALES against a side that haven't lost at home in 3 years and had only conceded two goals so far so to control the game the way we did and put 3 past them which could have Been more is impressive

The togetherness in the camp is also great to see and this side is young who knows how good they could become obviously we lack cover in certain positions but I really hope we get to France so far we deserve to let's hope we keep the momentum up

Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:07 pm

smakerzthebluebird wrote:I was firmly in the Coleman out camp and am pleased to have egg on my face

Happy to admit I was wrong he started badly and I had concerns over his ability at national level but coming into what he did it was always going to be the hardest job ever for anyone

Lookin back I was too harsh on him especially when players like bellamy even admitted how much of a struggle it wasa for that side after speeds passing and no one helped them from the FAW which I find appalling in itself

Fair play to Coleman and the lads that was probably the best performance I have seen in my time watching WALES against a side that haven't lost at home in 3 years and had only conceded two goals so far so to control the game the way we did and put 3 past them which could have Been more is impressive

The togetherness in the camp is also great to see and this side is young who knows how good they could become obviously we lack cover in certain positions but I really hope we get to France so far we deserve to let's hope we keep the momentum up

top post :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:07 pm

Ali_Keith wrote:Joe Allen is also turning into a world class player. He has been a revelation this year and yesterdays win was also majorly down to him. He snuffed out so many attacks and played some lovely incisive passes. He goes unnoticed and the glory goes to the two that grab the goals. Its quite an uneducated mind to think that the team is down to Bale and Ramsey. They obviously contribute massively, but we really are a team. Look at our 0-0 against Belgium and Bosnia... That wasn't down to Bale or Ramsey, it was the team unit.

Agree. This Bale and Rambo love-in is understandable but misses the point: Wales are at last competitive yet capable of defending and holding sway in midfield. It is a fairly balanced team in my opinion.

Here's another thing to think about: what did George Best win with his country? Why no big achievements? Because you can't do it on your own!!! Bale is amazing but he's also a team player who knows he needs backup. That Is one of his biggest attributes and maybe why Real Madrid need to give him some credit and support.

Just saying - Coleman has done a blinding job so far!!!!

Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:22 pm

According to the BBC ratings (out of 10):-

Bale - 9 (MotM)
Allen - 9
Ramsey - 8

I also had Allen down for MotM until Bales 2 goals and single handedly got the Israeli sent off. His contribution then became too large and had to take the honour.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:51 pm

Ali_Keith wrote:According to the BBC ratings (out of 10):-

Bale - 9 (MotM)
Allen - 9
Ramsey - 8

I also had Allen down for MotM until Bales 2 goals and single handedly got the Israeli sent off. His contribution then became too large and had to take the honour.

I thought Allen was excellent too and Wales dominated this game due to the midfield who were outstanding. I would also count ledley in this as he was great first half until he went off injured. The trio of Allen ledley and Ramsey allowed others like bale to play.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:57 pm

Norman146 wrote:
Ali_Keith wrote:According to the BBC ratings (out of 10):-

Bale - 9 (MotM)
Allen - 9
Ramsey - 8

I thought Allen was excellent too and Wales dominated this game due to the midfield who were outstanding. I would also count ledley in this as he was great first half until he went off injured. The trio of Allen ledley and Ramsey allowed others like bale to play.

I agree with all this. The interesting thing is that many other players were rated a 7, which tells me that the team was strong overall. Of course the star was Bale as expected, but how encouraging is it to have quality from the keeper to the striker!! Entertaining too. What a prospect. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:59 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

What a bitter fool you are. I feel sorry for you. Must be quite galling to eat humble pie?

Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:01 pm

Ali_Keith wrote:Joe Allen is also turning into a world class player. He has been a revelation this year and yesterdays win was also majorly down to him. He snuffed out so many attacks and played some lovely incisive passes. He goes unnoticed and the glory goes to the two that grab the goals. Its quite an uneducated mind to think that the team is down to Bale and Ramsey. They obviously contribute massively, but we really are a team. Look at our 0-0 against Belgium and Bosnia... That wasn't down to Bale or Ramsey, it was the team unit.

Exactly. Allen was magnificent last night, and is on top of his game at present.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:41 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

What a bitter fool you are. I feel sorry for you. Must be quite galling to eat humble pie?

I hope I'm proved wrong but I simply don't rate Coleman. He was a dire club manager and in my opinion is no better as an international manager. People have short memories. The performance against Andorra was shocking. Last night was the first convincing win under Coleman.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:54 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

I hope I'm proved wrong but I simply don't rate Coleman. He was a dire club manager and in my opinion is no better as an international manager. People have short memories. The performance against Andorra was shocking. Last night was the first convincing win under Coleman.

Well, you will be proved wrong. Comprehensively wrong. The performance against Andorra was poor, yes, but primarily because of the rubbish pitch. When they come to the CCS in October, Wales will demolish them.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:25 pm

Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
Cwmann_Bluebird wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

Well, you will be proved wrong. Comprehensively wrong. The performance against Andorra was poor, yes, but primarily because of the rubbish pitch. When they come to the CCS in October, Wales will demolish them.

Well said C_B. Andorra was a one-off and almost completely due to that dreadful pitch. I also think we will beat them in Cardiff whether Bale plays or not. If he does, it will be a cricket score.

Tbh I've never been a fan of Coleman but he has shown real influence and an ability. I am lucky in that if I'm wrong I see no shame in changing my stance. I'm just so proud at the moment of the way the team is playing and put it down to great players AND a great manager.

Re: ' CHRIS COLEMAN HAS HIS SAY '

Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:35 pm

Coleman being a rubbish club manager is a complete myth. He only failed at Coventry as would most others in that position as Coventry were on the slide. He can claim to have been a success in every other job he had which spanned 3 or 4 countries. Its an impressive CV.

Of course we are going to have bad performances, we are Wales. Name me one manager we didn't have bad performances under? We got hammered to Northern Ireland under Speed and under Toshack we were a shambles more often than not.

He is doing a fine job. Top of the group and unbeaten at the halfway mark in a group that includes Belgium, Bosnia and Israel. Anyone who cant admit that is good going clearly has an axe to grind rather than a genuine critique.