Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Less Than 100 Cardiff Fans '

Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:51 pm

Less the 100 Cardiff Fans had season tickets during the late 80s and middle of the 90's.

I think for 2 seasons we had either just under 100 season ticket holders.

I remember it got so empty and cold on the Bob Bank, I swopped my season ticket for one in the Grandstand for 1 season :lol:

Crowds went as low as 1,400 :shock:

We have come a long way since those days :thumbright:

Could that ever happen in the New Stadium?

Re: ' Less Than 100 Cardiff Fans '

Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:04 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Less the 100 Cardiff Fans had season tickets during the late 80s and middle of the 90's.

I remember it got so empty and cold on the Bob Bank, I swopped my season ticket for one in the Grandstand for 1 season :lol:

Your a barrel of laughs recently annis

Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:08 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Less the 100 Cardiff Fans had season tickets during the late 80s and middle of the 90's.

Your a barrel of laughs recently annis

Thank you Wez, Glad I amuse you :lol:

Just showing we have have come along way since those days :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Lets hope we dont see those days again.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:31 pm

My first season ticket was centre grandstand in the Durban era. We got relegated from div 2 yet my dad and I renewed. Got relegated to the 4th.

I remember some awful football in that era but I used to get a huge buzz as we drove down the Ely link road and the floodlights of ninian park came into sight.

Watching players like Robbie Turner and John Carver should have put me off for life.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:34 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

My first season ticket was centre grandstand in the Durban era. We got relegated from div 2 yet my dad and I renewed. Got relegated to the 4th.

I remember some awful football in that era but I used to get a huge buzz as we drove down the Ely link road and the floodlights of ninian park came into sight.

Watching players like Robbie Turner and John Carver should have put me off for life.

Gareth, There was something about Ninian Park that got me excited,loved those days. I find it a chore going to the New Stadium, but My Love for Cardiff City still drives me there. :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:23 pm

I had one in the 90's , a little blue wallet with tear out tickets inside.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:26 pm

You didn't need to buy a season ticket in those days, I went to just about every home game, as did most of my mates. I can only think of 1 who used to buy a season regularly back then. If it's going back to that situation, then the club have only themselves to blame.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:33 pm

I reckon min 7,000 crowds at least next season :bluescarf:

Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:51 am

Morning Annis.
I wouldnt be overly concerned about next season. I'm waiting until the last minute before I get a ticket, as are most people I know. Others are just picking and choosing games.
There is no panic to get your existing seat as most people dont care where they go these days, plus they are never going to sell out for any game.
The club has expanded the stadium to a capacity we dont need so there is no panic to buy for anyone.
Personally I think we'll be down to 12-15000 attendances next season and thats only because we're back in blue.
I'll be there as usual......people who think these are hard times must be insane. As you say, the div 4 days were a world away. :old: :lol:

Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:59 am

Bluemellons wrote:Morning Annis.
I wouldnt be overly concerned about next season. I'm waiting until the last minute before I get a ticket, as are most people I know. Others are just picking and choosing games.
There is no panic to get your existing seat as most people dont care where they go these days, plus they are never going to sell out for any game.
The club has expanded the stadium to a capacity we dont need so there is no panic to buy for anyone.
Personally I think we'll be down to 12-15000 attendances next season and thats only because we're back in blue.
I'll be there as usual......people who think these are hard times must be insane. As you say, the div 4 days were a world away. :old: :lol:

Morning, I do agree there is def no panic anymore.
I also know quite a few who are going to buy theirs later than usual,I also know some who are just going to come to games.
But I also know plenty who are not bothering at all.

I think the Club should of marketed this a lot better after the fiasco of the last 4 years.
They needed to let the fans know they are wanted etc.
Its to late now, so now they need to be challenging for promotion next season.
I also reckon the crowds will be as low as 12,000 next season.

But We Will be there :thumbright: :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

I actually enjoyed those days in Div 4 :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:00 am

rhondda 1015 wrote:You didn't need to buy a season ticket in those days, I went to just about every home game, as did most of my mates. I can only think of 1 who used to buy a season regularly back then. If it's going back to that situation, then the club have only themselves to blame.

I agree the club only have themselves to blame.
The problem when fans dont have season tickets,many will only go to half the games,some even only a handful.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:07 am

What the club should do is sell season tickets in canton, grange and ninian stands for 200 each. Concessions half price. Charge 400 in grandstand. They would sell 20,000 no problem. Not only that they would benefit from greater merchandising and food/drink income. Standard match day prices should be 20 for adults and 5 for kids.

The club has the parachute payments as well. Sadly they are too short sighted to do this.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:09 am

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:What the club should do is sell season tickets in canton, grange and ninian stands for 200 each. Concessions half price. Charge 400 in grandstand. They would sell 20,000 no problem. Not only that they would benefit from greater merchandising and food/drink income. Standard match day prices should be 20 for adults and 5 for kids.

The club has the parachute payments as well. Sadly they are too short sighted to do this.

Gareth, Little Bradford City have 10,000 Season ticket holders, £50 for Under 16's anywhere in their ground :thumbright: :thumbright:

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:11 am

Be interesting to see how other clubs fair with ST sales in championship & football in general! Get feeling only teams successful last season will keep level of ST sales, :old:

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:19 am

Xcasual wrote:I had one in the 90's , a little blue wallet with tear out tickets inside.

:thumbright: :bluescarf:

I much preferred them than todays plastic cards.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:19 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:What the club should do is sell season tickets in canton, grange and ninian stands for 200 each. Concessions half price. Charge 400 in grandstand. They would sell 20,000 no problem. Not only that they would benefit from greater merchandising and food/drink income. Standard match day prices should be 20 for adults and 5 for kids.

Gareth, Little Bradford City have 10,000 Season ticket holders, £50 for Under 16's anywhere in their ground :thumbright: :thumbright:

It makes so much sense to do cheap tickets for kids. The club should also be giving away tickets to schools from across South wales. The hierarchy of the club have not got a clue how to run a bath let alone a successful business.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:22 am

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

It makes so much sense to do cheap tickets for kids. The club should also be giving away tickets to schools from across South wales. The hierarchy of the club have not got a clue how to run a bath let alone a successful business.

Gareth, It certainly does and I know it works :thumbright:
My first game in 1972 was because City had gone to Marshfield Primary School and given Free tickets for us kids,I persuaded My Grandfather to take me and I was hooked :thumbright: I wish they hadnt now :lol:

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:45 am

Forever Blue wrote:

For me this is a bog issue.....

I want to move further back in the Ninian but I think its £240 for my 13 year daughter......This is madness.

I am waiting to see what happens.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:48 am

A lot of people forget the dark days of the 70's + 80's annis, you had to be there to believe it didn't you, as for the season tickets i remember my first one (late 70's) was like a raffle book. :lol:

Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:06 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Gareth, It certainly does and I know it works :thumbright:
My first game in 1972 was because City had gone to Marshfield Primary School and given Free tickets for us kids,I persuaded My Grandfather to take me and I was hooked :thumbright: I wish they hadnt now :lol:

My first Ccfc experience was when I lived in Aberystwyth as a 7 year old. Ccfc bought a full strength team for the opening of the floodlights. I persuaded my dad to take me. Like you I was hooked. My first Ninian park trip was a year later when staying with my grandparents in Barry and my dad took me to watch us v Newcastle on a cold Tuesday night. We won 1-0. I've still got the programme and ticket. Moved to Cardiff in 82 and from then until 89 I hardly missed a home game. Been exiled since.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:51 pm

Blueboys1927 wrote:I reckon min 7,000 crowds at least next season :bluescarf:

70001 just renewed god knows why :lol:

Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:18 pm

100 ST Holders?

That can't be right, can it?

I was one of four with ST's so that means we accounted for 4% of season ticket sales. :)

Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:45 pm

Wayne S wrote:100 ST Holders?

That can't be right, can it?

I was one of four with ST's so that means we accounted for 4% of season ticket sales. :)

Wayne,You and I certainly did. One of the seasons was 90 odd and the other was I believe just over 100 Season ticket holders, We have certainly come along way :thumbright: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

I hope we dont go to far backwards under Tan & Co.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:05 pm

Xcasual wrote:I had one in the 90's , a little blue wallet with tear out tickets inside.

yes, with numbered vouchers to be exchanged for the odd cup game, etc. :thumbup: :)

Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:03 pm

Sven wrote:

yes, with numbered vouchers to be exchanged for the odd cup game, etc. :thumbup: :)

Mine was sponsored by monty smith car dealership in penarth

Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:59 pm

And those who can't be bothered or have lost interest or don't love the club anymore will be back in their droves the minute we start winning and having success. A sad fact :thumbup:

Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:16 am

WHEN you all start talking about what you did or what it was like in the 60s 70s 80s etc it only says ONE THING YOU are getting OLD

Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:58 am

My first Cardiff city game was in 1978 and we beat Sunderland 5-2, I am sure it was an evening game and I was 12 years old, think it cost about £3-5 to get in. The place was buzzing but then again it was the first time apart from a big shop that I had seen so many people in one place.

I was memorized by the floodlights and the muddy pitch, a packet of fizz whiz in my pocket with flares you could camp in and a blue, yellow and white scarf tied around my wrist.

Favourite player was John Buchanan and Peter Sayer.

Happy days

Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:23 pm

I am proud to have been 1 of the 100 back then :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Just renewed for next season .................. :bluescarf: :old: :bluescarf: :old: :bluescarf:

Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:53 pm

Hell of a challenge, but if anyone can get us back to that level Russell Slade can :laughing6: