Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Someone educate me on Depresion is it a kop out!!

Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:21 pm

Trott,Speed, Collymore,Carlisle, that Tosser of a co pilot. All different cases and reasons yes, but is it just a kop out . I'm always pissed off throughout the year and sometimes feel quite low. I can't help but feel In particular that Carlisle is just an attention seeker and nearly killed that driver :old:

Re: Someone educate me on Depresion is it a kop out!!

Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:37 pm

I think that post in itself shows you do need an education on depression. Granted, there are cases when people use depression as an excuse for their actions but it is still considered to be a relatively taboo topic which drives so many people with depression to do desperate things. It is a terrible illness and one that deserves more attention.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:39 pm

Until you have it you will never really understand it, I hope nobody on here will ever get to know it.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:48 pm

blue lagoon wrote:Trott,Speed, Collymore,Carlisle, that Tosser of a co pilot. All different cases and reasons yes, but is it just a kop out . I'm always pissed off throughout the year and sometimes feel quite low. I can't help but feel In particular that Carlisle is just an attention seeker and nearly killed that driver :old:

depression doesnt mean suicide but its a fine line between the two especially if things in life are not to good....a good friend of mine hung himself last october...depressed but life not to good for him....what i find hard about the pilot is if this story is the truth im baffled as to why he felt it necessary to kill so many innocent people

Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:49 pm

We are all programmed the same, it is just minuscule differences mean we are unique. Our mind is our universe, our lives happen in front of us. Your world is essentially you looking at the screen in front of you right at this moment. That is it.

Depression is not just a feeling of sadness, it is self loathing.

Self loathing when you are boxed into your own mind, about as claustrophobic as it gets. There is only one escape from the prison that is your mind (bit deep!).

It is easy to look at someone from the outside and throw any number of opinions at them. But until you are in their head, looking at the world from their point of view, you will never understand.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:50 pm

What that pilot done was fuking evil. If people feel the need to commit suicide, then go into the woods and do it, or jump off a remote bridge. But to take innocent people with him like he did.... People who valued there lives, is pure evil. Same goes for people who jump in front of trains ect and ruining other peoples lives in the process, who had nothing to do with making you suicidal. There's always another better option than suicide IMO except in certain cases where people have terminal illnesses and are in extreme pain. I'm all for assisted suicide in certain cases, and would like to have that option if I was fucked and in constant extreme pain through desease

Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:00 pm

its very simple, no long winded reply or several paragraphs is needed for your bullsh*t post!

for anyone to kill themselves means that they are very low in life and feel the only way out of it is to end their lives which is very sad, to even ask the question if its a kop out says alot about you!

Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:01 pm

As far as I understand it is an illness which can smother a person without warning.Simple everyday tasks become difficult even impossible,not an expert but have seen people who have been bitten by it and it appears to be awful.Very much a Taboo subject and open for mickey taking which is wrong in every aspect.
Nobody can put themselves in the mind of another to fully understand how a person is feeling.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:46 pm

It cost gary speed his life and no one knew! I spent best part 25yrs working in mental health and yes it is used as excuse for lots reasons , but it is extremely debilitating when it strikes genuine people :thumbup:

Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:55 pm

It is a terrible dark place to be in and extremely difficult to break free from. Medication can work short term but really it is a lot of the time something which can effect many people at different stages in their life depending on their changing circumstances. Horrible, lonely place and not understood or tolerated by people who don't have any understanding of mental illness and mental health.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:43 pm

Clinical depression is an illness. The black dog. It's not the same as being a bit cheesed off.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:59 pm

Its never ever a cop out! It can be devastating and completely ruins people's lives. Often people who are fortunate enough never to have been inflicted with the illness take a condescending view on sufferers simply because they do not understand the malaise. This country has very great difficulty facing up to the illness, and providing sufficient help to restore victims to health.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:47 pm

blue lagoon wrote:Trott,Speed, Collymore,Carlisle, that Tosser of a co pilot. All different cases and reasons yes, but is it just a kop out . I'm always pissed off throughout the year and sometimes feel quite low. I can't help but feel In particular that Carlisle is just an attention seeker and nearly killed that driver :old:

learning to spell it would be a good start.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:16 pm

Okay here goes, suppose as this forum will be this first ones I tell it's sort of an exclusive Like someone said above unless you have it you will never know. I started suffering with it when I turned 19' I myself just thought it was me being a moody teenager. Feeling you get is strange, it's not a downer or low, it's you feel you are at rock bottom, literally nothing you do is good enough or right, and everyone will be better off if you aren't around, at 19 I began drinking heavy every night, went through bottle after bottle of sleeping pills would wake up feeling like sh&t so I would them take as many painkillers as I could. I went through this for months and if I am being honest I can't remember most of it, it came to the stage where I had planned my "Kop out" I'm my own way I said my goodbyes to everyone. But realised that the shame it would bring my family was something I couldn't do so I kept the drinking and tablet taking. I'm now 23 and will celebrate my 24th birthday in 2 weeks time. I can't remember much of being 19 or 20. I have never told anyone of this simply because as a man I was brought up not to show emotional or show my feelings I got to be strong for everyone and I know it sounds Awh the typical bullshit excuse it's true. I still am suffering with my depression but I feel I have it slightly under control thanks to what I do now, and the people I work with make a huge difference without knowing it. I still have my Kop out stuff in my bedroom, but I use it as a reminder to what bottom is. And st the moment I am not ar bottom

I have only. Said to on those forum thanks to the fact that I don't really know anyone on here personally except for one or two so I can't really be judged if I'm out and about and I feel it allows people close to me not to know. But I would also like to thank the original poster because this is serious subject. And to your answer I felt like I was kopping out even though I saw it as my only escape

Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:28 pm

The OPs views perpetuate a culture in which depression is shunned and you end up with situation like the co-pilot (who wasn't evil). Depression is an illness just like anything else and those who shame it keep it hidden when it needs to be open and not something feel guilty about.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:52 pm

bluebird04 wrote:Okay here goes, suppose as this forum will be this first ones I tell it's sort of an exclusive Like someone said above unless you have it you will never know. I started suffering with it when I turned 19' I myself just thought it was me being a moody teenager. Feeling you get is strange, it's not a downer or low, it's you feel you are at rock bottom, literally nothing you do is good enough or right, and everyone will be better off if you aren't around, at 19 I began drinking heavy every night, went through bottle after bottle of sleeping pills would wake up feeling like sh&t so I would them take as many painkillers as I could. I went through this for months and if I am being honest I can't remember most of it, it came to the stage where I had planned my "Kop out" I'm my own way I said my goodbyes to everyone. But realised that the shame it would bring my family was something I couldn't do so I kept the drinking and tablet taking. I'm now 23 and will celebrate my 24th birthday in 2 weeks time. I can't remember much of being 19 or 20. I have never told anyone of this simply because as a man I was brought up not to show emotional or show my feelings I got to be strong for everyone and I know it sounds Awh the typical bullshit excuse it's true. I still am suffering with my depression but I feel I have it slightly under control thanks to what I do now, and the people I work with make a huge difference without knowing it. I still have my Kop out stuff in my bedroom, but I use it as a reminder to what bottom is. And st the moment I am not ar bottom

I have only. Said to on those forum thanks to the fact that I don't really know anyone on here personally except for one or two so I can't really be judged if I'm out and about and I feel it allows people close to me not to know. But I would also like to thank the original poster because this is serious subject. And to your answer I felt like I was kopping out even though I saw it as my only escape

hats off to you butty. Great post!!

Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:52 pm

I have just retired from 30 years in the NHS as a mental health professional. Depression is a very serious and debilitating condition. No doubt.

However, in recent years , ironically, as it has become more acceptable to discuss mental health problems, there are more cases of people trying to take advantage of this illness which has no visible symptoms. As someone says above, having periods of low mood and feeling fed up are a part of life. However, an increasing number of people want to use this as an excuse for inappropriate behaviour. And worse than that, depression seems to have taken over from the "bad back" as the main excuse of getting a sick note, and the medical profession (especially GPs) would rather not call people's bluff about depression just in case the person does go off and kill themselves. It is this sort of attitude which results in a negative attitude and disbelief towards what can be a very serious condition.

Next time you use the phrase "I'm depressed" , stop and think whether you really mean it.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:55 pm

bluebird04 wrote:Okay here goes, suppose as this forum will be this first ones I tell it's sort of an exclusive Like someone said above unless you have it you will never know. I started suffering with it when I turned 19' I myself just thought it was me being a moody teenager. Feeling you get is strange, it's not a downer or low, it's you feel you are at rock bottom, literally nothing you do is good enough or right, and everyone will be better off if you aren't around, at 19 I began drinking heavy every night, went through bottle after bottle of sleeping pills would wake up feeling like sh&t so I would them take as many painkillers as I could. I went through this for months and if I am being honest I can't remember most of it, it came to the stage where I had planned my "Kop out" I'm my own way I said my goodbyes to everyone. But realised that the shame it would bring my family was something I couldn't do so I kept the drinking and tablet taking. I'm now 23 and will celebrate my 24th birthday in 2 weeks time. I can't remember much of being 19 or 20. I have never told anyone of this simply because as a man I was brought up not to show emotional or show my feelings I got to be strong for everyone and I know it sounds Awh the typical bullshit excuse it's true. I still am suffering with my depression but I feel I have it slightly under control thanks to what I do now, and the people I work with make a huge difference without knowing it. I still have my Kop out stuff in my bedroom, but I use it as a reminder to what bottom is. And st the moment I am not ar bottom

Well said and good luck with it all.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:56 pm

SwampCCFC wrote:

learning to spell it would be a good start.

That was deep i was hoping for more off you. Lol.

Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:36 pm

I've said something similar to this on Facebook before
Got aload of shit for me
People giving me shit saying you don't know what they are going through
But it's ok for them to crash planes
Hurt innocent family's
Way I see it go see someone for help and if you don't want to do that yeah go ahead kill yourself but don't kill anyone else in the process

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:10 pm

Well done mate, great post :thumbup:

Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:37 am

bluebird12345 wrote:

I've said something similar to this on Facebook before
Got aload of shit for me
People giving me shit saying you don't know what they are going through
But it's ok for them to crash planes
Hurt innocent family's
Way I see it go see someone for help and if you don't want to do that yeah go ahead kill yourself but don't kill anyone else in the process

You and the OP have the same outlook on the subject and looking at you I would guess you can't understand peoples reaction to your viewpoint.If you broke a leg and I asked you to play 90mins of football and then publicly took the piss out of you and abused you saying you didn't have a valid reason I expect you would be quite mystified at my response to say the least.And thats exactly what you and the OP are doing about clinical depression.Just because you can't see it doesn't necessarily mean its not broken.Its something that just happens to you like a broken leg and just like a broken leg with the right treatment can be fixed again.So if your brain is broken then it doesn't matter how you do it you just can't see anything but a big black hole of which there is no escape and nobody can reach you either so jumping in front of a train or crashing a plane is just a solution to you and whats right or wrong is the bit thats broken.For the record I used to have a similar viewpoint to you.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:06 am

when people say "why take innocent people with you" "why jump in front of a train and ruin other peoples lives."...then you do not understand the illness of depression...when you are really suffering with this illness...it affects your mind considerably..what may seem rational to you doesn t to someone who is suffering...to hang yourself or take pills becomes a very rational option and nothing else matters and it seems the only way out of the hell you are suffering.....