Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

General Election 2015

Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:15 pm

Whisper it, but we decide how the country is run for the next 5 years in a month or so. Thought I'd make a thread.

Personally I have zero idea who I am voting for. Every single party has aspects that I hugely disagree with. If I want to vote for one I simply have to accept these terrible policies and make concessions. What sort of vote is that?.

It confuses me how so many people can make it public knowledge they vote whole heartedly for a single party. Like Blueminitititi. Every party has negative areas. Plaid are not perfect, yet he tries to make them out to be. Why? Because they have a handful of policies he truly believes in. He might agree with every single thing they say, but I doubt it.

I am struggling to accept these bad polices, most are too important to me. I am completely stuck.

I am pro business but I am also pro worker. I hate how powerful the unions have become but I know they have a place. I hate big business.
I am pro human rights but I am also for accountability.
I am pro immigrant but I am also for controlling our borders.
I am for more devolution to Wales but I am not for independence.
I am for green polices but I don't see it as realistic in the modern world.
I am massively against privatising health care, yet I cannot see how the NHS continue without it.

Need I go on.

I think I am fairly balanced in my political beliefs, which leaves me in no mans land.

What annoys me more than anything is that we are just a month or so away from exercising our rights as 'free' citizens and walking down the road to put a piece of paper in a box. A month away. Yet not one party has released their manifesto. Treating the normal person like total shit as usual.

If you can be arsed to read that, any opinions on where you're voting??.

The first leaders TV programme is this Thursday at 9pm on Sky News.

P.S. People from the UK have fought and died fighting for our right to vote in a democratic country. Even if you know only a few polices, that is contributing more to society than Russell Brand ever will.

Re: General Election 2015

Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:37 pm

Always voted Labour but will be voting ukip as a protest vote cause all the others are naf

Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:01 pm

Depressed Blue wrote:Whisper it, but we decide how the country is run for the next 5 years in a month or so. Thought I'd make a thread.

Personally I have zero idea who I am voting for. Every single party has aspects that I hugely disagree with. If I want to vote for one I simply have to accept these terrible policies and make concessions. What sort of vote is that?.

It confuses me how so many people can make it public knowledge they vote whole heartedly for a single party. Like Blueminitititi. Every party has negative areas. Plaid are not perfect, yet he tries to make them out to be. Why? Because they have a handful of policies he truly believes in. He might agree with every single thing they say, but I doubt it.

I am struggling to accept these bad polices, most are too important to me. I am completely stuck.

I am pro business but I am also pro worker. I hate how powerful the unions have become but I know they have a place. I hate big business.
I am massively against privatising health care, yet I cannot see how the NHS continue without it.

Need I go on.

I think I am fairly balanced in my political beliefs, which leaves me in no mans land.

What annoys me more than anything is that we are just a month or so away from exercising our rights as 'free' citizens and walking down the road to put a piece of paper in a box. A month away. Yet not one party has released their manifesto. Treating the normal person like total shit as usual.

P.S. People from the UK have fought and died fighting for our right to vote in a democratic country. Even if you know only a few polices, that is contributing more to society than Russell Brand ever will.

Like yourself, I find myself stuck in a position where I like and dislike things about some of the parties with no party truly aligning with my views. I sympathise with some of your opinions there and the tug between one way and another.

It's hard for a party to meet someones view totally so the best thing is to pick the things that matter most and see what the parties think about those matters and let the rest go.

The most important thing for me is to vote. The parties take my age group (20s) for granted because of the rate of people my age who vote and give the older generations more because they do vote. It's time for everyone to stand up and be counted, even if we vote for parties that we disagree with on some aspects, and let the government know that we are going to hold them accountable and take our vote seriously.

The manifestos are never usually released this early, they will be released when the election campaigning officially starts on 1 April. (never a more apt day!)

Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:42 pm

I think voting should be compulsory. But only if there is a box saying "none of the above tossers". Or something similar.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:55 pm

Colourblind wrote:I think voting should be compulsory. But only if there is a box saying "none of the above tossers". Or something similar.

Very narrow minded. What about people who's religions/beliefs who oppose voting, such as Jehovah's.
Nobody should be forced to vote, maybe others don't vote as all politicians lie and go back on their word.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:40 pm

Depressed Blue wrote:Whisper it, but we decide how the country is run for the next 5 years in a month or so. Thought I'd make a thread.

Need I go on.

I'm in a similar boat, the party I agree most with is Plaid but there's things I disagree with them on and they have no chance of winning although the more mp's the better for Wales. Considering voting for Labour as they're the lesser of two evils with the tory scum but don't think I can bring myself to vote for them because I disagree too strongly with too many things they've done/plan to do.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:17 pm

Bluebirds-1927 wrote:
Colourblind wrote:I think voting should be compulsory. But only if there is a box saying "none of the above tossers". Or something similar.

Very narrow minded. What about people who's religions/beliefs who oppose voting, such as Jehovah's.
Nobody should be forced to vote, maybe others don't vote as all politicians lie and go back on their word.

I think it was a joke bud :thumbright:

Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:03 pm

UKIP for me. Whatever anyone thinks of Farage, he was the only one with the balls to stand up to the European Parliament for the good of our country and he will look after the British people better than anyone else imo.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:50 pm

wez1927 wrote:Always voted Labour but will be voting ukip as a protest vote cause all the others are naf

Vote UKIP because you want to vote UKIP. Protest votes just serve to give a party you do not like a better opportunity to get into power.

If you usually vote Labour and protest vote for UKIP then it just helps the Conservatives. All well and good if you are happy for the Conservatives to get in.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:28 pm

Locally carved-up boundaries will ensure that 'the people' will not have any true influence on who runs the country after the May elections, so my suggestion is to vote for the candidate that "best represents" you and your needs/wants/political beliefs in your area

Honesty, integrity and accountability are rare qualities in our politician system and it is time to look at "who will serve us best locally" rather than mistakenly thinking about which manipulative (they have to be to get where they are! ;) ) party leader will make promises they have no intention of keeping once the election is over!

I've made my choice and (for the first time ever) I researched my candidates and was surprised at how two candidates have influenced major changes in my community without the credit they so richly deserve. One of those will get my vote! :thumbup:

Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:15 am

UKIP Protest vote.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:22 am

nubbsy wrote:
Bluebirds-1927 wrote:

I think it was a joke bud :thumbright:

oops :oops: haha

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:44 am

Why not go for someone else as a protest vote? UKIP are just racist scum, surely Plaid or even maybe the greens would be a better vote if you didn't want to vote for labour/tory scum

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:27 am

antill_dunning wrote:Why not go for someone else as a protest vote? UKIP are just racist scum, surely Plaid or even maybe the greens would be a better vote if you didn't want to vote for labour/tory scum

UKIP for me - before this island of ours sinks due to overloading of the population. :twisted:

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:45 am

They're just a bunch of tories who are too tory for the tories who don't give a f**k about normal people and would carry on looking after each other. Do you think they would help sort out Wales? They'll just let people using tax avoidance carry on and that causes more damage than people claiming welfare or immigrants. I agree that unskilled immigrants should be restricted but without immigrants so many of our public services would fall apart.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:42 am

I'm not up to speed on the unemployment figures, but surely there are enough people already in this once great country of ours to do the work that's out there. As for the public services, I think the councils will be cutting back on the numbers of staff they employ, due to their budget cut backs.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:46 am

I've never heard of the Grimsby MP Austin Mitchell. He is not standing in this election but someone wrote this about him today:

"I am going to miss the veteran Labour MP Austin Mitchell, the man who always says the wrong thing and who once, for a glorious period, changed his surname to Haddock to highlight the fishing industry. I’m not sure Mr Mitchell was entirely helpful when he was quoted saying that any Labour candidate, even a “raving alcoholic sex paedophile” would get elected here."

:lol:
Last edited by Depressed Blue on Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:48 am

mjw6150 wrote:Like yourself, I find myself stuck in a position where I like and dislike things about some of the parties with no party truly aligning with my views. I sympathise with some of your opinions there and the tug between one way and another.

It's hard for a party to meet someones view totally so the best thing is to pick the things that matter most and see what the parties think about those matters and let the rest go.

The most important thing for me is to vote. The parties take my age group (20s) for granted because of the rate of people my age who vote and give the older generations more because they do vote. It's time for everyone to stand up and be counted, even if we vote for parties that we disagree with on some aspects, and let the government know that we are going to hold them accountable and take our vote seriously.

The manifestos are never usually released this early, they will be released when the election campaigning officially starts on 1 April. (never a more apt day!)

Ye, I think that is what I'm going to have to do.

April the 1st :lol:

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:48 am

Everybody is free to vote who they want but my only hope is that people don't vote blindly or waste protest votes. It's worth doing your research into each candidate. UKIP are not a protest vote in my opinion. They are more Tory than anyone. They're basically Tory Lite... not even that.

Don't ignore independent candidates either. Some of the best MPs to enter parliament have been independent. This could be one of the most pivotal elections of this generation so just do your research. Protests votes will only work in favour of the big parties.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:51 am

Mr Bean wrote:I'm not up to speed on the unemployment figures, but surely there are enough people already in this once great country of ours to do the work that's out there. As for the public services, I think the councils will be cutting back on the numbers of staff they employ, due to their budget cut backs.

the jobs that you say British people could do, they aren't willing to do. Why earn minimum wage in a factory when you can claim for everything under the sun and sit on your arse. The shit jobs are done by immigrants because they want to work and don't mind what they do

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:51 am

For some jobs yes and those jobs should be prioritised for local people but the NHS would fall apart without immigrants and if we left the eu then all the british citizens living there would have to move back anyway. Ye the councils are making cuts and I think a lot of staff have left but that's the excessive cuts the tories are making which ukip probably would carry on with.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:11 pm

Zabier wrote:Everybody is free to vote who they want but my only hope is that people don't vote blindly or waste protest votes. It's worth doing your research into each candidate. UKIP are not a protest vote in my opinion. They are more Tory than anyone. They're basically Tory Lite... not even that.

Don't ignore independent candidates either. Some of the best MPs to enter parliament have been independent. This could be one of the most pivotal elections of this generation so just do your research. Protests votes will only work in favour of the big parties.

Yes but mate you must know that the majority of people who do vote do so blindly. I've asked people at work about different policies of people they are voting for and they haven't got a clue they just like one thing and think f**k it

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:41 pm

nubbsy wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:I'm not up to speed on the unemployment figures, but surely there are enough people already in this once great country of ours to do the work that's out there. As for the public services, I think the councils will be cutting back on the numbers of staff they employ, due to their budget cut backs.

the jobs that you say British people could do, they aren't willing to do. Why earn minimum wage in a factory when you can claim for everything under the sun and sit on your arse. The shit jobs are done by immigrants because they want to work and don't mind what they do

Nubbsy - totally agree mate - that's why as a country (not me) we should not be allowing these people to sit on their arse and be claiming benefits, then we wouldn't be relying on immigrants to do their jobs.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:27 pm

nubbsy wrote:
Zabier wrote:Everybody is free to vote who they want but my only hope is that people don't vote blindly or waste protest votes. It's worth doing your research into each candidate. UKIP are not a protest vote in my opinion. They are more Tory than anyone. They're basically Tory Lite... not even that.

Yes but mate you must know that the majority of people who do vote do so blindly. I've asked people at work about different policies of people they are voting for and they haven't got a clue they just like one thing and think f**k it

Fall for the media circus isn't it. I wonder how many people voting for UKIP know that if they got into power they would want to privatise the NHS? Yes, Farage has stated they wouldn't but it's in their manifesto and it's repeatedly being voted on within their party. In my opinion, any party that wants to privatise the NHS is scum. The NHS is one of the best things the UK has ever produced. Putting a price on healthcare is absolutely diabolical and backwards.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:02 pm

Zabier wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

Fall for the media circus isn't it. I wonder how many people voting for UKIP know that if they got into power they would want to privatise the NHS? Yes, Farage has stated they wouldn't but it's in their manifesto and it's repeatedly being voted on within their party. In my opinion, any party that wants to privatise the NHS is scum. The NHS is one of the best things the UK has ever produced. Putting a price on healthcare is absolutely diabolical and backwards.

Exactly they are playing on people's frustrations and the first right wing party in a while that can put their point across

Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:05 pm

Zabier wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

What he said^ :notworthy:

Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:17 pm

antill_dunning wrote:Why not go for someone else as a protest vote? UKIP are just racist scum, surely Plaid or even maybe the greens would be a better vote if you didn't want to vote for labour/tory scum

Makes sense. UKIP are right wing tories with two policies: 1. Get UK out of Europe 2. Blame everything on immigrants. Not capable of running the country.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:27 pm

UKIP. Stop immigration full stop and more importantly stop Muslim migration into the country.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:34 pm

Hova wrote:UKIP. Stop immigration full stop and more importantly stop Muslim migration into the country.
.. UKIP :thumbup:

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:37 pm

UKIP FOR ME :thumbup: