Re: messi or maradona ?

Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:44 pm

Maradona for me. :thumbright:

Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:48 pm

Maradona

Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:00 pm

Maradona. If he was playing today, he would break every record. You were aloud to tackle back when he was playing. He had the shit kicked out of him nearly every game. The top players today are a lot more protected, so they can express themselves a lot easier. Messi is up there with the greatest, certainly the best of his era, but maradona is the greatest of them all imo

Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:05 am

wez1927 wrote:His 2 nd goal in that game was the best ever goal I've seen

What makes that goal better than Messi's vs Getafe?

Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:42 am

VincentTanOut wrote:

cause it was in a world cup and England's defence at the time was one of the best in the world ,let's face it getafe are Shit

Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:43 am

mr'mogreenz wrote:Maradona. If he was playing today, he would break every record. You were aloud to tackle back when he was playing. He had the shit kicked out of him nearly every game. The top players today are a lot more protected, so they can express themselves a lot easier. Messi is up there with the greatest, certainly the best of his era, but maradona is the greatest of them all imo
agree

Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:46 am

The Argentine public know the answer ;) Maradona

Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:25 pm

Not even close Maradona :thumbup:

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:54 am

wez1927 wrote:
VincentTanOut wrote:

cause it was in a world cup and England's defence at the time was one of the best in the world ,let's face it getafe are Shit

:lol: :thumbup:

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:14 am

I'm old enough to remember Maradona in his prime, however, I give it to Messi - Messi is a football genius!

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:51 am

Where does that leave the greatest ever namely George Best? You talk about tackling, people tried to break his legs week in week out when it was allowed and encouraged by the way in the 1960's !!! A genius on the floor, perfect body movement come off either foot, blistering acceleration, great in the air and a fearless tackler.His problem ,he never played in a world cup finals stage. Have a look at Northern Ireland vs Scotland 1967 home international at Windsor Park Belfast, he takes a very,very good Scottish team apart on his own. Ask Benfica fans about his performance at the stadium of light in 1965 or go on you tube have a look, have at look at this when he past his prime!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytSt7EnHhXc

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:00 pm

The standard was worse back then and maybe Maradona had a little bit more time/space than
in todays game take nothing away hes a little bit tougher than messi
Fantastic ability but you see these guys messi and ronaldo scoring ridiculous amounts of goals
in the league.
The records speak for themselves at least in club football, arguably Maradona was more famous for his international game

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:04 pm

Jimmy Scoular wrote:Where does that leave the greatest ever namely George Best? You talk about tackling, people tried to break his legs week in week out when it was allowed and encouraged by the way in the 1960's !!! A genius on the floor, perfect body movement come off either foot, blistering acceleration, great in the air and a fearless tackler.His problem ,he never played in a world cup finals stage. Have a look at Northern Ireland vs Scotland 1967 home international at Windsor Park Belfast, he takes a very,very good Scottish team apart on his own. Ask Benfica fans about his performance at the stadium of light in 1965 or go on you tube have a look, have at look at this when he past his prime!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytSt7EnHhXc

Best was easily the best player never to play in a world cup which was a real shame

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:04 pm

Jimmy Scoular wrote:Where does that leave the greatest ever namely George Best? You talk about tackling, people tried to break his legs week in week out when it was allowed and encouraged by the way in the 1960's !!! A genius on the floor, perfect body movement come off either foot, blistering acceleration, great in the air and a fearless tackler.His problem ,he never played in a world cup finals stage. Have a look at Northern Ireland vs Scotland 1967 home international at Windsor Park Belfast, he takes a very,very good Scottish team apart on his own. Ask Benfica fans about his performance at the stadium of light in 1965 or go on you tube have a look, have at look at this when he past his prime!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytSt7EnHhXc

Best was easily the best player never to play in a world cup which was a real shame

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:14 pm

Best was a great player allright but in my opinion behind maybe the greatest trio of all time:-

Maradona
Pele
Cruyff

Though Messi is knocking on the door!

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:15 pm

I was born aftern maradonna but simply due to the hand of god against England I will go for him

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:45 pm

City Slicker wrote:Best was a great player allright but in my opinion behind maybe the greatest trio of all time:-

Maradona
Pele
Cruyff

And another player who doesn't get the reckoning he deserves and that's Gerd Muller a proper goalscorer. :thumbright:

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:49 pm

messi by far

Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:51 am

Rydogsccfc wrote:
City Slicker wrote:Best was a great player allright but in my opinion behind maybe the greatest trio of all time:-

Maradona
Pele
Cruyff

And another player who doesn't get the reckoning he deserves and that's Gerd Muller a proper goalscorer. :thumbright:

Quite true! Gerd Mueller, "Der Bomber" Perhaps the greatest striker ever seen! He was the ultimate fox in the box. Also, in those days he played with a midfielder who on occasions could be considered up near the best.....Gunther Netzer. His range of passing and midfield control was incomparable,

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:31 am

Messi greatest player to ever play football. We should just sit back and enjoy him while he's playing. Plus remember Messi is just reaching his prime.

Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:46 am

Given Maradona's proven drug abuse I will never acknowledge him as the greatest of all time. I believe Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, given how the game has evolved, are the greatest players to have ever played the game. I don't buy this "they haven't done it on the international stage like Pele or Maradona". The international stage is a completely different beast these days. There are more teams at tournaments, more countries are competitive, and the set up of international sides is a lot more clinical than it used to be.

Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:34 pm

City Slicker wrote:
Rydogsccfc wrote:

Maradona
Pele
Cruyff

Quite true! Gerd Mueller, "Der Bomber" Perhaps the greatest striker ever seen! He was the ultimate fox in the box. Also, in those days he played with a midfielder who on occasions could be considered up near the best.....Gunther Netzer. His range of passing and midfield control was incomparable,

Agree that German Team was unstoppable but their biggest threat was the Netherlands that Germany narrowly beat in the world cup final and they were at their peak in the 70s because the majority of that team was Bayern Munich's when they won the European Cup 3 times in a row and the Bundesliga every year and no one has beaten Gerd Muller's goal scoring record in Germany since. :thumbright:

Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:24 pm

The Dutch lost the 1974 final because, simply put, they wanted to humiliate the Germans who they loathe(the war).I watched that final as a 13 year old and they literally wanted to walk the ball into the net whereas prior to the final they were scoring from 30 yards, 20 yards.