Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CARDIFF CITY FC ' NEW CLUB CREST/BADGE '

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:07 am

Cardiff City have unveiled the new club crest that will be used from the start of next season.

The new badge, in the shape of the traditional shield, features the bluebird as the most dominant image, but also has a smaller red dragon upon it.

It features the name of the club Cardiff City FC across the top. Nostalgia buffs may be pleased to note it is the same shape lettering that used to be on the Grandstand to welcome fans to Ninian Park.

The badge will feature upon the newly reinstated blue home shirts from 2015-16 and a variety of other merchandise.

However, it still features a touch of the red Vincent Tan believes in, this time in the form of a red band around the edge and the dragon itself.

The badge was developed in house and a club statement this morning read: “Decisions were made with a view to producing a crest that everyone associated with Cardiff City could identify with and embrace.

“Our primary focus throughout the design and testing process was for the crest to demonstrate strong, historic links, while the modern and focused design is also seen as a strong visual step forward for Cardiff City.

“We very much hope you enjoy the final results, which includes the return to prominence of the Bluebird, as linked to the welcome return to traditional colours in January 2015.”

Cardiff City's new crest compared to the one currently in use
Of the smaller dragon, the club say: “It was created using three distinct influences, with a view to showcasing a design that was very much unique to Cardiff City.

“Projecting our Welsh heritage, the stance was taken from the national flag, as has been seen on our crest or shirt for a number of years. Celebrating Asian linked culture, design and tradition influences, we also looked to create a dragon that could be primarily owned and appreciated locally.

“To achieve this the main influence was drawn from the dragon placed on top of Cardiff City Hall, as has been the case since 1904. The dragon has been integral to the Welsh capital for over one hundred years.”

Re: CARDIFF CITY NEW CLUB CREST

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:09 am

whats the stupid worm about ! looks nice apart from that on bottom

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:09 am

I LIKE IT :thumbright: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:10 am

Forever Blue wrote:I LIKE IT :thumbright: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Annis it's fine! that dragon is no problem. It's well proportioned, simple and the Bluebird is prominent.

Re: CARDIFF CITY FC 'NEW CLUB CREST'

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:13 am

Not bad at all. Quite acceptable. Let's all move on now.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:14 am

:thumbright: :thumbright: :bluescarf: no problem with the that! Got to be reasonable need glasses to see dragon! :geek:

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:15 am

Tans been fair, and given up a lot, as I've said before a badge isn't that important to me, but that should keep even the most anal people happy !!!

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:15 am

Nothing like I expected. Not sure if I like it yet.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:17 am

I think it's excellent. I like the reasoning behind the various components too - I didn't realise at first that it was the old font from the back of the grandstand at Ninian Park!

I'm sure some people will moan, but I think they've got this one just about spot on. :ayatollah:

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:18 am

Excellent badge, but don't tell VT that the dragon has his tail pointing up, making it a Welsh one :thumbup:

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:19 am

Should have just given us our old badge back. That one looked like a proper badge

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:21 am

Fair play, they have done well to bring this back to how it should be. Well done Mr Tan.

If anybody moans about this then I think you should go support somebody else - now its definately time to move on and worry about whats happening on the pitch!

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:21 am

I like it

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:23 am

I like it, but what's with the dragon worm ?

Bluebird1977 wrote:I like it

Even 1977 is happy :shock:

:bluescarf: :thumbup:

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:24 am

scooby1973 wrote:I like it, but what's with the dragon worm ?

It's a small price to pay, a nod to the owner who the club owe £130'000'000!

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:25 am

Everybody on facebook casually forgetting that the "worm" has been outside Cardiff City Hall for a good few years now. "nothing to do with Cardiff" my arse.

Looks good. modernised while keeping our history. I don't think the red border looks great around the inside but as it;s our away colours now that's fair enough.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:27 am

GSO Cardiff City wrote:Image

Everybody on facebook casually forgetting that the "worm" has been outside Cardiff City Hall for a good few years now. "nothing to do with Cardiff" my arse.

Looks good. modernised while keeping our history. I don't think the red border looks great around the inside but as it;s our away colours now that's fair enough.

:ayatollah:

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:28 am

I have never had anything good to say about Tan, but in fairness he has compromised by giving us back our rightful colours, and the badge is fine - the dragon is pretty insignificant and it would be petty to start moaning about it. Has to be a bit of give and take, he is the owner after all and perhaps he is making an attempt to unite the fans and the club officials again.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:30 am

V happy with big Bluebird, dragon isn't too bad but why didn't they get a proper design agency? Ah well it's far better than last one.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:30 am

Gavin wrote:
Bluebird1977 wrote:I like it

Even 1977 is happy :shock:

It's a first gav :laughing6:

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:31 am

I like it :ayatollah:
Even the red boarder or dragon don't look out of place.
Heres a launch video which I think is really cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S5NE5u ... e=youtu.be

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:32 am

It's not the greatest but we wanted a big blue bird and we got it

Re: ' CARDIFF CITY FC 'NEW CLUB CRES/BADGE '

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:34 am

The videos good too;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S5NE5u ... e=youtu.be

Re: CARDIFF CITY FC ' NEW CLUB CRES/BADGE '

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:37 am

If we get Adidas as well, we'll sell an absolute shit load of merchandise.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:37 am

Gavin wrote:

Annis it's fine! that dragon is no problem. It's well proportioned, simple and the Bluebird is prominent.

Totally agree Gavin :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

After what we have had the last 3 years,this is Superb :thumbright:

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:38 am

Why have we got a worm under our Bluebird ?

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:39 am

pembroke allan wrote:

:thumbright: :thumbright: :bluescarf: no problem with the that! Got to be reasonable need glasses to see dragon! :geek:

:lol: :thumbright: :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:40 am

Dragon looks like something on a Disney cartoon.

Not bad though overall.

Could have been a lot worse.