Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' HE DESERVES MORE CREDIT '

Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:17 am

' Cardiff City star keeper David Marshall deserves more credit from fans after years of producing stunning saves '

Friday 27 February 2015

By Scott Johnson

David Marshall has made some amazing saves for Cardiff City

They say that familiarity breeds contempt. Well, David Marshall has now been with Cardiff City a long time. So long, in fact, that he was actually a Dave Jones signing.

He never played at Ninian Park but we’ve had him as long as we’ve had the Cardiff City Stadium. Both debuted in the summer of 2009 and both have served the club well.

Marshall has been one of the few constants, so why is he not treasured by the Cardiff City faithful?

During the winter transfer window, Marshall was the subject of transfer speculation and the general response appeared to be a shrug of the shoulders. Sidelined throughout January, Simon Moore proved a decent deputy during his run in the side, so the consensus seemed to be that he is a worthy successor and that the club should cash in on Marshall, given the opportunity.

Despite outrage at the cost cutting measures taking place, Marshall was considered disposable in some quarters, a luxury item.

Well, I feel the need to weigh in here to defend Scotland’s number one.

There seems to be a school of thought that goalkeepers grow on trees and are easy to replace.

Those people should remember back to when Cardiff sold Neil Alexander and how long it took to find an adequate replacement.

Michael Oakes, Ross Turnbull, Peter Enckelman, David Forde and Dimi Konstantopoulos all flopped before Marshall’s arrival. Whereas, the last five and a half years or so have been in relatively safe hands.

There have certainly been plenty of peaks and troughs during this time, losing his place to Tom Heaton at one stage, but Marshall has also significantly improved as the years have passed.

He makes fewer mistakes and although collecting crosses remains a weakness, he no longer flaps at them like he once did.

He has learned his trade in South Wales and has become an accomplished keeper now entering his prime.

Malky Mackay considered him “immense” and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer described him as “outstanding”, embellishing his praise by claiming: “I wouldn’t swap him for anyone.”

His stock has certainly never been higher than it was in the second half of last season, when he single-handedly kept Cardiff competitive at times.

There was joy when he signed a new, long-term deal in February and outrage when he missed out on the Premier League Team of the Year.

A £15m price tag was slapped on him, which was a ridiculous sum and it was no surprise that there were no takers. But every player has their price and he certainly deserved to remain in the top flight as much as Fraizer Campbell, Steven Caulker or Jordon Mutch.

But like Peter Whittingham, he seems content at Cardiff and that kind of loyalty should be cherished.

The truth of the matter is that he was neither as good as he was considered in the summer or as disposable as he is sometimes regarded. He is instead somewhere in between; a good goalkeeper and probably Cardiff’s best player.

He is also captain and, in the coming months, likely to be one of Russell Slade’s most important players.

Marshall may not be used as target practice like he was in the Premier League but he will be called upon to make big saves in big games if Cardiff are to keep their heads above water.

Since returning to the side, Cardiff have recorded three consecutive clean sheets with Marshall called upon to make a brilliant save at Huddersfield to keep former Cardiff captain Mark Hudson at bay and a couple of late saves to secure a rare away win at Wigan.

It’s remarkable that Marshall has been with the club for so long and some supporters still seem to be undecided as to whether he is any good or not. Well, he is good and we’re lucky to have him.

The procession of mercenaries and sub-standard imports that have passed through the club in the last few years have only made me more appreciative and glad that his residency in the Cardiff goal continues.

It’s time to start showing Marshall some more respect and appreciation because he would certainly be missed if his absence had been permanent, rather than temporary.

Re: ' HE DESERVES MORE CREDIT '

Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:34 am

What a silly title :lol: Marshall gets all the credit he deserves, the majority of fans think that he's a brilliant keeper and those that don't think that he is at least a very good one, as far as I'm aware he has never been shown any disrespect at his time here, even when he had an average run of games. He has been made captain and given a long lucrative contract, how much more credit can a keeper get?? :lol:

Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:34 am

Couldn't agree more - Marshall has been outstanding for us year in, year out. It would be a massive task to replace him with somebody better in the City goal. :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:25 am

widely thought of as the best keeper in the premier league last season.

THis guy Scott guy is an idiot

Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:55 am

Marshall is the best City keeper in the last 50 years. Only Ron Healey comes anywhere near him

Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:56 am

Marshall fantastic Goakeeper and we are lucky to still have him at our club :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:00 am

"During the winter transfer window, Marshall was the subject of transfer speculation and the general response appeared to be a shrug of the shoulders."
I dont think it was a shrug of shoulders, i think we thought he was going to be sold in the cost cutting and we couldnt stop it from happening.
He gets 100% respect from me as he's top class, and deserves to be playing Premier League football, but sticks with us.
MARSHALL IS A BLUEBIRD :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:07 am

In my view he encourages city to play hoof ball by insisting on kicking the ball long,straight down the middle, his distribution is not always what it should be,but saying that I consider him to be the best goalkeeper in the championship

Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:12 pm

was happy for marshall to go simply i felt he deserved top flight football.....the only player to be consistant... :ayatollah:

Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:58 pm

Take a look at any "great" club, past or present, you will always find a "great" keeper, Schmeichal was probably the reason for many of Man U's title wins. There is an argument that Marshall's absence from the team this season cost us valuable points (in no way criticising the quality of our other keepers!).

Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:39 pm

"Michael Oakes, Ross Turnbull, Peter Enckelman, David Forde and Dimi Konstantopoulos all flopped"

I for one was glad Marshall went nowhere however maybe we were to eager to write off some of the above bearing in mind that Turnbull went on to play for Chelsea, Forde is still playing in the Championship for Millwall and playing for the Republic of Ireland and Konstantopoulos is in fine form for Middlesbrough also into this category comes Stephen Bywater who went on to play over 200 games for Derby and West Ham.

Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:54 pm

actually just read that all the way through and am even more convinced that the guy is a total moron

Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:00 pm

paulh_85 wrote:widely thought of as the best keeper in the premier league last season.

THis guy Scott guy is an idiot

Paul, I agree with you.