Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Tan seems to be running FK Sarajevo well

Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:48 pm

Turkish Airlines break sponsorship records with Bosnia's FK Sarajevo

By Mark Baber

Thursday February 26th 2015

Vincent Tan's FK Sarajevo has joined Barcelona, Manchester United, Feyenoord and Borussia Dortmund as a recipient of sponsorship from the fast-growing Turkish Airlines in a three and a half year deal reported to be the most lucrative ever in Bosnian sport.

The deal, which will see the airline's name on the club shirt, was announced at a ceremony in Sarajevo at which Dino Selimović, General Manager of the club, owned by Malaysian businessman Vincent Tan, said: "It is my great honor and pleasure to speak first on behalf of Sarajevo FC during a historical press conference in a time when national companies are not in position to help sports.

"Until recently Sarajevo FC had some serious financial problems, which threatened to close us but we have, with great amount of will, love and great energy, managed to turn around the situation in the Club in the last four years. I would like to use this opportunity to thank the local team of Turkish Airlines, which sent our proposal to their central office in Istanbul. I'm endlessly happy and proud of all the people who participated in this project, on which we worked for more than two months. I express my gratitude to Turkish Airlines and assure them that they will be satisfied with this cooperation."

The President of the Board of Directors of the Sarajevo FC, Edis Kusturica, pointed to the historical nature and wider implications of the deal for Bosnia, saying: "This is one of the most important moments in the history of Sarajevo and we are all proud. Beside the fact that it is the sport event, it is also a business event helping us to send a message that BiH isn't a black hole. Working good, having good ideas and honest intentions, we can also find good partners outside of our country."

Turkish Airlines also acknowledged the historical significance of the deal. Ahmet Salih Kansu, Director for Bosnia and Herzegovina said: "I am happy because we signed the contract. I am particularly glad that we did it with a Club from the Balkans because we have strong historical connections with this region."

Ziya Taskent, Senior Vice-President of Marketing and Sales for the region said: "Because of our historical, cultural and economic ties, Sarajevo is more than just a destination. On the other hand, football is much more than just a sport. We all know that football is the thing which unites all people in the world no matter what. Today we are at the place where the two world brands will sign their cooperation in front of you."

The deal comes as Turkish Airlines report a tripling of profits, even before the full effects of recent oil price decreases filter through. The airline is planning a $3 billion investment programme and is reportedly in talks with Malaysia Airlines over leasing aircraft to meet rising demand.

The airline will be pleased to see its sponsorship activities in the headlines, after a week in which its chief executive has been called to appear before UK parliament's House of Commons select committee over its ferrying of brainwashed schoolgirls to join ISIS in Syria

Re: Tan seems to be running FK Sarajevo well

Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:47 pm

I wish he had run Cardiff City well, I forgot he likes them :lol:

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:01 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I wish he had run Cardiff City well, I forgot he likes them :lol:

We end up with visit Malaysia on our shirts for free :lol: :lol:

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:09 pm

Leytonstoneblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:I wish he had run Cardiff City well, I forgot he likes them :lol:

We end up with visit Malaysia on our shirts for free :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:12 pm

Sarajevo fc is about his level. Because he's way out of his depth when it comes to British clubs with history and culture he can only dream of. I don't usually get involved with all this "love tan hate tan bollocks" but seeing the debt we are now in since he's been owner has fuked me right off. Sarajevo ffs who the f**k are they? Didn't we bomb them one time or something? Kunts