Martin Sheen

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Martin Sheen

Postby BlueGog » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:27 am

Michael Sheen’s Valleys Rebellion
Sheen’s brilliant documentary from last night begins with him saying, ‘175 years ago, 5,000 armed working men marched down through the South Wales Valleys to the centre of power at the time – Newport. They marched because they believed that the political system had failed them. They marched because they wanted their voices to be heard. They wanted representation. They demanded the right to vote.’
That day, 22 of those men, the Chartists, were shot dead. They had marched on Newport to demand a people’s charter. A bill of rights for all people, shaped by the people, not just those at the top. Their sacrifice certainly influenced the rights and values that we all enjoy today. But increasingly, less and less people are voting, as the gap between the rich and the poor is widening.
Michael Sheen raises the question, ‘What’s wrong with democracy?’, and it’s no secret that Plaid Cymru sees that the Shades of Westminster Grey are increasingly not representing the people.
Personally, I see that there’s no disengagement with issues and things which actually matter. The internet and mass media have increased people’s awareness of the world and what’s going on. Certainly, when I’m out knocking doors, people so are engaged with the issues, but they are disengaged from political parties.
Wales is packed full of vibrant and politically engaged people who deserve better. We hear the same sound bites and same clichés time and time again, which leave people feeling indifferent about politics, a tactic which allows the Tories, Lib-Dems and Labour to administer savage cuts to our communities and the most vulnerable in our society.
Owen Jones says that the problem is that the ‘burning flame of hope’, which is vital in order to inspire people to become politically active and stand up for their rights, ‘has been taken away from people.’ … ‘Often those who need democracy the most are the ones least likely to engage with it.’
If we want to change things for the better, then we are going to have to fight for it. I am absolutely up for that fight, and I hope that you are to.
BlueGog

Martin Sheen

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Martin Sheen

Postby blue for you » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:35 am

Watched it last night and thought it was superb. I had no idea that there was a mural erected as a mark of rememberance - then Newport council tore it down without any public consultation,disgusting action as far as I'm concerned.
It was a good history lesson that I shall be educating my children about. Well done Mr sheen
Just because I'm paranoid it doesn't mean they're not talking about me
blue for you

Postby since64 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:57 am

Sadly people would be more interested in Sheens pavlova than anything that happened 175 years ago,and as for modern day politics :roll:
since64

Postby AfricanBluebird » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:01 am

Michael
AfricanBluebird

Postby blue lagoon » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:36 pm

He talked about the flame of hope. Should that be up to people to motivate themselves to want a better way of life. Surely to blame government for everything is wrong.
WE'LL ALWAYS BE BLUE!
blue lagoon

Postby llangainbluebird » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:13 pm

AfricanBluebird wrote:Michael

Martin Sheen was in Apocalypse Now.
llangainbluebird

Postby ThomasC » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:27 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:
AfricanBluebird wrote:Michael

Martin Sheen was in Apocalypse Now.

I was wondering which son he had snuffed out :laughing6:
ThomasC

Postby powysblue » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:58 am

blue lagoon wrote:He talked about the flame of hope. Should that be up to people to motivate themselves to want a better way of life. Surely to blame government for everything is wrong.

Spot on :thumbup:

Blooobirds Forever !!! :bluescarf: :old:
powysblue

Return to General Chat