Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Our Defence '

Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:04 am

I've got a question for you all. It will be interesting to see what everyone thinks.

We have been quite critical (I include myself in this) of two things, amongst others, about Slade since he was appointed. The first is his decision to not play the likes of Fabio or Declan John and getting rid of John Brayford. The second is the lack of possession we have in each game.

However, this month we played 5 games, gone unbeaten for the entire month, and conceded just two goals. It could be argued that we've not played the best opposition but if we continue like this then we will stay up with ease.

Have we been too critical of Slade's tactics or is there method behind the madness? Has he noticed we don't have a significant amount of fire power (and clearly didn't have the budget to afford better midfielders in the transfer window) so is relying on a tight defence and counter attacking football? Or is he too cautious?

Personally, I like what he has done with the defence. It could be said that it is the return of Marshall and Manga that has contributed to that but the bottom line is that we've had three clean sheets in February which is fantastic for a mid-table team. However, I really think our midfield is below par for this division and until that improves we will be fighting an uphill struggle every game. I think Jones and Doyle could form a great strike partnership if given time.

Re: Our Defence

Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:18 am

Good post and i agree with more less everything you said. Defence is good now, our midfield isnt good enough to compete at the top and whitts and maybe gunnaraon need to be replaced in the summer if we are to challenge for promotion.
Doyle and jones seem a decent partnership but id like to see doyle and mcaleny up there see how they do

Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:22 am

see what your saying, but we have a striker whos played 10 years of premier league football and someone who already has 20 goals this season.

Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:43 am

Agree. The return of our two best players, Marshall and Manga has been crucial. I really hope we go for Swindon' s Aussie international Luongo in the summer. We were rumoured to have made a bid in the window. If Swindon go up he may not leave though...or a bottom half Premier team might go for him. A creative, goal-scoring midfielder...just the ticket!

Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:35 pm

Zabier wrote:I've got a question for you all. It will be interesting to see what everyone thinks.

We have been quite critical (I include myself in this) of two things, amongst others, about Slade since he was appointed. The first is his decision to not play the likes of Fabio or Declan John and getting rid of John Brayford. The second is the lack of possession we have in each game.

However, this month we played 5 games, gone unbeaten for the entire month, and conceded just two goals. It could be argued that we've not played the best opposition but if we continue like this then we will stay up with ease.

Have we been too critical of Slade's tactics or is there method behind the madness? Has he noticed we don't have a significant amount of fire power (and clearly didn't have the budget to afford better midfielders in the transfer window) so is relying on a tight defence and counter attacking football? Or is he too cautious?

Personally, I like what he has done with the defence. It could be said that it is the return of Marshall and Manga that has contributed to that but the bottom line is that we've had three clean sheets in February which is fantastic for a mid-table team. However, I really think our midfield is below par for this division and until that improves we will be fighting an uphill struggle every game. I think Jones and Doyle could form a great strike partnership if given time.

Agree with everything and think the return of manga and Marshall has helped but not sole reason, Moore did really well was immense at Shef weds. I like peltier, no nonsense committed defender and if you put that all together it's decent. :thumbup:

Re: ' Our Defence '

Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:06 pm

lets be realistic Manga and Marshall will not be here next season.

Jones is out of contract and on the downgrade - so will be gone. Noone doesn't look happy.

Whitts is on a lot of dosh and has two years to run. Gunnar may attract some interest.

We still have Macheda & Fabio on big bucks.

Re: ' Our Defence '

Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:47 pm

llan bluebird wrote:lets be realistic Manga and Marshall will not be here next season.

Jones is out of contract and on the downgrade - so will be gone. Noone doesn't look happy.

Whitts is on a lot of dosh and has two years to run. Gunnar may attract some interest.

We still have Macheda & Fabio on big bucks.

Players comes and go that's football. :bluescarf: