Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Cardiff Back in Court Vs Langston? '

Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:54 pm

Cardiff chairman Mehmet Dalman demands more information about Swiss-based company, who threaten legal action in return

Thursday 29th Jan 2015.

Cardiff City are set for another court conflict with former owner Sam Hammam, we can reveal.

A legal battle is looming over a £6million-plus figure still outstanding to creditors Langston.

Cardiff chairman Mehmet Dalman insists the club want to know exactly who Langston are before paying out any more money and have sent a letter demanding the information.

We understand Langston have retorted by saying a payment schedule is in place and Cardiff have until Friday to carry on with the agreement.

If the scheduled instalments are not forthcoming, Langston say they will embark upon a legal course again.

' Langston debt '

The unsavoury episode means the Bluebirds could be in direct confrontation with Hammam, who is the club’s president and a representative of Langston.

When the matter between the two parties originally went to the High Court in 2008, Mr Justice Briggs stated that, in effect, ‘Hamman was Langston’.

The Lebanese businessman was the Cardiff owner when £24m in loan notes were issued by Langston in 2004 and the debt was an issue for Vincent Tan when he took charge of the club.

Three years ago the two parties reached agreement on a £22m settlement, to be paid in the form of a £15m up front sum, followed by £7m in £250,000 quarterly instalments over seven years.

That payment schedule started last year, but more than £6m is still outstanding.

The club, through Dalman, have written to Langston to ask more about the company. Dalman also told the recent fans’ meeting, when the club agreed to revert back to blue, that Cardiff needed more information as to the exact make up of Langston.

The debt owed to the Swiss-based company has been hanging over the Bluebirds for many years, with even naming rights for Cardiff City Stadium were wrapped up in the negotiations.

Re: Cardiff Back in Court Vs Langston?

Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:34 pm

Cardiff chairman Mehmet Dalman demands more information about Swiss-based company, who threaten legal action in return

Thursday 29th Jan 2015.

Cardiff City are set for another court conflict with former owner Sam Hammam, we can reveal.

A legal battle is looming over a £6million-plus figure still outstanding to creditors Langston.

Cardiff chairman Mehmet Dalman insists the club want to know exactly who Langston are before paying out any more money and have sent a letter demanding the information.

We understand Langston have retorted by saying a payment schedule is in place and Cardiff have until Friday to carry on with the agreement.

If the scheduled instalments are not forthcoming, Langston say they will embark upon a legal course again.

Langston debt
The unsavoury episode means the Bluebirds could be in direct confrontation with Hammam, who is the club’s president and a representative of Langston.

When the matter between the two parties originally went to the High Court in 2008, Mr Justice Briggs stated that, in effect, ‘Hamman was Langston’.

The Lebanese businessman was the Cardiff owner when £24m in loan notes were issued by Langston in 2004 and the debt was an issue for Vincent Tan when he took charge of the club.

Three years ago the two parties reached agreement on a £22m settlement, to be paid in the form of a £15m up front sum, followed by £7m in £250,000 quarterly instalments over seven years.

That payment schedule started last year, but more than £6m is still outstanding.

The club, through Dalman, have written to Langston to ask more about the company. Dalman also told the recent fans’ meeting, when the club agreed to revert back to blue, that Cardiff needed more information as to the exact make up of Langston.

The debt owed to the Swiss-based company has been hanging over the Bluebirds for many years, with even naming rights for Cardiff City Stadium were wrapped up in the negotiations.[/quote]
something has changed or come to light for this to pop up again.Thought it was all paid off ?

Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:38 pm

wez1927 wrote:
darran1927 wrote:

Thursday 29th Jan 2015

Langston debt

The debt owed to the Swiss-based company has been hanging over the Bluebirds for many years, with even naming rights for Cardiff City Stadium were wrapped up in the negotiations.

something has changed or come to light for this to pop up again.Thought it was all paid off ?

The press said it was paid off, i did tell you before wez it was being paid monthly but fans always believe what the papers say sadly with the TAN PAYS LANGSTON OFF headline a few years back, hopefully its sorted out fast and we move on as all the negative shit should be gone now :(

Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:48 pm

No wonder he was saying it was going to be an eventful year :lol: odd though it did seem to be common knowledge that this was finished with and now it's back.

Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:55 pm

RFMH wrote:
No wonder he was saying it was going to be an eventful year :lol: odd though it did seem to be common knowledge that this was finished with and now it's back.

Common knowledge in the press you mean, obviously they was talking shit at the time saying it was all paid and so on :roll:

Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:59 pm

Can't believe this is still going on behind the scenes...the whole episode stank from the beginning

Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:15 pm

And to think that there are still people who would genuinely welcome Sam Hammam being involved in the running of our club again.

Beggars belief!

Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:32 pm

I really wished this had gone away.

If I'm honest I wouldn't be happy paying money to an unknown source.

I think it's for the best Langston take us to court and it be done once and for all. If it means administration then so be it.

Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:35 pm

And the circus rumbles on...

Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:38 pm

davids wrote:And to think that there are still people who would genuinely welcome Sam Hammam being involved in the running of our club again.

Beggars belief!

people believed tan had paid it all off according to the media at the time. He even said himself it was sorted
Last edited by Bluebird1977 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:40 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I really wished this had gone away.

I think it's for the best Langston take us to court and it be done once and for all. If it means administration then so be it.
only 6 million left no chance of administration ,but it just seems wired that the club have said this or is it just the echo or Sam hamman shit stirring

Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:04 pm

wez1927 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:I really wished this had gone away.

only 6 million left no chance of administration ,but it just seems wired that the club have said this or is it just the echo or Sam hamman shit stirring

Wez, it was suggested earlier (away from this Forum) that the Club are 'happy' for this to go to Court!

The reason? Apparently, it is alleged that such is the disdain that Tan has for Sam (and vice versa) he sees it as an opportunity to 'out' Langton and show the fans the truth about the whole unsavoury 'Loan Notes' saga

Is that right? I'm not sure and TBH I wasn't aware of the depth of the breakdown in their relationship, but I'm sure that I am one of many who would still like to know the FULL Langston story

It's not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things (i.e. within the whole Langston affair) so it does seem odd that it has come to the fore again at a time when so many other things are being 'straightened' at the club :?

Re: ' Cardiff Back in Court Vs Langston? '

Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:09 pm

Wez, I posted a long time ago on here that Tan had suddenly for No reason stopped paying the monthly payment. But I thought it was only £3mill owed not £6mill still owed :shock:

Tan stopped paying the money about the time he stopped coming to the stadium to matches.

Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:20 pm

Interesting development :? We all know that Tan could pay this if he wanted to so for him to be willing to expend big legal costs to avoid paying seems to indicate what a lot of us have said all along "Langston is dodgy".

I'm no expert on company law but doesn't any Ltd company have to take reasonable steps to ensure that any payments they make are not illegal e.g. Money laundering, terror organisations, etc ? I'm not saying for a minute that Langston falls into any of those categories, merely that the club is taking reasonable steps.

Anyone with more expertise than me that can correct me ?

Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:22 pm

piledriver64 wrote:Interesting development :? We all know that Tan could pay this if he wanted to so for him to be willing to expend big legal costs to avoid paying seems to indicate what a lot of us have said all along "Langston is dodgy".

I'm no expert on company law but doesn't any Ltd company have to take reasonable steps to ensure that any payments they make are not illegal e.g. Money laundering, terror organisations, etc ? I'm not saying for a minute that Langston falls into any of those categories, merely that the club is taking reasonable steps.

Anyone with more expertise than me that can correct me ?

If it was dodgy why would tan have been paying it to start with, hes stopped paying it hence the new court thing even though most thought it was paid in full already :bluescarf:
Last edited by Bluebird1977 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:22 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Wez, I posted a long time ago on here that Tan had suddenly for No reason stopped paying the monthly payment. But I thought it was only £3mill owed not £6mill still owed :shock:

Tan stopped paying the money about the time he stopped coming to the stadium to matches.
the echo article must be wrong than annis cause it Said we have been paying it and we are up to date but won't pay the one due this Friday tan hadn't been for a year but payments have been made tho

Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:35 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Wez, I posted a long time ago on here that Tan had suddenly for No reason stopped paying the monthly payment. But I thought it was only £3mill owed not £6mill still owed :shock:

the echo article must be wrong than annis cause it Said we have been paying it and we are up to date but won't pay the one due this Friday tan hadn't been for a year but payments have been made tho

Wez,

Langston would not take Tan to court,just for missing one payment,just rem what uve said in the past Wez,never believe in the Echo :lol:

Tan, has paid the majority of it after years of not wanting to, this has all happened since Tan has stopped coming to Cardiff.

Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:35 pm

Anyone who thought it was completely paid off it a complete mug. A quick look at the finances of the club would have told you everything you need to know about outstanding liabilities.

Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:38 pm

Seems a bit strange that they have been happy to make a number of payments to Langston but suddenly they are asking for more information about the company.

Maybe they should just read the earlier court judgement - the judge seemed pretty certain who Langston was!

Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:42 pm

Why do the club need more info on Langston now - doesn't make sense. Why would we have paid the majority of the debt off without having this knowledge - but now refusing to pay until we get the info. Seems to me that Tan is trying to renege on the debt. Yet another embarrassment for the club - it appears Tan wants to be in the news and is not bothered whether it is for the right or wrong reasons. :oops:

Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:44 pm

mugsy wrote:Why do the club need more info on Langston now - doesn't make sense. Why would we have paid the majority of the debt off without having this knowledge - but now refusing to pay until we get the info. Seems to me that Tan is trying to renege on the debt. Yet another embarrassment for the club - it appears Tan wants to be in the news and is not bothered whether it is for the right or wrong reasons. :oops:

Nothing like jumping to conclusions. You should apply for a role in Hollyoaks with dramatic performances like that.

Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:46 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Wez,

Langston would not take Tan to court,just for missing one payment,just rem what uve said in the past Wez,never believe in the Echo :lol:

Tan, has paid the majority of it after years of not wanting to, this has all happened since Tan has stopped coming to Cardiff.
I said it must be wrong as a million pound paid off is a years worth of quarterly payments and your saying it hasn't been paid since tan stopled going so either your wrong or the echo are

Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:48 pm

mugsy wrote:Why do the club need more info on Langston now - doesn't make sense. Why would we have paid the majority of the debt off without having this knowledge - but now refusing to pay until we get the info. Seems to me that Tan is trying to renege on the debt. Yet another embarrassment for the club - it appears Tan wants to be in the news and is not bothered whether it is for the right or wrong reasons. :oops:

Tan needs NO more info,he has paid over a £million checking Langston out and he knows them inside out.

There is much more to all this? ? ?

Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:51 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Wez,

I said it must be wrong as a million pound paid off is a years worth of quarterly payments and your saying it hasn't been paid since tan stopled going so either your wrong or the echo are

I actually dont know exactly what the amount owing is? as I said I thought it was only £3mill not £6mill? :shock: :shock:

Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:52 pm

Annis, unblock my PM's. I cant message you you bugger. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :lol:

Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:53 pm

blueminati wrote:Annis, unblock my PM's. I cant message you you bugger. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :lol:

I never knew they were locked, I will pm Carl/Owain now :thumbright: :thumbright:

Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:55 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Wez,

I actually dont know exactly what the amount owing is? as I said I thought it was only £3mill not £6mill? :shock: :shock:

Seems really strange all this as the club paid the 15 million up front and over a million in installments unless the club are pissed off with Sam for some reason since the layouts

Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:57 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Wez,

Seems really strange all this as the club paid the 15 million up front and over a million in installments unless the club are pissed off with Sam for some reason since the layouts

Whats even more weird Wez,that Sam goes to virtually every City away game and home game in the Directors box etc since Tan stopped?

Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:04 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
blueminati wrote:Annis, unblock my PM's. I cant message you you bugger. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :lol:

I never knew they were locked, I will pm Carl/Owain now :thumbright: :thumbright:

Nice one Annis. :ayatollah: :thumbright:

Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:05 pm

blueminati wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Nice one Annis. :ayatollah: :thumbright:

Ive pm you :thumbright: :bluescarf: