Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

O'Keefe signing is an interesting one

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:33 pm

From what I've read has a good engine and is a tidy player- still only 23 too, so looks a decent signing. palace fans seem to rate him and we've now got some options in the middle.
Seemed to help Blackpool as they had a win and 2 draws from the 4 games he was there - much better than their normal service !
Played a fair few games last year, and not too many the year before, but it's the age now when he should be kicking on. So fingers crossed !

I wonder what the fee is ?

What makes it most intriguing though is he's from Palace - so it looks like whatever issue was there is over now.

And yes I know Dikgachoi was too, but he was out of contract.

Re: O'Keefe signing is an interesting one

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:18 pm

Younger players with a point to prove so more of what I expect. Let's hope he does well.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:27 pm

its a lower calibre of player that we're signing nowadays. i suppose thats what we can look forward to now.

problem is you usually get what you pay for in football which doesn't bode well for us. it will be very difficult to mount a promotion campaign with these sorts of players we're signing.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:31 pm

SwampCCFC wrote:its a lower calibre of player that we're signing nowadays. i suppose thats what we can look forward to now.

problem is you usually get what you pay for in football which doesn't bode well for us. it will be very difficult to mount a promotion campaign with these sorts of players we're signing.

lower ? How did you work that we one out all of slades siging so far have been the best players on the pitch compared to the malky and ole players

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:39 pm

wez1927 wrote:
SwampCCFC wrote:its a lower calibre of player that we're signing nowadays. i suppose thats what we can look forward to now.

lower ? How did you work that we one out all of slades siging so far have been the best players on the pitch compared to the malky and ole players

So Stuart O'Keefe is better than Gary Medel?

Lee Peltier is better than John Brayford?

Alex Revell is better than Kenwyne Jones?

Robert Huth is better than Bruno Manga?

Scott Malone is better than Fabio?

It's a big no from me on all five.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:50 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Malone is better than Fabio as a defender
huth is a proven premier ship player but he hasn't signed yet
Peltier havnt seen him play yet but he could be but you havnt given him a chance yet ?
medal was great but your talking about a world class player that didn't want to play in the championship ,but o keefe could be an awesome signing for us

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:59 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Younger players with a point to prove so more of what I expect. Let's hope he does well.

:thumbup:

Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:45 am

2blue2handle wrote:Younger players with a point to prove so more of what I expect. Let's hope he does well.

this is what i want .... :ayatollah:

Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:12 pm

wez1927 wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Malone is better than Fabio as a defender
huth is a proven premier ship player but he hasn't signed yet
Peltier havnt seen him play yet but he could be but you havnt given him a chance yet ?
medal was great but your talking about a world class player that didn't want to play in the championship ,but o keefe could be an awesome signing for us

i'm better than Fabio mun! :laughing5:

Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:54 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

I assume you missed the memo about us now being in the Championship?

Why are you comparing O'Keefe to a player that is no longer at the club?

You should be asking......

Is Stuart O'Keefe better than Dikgacoi

Is Lee Peltier better than John Brayford?

Is Alex Revell better than Macheda?

Is Robert Huth better than Gabbidon

Is Scott Malone better than Fabio?

The players brought in are not replacing some of the better players that you named, they are replacing bench warmers.

Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:57 pm

wez1927 wrote:

Fully agree with this. Russell Slade is having all his best players offloaded and has been given the task of rebuilding the squad. I knew as soon as we signed O'Keefe that he's a tenacious midfielder with a great engine and Lawnmower's post confirms that. O'Keefe will give our midfield exactly what we are lacking. Slade gets so much unnecessary stick, but one thing everyone can't deny is Malone and Revell have been 2 cheap signings who have strengthened our squad. I think O'Keefe will be a great signing.

Remember, Slade made 30 free transfers to get Leyton Orient to the League 1 playoff final, an incredible achievement. Anyone watching that game would agree Slade would have taken Leyton Orient up too if it wasn't for Alex Revell. I think the more players Slade brings in, the more character, guts, energy and passion we will see on the pitch and the better our performances will become. Time will tell whether Slade's cheap replacements will be good enough to create a squad capable of challenging for the Premiership in the future, but I'm certain Slade will at least put together a squad of players who will give their all and please the fans.

Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:28 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Fully agree with this. Russell Slade is having all his best players offloaded and has been given the task of rebuilding the squad. I knew as soon as we signed O'Keefe that he's a tenacious midfielder with a great engine and Lawnmower's post confirms that. O'Keefe will give our midfield exactly what we are lacking. Slade gets so much unnecessary stick, but one thing everyone can't deny is Malone and Revell have been 2 cheap signings who have strengthened our squad. I think O'Keefe will be a great signing.

Remember, Slade made 30 free transfers to get Leyton Orient to the League 1 playoff final, an incredible achievement. Anyone watching that game would agree Slade would have taken Leyton Orient up too if it wasn't for Alex Revell. I think the more players Slade brings in, the more character, guts, energy and passion we will see on the pitch and the better our performances will become. Time will tell whether Slade's cheap replacements will be good enough to create a squad capable of challenging for the Premiership in the future, but I'm certain Slade will at least put together a squad of players who will give their all and please the fans.

my issue is not with slade, its that he is not being given the tools to do his job properly.

you are correct, his achievement to get orient to the final was an achievement. if he is forced to keep shipping out players and replacing them on the cheap, it will require another miracle to get promoted. i don't think lightning will strike twice as you tend to get what you pay for in football. keep buying players from lower championship and league one clubs and on the balance of probabilities you will end up there.

i think we will battle to mid table under these players. they may be working hard, but as they lack quality they will struggle to emulate the achievement of the 2012-13 season.

Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:32 pm

Really?

... Cornelius anyone? :laughing6:

Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:42 pm

latcher wrote:

Really?

... Cornelius anyone? :laughing6:

i said usually, you thicko.

Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:29 pm

Look at all the overpaid guff OLE signed? I know what I'd prefer.