Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

ITS OFFICIAL ' Cardiff City Sign Premier midfielder '

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:58 pm

Undisclosed fee, deal until 2017 :ayatollah:

UPDATED 28TH JANUARY 4.10pm :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Cardiff City Football Club is pleased to announce the signing of Stuart O’Keefe from Crystal Palace, subject to international clearance, for an undisclosed fee.

Midfielder Stuart becomes Russell Slade’s fourth signing of the January transfer window and has committed himself to the Bluebirds in a two and a half year deal that will take him through to the summer of 2017.

The 23 year-old, born in Suffolk, began his professional career at Southend United in 2008. He signed for Palace two years later, prior to a brief loan spell with Blackpool in the earlier part of the 2014/15 season.

Speaking exclusively to Cardiff City Player, Stuart said: “I’m really happy to be a Cardiff City player.

"I enjoyed my four years at Palace, but I wanted to come here now for a new challenge. I’m 23 and I felt it was the right time to take the next step in my career.”

Commenting on his strengths as a player, Stuart added: “I like to bring a bit of energy to midfield and keep the ball moving in that area of the park.

"That’s what my game is about and the Gaffer has asked me to come in and contribute to the side in that way.

“We’ve obviously got a big game coming up against Derby County and I’m feeling ready to get going straight away. Hopefully I’ll be involved and I’m looking forward to getting out there in a Cardiff City shirt.”

Stuart will wear the vacant number 22 shirt at Cardiff City.

Watch Stuart's first interview as a Bluebird on this week's edition of #InTheCity - this Thursday evening!

:ayatollah: UPDATED :ayatollah:

Stuart O'Keefe joins Cardiff City.
The Crystal Palace midfielder has agreed terms with the South Wales club and has passed a medical.
O'Keefe had been lined up for a January move to The Den by Ian Holloway but he has opted to move to the Bluebirds.

Medical Passed :ayatollah:

Cardiff City on the brink of signing Crystal Palace midfielder Stuart O’Keefe

Tues Jan 27, 2015

By Terry Phillips
Russell Slade is poised to bring in the Palace man as the Bluebirds boss seeks more bite and energy in his midfield

Cardiff City boss Russell Slade is set to make his fourth signing of the January transfer window by landing midfielder Stuart O’Keefe from Crystal Palace.

Manager Slade believes the 23-year-old battler can become a leading figure for the Bluebirds as they aim to stop their slide down the Championship.

Terms have been agreed with Palace and the Bluebirds hope to have O’Keefe in their squad for this Saturday’s home match against Derby County.

The final paperwork is being completed this afternoon and O’Keefe will train with his new club-mates over the next few days.

Cardiff badly need a lift in their misfiring midfield and O’Keefe will be asked to bring bite, energy and, most importantly, leadership in that area.

O’Keefe had a brief role as a substitute in Palace’s opening day Premier League clash with Arsenal, before starting the following game with West Ham.

He then spent a spell on loan with Blackpool between November 29 and December 20, before returning to Selhurst Park where he started the 4-0 FA Cup win over Dover on January 4.

The former Southend player has not featured under Alan Pardew since and will be Slade’s fourth signing since he took charge of Cardiff, following Scott Malone, Alex Revell and Lee Peltier.

Cardiff are still keen to bring in two more signings before the transfer window closes next Monday and German international defender Robert Huth, currently with Stoke, could yet be joining on loan.

Slade is also keen to sign a striker and has identified several targets. Joe Mason is back from his loan spell at Bolton, but will be in rehab for another few weeks as he recovers from a hamstring injury.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: 'Cardiff on verge of signing'

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:01 pm

Decent Signing. :ayatollah:

Re: 'Cardiff on verge of signing Premier midfielder'

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:09 pm

:thumbright: :bluescarf:

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:09 pm

No idea who he is but we've got to give him a chance we are lucky malky aint here or it would be (one for the future) :laughing6:

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:26 pm

Great signing

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:27 pm

We needed a midfielder. Hopefully he's the right player to help us out.

:ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:28 pm

'On the verge.......................'

Marcus Bent, Jodie Morris.....

I'd prefer to wait until I see him in a City shirt on the official site.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:30 pm

Who would have though just over a year ago, that some of our fans would be creaming over a Palace reject :laughing6:

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:33 pm

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=254242

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:43 pm

Palace fans rate him highly. Should be a decent signing.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:00 pm

This signing actually gets me excited!

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:00 pm

Just passed his medical, signing is imminent.
Fit as a flea , will be fittest player at cardiff.
Really excellent prospect.
I highly suspect he will do great for us.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:28 pm

Is it a loan deal ??

Re: UPDATED 'Cardiff on verge of signing Premier midfielder'

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:41 pm

I believe you, but where are you getting this information from?

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:47 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=150707 :thumbright: :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:49 pm

Cardiff City are reportedly on the verge of completing the signing of Stuart O'Keefe.

The Crystal Palace midfielder travelled to Wales, where he has passed a medical.

Now, with only a few pieces of paperwork to be completed, the deal to take the 23-year-old to the Cardiff City Stadium should be concluded within the next 24 hours, according to BBC Sport.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:49 pm

Transfermarkt has him down as a enteral midfielder that can play defensive and attacking. Anyone know any info on him, is he likely to replace Gunnar?

Or will Slade play him RW?

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:51 pm

VincentTanOut wrote:I believe you, but where are you getting this information from?

In the top right corner of each post, you'll find a quote button!

If you click on the appropriate quote button, then type your question after the end of the quote you've copied into your post, people will know who the feck you are asking a question to! ;) :)

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:04 pm

He's started 18 times for them.... most in the championship. Just because he's part of a premier league club does NOT make him premier league standard. Plus he went on loan to Blackpool earlier this season and they didn't even want him back. Make of that what you will.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:06 pm

RFMH wrote:Transfermarkt has him down as a enteral midfielder that can play defensive and attacking. Anyone know any info on him, is he likely to replace Gunnar?

Or will Slade play him RW?

Slade we are talking about.......He is Marshalls replacement ..doh

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:30 pm

Decent midfielder from what ive heared from palace supporters is that they wouldnt take a chance on him and blackpool he was disheartened to not get a shot at palace.
Hope he brings somthing to the table

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:31 pm

Decent midfielder from what ive heared from palace supporters is that they wouldnt take a chance on him and blackpool he was disheartened to not get a shot at palace.
Hope he brings somthing to the table

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:34 pm

Play him and Ralls drop whitts and Gunnarsson!

Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:03 pm

Well can't be much worse than what we have in midfield at the moment. IHate to say it but I'd drop Whittingham and if O'keefe is a defensive midfielder get him and Gunner in the middle of the park to sure things up. Should then allow Harris and No one to go forward knowing there is something behind them. Only way I could see Slades 4-4-2 working.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:37 pm

jamie ccfc bluebirds wrote:Play him and Ralls drop whitts and Gunnarsson!

O'Keefe, Ralls, Gunnarsson and Adeyemi!

Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:40 pm

City Slicker wrote:

looks good on paper plenty of energy

Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:56 pm

wez1927 wrote:
City Slicker wrote:

looks good on paper plenty of energy

Yes Wez maybe we can start winning some possession with this lot. That will give us a platform to perform up front and maybe take the pressure off the defence. :bluescarf:

Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:03 pm

Slade will still probably stick with gunnarrson and whittingham in a flat 4-4-2
We could have yaya toure in midfield,the way we play with aimless long balls,theres no point having a midfield sometimes.
Sorry to be negative

Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:21 am

It's being reported that Crystal Palace midfielder Stuart O'Keefe will soon be paraded at the Cardiff City Stadium.

We have apparently agreed a fee for the 23 year old and it's said he has already passed a medical, so we just have a few bits and bobs to sort out when it comes to personal terms and then he will be unveiled as another new signing for manager Russell Slade.

He would be our fourth deal this January window following the arrival of Alex Revell, Scott Malone and Lee Peltier.

Since moving to Palace back in August 2010, he has made 31 starts for them, with an additional 20 appearances from the bench, and has scored once.

He has made two appearances for them this season, but spent a short time out on loan with Blackpool earlier this season, making three starts and one appearance from the bench.

Read more: http://www.cardiff.vitalfootball.co.uk/ ... z3Q4SUDlHU

Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:24 am

This is why palace fans love him

Play off final video, Im not expected you lot to watch the whole game but he came on at the 17 minute and within a few seconds he already imposed himself on the game.

Just tought for him that he always had Jedinak and KG (he was alot fitter back then) ahead of him.