Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Kenwyne Jones could he be leaving? "

Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:22 am

Are Cardiff putting Jones in the lime light and hoping for offers?

There has been no offers so far for Jones,but if an offer came in then it would be up to the owner, if he accepted said Slade.

Stoke City old boy Kenwyne Jones could be man in demand
By kawales

Tues 27th Jan 2015

The words “Kenwyne Jones” and “top scorer” will be unfamiliar to Stoke City fans, but the big man has obviously found his level at Championship side Cardiff City, where he has banged in 12 goals this season.

The latest came in Saturday’s FA Cup victory over Reading, sparking fears in South Wales that Jones could be sold as the Bluebirds bid to cut their wage bill.

The 30-year-old former Stoke City striker is one of Cardiff’s biggest earners, but manager Russell Slade told Wales Online he is staying put.

He said: “We’ve had no enquiries for Kenwyne, and I am fairly confident that he will be here at the end of the month.

“Obviously if a ‘ginormous’ offer came in for him then that would be left with the owner and chief executive, but, from my point of view, I’d like him here.

Meanwhile, there was good news and bad for ex-Stoke boss Tony Pulis as he bids to bolster his West Brom squad.

The Daily Mirror claim he is edging closer to a £4.5m deal for 23-year-old Wigan winger Callum McManaman, but the same newspaper say West Ham are trying to push through a deal to sign 30-year-old Manchester United midfielder Darren Fletcher, an acknowledged Pulis target.

The Londoners are ready to pay £5m for Ings, according to the Mirror, who is Burnley’s top scorer this season with seven goals.

Re: " Kenwyne Jones could he be leaving? "

Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:41 am

Slade said the same about Marshall but for me it could be a case of putting them in the shop window. Regardless of goals, if Kenwyne is one of the top earners they would want him off the wage bill in line with all of the others ''high earners' that have departed.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:49 am

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:Slade said the same about Marshall but for me it could be a case of putting them in the shop window. Regardless of goals, if Kenwyne is one of the top earners they would want him off the wage bill in line with all of the others ''high earners' that have departed.

Slade was merely answering questions he'd been asked about both players, the same as he's done about all our other players he was asked about!

He's reportedly on nearly £40,000 per week, so I cannot see any takers ATM in time and it's another non story IMO!

Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:10 am

[quote="Forever Blue"]Are Cardiff putting Jones in the lime light and hoping for offers?

There has been no offers so far for Jones,but if an offer came in then it would be up to the owner, if he accepted said Slade.

By kawales

Tues 27th Jan 2015

The words “Kenwyne Jones” and “top scorer” will be unfamiliar to Stoke City fans, but the big man has obviously found his level at Championship side Cardiff City, where he has banged in 12 goals this season.

The latest came in Saturday’s FA Cup victory over Reading, sparking fears in South Wales that Jones could be sold as the Bluebirds bid to cut their wage bill.

Who writes this stuff ?

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:55 am

SBF1 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Are Cardiff putting Jones in the lime light and hoping for offers?

By kawales

Tues 27th Jan 2015

Who writes this stuff ?

I thought it was just me!!

KJ has been one of the few bright spots goal wise this season. Can we afford to shed him?? I doubt it.

If he goes, it will remove a lot of the threat in offence.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:00 pm

Kenwyne Jones who is in for him?

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:15 pm

Doubt it.

No one is going to match his wages and besides he will be a free agent this summer.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:05 pm

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:Slade said the same about Marshall but for me it could be a case of putting them in the shop window. Regardless of goals, if Kenwyne is one of the top earners they would want him off the wage bill in line with all of the others ''high earners' that have departed.

Thats what I believe,they are putting any player of value in the shop window.

£37,500 basic wage as well Kenwyne :shock:

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:06 pm

I like Jones but if as reported he is on a big wage then let him go if possible.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:06 pm

SBF1 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Are Cardiff putting Jones in the lime light and hoping for offers?

By kawales

Tues 27th Jan 2015

Who writes this stuff ?

:lol:

I never noticed that. :lol:

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:34 pm

I don't see the point of letting Kenwyne go now as we only have to pay his wages until the summer and then we can release him or re-negotiate his wage. His goals could be the difference between us staying up or relegation because no-one else is scoring at the moment.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:45 pm

One of the bottom 5 of the PL will come in soon with a bid, he scores :ayatollah:

Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:17 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if a struggling Premier League team take a punt on him.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:44 pm

against the odds, jones has become the most important player in the team for us.

it would be a disaster if he left, even on his high wages. there's me eating humble pie.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:42 pm

If we sell Jones then a cost-cutting exercise may soon become a relegation avoiding exercise. Most players are replaceable but goalscorers are not as easy to replace.

Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:29 pm

Stan_B wrote:If we sell Jones then a cost-cutting exercise may soon become a relegation avoiding exercise. Most players are replaceable but goalscorers are not as easy to replace.

agreed, he is one player that cannot fall victim to the cost cutting if the club have any ambitions to get into the play offs, let alone the automatic places.