Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' RUSSELL SLADE SHAVES £12 MILLION OFF THE WAGE BILL "

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:29 pm

"Russell Slade has completed a Cardiff City clearout aimed at saving around £12m on the wage bill "

Monday 26th Jan 2015.

Seven players have left the club since owner Vincent Tan and the club directors gave manager Slade the task of cutting wages from £30m-plus to just below £20m.

There are also eight players out on loan and, barring a major bid being made for a City player, there are not expected to be any more departures.

Slade has also been given the backing to add three more players before the transfer window closes next Tuesday.

The Bluebirds boss has enquired about a loan deal for 6ft 3ins German international defender Robert Huth at Stoke.

Cardiff are also keen on a midfield player currently with a Premier League club, while Slade wants to sign a striker now that Adam Le Fondre has joined Bolton on loan.

The Bluebirds badly need an upturn in results and performances after earning one win in their last eight Championship fixtures and going out of the FA Cup against Reading.

Three of Cardiff’s next four fixtures are at home - against Derby, Brighton and Blackburn - and they must show in those matches they have twhe desire and ability to regain a place in the top half of the table.

Re: ' RUSSELL SLADE SHAVES £12 MILLION OFF THE WAGE BILL "

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:40 pm

I will correct the statement, Tan has shaved £12million of wage bill and I dont blame him on some of the players. Slade has No say.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:41 pm

It had to be done, maybe more to come.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:55 pm

Can see maybe Marshall & Manga going if a big enough offer comes in, maybe Fabio too.

Maynard maybe on loan (if the window is open past Jan i cant remember) and then gone in the summer.
Velikonja & KTC gone in the summer after the loans, Kiss too but he's not a bad little squad player and a dog maybe Slade will look at him.

Super Kev, Jones, Lewis, Gabbs and Ralls contracts all up in the summer.
Would have liked to have kept either Kev in the Champ myself and Lewis isnt a bad No 2 to Moore, doubt Jones will take a paycut.
Expect Ralls to have his extended past summer and cant see any of the others being renewed.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:56 pm

2blue2handle wrote:It had to be done, maybe more to come.

I agree Luke, many had to go(not all),but I am worried what Slade will bring in and how he will manage them.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:09 pm

In fairness the players gone I would have got rod of too, including Dahli. I personally think there was no end product with him.I do agree with Annis though, this clown or puppet or whatever you want to call him, it's a useless and clueless Yes man. Maybe when Tan has completed the cull he will get rid of him and start again... Here's hoping ..

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:12 pm

This article sounds a lot more promising that what has recently come out. The players that have left have were the obvious ones. Apart from Brayford and Daehli, and maybe Kim where we could have got a fee, I expected to leave at some point.

We were always going to need to trim down the side, as it was huge, and most were not playing but still pocketing huge amounts of money. I don't agree that the mass clear out of players should have happened mid-season, especially in the case of Brayford and Daehli, but it had to happen sooner rather than later, when FFP will come into play with us.

I hope the 3 players that could be brought in are better than what we have now, and are starters, not squad players. Definitely need a winger, a striker, and a ball winning box to box midfielder. Who they are, I don't know, but I hope they have quality.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:19 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

I agree Luke, many had to go(not all),but I am worried what Slade will bring in and how he will manage them.

I think letting Daehli go will come to haunt us.
As for slade, I have no faith in him at all.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:29 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I think letting Daehli go will come to haunt us.
As for slade, I have no faith in him at all.

Luke,I feel exactly the same.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:43 pm

I wonder if Marshall's injury and op has saved us from his sale in this window?

When you look at the players left we should still be battering most teams. We have several players who got Cardiff into the premiership and aquitted themselves well there. We have 1 in 2 goal scorers. So the players underperform or are poorly coached. It may be both but I think the latter shine through on Saturday with wingers out of position and a gradual complete loss of shape.

Tan spent what his previous managers asked for and gave back the colour. Now if we could just persuade his mother to tell him about his coaching team we could start to get somewhere.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:44 pm

I wonder what it has cost the club to save £12m,the way we are being run possibly £13m

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:50 pm

Can't blame the club for cutting back, I just don't get how our plans went from spend big to cut backs within the space of a eek from August 31st to Ole leaving.

We should have just done this in the first place tbh

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:22 pm

Aramore wrote:Can't blame the club for cutting back, I just don't get how our plans went from spend big to cut backs within the space of a eek from August 31st to Ole leaving.

We should have just done this in the first place tbh
think the club knows we ain't going up so is cutting its cloth ready for next season

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:30 pm

how much did it cost to get rid of all these players?

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:34 am

Forever Blue wrote:I will correct the statement, Tan has shaved £12million of wage bill and I dont blame him on some of the players. Slade has No say.

Tan has to have the final say....it's his money. He has finally realised that we have to live within our means. Slade, to be fair, is just doing the job that he signed up to. You say he's a puppet, but to a certain extent all managers are puppets because they are employed by the owners and have to carry out the owners wishes. Granted that in most cases the owners give managers a bit more freedom than Slade is getting at the moment but all clubs relegated from the Premier League have to face up to a huge financial reality. Tan is doing that at the moment and Slade is the one in the hot seat. The club and all the supporters are going through necessary pain. Slade is copping some terrible flak at the moment even though he is trying to build his own team against a background of enormous difficulty. I'm not saying that Slade is the answer, I just don't know, but I think that instead of supporters firing terrible insults at him they should be giving him their full support at least until the end of the season. We are not going up this season but unless we all rally together there is a chance that we might go down, which would be disastrous.

It wasn't so long ago that people on here were saying that they would take relegation if we could go back to blue. Now it seems that those people suddenly want the best of both worlds. It's Cardiff City....never a dull moment. :thumbup: :bluescarf:

Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:24 am

I think in many ways this is a positive thing because at least the club are dealing with the problem of a high wage bill BEFORE it becomes a massive problem. To a point the £23m parachute payment we are due to receive helped support this huge wage bill, but only if it meant an immediate return to the Premier League. Everyone knows that is not going to happen and I blame OGS who managed to completely f**k up his job of building a squad capable of getting promoted this season, that despite having spent over £12m in the summer, and going forward RS will not be getting financial support at that sort of level as FFP rules will see to that.

It's not like we haven't been here before though because you only have to think back to when Dave Jones was appointed manager, the money to run the club had run out under SH ownership and players were being sold to pay the wages. That summer any player of value was either being sold at cutdown prices (Gabbidon & Collins) or given away which was the case with our record signing Peter Thorne. High wages and the desperate need for cash were the reasons given. Dave Jones was left with no option other than to find free signings or loans to put together a squad to keep us in the Championship, and he did it, and from that point started building a squad capable of pushing for promotion. By the time he left things had gone full cycle with only a handful of players contracted to the club and MM having to almost start from scratch to rebuild our squad. Thanks to the financial support of VT he did that.

Things are not that bad at the moment because at least RS has over 20 players available to him and with a budget of approaching £20m, more than a match for anything DJ and MM had, if he has anything about him he will rebuild this squad with players capable to taking on his tactics.

That's the big question in my opinion does RS have the experience to at least keep us in this division and then build a team capable of a promotion push, sorting out the finances is a seperate issue that was ALWAYS, short of an immediate return to the PL, going to happen.

From what I've seen so far I really don't think he is.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:00 am

castleblue wrote:I think in many ways this is a positive thing because at least the club are dealing with the problem of a high wage bill BEFORE it becomes a massive problem. To a point the £23m parachute payment we are due to receive helped support this huge wage bill, but only if it meant an immediate return to the Premier League. Everyone knows that is not going to happen and I blame OGS who managed to completely f**k up his job of building a squad capable of getting promoted this season, that despite having spent over £12m in the summer, and going forward RS will not be getting financial support at that sort of level as FFP rules will see to that.

It's not like we haven't been here before though because you only have to think back to when Dave Jones was appointed manager, the money to run the club had run out under SH ownership and players were being sold to pay the wages. That summer any player of value was either being sold at cutdown prices (Gabbidon & Collins) or given away which was the case with our record signing Peter Thorne. High wages and the desperate need for cash were the reasons given. Dave Jones was left with no option other than to find free signings or loans to put together a squad to keep us in the Championship, and he did it, and from that point started building a squad capable of pushing for promotion. By the time he left things had gone full cycle with only a handful of players contracted to the club and MM having to almost start from scratch to rebuild our squad. Thanks to the financial support of VT he did that.

Things are not that bad at the moment because at least RS has over 20 players available to him and with a budget of approaching £20m, more than a match for anything DJ and MM had, if he has anything about him he will rebuild this squad with players capable to taking on his tactics.

That's the big question in my opinion does RS have the experience to at least keep us in this division and then build a team capable of a promotion push, sorting out the finances is a seperate issue that was ALWAYS, short of an immediate return to the PL, going to happen.

I just don't get the Slade appointment? He was brought in when promotion was still on the agenda and had no experience of that, now he seems that he has been brought in as a ruthless hatchet man, indiscriminately cutting players from the squad, neither of which scenario he has any experience of, it's all very odd indeed :thumbup:

Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:07 am

castleblue wrote:I think in many ways this is a positive thing because at least the club are dealing with the problem of a high wage bill BEFORE it becomes a massive problem. To a point the £23m parachute payment we are due to receive helped support this huge wage bill, but only if it meant an immediate return to the Premier League. Everyone knows that is not going to happen and I blame OGS who managed to completely f**k up his job of building a squad capable of getting promoted this season, that despite having spent over £12m in the summer, and going forward RS will not be getting financial support at that sort of level as FFP rules will see to that.

Good post CB. Remember "Black Friday", 4th March, 2005, & Graham Kavanagh's hasty transfer to Wigan, via a private helicopter (citation needed). A lot of player left City at the end of that 04/05 season, apart from the ones already mentioned, others who left were; Bullock, Earnshaw, Jerome, Langley, McAnuff, Robinson, Thomas, Vidmar, Warner, D. Williams, & one or two others.

Dave Jones took over during the summer of 2005, & had a rebuilding job to do, with no or very little money, just like Malky Mackay had to do, six years later.

Ten years on, & City are doing the same again.

Same old City!!! :old: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:13 am

Put yourself in Slades shoes he's tasked with cutting down the squad which has a morale issue on all the players. Hopefully we can now we can draw a line on the past and look to build for the future hence its only fair to judge slade on this point forward.

Personally I dont think hes the right manager to take us forward however he was the right man to sort out the mess Ole left us in.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:17 am

jooshy wrote:Can see maybe Marshall & Manga going if a big enough offer comes in, maybe Fabio too.

Maynard maybe on loan (if the window is open past Jan i cant remember) and then gone in the summer.
Velikonja & KTC gone in the summer after the loans, Kiss too but he's not a bad little squad player and a dog maybe Slade will look at him.

Super Kev, Jones, Lewis, Gabbs and Ralls contracts all up in the summer.
Would have liked to have kept either Kev in the Champ myself and Lewis isnt a bad No 2 to Moore, doubt Jones will take a paycut.
Expect Ralls to have his extended past summer and cant see any of the others being renewed.

Kiss would do well for us....from what I remember !!

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:19 pm

How much I wonder are eg Ipswich's, Brentford's and Bournemouth's wage bills?

Difference between those clubs is that they all have decent managers (and can turn average players into a decent team and play attacking and attractive football), and one (Warburton) who has no experience at this level.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:48 pm

Castleblue , I always like your posts. well written with no agenda :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:33 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=154006 :thumbright:

Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:20 pm

What I find unbelievable is just how massive the wage bill for a premier league club is. We've already shipped some big earners out in the summer like medal, caulker etc...basically most of the sky money will go straight back out the door to cover this meaning the clubs basically get nothing but expensive players who can hopefully keep them up. Such a dodgy system. The manager and owners are crucial in keeping the club going, we failed on both levels and got what we deserved unfortunately.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:27 pm

You only have to look at the league table and see the former prem teams. You make millions on the prem but going down is hard. Parachute payments are for a reason.