Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Leeds United Player Now a Cardiff Target '

Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:18 pm

' Cardiff City eye move for Leeds United midfielder '

Austin has found it hard to get a first team place at struggling club Leeds.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=150707 :thumbright:

JANUARY 25, 2015

Cardiff City are eyeing a move for Leeds United central midfielder Rodolph Austin, according to the Daily Mail.

Austin, 29, has found playing time somewhat hard to get under manager Neil Redfearn, and the Yorkshire club could be set to let the Jamaican leave in January.

As reported on FLW last month, Chris Hughton’s Brighton and Hove Albion are interested in the combative midfielder, and are considering making a January bid for the Leeds player, however they now face competition from Cardiff City.

Leeds United manager Neil Redfearn has introduced an influx of youth into his starting eleven, subsequently meaning Austin has found a starting berth not available week in week out.

The Jamaican international has made over 18 appearances for the Whites this season, scoring once, but has recently fallen out of favour with most of his appearances coming from the substitute bench.

Meanwhile, Leeds United are eyeing a move for ex-Arsenal midfielder Fran Merida, as reported on FLW.

Merida could be seen as a potential replacement for Austin, who looks like he could be departing Elland Road this January.

The 24-year-old is currently a free agent after being released from Brazilian outfit Atletico Paranense, and FLW understands that Leeds boss Neil Redfearn is considering making a move for the ex-Barcelona and Arsenal midfielder.

Merida would certainly add another dimension to Leeds’ midfield options, and will provide an element of creativity to help propel them up the division.

Re: ' Leeds United Player Now a Cardiff Target '

Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:26 pm

So, let be clear on this,,,a player who is finding it hard to get into another struggling Championship club is wanted by us???

Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:28 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:So, let be clear on this,,,a player who is finding it hard to get into another struggling Championship club is wanted by us???

Rick thats Slade for you.

I also spoke to a Yorkshire reporter last night who said Revell is a good Div 1/lower Championship player and that Lee Peltier from Huddersfield Town was another struggling player.

But I will give them all a chance :thumbright: :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:35 pm

I think Tan will sell in the summer. We are selling assets' now. Reducing wage. He,ll leave us in the championship but whoever comes in will need 8 new players.

Writing is on the wall

Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:37 pm

Surprised this guy has not made more of an impact at Leeds.

When he played against us the first time he look quite an aggressive battler. Really thought he would do well and go onto bigger things.

Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:40 pm

Doesn't make sense to me.... A 29 year old championship player, who won't come cheap. I can see the point in gambling on 22 year old from div 1 unless Whitts and gunnar are off.

Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:41 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Surprised this guy has not made more of an impact at Leeds.

When he played against us the first time he look quite an aggressive battler. Really thought he would do well and go onto bigger things.

Did he not have a nasty injury?

Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:45 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:Surprised this guy has not made more of an impact at Leeds.

Did he not have a nasty injury?

Think he did.

Scored a belter of a free kick against us.

Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:47 pm

I was really impressed with him when he played against us before. We've signed players from lower teams before who aren't stars but they've done well for us. People just want an excuse to have a go at slade. I'd love to see how other managers do if they were told to sell all their top players. Slade turned things around for us when he came in, it's only since the quick fire sales that we've been going down hill

Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:02 pm

Leeds are looking at getting shot of a 29 year old midfielder while looking at a 24 year old with potential.Meanwhile Our master planner RS is sticking to his strategy of getting ageing players who can't get into teams that are either on a par with us or are lower down the league system. I guess he trying to ensure we keep "moving in the right direction" DOWNWARDS. If we dont get relegated this year, we must be nailed on for next time if RS is still in charge. Pathetic really.
:thumbup:

Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:03 pm

For christ sake just cause the guy cant get a game recently, you think its because he is bad. Get a bloody grip. Is Loic Remy of Chelsea rubbish cause he is usually on the bench? Is Juan Mata rubbish cause he is usually on the bench regularly for Man Utd? Yet again are people jumping on the bandwagon to slate the new signings when they havent even seen them play for us yet. Austin is one of the best defensive midfielders, when he plays there in the Championship. You mark my words that he will, if he signs be a player that the fans will love because he is a leader, a no nonsense type of player and he is exactly what we need in midfield. If Slade does sign him then in my opinion it will be something of a coup. Yet again Slade is trying to bring in experienced leaders who will galvanize this team. He has already brought Peltier in who is another no nonsense leader who had been a captain - as has Austin at Leeds - when he was at Leicester, Huddersfield and Leeds and it would not surprise me in the slightest if he became captain here. Listen i cannot stand Slade for his tactics and for his style of play and i feel that he is taking backwards. However, i have been happy with Revell signing, i am vety happy with Peltiers signing andni would be very happy if Austin were to sign too. I thought there were fans out there who were fed up of the lack of inconsistency, passion, and determination, shown by some of the Prima Donna players that we have and that we needed to go back to basics by signing players who work hard, fight for everything, are committed, passionate, consistent, who are leaders, etc?????? Well that is the exact type of player that Slade has brought in with Revell and Peltier and hopefully Austin, but yet fans are moaning because a few of the players have not been regular in their teams. That is ridiculous, because maybe there were fans, who would have looked at our squad a few weeks ago might have thought that the players who were not being picked in the starting 11 or even in the squad were not very good because they were not playing. But, of course we know better cause we know for a fact that players like Daehli, Ravel, Guerra, etc are brilliant players and should have been playing in the starting 11 from the beginning. But, our manager didnt obviously rate them and that is why they were not used. Not because they were bad players. Managers have their own personal things that they want from there players and so good and bad players are left out of these squads. Just because players get sold it does not mean because they are not good enough. There are other mitigating circumstances like contract disputes, players not settling at a club, off field problems, etc.

All i am saying is do not judge a book by its cover. I thought as fans of Cardiff City we were supposed to judge players after they have actually kicked a ball for us. Even if we dont rate a certain player.

Bloooooobirds.

Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:11 pm

We got Digachoi as well.........

Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:14 pm

llan bluebird wrote:We got Digachoi as well.........

True, but he is still a couple of months away from 1st team action i think. But, if we can get him back into tip top shape then i think he will be as good as a new signing for us. I do think he will be great for us.

Bloooooobirds.

Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:19 pm

More to the point Rudy Gestedde couldn't get a game for us and let's be honest looked like a donkey, now worth £4 million plus, it seems the policy in the short medium term is get in bog standard players on low to average wages, build a mid table team, make the club self financing and find a new owner, I have no faith in Slade ever getting anywhere near promotion, but he may just have enough in his locker to build a very average championship team, at least I bloody hope so :roll: :roll:

Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:22 pm

geggs_ccfc wrote:

True, but he is still a couple of months away from 1st team action i think. But, if we can get him back into tip top shape then i think he will be as good as a new signing for us. I do think he will be great for us.

Bloooooobirds.

When i first heard about Austin i was happy, but i remembered he had a bad break and has he come back. Lets face it Leeds are hardly Chelsea or Man u, you don't leave many decent players being benched.

Whitts and Dikachoi are both 30, adding another 29 year old on a 3 year deal (that's what he'd want) is hardly rebuilding for the future.

We need wide midfield player anyway

Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:35 pm

That just about says it all about the club's aspirations. Targeting middle of the road championship players! Tan doesn't seem to be looking at the future for this club.

At least if we were looking at good youngsters from lower divisions I could understand it but this makes no sense at all.

Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:46 pm

A leeds mate says he was class until injury and ever since has been hopeless

Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:10 pm

He doesn't stop running, and is very strong, the type of player we need. Just not the player we need.

Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:37 pm

When I saw this topic before I opened it i was praying it would be austin! Hell of a player on his day and the sort of player we need in our midfeild, people will just moan at anything slade or club will do! Our better players recently has been slade signings so for f**k sake let them to it!

Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:49 pm

citybluechris wrote:When I saw this topic before I opened it i was praying it would be austin! Hell of a player on his day and the sort of player we need in our midfeild, people will just moan at anything slade or club will do! Our better players recently has been slade signings so for f**k sake let them to it!

Finally another poster - i think there are only 3 or 4 of us on this subject - that thinks that he would be a great signing too. I have always rated this guy and while it is true that he has not been as good as he was before his injury. I still think he could be the defensive midgield rock that we want him to be. Sometimes a chamge of clubs for some players just rejuvinates them and they start showing the good form that they once did before a bad injury or a long absence out of the starting 11. I think a move here would be ideal for him. He is also a very influential player as a few players that he has played with have said that they feel a lot better and more stronger with him in the side rather than out of it.

Bloooooobirds.

Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:39 pm

Austin could be a shrewd buy.
We need a leader and an enforcer wh can pass.
Perhaps a new move may suit him.

Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:51 pm

The good thing will be both he and Peltier will be coming from another underachieving club who's fans think they deserve success and have little patience.

So at least they should have thick skins !

Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:53 pm

Lawnmower wrote:The good thing will be both he and Peltier will be coming from another underachieving club who's fans think they deserve success and have little patience.

So at least they should have thick skins !

:thumbup:

Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:01 pm

Has this guy had two leg transplants or something ?
Or is the club scientist performing really dodgy experiments on him ?
I've never known any footballer to be out for the length of time he's been out !

:?

Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:15 pm

I know Austin quite well as a player since he used to play for Brann in Norway before he signed for Leeds. If Slade wants a real hard ass in the midfield, Austin is the man. This guy is pure pain, I tell you (and unfortunately, picking up a yellow card in almost every game). Don´t know how he has been doing for Leeds the last couple of seasons, but he was a great player for Brann. If he´s still at the same level, I think he may be a decent signing.

Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:57 pm

hel fit in well to the system we are playing then

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:40 pm

The way we going, Can we get the BENNETT Brothers back... lol

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:16 pm

pezza4646 wrote:The way we going, Can we get the BENNETT Brothers back... lol

At least we'll get a decent ball in from the wings.

I am also sure gary can welly it more than Morrison,(not sure about beating Turner though)

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:48 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
pezza4646 wrote:The way we going, Can we get the BENNETT Brothers back... lol

At least we'll get a decent ball in from the wings.

I am also sure gary can welly it more than Morrison,(not sure about beating Turner though)

Two great players :thumbright: :thumbright: