Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Nicky Maynard to Reading ? '

Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:44 am

http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/tra ... ky-maynard

Reading FC to bid for Cardiff striker?
By The Tilehurst

Jan 11 2015.

Reports from the Football League World website have linked the Royals with a bid for out of favour Cardiff forward Nicky Maynard.

How much to read into these rumours remains in question but on the surface this one could certainly be filed under the 'possible' category.

Maynard has struggled to live up to a £2.5m transfer fee at the Cardiff City Stadium and hasn't featured in a match since Russell Slade took over from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer back in October.

With the forward out of contract this summer, local media have reported that Slade is open to letting the forward go, even on a loan basis, perhaps even paying some of his wages to get him off the books. The signing this weekend of Rotherham's Alex Revell will only have pushed the former Bristol City man closer to an exit.

Maynard was once a very highly rated prospect, breaking through at Crewe before firing home 45 goals in 124 games for Bristol City in the Championship. At one stage City turned down a reporterd £5m bid from Leicester for the striker, before allowing him to move on to West Ham in January 2012.

Sadly from there it's been mostly frustrations for the 28-year-old forward, who has started just 26 league games in the past three years, scoring eight times including 4 in 16 games on loan at Wigan.

It's exactly those circumstances which might present Reading with an opportunity to take a punt on Maynard for the next six months and see how he gets on. If it's a success, it's a potential free transfer and if not there's no real long-term commitment.

So what do you think Tilehurst Enders? Worth a go or stay clear?

Re: Nicky Maynard to Reading ?

Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:49 am

I would rather send le fondre back and keep Maynard ..

Re: Nicky Maynard to Reading ?

Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:58 am

Maynard has never really been given a chance, saying that mind, the last time i seen him play he looked well overweight :shock:

Re: ' Nicky Maynard to Reading ? '

Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:06 pm

Chris, Slade wants him gone,does not figure in his plans, will be interesting to see where Maynard goes?

Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:09 pm

Find it odd that everyone slates Maynard when we aren't going to sell him, then when we try and off load him people say we should be keeping him...get rid of him I say

Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:14 pm

Annis, Lefondre has been an even worse signing than Maynard in my opinion. He had a great chance again yesterday when he tried to bend it around the keeper, he should have hit it low and hard or squared it to Kenwynne, he even tried to hook one over the his head whith his back to goal when he was basicly stood on the line... :shock:

Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:29 pm

Maynard hast been the same since his bad injury shame really but we need to trim the squad down

Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:03 pm

I find it strange that we struggle to score, yet we don't give Maynard a chance,i'm not saying he's the answer but he can't do any worse than mechada and fondre

Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:06 pm

Give Maynard games and he will score goals

Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:17 pm

I don't think le fondre is any better, pointless bit of business by ole yet again

Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:22 pm

scooby1973 wrote:Give Maynard games and he will score goals

:thumbup:

Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:27 pm

I think the 27000 a week that he earns might have something to do with his offload

Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:34 pm

would be a good move for him

Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:54 am

Be Blue wrote:Find it odd that everyone slates Maynard when we aren't going to sell him, then when we try and off load him people say we should be keeping him...get rid of him I say

How do you know they are the same people?

Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:07 am

I would sell both Le Fondre and Maynard, if there are any buyers out there.

Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:37 pm

Maynard is clearly out of favour so I would sell him and get him off the wage bill.

Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:51 pm

BlakeCCFC wrote:Maynard is clearly out of favour so I would sell him and get him off the wage bill.

I agree. Even OGS allegedly criticised him last summer for his lack of post season fitness, & that's saying something.

Needs a new club now, IMHO.

Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:52 pm

In my opinion I would take Maynard over Le Fondre and Macheda every day of the week. I think Nicky just needs a run of games and a manager who can give him a bit of confidence and for a manager to show a bit of faith in him. If Maynard had of been given the same run of games as Le Fondre is having then I guarantee Maynsrd would be on double figures. I cannot believe that we are willing to let him leave the club so easily, yes it may be due to his big wages but while he is here the very least he should be doing is being among the subs. He deserves to be there ahead of Macheda especially. If we let him go to one of our nearest rivals then I think it would come back to haunt us.

Bloooooobirds.