Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Now Peter Ridsdale speaks out about Cardiff City '

Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:58 am

Former Cardiff City chief Peter Ridsdale launches robust defence of his Bluebirds reign

Friday Dec 19, 2014

Ridsdale points to new stadium, FA Cup Final and Premier League push as evidence of success

Former Cardiff City chief Peter Ridsdale has launched a robust defence of his Bluebirds reign.

Ridsdale spoke out following our story on Wednesday outlining how Cardiff’s Malaysian owner Vincent Tan has paid off a string of debts... in doing so consolidating his control of the club.

We reported how Tan has acted to resolve secured debts that have hung over the club since the building of the new stadium and past transfer dealings.

The swathe of repayments leave the Malaysian tycoon as they only creditor with any legal claim over the club’s assets, apart from the city council.

However, Ridsdale has moved to outline the success he achieved whilst in charge of the Bluebirds.

“In your article, once again there appears an attempt to dismiss a very successful five-year period whilst I worked in South Wales as a financial disaster,” said Ridsdale.

“I get constantly fed up with being used as a soft target and being labelled with issues that are either inaccurate or out of context.”

He continued: “In 2005 Cardiff City FC were struggling with debt, fighting relegation from the Championship and had a stadium scheme that had little hope of being built.

“In 2010 Cardiff City had a new stadium, had just been to a play-off final for an opportunity to be promoted to the Premier League and had been to its first FA Cup Final since 1927 (versus Portsmouth in 2008).

“On my leaving, the club had increased assets, a new wealthy owner and was ready to move on to its dreams of playing in the Premier League.

“The new stadium funding included a loan facilitated through Paul Guy and Mike Hall (PMG) which was secured against Premier Club seating through a company called Cardiff City Premier Seating Limited, NOT the football club.

“Your article using the phrase ‘credit fuelled’ player purchases is disingenuous and misleading.

“During the period June 2005 and June 2010, Cardiff City sold players totalling approximately £29million and spent approximately £7million.

“A net transfer income of some £22m.

“At the same time the club went from relegation candidates in 2005 to play-off finalists in 2010.

“The player finance fund credit facility was not secured against the assets of the football club during my time there. If it was subsequently restructured to include security it was not by me.”

Ridsdale went on to conclude: “The much-derided Golden Ticket Scheme of December 2009 approved by the Board, has turned out to be a ‘fans friend’.

“I continue to watch Cardiff City’s progress and as always wish them well.

“However, it would be comforting if on a rare occasion there is an acknowledgement of the massive progress that was achieved in the five years up to June 2010 rather than what some would seem as cheap negative criticism.”

Re: ' Now Peter Ridsdale speaks out about Cardiff City '

Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:13 am

I have to agree - love him or loathe him, he has been vilified for many things but at the end of the day the Golden Ticket did turn out to be the fans friend and one that made certain that many fans could afford season tickets for the new stadium without any financial obligation other than to make sure you renewed each year. The fact that the club is considering a new price freeze shows that The Riddler got this right and the potential loss of revenue now that the scheme is at an end is a worry for the powers that be at the club. Looking back, on the other points he makes, it is hard to argue against it being a successful period with some of the best football [and players] I've seen from a city side being played consistently and perhaps its about time we gave him a bit of credit. Tan might be picking up the tab for some of his dealings, but without him, the club would probably not have survived to the Tan era.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:30 am

Bluebird For Life wrote:I have to agree - love him or loathe him, he has been vilified for many things but at the end of the day the Golden Ticket did turn out to be the fans friend and one that made certain that many fans could afford season tickets for the new stadium without any financial obligation other than to make sure you renewed each year. The fact that the club is considering a new price freeze shows that The Riddler got this right and the potential loss of revenue now that the scheme is at an end is a worry for the powers that be at the club. Looking back, on the other points he makes, it is hard to argue against it being a successful period with some of the best football [and players] I've seen from a city side being played consistently and perhaps its about time we gave him a bit of credit. Tan might be picking up the tab for some of his dealings, but without him, the club would probably not have survived to the Tan era.

A lot on here vilified him, unfairly in my opinion. He performed some minor miracles to keep us alive during some very difficult times. He was always approachable and if you had a problem with the club you could go direct to him and he would sort it.:bluescarf:

Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:51 am

He did excellent when he was here, without him the club would definitely have gone into administration, and there would have been no new stadium, many thanks to him :thumbup:

Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:06 am

Hindsight is wonderful thing, as we are finding out at this moment in time. Ridsdale had some very good points as a Chairman, his football business knowledge is second to none, however, he actually lied on too many occasions to the fans, to be trusted in the end :thumbup:

Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:50 am

He wouldn't have rebranded us (temporarily) though like Emperor Ming has ;) :bluescarf:

Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:20 am

Igovernor wrote:He did excellent when he was here, without him the club would definitely have gone into administration, and there would have been no new stadium, many thanks to him :thumbup:

I preferred Ninian :bluescarf: :bluescarf: can't thank anyone for getting rid of our historic ground.

The Canton stand could of been redeveloped with some ingenuity. Atletico Madrid have a motorway passing underneath one of the stands so redevelopment would of been hard but not impossible.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:04 am

Get real Thomas.
Ninian was way to far gone.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:43 am

Ridsdale came in and did a number of good things for the club. I'm confident that if he hadn't have stepped in when he did then things would have been a lot worse for us. That said, his time with the club came to an end perhaps a bit later than it should have done. Things were starting to go a bit awry with Ridsdale slipping into old habits and it was good for us that he left. I don't think he was a disaster for us though. He did some good stuff, he did some bad stuff. I'm just a bit meh about him to be honest.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:04 pm

He's not Tan...

Let's get him back. He did ok, and even great in some aspects.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:14 pm

Remember him being able to sell a piece of land for over 2 million pounds. Only the Ridler could have thought of that! I've always felt Ridsdale's stick came from the lies and deception with the golden ticket scheme. Apart from that, I think he did a lot of good for our club. I would welcome him back instead of Tan anytime!

Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:38 pm

ThomasC wrote:
Igovernor wrote:He did excellent when he was here, without him the club would definitely have gone into administration, and there would have been no new stadium, many thanks to him :thumbup:

I preferred Ninian :bluescarf: :bluescarf: can't thank anyone for getting rid of our historic ground.

The Canton stand could of been redeveloped with some ingenuity. Atletico Madrid have a motorway passing underneath one of the stands so redevelopment would of been hard but not impossible.

NP was a dump. Much prefer our modern new stadium. The stadium is not the problem...it's the fans. They just don't sing. Pity they don't use all the hot air we get on here to sing and shout at every home game :bluescarf:

Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:54 pm

moonboots wrote:
ThomasC wrote:

NP was a dump. Much prefer our modern new stadium. The stadium is not the problem...it's the fans. They just don't sing. Pity they don't use all the hot air we get on here to sing and shout at every home game :bluescarf:

It's already mostly grey / blue on the outside, great views, good amenities, right next to Asda for any bits you might need. Good lighting, mostly solid and tidy... just needs to be louder (and while you may be able to pin apathy from the fans on either a) the fans or b) Tan (and it doesn't matter which category you fall into there) I don't think many people can blame c) The Stadium

It was loud enough at the start of our premiership campaign.
:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:09 pm

ridsdale done well out of it......we kept the club afloat by buying season tickets in february...... :ayatollah:

Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:34 pm

Where's the money gone?

Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:35 pm

krabb wrote:ridsdale done well out of it......we kept the club afloat by buying season tickets in february...... :ayatollah:

SPOT ON Kevin. But we bought them in December :shock: :shock:

Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:36 pm

Heres the problem with us cardiff fans always think there is better out there
and then only relise when its too late that it wasnt too bad
we aint a huge club there aint loads of people out there wanting to buy us etc
how amny of you marched agasint him and wanted him out

Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:13 pm

moonboots wrote:
Bluebird For Life wrote:I have to agree - love him or loathe him, he has been vilified for many things but at the end of the day the Golden Ticket did turn out to be the fans friend and one that made certain that many fans could afford season tickets for the new stadium without any financial obligation other than to make sure you renewed each year. The fact that the club is considering a new price freeze shows that The Riddler got this right and the potential loss of revenue now that the scheme is at an end is a worry for the powers that be at the club. Looking back, on the other points he makes, it is hard to argue against it being a successful period with some of the best football [and players] I've seen from a city side being played consistently and perhaps its about time we gave him a bit of credit. Tan might be picking up the tab for some of his dealings, but without him, the club would probably not have survived to the Tan era.

A lot on here vilified him, unfairly in my opinion. He performed some minor miracles to keep us alive during some very difficult times. He was always approachable and if you had a problem with the club you could go direct to him and he would sort it.:bluescarf:

Totally agree on this I would have ridsdale here know rather than tan like you said he was always approachable tan want even give us the time of day to speak to us in my opinion I thought ridsdale did a great job but didn't get much credit for it

Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:18 pm

I agree with this :bluescarf:

Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:40 pm

Ridsdale was the front man for the real men who were making money out of Cardiff City.

Ridsdale knows his football,but can not handle money in my opinion.

He should of been an MP.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:48 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Ridsdale was the front man for the real men who were making money out of Cardiff City.

Ridsdale knows his football,but can not handle money in my opinion.

He should of been an MP.

Not sure about him being an mp annis but I still believe he did alright for us I think you're right abou t handling money and should have stop certain people screwing the club .you knew him better than most annis but I still think he done a good job

Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:29 am

cardiff 74 wrote:

I agree with this :bluescarf:

There was always going to be a new stadium. The man who had the bottle to start it unfortunately fell out with the people who had the right to agree its build. Ridsdale is a smooth talker and those who saw the opportunity to make money out of this wanted him as their front man.

Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:59 am

It's a difficult one.

He did well in some aspects, you can't deny that.

But his lying to us was unforgivable.

Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:06 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
krabb wrote:ridsdale done well out of it......we kept the club afloat by buying season tickets in february...... :ayatollah:

SPOT ON Kevin. But we bought them in December :shock: :shock:

even more shocking annis...... :ayatollah:

Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:31 pm

He did do well in some areas but he kept spending money we didn't have. Without the investment from Tan and TG at the time then PR would have lead us into liquidation and for a huge fee.