Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

In May 2012,This is what was said when some of us said NO

Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:00 pm

Cardiff City fan speaks of fears after red strip U-turn
May 10, 2012

By Terry Phillips

Lifelong Bluebirds fan Gwyn Davies, a 6ft 6in and 20st former judo international, was in tears following a special meeting with club officials.

“Every Cardiff City fan must show our Malaysian investors, Vincent Tan in particular, that we want him to stay with us and that we love him,” said Davies.

“He feels he has offended Wales and we have to show him that isn’t the case.”

He was one of about a dozen fans who attended a two-hour meeting at the Cardiff City Stadium. They were told by chief executive Alan Whiteley that proposals by billionaire boss Vincent Tan to rebrand the Bluebirds, and change the home strip from red to blue, had been dropped. The move now raises questions about a reported £100m cash injection by Tan.

“I’m heartbroken, I was in tears of upset and anger,” said Davies. “I felt I had lost my club in there.”

City invited fans representing a number of groups including Cardiff City Supporters Club, Cardiff City Trust and message boards to break the news that major investor Tan had scrapped plans which had also included adopting a Welsh Dragon on the shirt badge.

Davies said: “I am angry with some of the fans, including some in the meeting, who said Vincent Tan should have consulted us.

“They think they are above themselves. This man has put [millions] into our football club and hasn’t taken a penny out. Nothing!

“He wants to put another reported £100m in for us to wear a red shirt.

“People say he should have consulted everybody. That’s rubbish. They don’t know what they are talking about. Does Roman Abramovic consult Chelsea fans before making any decisions? Of course not.”

He added: “We could play in pink pyjamas for me as long as my team are out there playing and competing at a high level.

“I want our football club to progress. With Vincent Tan’s backing we would have been a club without debt and all equity covered by him.

“It was expected Langston would be paid off pretty quickly – and other debts sorted out.

“He has plans for a fantastic new training ground in the city and money for Malky Mackay to strengthen the squad.

“All he asked was that we played in red. So what? We would still be Cardiff City through and through. Our history and heritage would still be intact.

“It’s red home, blue away. He was willing to compromise and had already agreed to include the Bluebird on a new badge. But too many people were against it without knowing the full story.”

Davies called on Bluebirds fans to show their support for the Malaysian investors.

“There is a board meeting early next week and TG [chairman Dato Chan Tien Ghee] will be attending. City fans should turn up in their thousands – and every one of us should wear red. We need banners proclaiming how much we love our Malaysian investors.

“If the Malaysian walk away we will be playing Welsh League football.”

Re: In May 2012,This is what was said when some of us said N

Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:07 pm

Well done, that man. He spoke for most of us at the time. Including me.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:08 pm

Colourblind wrote:Well done, that man. He spoke for most of us at the time. Including me.

And who are you?

Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:14 pm

And so we have some facts in 2010 I did welcome TG and I did hold a Malaysian Flag up to welcome him,who then knew what the future was going to be?

But as far as I am concerned TG did stick to his word,he said as long as he was at the club we would keep our identity,TG was eventually moved out of the club was disagreeing with Tan the Dictator :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

For me since May 2012,I have detested the Rebrand and through that,yes many City fans turned against me,but just shows they were not real friends in the first place :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

The Lone Gunman wrote:

In my report for CCMB dated 08/05/2012, I wrote:

"A straw poll of the thirteen supporters present was conducted on the subject of the changes to the club's colours and badge. One was in favour; two were indifferent, while the remainder were opposed and in some cases very strongly opposed. However, it was acknowledged by all present that the views of those attending the meeting were not necessarily representative of the fanbase as a whole."

I further clarified that point in a blog piece I wrote on 03/06/2012:

"Towards the end of the meeting on 8 May, a straw poll of the thirteen fans in attendance was held on the subject of the re-branding. This poll was conducted by club officials on the clear understanding of all present that the opinions being expressed were personal and in no way representative of the membership of the Cardiff City Supporters’ Club, the Cardiff City Supporters’ Trust, the Cardiff City Away Travel Group or the club’s wider fanbase."

Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:20 pm

Colourblind wrote:Well done, that man. He spoke for most of us at the time. Including me.

Obviously a JACK :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:48 pm

You can say whatever you like about gwyn but he is Cardiff city through and through and despite some people on here saying he didn't go pre Sam hamman days I know he did as I can remember gwyn ,big Sam,Tom and Mac down there

Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:57 pm

wez1927 wrote:You can say whatever you like about gwyn but he is Cardiff city through and through and despite some people on here saying he didn't go pre Sam hamman days I know he did as I can remember gwyn ,big Sam,Tom and Mac down there

Wez, No one has said he does not support Cardiff City?
Also why bring all the other names up,no one has mentioned them?
First ever time Ive seen their names mentioned and uve brought them up?

In fact in parts of the 80's and 90's Mac and I went to some away games together.
As to Big Sam, I would say hello to him at every home game in the 80's.

Also Wez, you were born in the 80's,so u cant really say much about the 80's and early 90's can u?

Also a bit like Tan nowadays,u dont hear/feel what we are seeing week in week out. :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

We are discussing the Rebrand,but for some reason uve changed the Topic?

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:27 pm

I saw a post not so long ago, not sure what site, where there was a transcript of letters from all prominent fans, and Gwyn again was there in a flash backing the rebrand. Ill try and find it now.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:31 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:You can say whatever you like about gwyn but he is Cardiff city through and through and despite some people on here saying he didn't go pre Sam hamman days I know he did as I can remember gwyn ,big Sam,Tom and Mac down there

In fact in parts of the 80's and 90's Mac and I went to some away games together.

Also Wez, you were born in the 80's,so u cant really say much about the 80's and early 90's can u?

Also a bit like Tan nowadays,u dont hear/feel what we are seeing week in week out. :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

cause this article being brought up seems to be having a dig at gwyn once again ,some on this board seem to snipe at him saying he didn't go before Sam hamman days when he did

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:32 pm

Dear Vincent and Dato, I am writing to you as a dedicated Cardiff City regular supporter for 67 years. "Dedicated" is not really a strong enough word.

We have been looking for a great many years for an enthusiastic, clever and mainly rich individual who would lift this "threadbare" club financially by the scruff the neck and put it where it belongs - amongst the elite in soccer.

This is, remember, the capital city of Wales. I fully understand the passion of fans who follow the City team in away games, often at great expense. But unfortunately it appears that a few of them do not reside in this tough world. The two of you, as businessmen, have the acumen to understand that the funding of this great but unfortunately penniless club must come from quite massive sales of some kind of product and it will not be from selling the club's history.

The Malaysian market would gobble up sales of City's red shirts, you say, and I have belief in your judgement. I want my great club to have a fantastic future and not just a great past. That City past can never be taken away whatever the colour of the shirt - home shirt or away shirt - and I do not want the potential disgrace of the great Glasgow Rangers club. So please ignore the sincere but dinosaur attitudes of those who - like a few Welsh Assembly Members - want the "penny and the bun", i.e. the blue shirt plus every bit of the money that only the red would sell for. Anyway, I like the idea that the best part of the whole Malaysian nation is crazy about Cardiff City.

What a brilliant human association of our peoples. So, gentlemen, compromise a little over the colour if you are able but please go ahead with your original plan. I shall be gutted if you do not!

And like very many thousands of other fans, I am extremely grateful for everything you have done for my club.

Many thanks from GEOFF EDMUNDS, fan since 1945.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

I would like to apologise for all the vitriol you have had to put up with. There were people who were pretending to be from our club who were jealous and they jumped on the bandwagon because a lot of people didn't want us to have that investment. But we can absolutely still make the Premier League. We know there's no investment in South Wales - that's pretty obvious.

What there is, has all got to be shared between the rugby and Swansea City - we know there's no other way.

But you are developing grassroots football in Malaysia with the Kuala Lumpur academy and we would like you to do that in South Wales. That's a model South Wales people should be proud of.

It is self-financing and in the future we could generate players and sell them on. We want to keep doing that rather than rely on investors having to keep plying money in. There's still a lot of goodwill and gratitude towards you and that will never change.

The stupid idiots who criticise you can stay out.

Yours sincerely, PAUL CORKREY (high-profile fan)

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Dear Mr Tan, I just hope you can accept the word sorry. It has been a really sad couple of days. We have now got to show you a bit of strength and unity and let you know that we are behind you and that we want you at our football club. It was obvious how much you loved being on the pitch after Crystal Palace and being at Wembley for the Carling Cup final with Liverpool and we have got to show you that is the future of Cardiff City. When Alan Whiteley read out that statement from TG I felt humbled. You have come over to our country, saved our football club, put all this money in and haven't even had a meal in a hotel on the club, not even had a taxi on the club. You provided a plane - your own personal plane - for our players to fly from Cardiff to Blackpool.

We know you're not taking a penny out. I ask you now, please put what has happened behind you and forget all the rubbish that has been said. It's just not on.

Yours sincerely, TONY JEFFRIES (long-time supporter)

Dear Mr Tan, I appeal to you - please do not be offended by some of the comments that we made.

I feel a lot of those were comments that were not from true fans but people who wanted to create problems and from those who might have come from outside our club.

We know some fans have taken the wrong attitude. I just hope you can forgive us and give us the chance to earn your trust again.

The majority of genuine fans appreciate what you have done and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. We only hope you stay with us because we want to form a strong bond. That's what most of us want.

And a lot of us are really embarrassed by some of the messages that have been put out there from people.

Success is assured if you stay on long term, and when you went around the pitch with TG (versus Crystal Palace) we could see you were taking it all in. You were glowing then and I think that was when you fell in love with Cardiff City.

I understand if you think a lot of the fans have turned on you, but honestly that's not the case.

Yours sincerely, GWYN DAVIES (Valley Rams supporters group)

Dear Mr Tan, My personal view is this could be a sad day for the future of Cardiff City Football Club.

You have been nothing more than honourable all the time you have been at the club, not taking a penny out of the club, just putting in close to pounds 40m over the past two years for nothing in return.

The personal abuse which I have read on social network sites and message boards has been nothing short of shocking, and you didn't deserve it after everything you have done for this football club.

My opinion on the matter was to accept the change for the future stability of the club, even though I am vehemently against it, and lobby in a peaceful and civil manner over the coming years to have it changed back.

I am a traditionalist, but what is the point of sticking to that if you haven't got a club at the end of it? I had 20 years of the lower divisions, for the record it was awful, I hated it.

At times 50 or 60 us going to away matches to watch us get thumped by Rochdale, no disrespect to Rochdale.

There are no more shining knights banging our door down to save the club, and if we keep driving owners and chairman like you out in the manner we do I can't see us attracting anyone.

Please stay.

Yours sincerely,VINCE ALM (Cardiff City Supporters Club)

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:34 pm

My first game was in 1988 and I used to go on a number of ccsc busses in the 80,s and 90s with Vince and at away games use to see gwyn and co

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:34 pm

Horrible reading. We were all caught up in it back then, and even though some hated it, there was a bigger part of the brain saying that we could be massive. What Gwyn did however was to impose his opinion on others which i disagree with completely.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:37 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

cause this article being brought up seems to be having a dig at gwyn once again ,some on this board seem to snipe at him saying he didn't go before Sam hamman days when he did

The article is about the facts regarding the Rebrand,u forget I thought I was good friends with Gwyn,but for some reason he went on some sort of crusade and turned against people like myself for still wanting to stay Blue?
Personally,No I never saw him before the Sam days and I virtually never missed a game.

You as well have backed the Red and Tan,but to be fair u still are,even though I cant understand why,but u have stuck by your beliefs.

What was all the other stuff u posted for? ? ? ??

Come on,uve tried to change a whole rebrand topic???

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:40 pm

Wez is this the same Gwyn that convinced you and others that apprantly I never went myself. Lol thankfully once we spoke earlier on in the week you now know the real truth.

As people know my old man played rugby with him for years and most of their games were on the Saturday afternoon. Lol

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:50 pm

annis, as roathie has just pointed out above, you also wanted Tan to stay here originally and i dont really see anything wrong with wanting that at the time.

wez1927 wrote:My first game was in 1988 and I used to go on a number of ccsc busses in the 80,s and 90s with Vince and at away games use to see gwyn and co

Ive not questioned your support years ago,till now?
Fair play going away when u were 8 & 9 years old during those troublesome times. I never started going away till I was 12yrs old as they were mad days.

I did not want to bring Vince in to it,but u have, Vince himself never went for 8 years due to family commitments during those yrs uve mentioned,Vince himself told me this.

The Supporters club was run by other people.

U seem intent on bringing other names in to this,yet we were talking about the Rebrand?

paulh_85 wrote:annis, as roathie has just pointed out above, you also wanted Tan to stay here originally and i dont really see anything wrong with wanting that at the time.

Ive never ever said Paul I wanted Tan to stay,It was TG I wanted to stay?

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:53 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:annis, as roathie has just pointed out above, you also wanted Tan to stay here originally and i dont really see anything wrong with wanting that at the time.

am i misreading something? the letters that roathie posted above, and they have been posted before a few times, were to Tan werent they?

certain fans were willing to begrudingly compromise but have since had the rug pulled under their feet, i dont see anything wrong in it personally

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:54 pm

We are full of them lately Annis, no wonder people dont like to post.
Last edited by TheRow on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:55 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

am i misreading something? the letters that roathie posted above, and they have been posted before a few times, were to Tan werent they?

certain fans were willing to begrudingly compromise but have since had the rug pulled under their feet, i dont see anything wrong in it personally

Paul, that is a fake letter and u wont find it on line regarding myself as I never wrote them a letter,My only comment to them was I will not apologires to Tan,end off,FACTS.

Look on line please :thumbright:

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:56 pm

annis instead of having a pathetic go at him on a messageboard. why dont you be man enough to say it to his face. this thread is just cowardly is my personal opinion.
im exact same age as wez (even same birthdate). i remember gwyn going in early 90s if that helps.not that it matters how long hes been going anyhow. i made a mistake of buying a red shirt and backing tan when he 1st arrived. huge mistake and something i have always regretted. i think it was the red or die threat and i thought i coukd handle red, which i clearly couldnt now. pretty sure everyones made mistakes in the past including yourself.
gwyn is cardiff through and through like yourself and now sees the light about wanting tan out of the club.
why the dig at him now ?
is it something to do with him and you being involved with started up this forum and you taking all the plaudits for it ?

I personally want all cardiff fans all together not in house bickering like this

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:59 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:My first game was in 1988 and I used to go on a number of ccsc busses in the 80,s and 90s with Vince and at away games use to see gwyn and co

Fair play going away when u were 8 & 9 years old during those troublesome times. I never started going away till I was 12yrs old as they were mad days.

I did not want to bring Vince in to it,but u have, Vince himself never went for 8 years due to family commitments during those yrs uve mentioned,Vince himself told me this.

U seem intent on bringing other names in to this,yet we were talking about the Rebrand?

My first Derby game was the fa cup game we lost 2-1 at the vetch I was 11 and I was hooked on them from then on ,but there could of been loads of different articles you could of posted but you done this one ? Just seems a bit of a dig at gwyn ,

Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:00 pm

Can someone provide a link to the actual page of these letters for me please

Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:01 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

My first Derby game was the fa cup game we lost 2-1 at the vetch I was 11 and I was hooked on them from then on ,but there could of been loads of different articles you could of posted but you done this one ? Just seems a bit of a dig at gwyn ,

Gwyn,led the Red campaign,no lies in that and so yes I have posted it,Gwyn will prob admit he led it.

But for some reason,u changed the whole topic? Why?

Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:01 pm

Military Junta wrote:Can someone provide a link to the actual page of these letters for me please

YES PLEASE :thumbright: :thumbright:

Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:02 pm

TheRow wrote:To be honest i didn't even notice your name in there Annis, it was more to show that the likes of Gwyn urged us all to back it.

My name was not in it,thats the funny story.

Can u give me a link to this on Wales on Line please? :thumbright:

Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:05 pm

Double G wrote:annis instead of having a pathetic go at him on a messageboard. why dont you be man enough to say it to his face. this thread is just cowardly is my personal opinion.
im exact same age as wez (even same birthdate). i remember gwyn going in early 90s if that helps.not that it matters how long hes been going anyhow. i made a mistake of buying a red shirt and backing tan when he 1st arrived. huge mistake and something i have always regretted. i think it was the red or die threat and i thought i coukd handle red, which i clearly couldnt now. pretty sure everyones made mistakes in the past including yourself.
gwyn is cardiff through and through like yourself and now sees the light about wanting tan out of the club.
why the dig at him now ?
is it something to do with him and you being involved with started up this forum and you taking all the plaudits for it ?

I personally want all cardiff fans all together not in house bickering like this

Gwyn posts many topics on me weekly,my first ever on him,I hope u said the same to him. :thumbright:

We have spoken many times to each other,face to face,ph etc and we both disagree on it all to this day. :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

I have not made up any lies about him,I would not do that.

Dont I get talked about else where 24/7, do u say the same to all them?

Also some talk about Gwyn,I hope u say the same :thumbright:

Ive not said one bad thing about Gwyn?

Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:06 pm

Foriever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Gwyn,led the Red campaign,no lies in that and so yes I have posted it,Gwyn will prob admit he led it.

But for some reason,u changed the whole topic? Why?

cause it seems Like another dig at gwyn that's why I said what I said

Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:32 pm

There you are I will lock topic, as I dont want to be the one accused of turning fan against fan.
As some of the posts I was just asked to delete was turning that way.

I WOULD RATHER US UNITE AS ONE AGAINST THE REBRAND.WHICH I HAVE WANTED FROM DAY ONE :thumbright: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Since earlier I have had more posters ask for posts to be deleted in the hope of Uniting us and not dividing us :thumbright: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: