Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Kadeem Harris helped Brentford,Now its City's turn '

Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:07 am

Cardiff City's judo black belt Kadeem Harris ready to kick-start Bluebirds' season against ex-loan club Brentford

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=151526 :thumbright:

Thurs Dec 18, 2014

By Terry Phillips

Kadeem Harris is on the verge of a full Bluebirds League debut against his former team Brentford, who are the visitors at the Cardiff City Stadium on Saturday

Judo black belt Kadeem Harris helped Brentford earn promotion to the Championship last season – and now he’s hoping to put the chop on the Bees’ bid to go up again.

Pace ace Harris scored two goals in 11 appearances for Brentford when he joined them on loan last season and the London club went on to secure automatic promotion. He would have stayed at Griffin Park longer, but suffered an injury which ended his season.

Now he is on the verge of a full Bluebirds League debut against his former team Brentford, who are the visitors at the Cardiff City Stadium on Saturday (3pm).

That would be his first taste of first team home action and all he needs is the nod from manager Russell Slade.

It was Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert, then in charge at Wycombe Wanderers, who first spotted the sizzling speed Harris can generate.

Lambert signed him for Wycombe and Malky Mackay brought him to Cardiff, predicting Harris would become a Championship star. New manager Russell Slade clearly agrees with that assessment.

Harris has a new contract through to 2017 and made his League debut for City at Bournemouth last weekend.

He took over from Kim Bo-Kyung in midfield, settled in quickly and produced quick and effective runs down the wing.

Harris has had to be patient since signing for Cardiff, hampered by injuries and overlooked at times just when it looked as though his chance was about to come.

Now he is closer than ever and with Anthony Pilkington still on his way back from injury Harris will surely start against Brentford.

Kim Bo-Kyung is unlikely to be given a third chance to shine, having failed to find his best against Rotherham and Bournemouth, while Norwegian teenager Mats Daehli seems to have been left on the fringes.

The Bluebirds paid Wycombe £150,000 for Harris three years ago and it looks likely he will be given a chance over the rest of this season to show that was a bargain buy.

Harris has an abundance of raw talent, a good attitude and work ethic, is usually smiling during training sessions and describes himself as ‘confident, but not arrogant.’

“It was great to make my league debut at Bournemouth,” said Harris. “It’s just unfortunate that the result didn’t top off a great day for me. Hopefully I can get more appearances and be a part of wins.

“The new manager has shown a lot of faith in me and I’m over the moon with that.

“I will work to repay him in many ways and my aim is to keep putting in performances and offering a lot to the team. Hopefully my appearance wasn’t a one off.”

Lambert was the Wycombe manager who spotted Harris playing Sunday football as a schoolboy. He made his debut for Wanderers at the 16 years, 201 days, which made him the clubs youngest ever player at the time, and he made 26 appearances before joining Cardiff.

Harris, from Westminster in London, has shone for City’s under-21 development team over the last two seasons when they finished top of their table.

He has battled with Craig Bellamy, Kim, Craig Conway, Pilkington, Craig Noone and more for a starting place on the wing and how he would love Slade to give him the nod and unleash the speed king against the Bees this Saturday. Harris was an accomplished judo player as a schoolboy, but decided to focus on football when Lambert watched a Wycombe trial match and signed him on junior forms.

He was Football League Apprentice of the Year in 2011 and is now looking to make his mark at Championship level.

“My dream is to be part of a promotion-winning team,” says Harris, who missed out under Mackay but is determined to make the most of his opportunity under Slade. “I know that’s a big challenge for me, but it’s something I will give everything to achieve.”

He has been an unused substitute several times for league matches, while he made his debut in a 2-1 FA Cup third round defeat at Macclesfield Town. Harris has played in three cup ties for the Bluebirds and is now hoping to be given his full debut against Brentford.

Pilkington is on the mend after his hamstring injury and is back in training, but he won’t be available this weekend.

Harris for Kim could be the only change made by Slade, although Bruno Manga is now available at centre-back. City have an analysed their poor defensive performance during the 5-3 defeat at Bournemouth and Slade will think long and hard before making selection decisions in the back four.

John Brayford is playing on the left when he is a natural right-back, while centre-half Matt Connolly is being utilised wide in the back four and Fabio is out of the team.

Manga hasn’t played for six weeks, suffering an injury at Bolton during early November, but has been training and needs matches before heading off to the Africa Cup of Nations finals in January.

He will be available for City’s first Championship match of 2015, against Fulham at home on Saturday, January 15, but will miss Norway (away), Middlesbrough (away) and Derby (home) during January and probably more. The Bluebirds have earned 17 points from 10 League matches under Slade, and they need a big performance against Brentford.

Re: ' Kadeem Harris helped Brentford,Now its City's turn '

Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:14 am

Hungry with a desire to play football and do well for this club
everyone else needs to take a leaf out of his book.

hel end up our star player when the rest get sold on in January and july

Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:10 am

2 points to make. 1. Norway away is a hell of a trip. 2. Harris will need to go for goal himself as no one else will be able to keep up with him. The same problem Bellamy had in his first season with us.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:19 pm

Really deserves a start against Brentford, he really made a impact when he came on at Bournmouth. Kimbo should surely lose his place for Kadeem who's pace and eagerness to impress, could really be a thorn in the side of his former team mates. BLUEBIRDS

Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:32 pm

loadsa51 wrote:2 points to make. 1. Norway away is a hell of a trip. 2. Harris will need to go for goal himself as no one else will be able to keep up with him. The same problem Bellamy had in his first season with us.

:laughing6:

Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:37 pm

loadsa51 wrote:2 points to make. 1. Norway away is a hell of a trip. 2. Harris will need to go for goal himself as no one else will be able to keep up with him. The same problem Bellamy had in his first season with us.

:lol: I can't wait to go to Norway away :thumbup: