Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' SLADE MUST BRING THE BEST OUT OF HIM '

Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:36 pm

Friday 28th November 2014

Cardiff City manager Russell Slade must find a way to bring the best out of Adam Le Fondre

Le Fondre has struggled to find the back of the net since his summer move to the Bluebirds from Reading

When Adam Le Fondre joined Cardiff City in the summer, it appeared a sensible move for both parties.

The highly-rated striker was joining a side recently relegated from the Premier League, with a budget to ensure a swift return.

A target in the previous transfer window, Le Fondre was linking up with a manager who was his idol as a player and who could refine his existing skill set.

For Cardiff, they were signing a proven goal scorer with Premier League experience, with more than a passing resemblance to Michael Chopra.

A like for like replacement for the departing Fraizer Campbell, who Cardiff had become far too dependent upon. But it has not quite worked out as planned. Not yet anyway.

Initially stationed out wide by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Le Fondre featured heavily in August but fell out of favour in September, when the Norwegian was dismissed.

He proved to be a victim of Solskjaer’s maddening urge to chop and change, but has since become one of Russell Slade’s favoured men.

Le Fondre has started in each of Slade’s seven games in charge, but the goals have yet to flow.

He has scored only once, a heavily deflected effort in the 3-1 win over Ipswich. Le Fondre appears to be one the few players who can consider themselves fortunate to be an automatic choice, especially when you consider the depth of available options in a hefty, talented squad.

His strike partner Federico Macheda is another first choice, but is more fortunate to be so, in my opinion, even though he is outscoring Le Fondre.

Cardiff have a 100 per cent home record under Slade, which is not to be sniffed at, but they have rode their luck at times. Including Macheda, in my view.

He has developed the knack of underwhelming me with his performance, yet still popping up with a goal.

However, away from home, when Cardiff have far less of the ball, I believe Macheda isn’t as effective.

Whatever you think of 4-4-2 and the system’s merits home and away, if you select a pair of strikers for an away fixture they have to justify their inclusion ahead of another midfielder.

I believe Le Fondre does this with his tireless work ethic but something isn’t working and that is reflected by a sequence of poor results.

From what I’ve seen of Javi Guerra, he looks head and shoulders better than his contemporaries, but is evidently out of favour and likely to depart in January, which is a shame.

Kenwyne Jones has exceeded very low pre-season expectations and offers a tall, physical presence that is currently lacking. There is an outcry for his inclusion and he certainly deserves more game-time, although he does not appear built for two games a week, almost every week.

Nicky Maynard, who has endured rotten luck since joining the club, was a surprise starter at the beginning of the campaign and did not do a lot wrong before finding himself back on the periphery.

Out of contract in the summer, Cardiff should cash in on him in January or look to extend his current contract. Stylistically similar to Le Fondre, it would be interesting to see whether they would click as a pairing.

Assuming Guerra is out of bounds, I would like to see Maynard and Le Fondre utilised at home, with Kenwyne Jones as a sole forward on the road, supported by Ravel Morrison in a free role.

This would provide an injection of pace at Cardiff City Stadium, plus an outlet and greater creativity away. I’m sure if you spoke a number of Cardiff fans, they would have different ideas and suggestions, which is inevitable when presented with so many options and variables.

But what is clear is that after a period of stability, a little bit of experimentation is in order.

Le Fondre and Macheda look a little short of confidence at the moment. In Le Fondre, that is manifesting itself in the way he is snatching at chances he would ordinarily put away without a second thought.

If we are to see the best of Le Fondre, he may need a different strike partner.

Re: ' SLADE MUST BRING THE BEST OUT OF HIM '

Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:46 pm

he is getting some chances, as that report states he doesn't seem calm in front of goal, he's thinking about what he's doing as opposed to doing what he's done throughout his career, namely to stick the ball in the onion bag.

i don't think this is a question of slade getting the best out of him, more that le fondre needs to look a little closer to home as to why he can't finish for toffee at the moment.

Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:18 pm

Le Fondre will do the business if we give him the ball and support :thumbright:

Macheda for me this season,time and time again has had chances only to fail and in my opinion,only Macheda to blame,is he good enough?

Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:40 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Le Fondre will do the business if we give him the ball and support :thumbright:

Macheda for me this season,time and time again has had chances only to fail and in my opinion,only Macheda to blame,is he good enough?

Machedavwill have a better shot to goal ratio to all, except possibly Guerra, personally he's pisses me off a bit, but him the ball in the box and more often than not he will do the Strikers job, which is score.........

Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:44 pm

:sleepy2: give someone else a chance!

Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:19 pm

C'mon Slade give Javi Guerra a run of games. Or are you afraid of what Tan will say if you pick our best striker.