Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" UPDATED " ' WIGAN CHAIRMAN CHARGED '

Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:26 pm

Thursday 27th November 2014

Wigan Chairman Dave Whelan has been charged by the FA.

Mr Whelan has until 5th December 2014 to respond to the charge.

' UPDATED '

Dave Whelan: FA charges Wigan chairman for newspaper comments

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has been charged by the Football Association over comments he made about Jewish and Chinese people in an interview.
Whelan, 77, has apologised for the comments and has until 18:00 GMT on 5 December to respond to the FA charge.
It is alleged his original statements were "abusive and/or insulting and/or constitute improper conduct and/or bring the game into disrepute".
Whelan has also insisted that he was misquoted in the newspaper interview.
He has previously said he will resign from his position at the Latics if the FA punishes him for the controversy.

Dave Whelan should step aside - Mark Lawrenson
Whelan made the comments to The Guardian while defending his decision to appoint Malky Mackay as Wigan manager, who is still being investigated by the FA over claims the Scot sent texts of a homophobic, racist and sexist nature while in charge at Cardiff.
The charge includes an alleged "aggravated breach" of FA Rule E3 [2] as Whelan's comments included "a reference to ethnic origin and/or race and/or nationality and/or religion or belief".
Whelan, who played for Blackburn and Crewe during his career, became chairman of Wigan Athletic in February 1995, with the side in the third tier of English football.
Ten years later they won promotion to the Premier League for the first time and spent eight years there before winning the FA Cup in 2013 - the first major trophy in their history.
But they were also relegated in 2012-13, lost in the Championship play-offs last season and have struggled in 2014-15.
In November, Whelan sacked Uwe Rosler and replaced him with Mackay despite the Scot being under investigation by the FA.
Whelan, criticised for that decision, then agreed to an interview with The Guardian, in which he reportedly suggested Mackay's messages - alleged to include a derogatory reference to Jewish football agent Phil Smith - were not particularly offensive.
The newspaper claimed Whelan said "Jewish people chase money more than everybody else", and that he also defended Mackay's use of the term "chink" to describe a Chinese person.

Re: ' WIGAN CHAIRMAN CHARGED '

Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:34 pm

So when is he resigning then

Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:05 pm

Racist chairman, racist manager, sh*t rugby league town. Hope they get relegated.

Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:31 pm

loughorriotsquad wrote:Racist chairman, racist manager, sh*t rugby league town. Hope they get relegated.

Innocent until proven guilty. Unless they disagree with you eh?

Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:37 pm

abergblue wrote:
loughorriotsquad wrote:Racist chairman, racist manager, sh*t rugby league town. Hope they get relegated.

Or sticking by St Malky regardless of what disgraceful thing he does from week to week, be it all alleged embezzlement, racially a using a player or sending racist and homophobic texts.

Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:42 pm

Better yet is the slating of Tan regardless of how much money he pumps into the club. I'm sure HM revenue and customs would love to get reacquainted.0

Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:48 pm

loughorriotsquad wrote:
abergblue wrote:

Or sticking by St Malky regardless of what disgraceful thing he does from week to week, be it all alleged embezzlement, racially a using a player or sending racist and homophobic texts.

Like you said alleged embezzlement - wheres the proof? Again guilty without proven, just because he may have said something you did not like.
The club did not lose money on players he purchased (apart from maybe one, and that was covered by other sales/profits).
Who agreed the purchases, who signed the contracts, who signed the cheques? I suspect it was Tan or one of his cronies, several of whom were appointed by him based on their ethnicity and not their capability to do the job.

Unlike you I give people a chance not want to slag people off at any opprtunity (to be in with the crowd, linch mob).
What disgraceful things is he doing week to week?
When did he racially abuse a player?

Try providing proof not made up unproven allegations.

Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:09 pm

abergblue wrote:
loughorriotsquad wrote:
abergblue wrote:

Like you said alleged embezzlement - wheres the proof? Again guilty without proven, just because he may have said something you did not like.
The club did not lose money on players he purchased (apart from maybe one, and that was covered by other sales/profits).
Who agreed the purchases, who signed the contracts, who signed the cheques? I suspect it was Tan or one of his cronies, several of whom were appointed by him based on their ethnicity and not their capability to do the job.

Unlike you I give people a chance not want to slag people off at any opprtunity (to be in with the crowd, linch mob).

He's never done anything that's annoyed me personally. I read the facts in the media like everyone else and I make a judgement. He called Tan a "chink" in a text message and Moody alluded to him being racist in another text as well. He's looking pretty racist at the minute.

Moody lost his job over financial discrepancies so he was acting in a manner that the club wasn't happy with. Whoever sanctioned the transfers was either unaware of the full provisions of the contracts and didn't realise what they were sanctioning, or they were in on it. This is all investigation pending but Moody and Malky dropped their legal cases against the club. Why would they do that if they had legitimate claims for unfair dismissal?

You can keep backing Malky if you want and wait for an official charge that will never come from a corrupt FA, which is up to it's neck in sh*t from accusations of similar actions and attitudes.

You remove the anti tan/pro malky rose tinted spectacles from your eyes and assess how blameless you really think he is. A small fortune is wasted in the transfer window, revelations about racist texts are all over the papers and the only person who will employ him is a chairman now under investigation for alleged racial and anti-Semitic abuse!

Now you tell me how this looks.

Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:56 pm

Santa Ponsa Blue wrote:Thursday 27th November 2014

Wigan Chairman Dave Whelan has been charged by the FA.

Mr Whelan has until 5th December 2014 to respond to the charge.

I knew it, he was mad taking Malky, the media will be all over him and Malky, they won't let up on this one...........

Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:46 pm

loughorriotsquad wrote:
abergblue wrote:
loughorriotsquad wrote:
abergblue wrote:

He's never done anything that's annoyed me personally. I read the facts in the media like everyone else and I make a judgement. He called Tan a "chink" in a text message and Moody alluded to him being racist in another text as well. He's looking pretty racist at the minute.

Moody lost his job over financial discrepancies so he was acting in a manner that the club wasn't happy with. Whoever sanctioned the transfers was either unaware of the full provisions of the contracts and didn't realise what they were sanctioning, or they were in on it. This is all investigation pending but Moody and Malky dropped their legal cases against the club. Why would they do that if they had legitimate claims for unfair dismissal?

You can keep backing Malky if you want and wait for an official charge that will never come from a corrupt FA, which is up to it's neck in sh*t from accusations of similar actions and attitudes.

You remove the anti tan/pro malky rose tinted spectacles from your eyes and assess how blameless you really think he is. A small fortune is wasted in the transfer window, revelations about racist texts are all over the papers and the only person who will employ him is a chairman now under investigation for alleged racial and anti-Semitic abuse!

You lost me at 'Facts' in the media. The all reliable media!

And your right everyone that has used the word chink in a private text should be condemned to a life of public humiliation and refused jobs everywhere because they are a racist pig :roll:

Re: " UPDATED " ' WIGAN CHAIRMAN CHARGED '

Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:54 pm

Mountain out of a mole hill, springs to mind :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:54 pm

Why is it that have charged him but not Malky yet ? Anyone know why this is

Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:59 am

Good bloke Whelen & a great chairman.
Would swop him with our lunatic anytime.

Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:34 am

nubbsy wrote:
loughorriotsquad wrote:
abergblue wrote:
loughorriotsquad wrote:
abergblue wrote:

And your right everyone that has used the word chink in a private text should be condemned to a life of public humiliation and refused jobs everywhere because they are a racist pig :roll:

So all that's been reported in the media are defamatory statements? Malky must be preparing one hell of a libel case if some of what's been said is simply not true.

And a private text message? He was using work equipment so that shatters any notion of privacy. Send an email on a work computer and see if the word "chink" doesn't get you in trouble.

Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:16 pm

loughorriotsquad wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
loughorriotsquad wrote:
abergblue wrote:
loughorriotsquad wrote:
abergblue wrote:

So all that's been reported in the media are defamatory statements? Malky must be preparing one hell of a libel case if some of what's been said is simply not true.

And a private text message? He was using work equipment so that shatters any notion of privacy. Send an email on a work computer and see if the word "chink" doesn't get you in trouble.

If you want to believe that the media never tells lies, exaggerates the truth or leaves important information out then that's fine you carry on living in your bubble.

I'm not saying what he done was right. I'm just saying there are a hell of a lot of hypocrites out there and just because someone makes a joke to a mate (without harmful intentions toward others) and someone else finds it and takes offence it doesn't make them a racist. I've told and laughed at jokes about all sorts of below the belt issues does that make me a bad person? A racist or homophobic? It's just our media making an example out of someone and people like you lapping it up like a mug when let's be fair there are FAR more serious and actually cases of racism that they don't report because it doesn't sell their papers.

Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:19 pm

And for your information I work with people from different ethnicities and we all rip each other within reason because I don't work in a nancy pance office and we don't cry over spilt milk.

Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:49 pm

I'm sure tan feels happy by this - the tw*t is more interested in the running of Wigan and the fa than he is with ensuring his own house is in order.

This that thinks tan is squeaky clean then maybe you should do some digging - the truth isn't hard to find regarding corruption, bullying andtreatment of employees. But I guess some are still blinded by his money.

tan - you do not own Wigan, you own Cardiff city - start acting like it

Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:44 pm

nubbsy wrote:And for your information I work with people from different ethnicities and we all rip each other within reason because I don't work in a nancy pance office and we don't cry over spilt milk.

Well said although a few namby pamby saints on here will now be up in arms.

Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:34 pm

nubbsy wrote:And for your information I work with people from different ethnicities and we all rip each other within reason because I don't work in a nancy pance office and we don't cry over spilt milk.

That doesn't make it right, though, in either direction! ;) :roll:

Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:42 pm

though this isn't bigoted office workers we're talking about, we're talking about a chairman of a football club who has just hired a racist manager and made further comments indicating his ignorance and insensitivity towards the jewish faith.

he knows full well he shouldn't have said what he said.

Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:29 pm

SwampCCFC wrote:

though this isn't bigoted office workers we're talking about, we're talking about a chairman of a football club who has just hired a racist manager and made further comments indicating his ignorance and insensitivity towards the jewish faith.

he knows full well he shouldn't have said what he said.

Of course he does but in my opinion it doesn't make him racist.

Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:44 pm

Until the whole Malky saga comes out from the investigation, it is difficult to make a judgement.

Equally, why did Tan turn on him? I don't think the texts were stumbled upon by accident. They went through thousands of messages to find the allegedly racist and sexist comments. Why???

I think there is something more to it. There have been rumours of financial improprieties. I feel that these are far more likely to have prompted Tan's actions.

Either way, Whelan made an impetuous appointment when he could have promised Malky a job privately pending the outcome of the investigation, but instead chose to appoint. And now there are allegations about him. It could be the media just trying to sell papers, but don't forget he has been charged.

Malky could have kept CCFC in the Premier League. You never know. We could have beaten the Jacks for an historical double. We'll never know.

At least RS seems to be a straight-up guy. We can do without further distraction at the club.

:bluescarf:

Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:48 am

I like Whelan but too much of a media whore at times.