' Jason Perry & Darren Purse '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:56 am

:ayatollah: 'JASON PERRY & DARREN PURSE ' :ayatollah:

TWO GREAT LEADERS/MAYBE THATS WHAT WE ARE MISSING?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=150716 :thumbright: :bluescarf:

Bluebirds need to show mental strength to stop away-day blues

Thursday Nov 27, 2014

By Steve Tucker

Former skippers Darren Purse and Jason Perry agree travel sickness is all in the mind

It may be hard to believe, but it’s been 25 league matches since Cardiff City last savoured the delight of an away-day victory.

They go to Watford tomorrow looking for a cure for the travel sickness that is threatening to derail their hopes of a Championship title bid.

While all is well at the Cardiff City Stadium, Russell Slade picking up five home wins out of five since his reign began in October, the Bluebirds have been unable to replicate that form away from the Welsh capital.

Their blues on the road stretch a lot further than Slade’s tenure or even this season, indeed they reach back right across the previous Premier League campaign too.

Cardiff have not won on the road in the league since April 12 when they triumphed 1-0 at Southampton thanks to a goal from centre-half Juan Cala. The Spaniard, ironically, is now embroiled in a war of words with the club after being sent to train with Cardiff’s youngsters.

But even that win proved an isolated case. The Bluebirds’ previous away win, aside from a couple of FA Cup victories. came on September 28, 2013, when they won 2-1 at Fulham under then-boss Malky Mackay.

So, how do you cure a severe case of travel sickness?

Juan Cala scores for Cardiff against Southampton - the Bluebirds' last away win in the leagueJuan Cala scores for Cardiff against Southampton - the Bluebirds' last away win in the league

Well, two of Cardiff’s toughest past skippers think the solution is all in the mind and that the Bluebirds squad need a head start to begin believing they can end the hoodoo.

“In my experience, in practical terms, there’s little difference between playing at home and playing away,” said Darren Purse, a no-nonsense centre-half with 123 Cardiff appearances to his name.

“Sure, you are travelling, but that’s by luxury coach and more often than not you are staying overnight. It’s not an issue.

“I can totally understand why Cardiff have an easier time picking up results at home, it’s because of the fans and the crowd, I’ve experienced that plenty of times myself. The noise and intimidation factor can be massive in Cardiff and that definitely gives them an edge.

“Away from home, of course, you don’t have that and that is where that little bit of mental strength comes in. You need the ability to just dig in and grind out a result and that is maybe where the Cardiff players are just slightly lacking right now.

“You are walking out at the Cardiff City Stadium and you are thinking, ‘I fancy this, we are winning here, doing well’. But away from home, when you are not picking up results, it is easy to lapse into a negative mind-set. It does become a ‘thing’ in the dressing room if you are not careful, you don’t talk about it, but it is there.”

But Purse, who has retired from the game now after a distinguished career, believes the Bluebirds may have taken their first step to finding a cure thanks to their previous result away from home.

Last time out on the road they battled out a 0-0 draw at St Andrew’s against Birmingham. It was their first away point under Slade and only their second clean-sheet of the season.

Purse added: “That’s something right there. That is something to build on. Birmingham have been improving and to take at least something at St Andrew’s is a result. The clean-sheet is important. If you are going to arrest an away run like they are on, you are most likely going to do it with a scrappy 1-0 win. That’s what they will be looking to do at Watford now.’

Jason Perry, another battling former Cardiff skipper and centre-half, agrees with Purse that the Bluebirds must be careful of slipping into a downward spiral of negativity when on their travels.

But the man known affectionately as ‘Psycho’ by Cardiff supporters also sees more practical reasons as to why City are finding it hard to make the breakthrough away from the Welsh capital.“One reason is that the side lacks pace, simple as that,” observed Perry.

“People say Slade has a big squad, but for me it is an uneven one, Over-stocked in some areas it may be, but it is lacking in others and one area it is lacking is when it comes to players with a bit of pace.

“Being strong in defence away from home is fine, but the difficult thing on the road is turning defence into attack quickly and that is where Cardiff are falling down right now.

“The aim away from home is to go out there and keep the home supporters quiet, you do that either with possession, by frustrating them or ideally by grabbing a goal of your own. The Bluebirds need to start well away and often they don’t and if they fall behind you fear they don’t have the character to get back into the match.”

Slade is expected to stick to his 4-4-2 formation at Watford, with Matt Connolly continuing at right-back instead of Fabio and Adam Le Fondre leading the line alongside Federico Macheda despite the availability of Kenwyne Jones.

Watford, who have suffered three successive defeats and are seventh in the Championship, three points ahead of the Bluebirds, have signed Crystal Palace midfielder Adlene Guedioura on loan, and the Algeria international is expected to start at Vicarage Road.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ' Jason Perry & Darren Purse '

Postby Stringfellow » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:38 pm

It's def a mental thing but oh for a Jason perry or Darren Purse right now. Mark Hudson should be leading that team out, that was a ridiculous decision where the players ability as an individual was preferred to what Hudson can bring to the team. We do however have good centre halves but the desire and will to win needs to come from all 11.
You have to go through the bad times to appreciate the good times!!!
Stringfellow

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:57 pm

Stringfellow wrote:It's def a mental thing but oh for a Jason perry or Darren Purse right now. Mark Hudson should be leading that team out, that was a ridiculous decision where the players ability as an individual was preferred to what Hudson can bring to the team. We do however have good centre halves but the desire and will to win needs to come from all 11.

Totally agree with you regarding Mark Hudson :thumbright:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Stringfellow » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:34 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Stringfellow wrote:It's def a mental thing but oh for a Jason perry or Darren Purse right now. Mark Hudson should be leading that team out, that was a ridiculous decision where the players ability as an individual was preferred to what Hudson can bring to the team. We do however have good centre halves but the desire and will to win needs to come from all 11.

Totally agree with you regarding Mark Hudson :thumbright:

But we can't go back only forward! Need a few leaders come Jan
Stringfellow

Postby mr_nellio » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:53 pm

Hudson brought leadership which IMO we appear to be severely lacking especially away from home.
Blue for life
mr_nellio

Postby DEANO » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:04 pm

great for 4th division
DEANO

Postby 2blue2handle » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:16 pm

I just think its the way we set up away from home, 4-4-2 away from home just leaves us to open.

Slade keeps on saying the record stretches back 18 months but that doesnt wash with me, most of those games were prem games where we were the underdogs.
2blue2handle

Postby Bobbank59 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:20 pm

Mark Hudson - an excellent captain and, apart from Manga, as good if not better than the other centre backs at The City.
Bobbank59

Postby Stringfellow » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:06 pm

Bobbank59 wrote:Mark Hudson - an excellent captain and, apart from Manga, as good if not better than the other centre backs at The City.

Can't disagree with that
Stringfellow

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:06 pm

Stringfellow wrote:
Bobbank59 wrote:Mark Hudson - an excellent captain and, apart from Manga, as good if not better than the other centre backs at The City.

Can't disagree with that

We lost a good one there.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby sloper_road_legend » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:04 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Stringfellow wrote:

Can't disagree with that

We lost a good one there.

For me he was great 2 years ago, never played in the prem and was a little off his best this season.

I still think Bellamy give us something extra special, pure desire and determination and players had admiration of his footballing ability throughout the team it created 'the Bellamy effect'
every player on that pitch had more confidence from his presence I kid you not
sloper_road_legend

Postby cwmbachbluebird » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:14 pm

Ben Turner would do the job
Eddie Mays Barmy Army
R.I.P Speedo...Wales forever.
cwmbachbluebird

Postby goats » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:25 pm

I doubt Purse has been to the CCS fir a while as he thinks it's noisy and intimidating, if only.
goats

Postby 2blue2handle » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:32 pm

Stringfellow wrote:

Can't disagree with that

Quality wise I agree but lets be fair he had a lot of injuries and I totally believe we were right to move him on and give others a chance.
2blue2handle

Postby Leytonstoneblue » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:43 pm

cwmbachbluebird wrote:Ben Turner would do the job

There's a lot more to come from Ben Turner. In this league he is quality. If him and Manga stay fit they will prove rock solid :thumbup:
5 Live commentary, English Wigan V Welsh Wigan April 2013,
" it's gone a bit quiet with the Wigan fans and there aren't enough Swansea fans to make a noise"
Leytonstoneblue

Postby Stringfellow » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:51 pm

Leytonstoneblue wrote:
cwmbachbluebird wrote:Ben Turner would do the job

There's a lot more to come from Ben Turner. In this league he is quality. If him and Manga stay fit they will prove rock solid :thumbup:

I am a Hudson fan but agree with your post, like to see some leadership from turner to go with his defending.
Stringfellow

Return to General Chat