Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" A letter to the Echo from a City fan of 70 plus years '

Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:43 pm

Do you agree Agree or Disagree?

What Cardiff City supporter of more than 70 years, Peter Fryer, has to say on current Bluebirds in impassioned letter

Wednesday Nov 26, 2014

By Paul Abbandonato
Mr Fryer outlines concerns on style, leadership, direction and the Bluebirds' management. Here's his no holds barred verdict...

SIR -
My first game I watched at Ninian Park was in the 1940s and Cardiff were in the third division south .

I have supported the City ever since and I am a great admirer of what Mr Tan has done for the club.

Like it or not, without him City would have gone into administration and would be another Portsmouth wearing BLUE.

However, I must say that I am extremely worried about the current situation on and off the park. It is the style of play in particular that is a worry to me.

Mr Slade has no experience whatsoever of Championship football which as we know is very very competitive.

Our midfield at present goes missing for too many times during games and our back four resort to good old fashioned big boot tactics.

We can watch that every Saturday on local parks.

Slade is playing with two wingers who constantly come inside when they have the ball making the pitch too small.

I believe that Scott Young is having too much input into the current team as Slade continually discusses things with him during matches... we never saw that with Malky, who quite rightly managed his team on and off the pitch.

This team lacks leadership and direction on and off the pitch. How can a goalkeeper captain this lot? We need a leader with fire in his belly... someone like Mr Kavanagh!

I realise Mr Slade is new to the job but already alarm bells are ringing re: his style of play. No wonder there is such a poor atmosphere in the stadium.

We must have better midfield players in the squad than Mr Slade or Mr Young are playing at present.

Look forward to hearing your comments on this subject

Regards
Peter Fryer

Re: " A letter to the Echo from a City fan of 70 plus years

Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:49 pm

I agree about the awful football and No leader out there.

But totally disagree regarding Tan and our identity and Pompey :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:09 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I agree about the awful football and No leader out there.

But totally disagree regarding Tan and our identity and Pompey :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

but the footballs been shit for years. :?

look at this comment

Mr Slade has no experience whatsoever of Championship football which as we know is very very competitive.

so if we all know its very competitive, perhaps slade does too?

he's playing the same two midfielders that Ole and Malky used, and getting more out of them so far than either of the last two guys in charge.

People just want to complain for the sake of it. If Pulis was in charge and we had taken 13 points from 7 games everyone would be happy, but no.... its a manager who apparently doesnt know what hes doing because he was 1 division lower.... pathetic :roll:

Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:54 pm

I also have supported cardiff for 81 year, my first game being a reserve game at Ninian with my father. In those days we watched first team and reserves on alternate weeks.

Having read the previous post I find that there is not one paragraph with which I disagree and also find myself beginning to doubt the ability of Mr Slade and his "mentor" Scott Young to improve matters.

Suffice to say that if nothing changes I would expect us to be soon playing to attendances very similar to the bad old days in the third division.

Lastly, Mr Slade it is many years since I and the crowd around me have been so totally bored watching our team.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:08 pm

paulh_85 wrote:

but the footballs been shit for years. :?

look at this comment

so if we all know its very competitive, perhaps slade does too?

he's playing the same two midfielders that Ole and Malky used, and getting more out of them so far than either of the last two guys in charge.

People just want to complain for the sake of it. If Pulis was in charge and we had taken 13 points from 7 games everyone would be happy, but no.... its a manager who apparently doesnt know what hes doing because he was 1 division lower.... pathetic :roll:

Paul,The football has not been class, but at least we have always had leaders and battlers in the past :thumbright: :thumbright:

Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:10 pm

azzuri wrote:I also have supported cardiff for 81 year, my first game being a reserve game at Ninian with my father. In those days we watched first team and reserves on alternate weeks.

Having read the previous post I find that there is not one paragraph with which I disagree and also find myself beginning to doubt the ability of Mr Slade and his "mentor" Scott Young to improve matters.

Suffice to say that if nothing changes I would expect us to be soon playing to attendances very similar to the bad old days in the third division.

Lastly, Mr Slade it is many years since I and the crowd around me have been so totally bored watching our team.

Good on you my friend :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluescarf:

I use to love watching the Combination games on Wednesday, crowds of 300-400 and enjoyable games at Ninian Park :thumbright:

Slade,Young and Gabbidon have No Championship experience at all in management and its a big worry.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:15 pm

Agree. Performance wise we are definitely going backwards. What concerns me is the lack of experience at this level and the teams that are being picked. I do support every City manager but the doubts arise when they start playing players out of position, ignore quality players and think that players like Macheda deserves a start!

Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:16 pm

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:

Agree. Performance wise we are definitely going backwards. What concerns me is the lack of experience at this level and the teams that are being picked. I do support every City manager but the doubts arise when they start playing players out of position, ignore quality players and think that players like Macheda deserves a start!

Exactly how I feel and as fans we should be allowed to say our true feelings/opinions :thumbright:

Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:24 pm

azzuri wrote:I also have supported cardiff for 81 year, my first game being a reserve game at Ninian with my father. In those days we watched first team and reserves on alternate weeks.

Yep me too, bored to tears and demoralised.

Loads of fans around me in the Ninian saying the same

And a lot more posters on here no doubt, if they are honest.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:35 pm

What really is concerning us that some fans cannot see beyond the 3 points!

Yes, Slade has picked up 4 home wins, however look at those performances and the away performances. We have been fortunate to pick up the wins. Some say we got the 3 points last Friday against Reading. Obviously points count and a win us a win but the concern is that won't happen every time. Our performance was abysmal and we were lucky to come away with a win. We did not deserve the win and you could argue probably not the draw either. We were terrible.

Fans want more than the points. Fans pay good, hard earned money to be entertained by THEIR team. Who wants to go out on a cold, damp night to be served up with a lot of rubbish? There is no wonder that the crowds are dwindling. There could have only been 14-15k in the stadium against Reading. Even when we found ourselves to be 2-0 up by fortune instead of going forwRd and killing Reading off we sat back and played middle of the park football passing from side to side. We couldn't even string a series of passes together.

Let's hope that our performances improve.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:42 pm

I agree with most of this, apart from the Tan bit. I appreciate that he stepped in and kept us in business, but the club that he saved is not the same club that he owns now. I can't understand how someone who could not succeed in Welsh League management appears to be having so much input into a Championship side, doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Not sure about Slade yet, hasn't done too badly so far, but the football on show at the moment is dire, and I have my doubts that he is the man for the job. Looks like he is going to be at a disadvantage to the last couple of managers as he is will not get the sort of money they had to spend.
I think that taking everything into account, staying in the Championship and avoiding relegation during the next few seasons will be all we can hope for. We are looking like a club who are a million miles from seeing Premiership football anytime soon.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:57 pm

I agree with most of this INCLUDING the Tan bit. But there again I have been supporting the club for over 50 years so I suppose it is a generation thing. I even saw the City clinch promotion against Villa when we played in Swansea Town's colours instead of Blue and do you know what ? Nobody there gave a stuff. We got promoted and that was all that mattered to us at the time.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:04 pm

Agree, except what was said about Tan. This poor excuse for a midfield is driving me to tears.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:50 pm

I agree with bulk of it. Even the tan part is fairly true. But let's be fair to gunnar and whits they have played well under slade noone and pilks tho not really poor do cut inside which takes our width away. Yet this can change if played on correct wing adding width. Surely the coaches know u attack wide and defend narrow. Slade i am in favour of giving a chance. However needs to look at few other players rather than main 11. Young definitely needs to drop back down to reserve or youth.
Marshall not captain material defo think should be gunnar

Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:50 pm

The football has been boring since Malky took charge. Even our promotion season was quite boring. Yes we won a lot of games but it was rarely exciting. Slade might well turn out to be crap but until he gets the chance to bring in some of his own players to fit his preferred style of play we should all give him a break. Respect your point of view though. :thumbup:

Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:51 pm

42yrs + supporting and tbh nothing changes we have good times bad times, good owners bad owners, good team bad team, the one thing that as changed immesserably is the fans! Present day ones only want good times ect ect and are perpetual wingebags!!

As for Portsmouth people forget why they are in position they are in that was because of bad ownership, and they got what they deserved! but because of there fans they survived we would not have survived because our fans are pathetic only need look at present people on here to see that!

Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:01 pm

We've missed a trick by not appointing a decent set of back room staff to help slade. They guy has never managed above the bottom two and you can tell.. If he had a proven number 2 to work with instead of a guy relying on his Leeds goal to get him into the position he is at now. Totally out of his depth ...

Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:56 pm

Fooking hell Annis I didn't realise my good mate Peter Fryer was seventy years old. :lol: :lol: :lol: Old fucker :bluescarf:

Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:05 pm

Annis, with Pompey now debt free, and with their home attendances higher than their competitors they will quickly get their act together.

They will be playing against us in a few years time I have little doubt. They will progress while we stagnate

Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:14 pm

ThomasC wrote:

Annis, with Pompey now debt free, and with their home attendances higher than their competitors they will quickly get their act together.

They will be playing against us in a few years time I have little doubt. They will progress while we stagnate

Good old Portsmouth if you think there will be any resemblence to us if we went their route living in dreamland! Crowds 4 or 5k for us is what we will get in div 2, maybe just maybe in ten years we will be back to something like champ! But I wouldn't hold my breath, as how long have they been in lower leagues? And we are nowhere near them in way of fan base! :old:

Oh but we will be in blue maybe! :o

Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:39 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
ThomasC wrote:

Good old Portsmouth if you think there will be any resemblence to us if we went their route living in dreamland! Crowds 4 or 5k for us is what we will get in div 2, maybe just maybe in ten years we will be back to something like champ! But I wouldn't hold my breath, as how long have they been in lower leagues? And we are nowhere near them in way of fan base! :old:

Oh but we will be in blue maybe! :o

It's an interesting thought Allan, I have to agree as history shows we wouldn't get the attendance figures of Pompey playing L2 :thumbup:

Without sugar daddy investment maybe we are a club that will yo-yo around the leagues and would struggle at Championship level. Can't argue with your comments.

Would defo prefer that, and playing in blue. Maybe our level is lower than what some would like to think it is. Chasing the dream ruined the club financially and morally :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:46 pm

ThomasC wrote:

Thomas, their club and fans are stronger than ever and have pride/passion and loyalty, They can be proud,plus amazing support.

They United together :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

WELL DONE POMPEY :thumbright: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:59 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
ThomasC wrote:

Thomas, their club and fans are stronger than ever and have pride/passion and loyalty, They can be proud,plus amazing support.

They United together :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

You and thousands like you will support City no matter what league they play :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

I predict great times after the circus has ended, pride/passion will return as soon as the ringmaster of all this clown-foolary sells up and leaves :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:06 pm

Ditto, without Tan we would have struggled but would have battled our way back, in BLUE :bluescarf:

Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:07 pm

ThomasC wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
ThomasC wrote:

You and thousands like you will support City no matter what league they play :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

I predict great times after the circus has ended, pride/passion will return as soon as the ringmaster of all this clown-foolary sells up and leaves :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Thomas, I dont care what some of Tans followers Say, I would rather be proud/enjoy my football and be united as one, than be a divided club without an identity :thumbright: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

And your right Thomas, 9 years in the 4th Division and I never missed one single home or away game :thumbright: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:09 pm

bluespeers wrote:

Ditto, without Tan we would have struggled but would have battled our way back, in BLUE :bluescarf:

Without a doubt we would of,Ive said it since day one, The Red brigade lied and said it was Red or Dead :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:19 pm

Red or dead is the biggest lie since man first started saying "NO I wont cum in your mouth" :thumbright:

Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:25 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:Red or dead is the biggest lie since man first started saying "NO I wont cum in your mouth" :thumbright:

Nukes and Tans Red brigade and as they use to say the usual suspects are suddenly now all BLUE :lol: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:35 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:Red or dead is the biggest lie since man first started saying "NO I wont cum in your mouth" :thumbright:

Nukes and Tans Red brigade and as they use to say the usual suspects are suddenly now all BLUE :lol: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Yeah and our Women's mouths are also full of Knob snot :lol: :lol:

Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:07 am

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:What really is concerning us that some fans cannot see beyond the 3 points!

Yes, Slade has picked up 4 home wins, however look at those performances and the away performances. We have been fortunate to pick up the wins. Some say we got the 3 points last Friday against Reading. Obviously points count and a win us a win but the concern is that won't happen every time. Our performance was abysmal and we were lucky to come away with a win. We did not deserve the win and you could argue probably not the draw either. We were terrible.

Fans want more than the points. Fans pay good, hard earned money to be entertained by THEIR team. Who wants to go out on a cold, damp night to be served up with a lot of rubbish? There is no wonder that the crowds are dwindling. There could have only been 14-15k in the stadium against Reading. Even when we found ourselves to be 2-0 up by fortune instead of going forwRd and killing Reading off we sat back and played middle of the park football passing from side to side. We couldn't even string a series of passes together.

Let's hope that our performances improve.

why are you talking utter nonsense? in which of out 4 home games have we been lucky to win?